|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he returned to town, the ___________ carried by his hunting horse, the people greeted Francisco with jubilation.
2. Abel was going home to the ______________ for a year or two, according to the plan he had.
3. Ben remembered a girl who used to laugh the way Milly laughed. He met her at a squaw dance at ___________.
4. Abel told Ben and Milly a story about a ___________ he had on the reservation and how it used to love the water.
5. Who was NOT one of the people Ben thought would not leave Abel alone?
Essay Topic 1
The rain is present at various points in the story, points where there are significant changes for the characters.
Part 1: Why is rain present at the time when Angela and Abel make love?
Part 2: Why do you think rain occurs when Abel leaves Los Angeles to go back to Walatowa?
Part 3: Why is rain present after Francisco dies?
Essay Topic 2
The role of nature is obvious in this story, with many of the important events taking place outside.
Part 1: Why do you think nature is important to the characters in the story?
Part 2: How might the story have changed had there been less nature and nature-based experiences for the characters?
Part 3: Do you believe nature to be an important part of your life?
Essay Topic 3
The family connections in this story are compelling, though they might not always be positive.
Part 1: How does family play a role in Abel's life?
Part 2: Does the author seem to believe family is important? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Abel's father was not a part of his life?
This section contains 1,508 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)