|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Milly even found Abel a night job at a __________, but he did not even show up for that job.
2. The answer to #149 would teach the boys when all the other ___________ and events of their lives were to occur.
3. As a young man, Francisco had ridden out on a buckskin colt, leading the _____________ horse.
4. What did Francisco complain of, even though there was no reason for his complaint as far as Abel could see?
5. At what time of day did Francisco take his grandsons to the answer to the question in 147?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Very often, flashbacks are being use in the story to help the reader understand present day characters.
Part 1: Why are flashbacks used more often than present day narrative pieces?
Part 2: Why do you think flashbacks are triggered in Abel?
Part 3: What makes the flashbacks more powerful than the modern day actions and stories?
Essay Topic 2
The role of alcohol in this story is prevalent, with it changing the lives of all the bottle touches.
Part 1: Why is alcohol something so many people turn to in this story?
Part 2: Why doesn't alcohol seem to help anyone solve their problems?
Part 3: What might the story have been like without the presence of alcohol in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Angela seems to be restless in her life, trying to seduce Abel and make herself feel pretty again.
Part 1: Why do you think Angela is so restless about her life?
Part 2: Do you think Angela's marriage is a happy one? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Abel decided to sleep with Angela, even though he doesn't think she's pretty?
This section contains 1,507 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)