|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where Abel was born was similar to the ___________ where Ben had come from.
2. Returning to his horses, Francisco had smeared some of the _____________ onto the colt's muzzle.
3. What did Abel wrap his grandfather's hair around when he was preparing it?
4. What would Ben and Abel do during the day when they arrived at the answer to #122?
5. On the first and second days of his return, Abel had gone out and gotten ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of alcohol in this story is prevalent, with it changing the lives of all the bottle touches.
Part 1: Why is alcohol something so many people turn to in this story?
Part 2: Why doesn't alcohol seem to help anyone solve their problems?
Part 3: What might the story have been like without the presence of alcohol in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
During retreats, people would give offerings and pray at various holy places.
Part 1: Why do you think people felt the need to give offerings at the holy places?
Part 2: What might have been some of the offerings you would have left at the holy places?
Part 3: How do you think the offerings to the holy places help the offering person feel about themselves or their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of being different from others seems to affect each of the characters in different ways.
Part 1: How might Abel's life have been different had he not been thought of as foreign?
Part 2: Why do you think foreign is considered to be a bad thing in this book and in the lives of the characters?
Part 3: Do you believe that Abel is bad person? Why or why not?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)