|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a young man, Francisco had ridden out on a buckskin colt, leading the _____________ horse.
2. Martinez had Abel hold his _________ out so that he could strike them with his stick.
3. What did Francisco eat after disemboweling the animal that he killed while off in the woods?
4. What does Ben buy with the $3 he is given by the person who gives him the money he was loaned?
5. ____________ at the Wide Ruins trading post had told Ben about the squaw dance, so Ben tried to figure out how to go.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The rain is present at various points in the story, points where there are significant changes for the characters.
Part 1: Why is rain present at the time when Angela and Abel make love?
Part 2: Why do you think rain occurs when Abel leaves Los Angeles to go back to Walatowa?
Part 3: Why is rain present after Francisco dies?
Essay Topic 2
The scene in which Abel kills the albino seems to be a striking and yet understandable scene.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to kill the albino?
Part 2: How do you think Abel felt about killing the albino?
Part 3: What is the potential symbolism of this scene? What might it represent in terms of race relations, for example?
Essay Topic 3
It's obvious that Momaday cares deeply for the Native American culture and its preservation, which makes sense as he is also of Native American descent.
Part 1: How do you think Momaday portrays Native Americans? In a positive way or in a negative way?
Part 2: How do you think Momaday's own cultural background may have influenced his storytelling?
Part 3: Had the author not been Native American, how might the story have changed?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)