|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Abel his only coat when he accompanies him to the bus station?
2. Who does Ben ask for money that is owed to him from a previous lending situation?
3. Martinez had Abel hold his _________ out so that he could strike them with his stick.
4. ___________ is in bad shape, his hands are bandaged, his nose is broken, and there is swelling around his eyes.
5. On the first and second days of his return, Abel had gone out and gotten ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of alcohol in this story is prevalent, with it changing the lives of all the bottle touches.
Part 1: Why is alcohol something so many people turn to in this story?
Part 2: Why doesn't alcohol seem to help anyone solve their problems?
Part 3: What might the story have been like without the presence of alcohol in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of running is also something which appears at various parts of the book as well.
Part 1: Why is the theme of running important in this story?
Part 2: How does running affect the life of Abel specifically?
Part 3: Which characters are 'running' in this story, in a figurative sense? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The structure of the storytelling seems to be something is very special to the Native American culture.
Part 1: Why is storytelling so important within the context of this story?
Part 2: Why are stories important to share with others, especially those we love?
Part 3: Why is it important for the priests in this book to relate the stories of history?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)