|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Francisco and Abel look out over when they were at the Arroyo?
2. On the third day, Abel did not go out because it was _________, he was in pain, and he had no money.
3. Abel and his Relocation officer were already in the __________ office when Ben was called into his office one morning.
4. The ___________ book and ears of colored corn were also placed at Francisco's side.
5. Where would Ben and Abel sometimes go on Saturday mornings via the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The structure of the storytelling seems to be something is very special to the Native American culture.
Part 1: Why is storytelling so important within the context of this story?
Part 2: Why are stories important to share with others, especially those we love?
Part 3: Why is it important for the priests in this book to relate the stories of history?
Essay Topic 2
The initial opening with the trap that did not catch what it was intended to catch seems to be symbolic for the rest of the manuscript.
Part 1: In what way is Abel trapped in this story? Could he have avoided his trap?
Part 2: What other characters might be seen as trapped? Why?
Part 3: What might the symbolic dead body floating down the stream refer to in the story? Who also has been let go? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The role of nature is obvious in this story, with many of the important events taking place outside.
Part 1: Why do you think nature is important to the characters in the story?
Part 2: How might the story have changed had there been less nature and nature-based experiences for the characters?
Part 3: Do you believe nature to be an important part of your life?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)