|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of the child that Francisco and the girl conceived during their relationship?
2. Francisco smeared the substance on his colt because they had both _____________ in this experience.
3. Abel dressed his grandfather in bright ceremonial __________ as he prepared his body.
4. Francisco showed that the event which took place in #169 focused on those that were ___________.
5. What was the most important set of tracks in the many tracks of animals Francisco had seen as a young man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Very often, flashbacks are being use in the story to help the reader understand present day characters.
Part 1: Why are flashbacks used more often than present day narrative pieces?
Part 2: Why do you think flashbacks are triggered in Abel?
Part 3: What makes the flashbacks more powerful than the modern day actions and stories?
Essay Topic 2
The rain is present at various points in the story, points where there are significant changes for the characters.
Part 1: Why is rain present at the time when Angela and Abel make love?
Part 2: Why do you think rain occurs when Abel leaves Los Angeles to go back to Walatowa?
Part 3: Why is rain present after Francisco dies?
Essay Topic 3
The memories that flood back into Abel's mind give the reader a sense of who he was when he was younger, but also a sense of who is is in the present day.
Part 1: Why do you think Momaday decided to write about Abel through the memories he has?
Part 2: Why are memories a good way to get to know someone?
Part 3: Do you think the story would have been stronger if the life story of Abel had been told in a more conventional way? Why or why not?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)