|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
(a) She misses the bus to church.
(b) She misses Gus Trenor whom she wanted to ask for a loan.
(c) She misses spending time with Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
(d) She is late for breakfast, risking her social standing.
2. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
(b) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(c) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
(d) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
3. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
(a) A divorced party guest.
(b) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
(c) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(d) A wealthy social rival of Mrs. Trenor.
4. In book 1, chapter 7, who meets Lily when she returns from her walk with Lawrence Selden ?
(a) Percy Gryce.
(b) Bertha Dorset.
(c) Lawrence Selden.
(d) Mrs. Trenor.
5. What does Lily actually do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Gives them to Gerty Farish for safekeeping.
(b) Burns them.
(c) Hides them.
(d) Gives them back to Lawrence Selden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
2. How does the situation at the place where Lily goes after her cousin's wedding affect her mood?
3. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
4. In book 1, chapter 7, how does Percy Gryce react after Bertha Dorset talks to him about Lily?
5. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)