|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where would Ben and Abel sometimes go on Saturday mornings via the bus?
2. What was in the pouch that Francisco held which helped to mark the face of the animal he killed?
3. On the first and second days of his return, Abel had gone out and gotten ___________.
4. Who does Ben ask for money that is owed to him from a previous lending situation?
5. When Abel and Ben sat on the hill, _______ sang softly the House Made of Dawn.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of nature is obvious in this story, with many of the important events taking place outside.
Part 1: Why do you think nature is important to the characters in the story?
Part 2: How might the story have changed had there been less nature and nature-based experiences for the characters?
Part 3: Do you believe nature to be an important part of your life?
Essay Topic 2
During retreats, people would give offerings and pray at various holy places.
Part 1: Why do you think people felt the need to give offerings at the holy places?
Part 2: What might have been some of the offerings you would have left at the holy places?
Part 3: How do you think the offerings to the holy places help the offering person feel about themselves or their lives?
Essay Topic 3
While it's never implicitly stated, Martinez obviously has a problem with Native Americans.
Part 1: List at least three examples of how Martinez displays his problem with Native Americans.
Part 2: Why do you think Momaday doesn't seem to create a more intense character of Martinez? Wouldn't it be easier to show Martinez as a prejudiced jerk?
Part 3: What does Martinez bring to the novel? What does his presence create in the book?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)