Book 1: Chapter 1
1. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) London, England.
(c) New York City, New York.
(d) Paris, France.
2. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
(b) Early 1900s.
(d) Early 1800s.
3. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
(a) She is going to work.
(b) She is waiting for an old friend.
(c) She is going to a social engagement.
(d) She is going on vacation.
4. What is Lily's reaction when she sees Lawrence Selden while she is waiting for her train?
(a) She sends her companion to get him.
(b) She is happy to see him.
(c) She cries.
(d) She avoids him.
5. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
(a) She declines his invitation because she is afraid she will miss her train.
(b) She says she prefers a less popular location.
(c) She becomes nervous and agitated.
(d) She immediately agrees.
This section contains 7,002 words
(approx. 24 pages at 300 words per page)