|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tosamah's grandmother was ____________ eight or ten years after the surrender of the Kiowa.
2. How much is Abel paid to cut the wood that Mrs. Martin St. John asks him to cut up for her?
3. ________ thought the gray geese to be beautiful against the moon as they flew.
4. Abel keeps himself in the __________ as he makes his way through the city, in order to keep himself hidden.
5. The ___________ Watchers Society was the principal ceremonial organization of the Bahkyush.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Nicolas teach-whau - who was this women to Abel in this story?
2. Describe the group called the Bahkyush. Who are they and how might they be described to others?
3. What is the legal result of Abel flipping off the others in the tank, even though they almost run over him?
4. What happens in the memory Abel has of his grandfather calling him as he heard the old men pray?
5. What is in the trap that Francisco set a long time ago at the opening of the book?
6. What did Francisco tell Abel about the area across the Arroyo Bajo to the edge of the red rock that looked out over the plain?
7. What did Milly's father do for her in order to give her the best life she could hope to have?
8. When Tosamah's grandmother, Aho, dies, what does he do for her the following summer?
9. What was the plan that Abel and Ben shared before Abel left the following day?
10. What were some of the things the sun could teach the grandsons about, according to Francisco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angela seems to be restless in her life, trying to seduce Abel and make herself feel pretty again.
Part 1: Why do you think Angela is so restless about her life?
Part 2: Do you think Angela's marriage is a happy one? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Abel decided to sleep with Angela, even though he doesn't think she's pretty?
Essay Topic 2
During retreats, people would give offerings and pray at various holy places.
Part 1: Why do you think people felt the need to give offerings at the holy places?
Part 2: What might have been some of the offerings you would have left at the holy places?
Part 3: How do you think the offerings to the holy places help the offering person feel about themselves or their lives?
Essay Topic 3
There are vast differences between the older and the newer generations of Native Americans in this story.
Part 1: Compare and contrast the older and newer generations of Native Americans in this story.
Part 2: Do you think the newer generation of Native Americans is hopeful? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does Momaday seem to be saying for the future of Native Americans?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)