|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ at the Wide Ruins trading post had told Ben about the squaw dance, so Ben tried to figure out how to go.
2. Returning to his horses, Francisco had smeared some of the _____________ onto the colt's muzzle.
3. What was the name of the girl that Ben eventually met at the squaw dance, riding there from Sam Charley's place?
4. What was the name of the foreman at the plant where Abel worked?
5. Who gives Abel his only coat when he accompanies him to the bus station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abel makes the decision to go off to war, even though he'd never been in an automobile before or seen the world.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to go off to war?
Part 2: What were some of the positive outcomes of Abel's tour in the foreign war?
Part 3: How might Abel's life have been different had he not gone off to fight in the war?
Essay Topic 2
The rain is present at various points in the story, points where there are significant changes for the characters.
Part 1: Why is rain present at the time when Angela and Abel make love?
Part 2: Why do you think rain occurs when Abel leaves Los Angeles to go back to Walatowa?
Part 3: Why is rain present after Francisco dies?
Essay Topic 3
Very often, flashbacks are being use in the story to help the reader understand present day characters.
Part 1: Why are flashbacks used more often than present day narrative pieces?
Part 2: Why do you think flashbacks are triggered in Abel?
Part 3: What makes the flashbacks more powerful than the modern day actions and stories?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)