|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day did Francisco take his grandsons to the answer to the question in 147?
2. Who stops at the Silver Dollar on his way back from the bus station?
3. On the third day, Abel did not go out because it was _________, he was in pain, and he had no money.
4. Who gives Abel his only coat when he accompanies him to the bus station?
5. What did Abel wrap his grandfather's hair around when he was preparing it?
Essay Topic 1
There are vast differences between the older and the newer generations of Native Americans in this story.
Part 1: Compare and contrast the older and newer generations of Native Americans in this story.
Part 2: Do you think the newer generation of Native Americans is hopeful? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does Momaday seem to be saying for the future of Native Americans?
Essay Topic 2
The family connections in this story are compelling, though they might not always be positive.
Part 1: How does family play a role in Abel's life?
Part 2: Does the author seem to believe family is important? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Abel's father was not a part of his life?
Essay Topic 3
The memories that flood back into Abel's mind give the reader a sense of who he was when he was younger, but also a sense of who is is in the present day.
Part 1: Why do you think Momaday decided to write about Abel through the memories he has?
Part 2: Why are memories a good way to get to know someone?
Part 3: Do you think the story would have been stronger if the life story of Abel had been told in a more conventional way? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,495 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)