|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ben tried to share his __________ with Abel, but Abel would not take it.
2. Francisco showed that the event which took place in #169 focused on those that were ___________.
3. After a long 12-hour shift at the plant, Ben and Abel went to Tosamah's for _________ and drinking.
4. Abel came upon other _______ and at the first sign of dawn they all set off, and even though Abel fell, he got up and kept on going.
5. Who was the man at the party who continued to insult Abel, even though it was not directly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The memories that flood back into Abel's mind give the reader a sense of who he was when he was younger, but also a sense of who is is in the present day.
Part 1: Why do you think Momaday decided to write about Abel through the memories he has?
Part 2: Why are memories a good way to get to know someone?
Part 3: Do you think the story would have been stronger if the life story of Abel had been told in a more conventional way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The initial opening with the trap that did not catch what it was intended to catch seems to be symbolic for the rest of the manuscript.
Part 1: In what way is Abel trapped in this story? Could he have avoided his trap?
Part 2: What other characters might be seen as trapped? Why?
Part 3: What might the symbolic dead body floating down the stream refer to in the story? Who also has been let go? Why?
Essay Topic 3
At times, it seems the portrayal of women is a bit less than fair, especially in the minds of female readers.
Part 1: What are the main characteristics the female characters in the book share?
Part 2: Are women shown to be strong and powerful? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think women aren't portrayed in a more positive light? Or are they?
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)