|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the old Kiowa woman that Tosamah references in his story during the sermon he is giving?
2. The man who crossed the canyon after four days encountered a man with the feet of a ___________.
3. What did Milly eventually do for her profession, as Abel remembered as he was lying in pain?
4. What is the first job Milly had when she finally moved to the new town after leaving her father's farm?
5. Who was armed with a shotgun when they decided to go shoot gray geese?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the ways Tosamah insulted Abel, even though he did not do so directly?
2. Describe the life of Milly and how Abel recalls it unfolding as he is lying in the ditch, injured and unable to do anything but think.
3. What did Abel do after realizing that his grandfather had died during a moment when Abel fell asleep?
4. Who is the Priest of the Sun, who appears at the beginning of this second chapter of the book?
5. What does Ben do when he goes to the Silver Dollar after dropping off Abel at the bus station?
6. Who did Ben think never left Abel alone during the two months that he and Abel were friends and things were going well for Abel?
7. What did Tosamah have to do in order to reach the grave of his grandmother when he went out to visit her?
8. What is Abel's final memory before leaving to head off to the war to fight?
9. What did Milly's father do for her in order to give her the best life she could hope to have?
10. What did Ben sign softly as he and Abel sat up on the hill before the final departure of Abel the next day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During retreats, people would give offerings and pray at various holy places.
Part 1: Why do you think people felt the need to give offerings at the holy places?
Part 2: What might have been some of the offerings you would have left at the holy places?
Part 3: How do you think the offerings to the holy places help the offering person feel about themselves or their lives?
Essay Topic 2
The initial opening with the trap that did not catch what it was intended to catch seems to be symbolic for the rest of the manuscript.
Part 1: In what way is Abel trapped in this story? Could he have avoided his trap?
Part 2: What other characters might be seen as trapped? Why?
Part 3: What might the symbolic dead body floating down the stream refer to in the story? Who also has been let go? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The family connections in this story are compelling, though they might not always be positive.
Part 1: How does family play a role in Abel's life?
Part 2: Does the author seem to believe family is important? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Abel's father was not a part of his life?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)