|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Abel tell about his grandfather's death first after riding to the mission?
2. Abel told Ben and Milly a story about a ___________ he had on the reservation and how it used to love the water.
3. After a long 12-hour shift at the plant, Ben and Abel went to Tosamah's for _________ and drinking.
4. Abel offered an old man a lift, but the horse gave up halfway through the water and decided to ____________ in the river.
5. Ben had made up the plan while Abel was still in __________, but Abel began to believe in it and so did Ben.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of alcohol in this story is prevalent, with it changing the lives of all the bottle touches.
Part 1: Why is alcohol something so many people turn to in this story?
Part 2: Why doesn't alcohol seem to help anyone solve their problems?
Part 3: What might the story have been like without the presence of alcohol in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
There are vast differences between the older and the newer generations of Native Americans in this story.
Part 1: Compare and contrast the older and newer generations of Native Americans in this story.
Part 2: Do you think the newer generation of Native Americans is hopeful? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does Momaday seem to be saying for the future of Native Americans?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of being different from others seems to affect each of the characters in different ways.
Part 1: How might Abel's life have been different had he not been thought of as foreign?
Part 2: Why do you think foreign is considered to be a bad thing in this book and in the lives of the characters?
Part 3: Do you believe that Abel is bad person? Why or why not?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)