|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other word for the bad cop, as Ben recalls in his memory of a bad police experience?
2. What was the most important set of tracks in the many tracks of animals Francisco had seen as a young man?
3. The ___________ book and ears of colored corn were also placed at Francisco's side.
4. Francisco showed that the event which took place in #169 focused on those that were ___________.
5. What did Francisco and Abel look out over when they were at the Arroyo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of running is also something which appears at various parts of the book as well.
Part 1: Why is the theme of running important in this story?
Part 2: How does running affect the life of Abel specifically?
Part 3: Which characters are 'running' in this story, in a figurative sense? Why?
Essay Topic 2
While it's never implicitly stated, Martinez obviously has a problem with Native Americans.
Part 1: List at least three examples of how Martinez displays his problem with Native Americans.
Part 2: Why do you think Momaday doesn't seem to create a more intense character of Martinez? Wouldn't it be easier to show Martinez as a prejudiced jerk?
Part 3: What does Martinez bring to the novel? What does his presence create in the book?
Essay Topic 3
While the title of this book refers to a specific location, it seems to also refer to other themes which are addressed in the book.
Part 1: How does the idea of 'dawn' relate to the events which take place in this story?
Part 2: How does the idea of 'dawn' relate to Abel's life and experiences in the story?
Part 3: Why do you think M. Scott Momaday chose the title he did?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)