|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was NOT one of the people who hung out with Abel on his last night in town before leaving on the bus?
2. ____________ at the Wide Ruins trading post had told Ben about the squaw dance, so Ben tried to figure out how to go.
3. Whose gray coat was Francisco wearing on top of him to prevent him from getting too cold?
4. At what time of day did Francisco take his grandsons to the answer to the question in 147?
5. Francisco's girlfriend saw the reaction in #165 and she ___________ after the birthing process was over.
Essay Topic 1
It's apparent that the role of spirituality is one that is important, even as it stretches across Walatowa and Los Angeles.
Part 1: Why are the priests so important within the context of the story?
Part 2: How does Father Olguin affect the other characters in this book?
Part 3: How does Tosamah affect others within the context of this story?
Essay Topic 2
The memories that flood back into Abel's mind give the reader a sense of who he was when he was younger, but also a sense of who is is in the present day.
Part 1: Why do you think Momaday decided to write about Abel through the memories he has?
Part 2: Why are memories a good way to get to know someone?
Part 3: Do you think the story would have been stronger if the life story of Abel had been told in a more conventional way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The structure of the storytelling seems to be something is very special to the Native American culture.
Part 1: Why is storytelling so important within the context of this story?
Part 2: Why are stories important to share with others, especially those we love?
Part 3: Why is it important for the priests in this book to relate the stories of history?
This section contains 1,511 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)