|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was NOT one of the members of the prayer meeting with Tosamah?
2. What was the name of the great volcanic crater that lay high up on the western slope of the range?
3. Father Olguin dresses in the __________ chasuble while outside people shuffle in the pews.
4. There was plenty of excitement at the gathering in January of 1937 as the men shouted and _______________.
5. Francisco and Abel went to the ________ where some old people had already gathered and begun to sing.
Short Essay Questions
1. As Abel stares out into the silent valley, what is the memory he recalls having shared with Vidal?
2. What does Tosamah include in his sermon about the Word and Truth as he preaches in Los Angeles?
3. What is Abel's final memory before leaving to head off to the war to fight?
4. What did Francisco come upon as a young man, riding out on a buckskin colt and leading a hunting horse?
5. After Abel had his experience with the box canyon, what did he do after that?
6. What occurred as a result of Abel's father being an outsider, even though Abel never knew him?
7. What did Abel do in response to Tosamah's insults during the card game they shared after a 12-hour shift?
8. What were some of the ways Tosamah insulted Abel, even though he did not do so directly?
9. Why didn't Abel go to see his grandfather's house on the third day after his arrival?
10. How did Abel and Ben meet each other for the first time, as Ben recalls it during a trip down memory lane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's obvious that Momaday cares deeply for the Native American culture and its preservation, which makes sense as he is also of Native American descent.
Part 1: How do you think Momaday portrays Native Americans? In a positive way or in a negative way?
Part 2: How do you think Momaday's own cultural background may have influenced his storytelling?
Part 3: Had the author not been Native American, how might the story have changed?
Essay Topic 2
Abel makes the decision to go off to war, even though he'd never been in an automobile before or seen the world.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to go off to war?
Part 2: What were some of the positive outcomes of Abel's tour in the foreign war?
Part 3: How might Abel's life have been different had he not gone off to fight in the war?
Essay Topic 3
There are vast differences between the older and the newer generations of Native Americans in this story.
Part 1: Compare and contrast the older and newer generations of Native Americans in this story.
Part 2: Do you think the newer generation of Native Americans is hopeful? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does Momaday seem to be saying for the future of Native Americans?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)