|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the governor and the officials sitting, making those the places of honor in the group?
2. When Abel went to look at the bird he caught, helpless in the sack, he felt bad so he __________ it.
3. What did the female eagle in the mating flight carry in her claws as she flew, dropping it to the male?
4. Father Olguin dresses in the __________ chasuble while outside people shuffle in the pews.
5. When the tasks of #35 were completed, Abel set off to the _________ all by himself to complete his task.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ben sign softly as he and Abel sat up on the hill before the final departure of Abel the next day?
2. What did Abel do after realizing that his grandfather had died during a moment when Abel fell asleep?
3. Why didn't Abel go to see his grandfather's house on the third day after his arrival?
4. Who did not dance when the group of men got together to get drunk the night before Abel's departure?
5. What were some of the ways Tosamah insulted Abel, even though he did not do so directly?
6. Who went up to the hill to get drunk the night before Abel left for the bus station?
7. What happened on the night of the memory that Abel recalls about himself and about his brother, Vidal?
8. What is in the trap that Francisco set a long time ago at the opening of the book?
9. What did Father Olguin think caused Abel to kill the albino so many years ago, testifying in court to this being the reason for Abel's actions?
10. After Abel had his experience with the box canyon, what did he do after that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The initial opening with the trap that did not catch what it was intended to catch seems to be symbolic for the rest of the manuscript.
Part 1: In what way is Abel trapped in this story? Could he have avoided his trap?
Part 2: What other characters might be seen as trapped? Why?
Part 3: What might the symbolic dead body floating down the stream refer to in the story? Who also has been let go? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of being different from others seems to affect each of the characters in different ways.
Part 1: How might Abel's life have been different had he not been thought of as foreign?
Part 2: Why do you think foreign is considered to be a bad thing in this book and in the lives of the characters?
Part 3: Do you believe that Abel is bad person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
During retreats, people would give offerings and pray at various holy places.
Part 1: Why do you think people felt the need to give offerings at the holy places?
Part 2: What might have been some of the offerings you would have left at the holy places?
Part 3: How do you think the offerings to the holy places help the offering person feel about themselves or their lives?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)