Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day did Francisco take his grandsons to the answer to the question in 147?
2. Who stops at the Silver Dollar on his way back from the bus station?
3. On the third day, Abel did not go out because it was _________, he was in pain, and he had no money.
4. Who gives Abel his only coat when he accompanies him to the bus station?
5. What did Abel wrap his grandfather's hair around when he was preparing it?
Essay Topic 1
The idea of being different from others seems to affect each of the characters in different ways.
Part 1: How might Abel's life have been different had he not been thought of as foreign?
Part 2: Why do you think foreign is considered to be a bad thing in this book and in the lives of the characters?
Part 3: Do you believe that Abel is bad person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It's obvious that Momaday cares deeply for the Native American culture and its preservation, which makes sense as he is also of Native American descent.
Part 1: How do you think Momaday portrays Native Americans? In a positive way or in a negative way?
Part 2: How do you think Momaday's own cultural background may have influenced his storytelling?
Part 3: Had the author not been Native American, how might the story have changed?
Essay Topic 3
The initial opening with the trap that did not catch what it was intended to catch seems to be symbolic for the rest of the manuscript.
Part 1: In what way is Abel trapped in this story? Could he have avoided his trap?
Part 2: What other characters might be seen as trapped? Why?
Part 3: What might the symbolic dead body floating down the stream refer to in the story? Who also has been let go? Why?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)