Book 1: Chapter 1
* Lily Bart sees her old friend Lawrence Selden while she is waiting for a train.
* Lawrence Selden suggests they have tea at a popular cafe while Lily waits for her train.
* Lily suggests a less popular place because she worries she will lose her social standing if she is seen with Lawrence Selden.
* Lily accepts Lawrence Selden's invitation to have tea in his apartment.
* Lily expresses her resentment in a woman's place and responsibility in society.
* Lily meets Simon Rosedale, a Jewish businessman, as she leaves Lawrence Selden's apartment building, and lies to him about her reason for being there.
Book 1: Chapter 2
* While on a train to a party at Bellomont, Lily plots to charm Percy Gryce, a shy, prudish, wealthy party-goer.
* As Lily walks past Percy Gryce, the movement of the train causes her to nearly fall into Percy's lap.
* Lily uses her wit and...
This section contains 2,769 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)