|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Abel is 17, Francisco gets him to go hunting and the first animal he kills is a ______________.
2. Where were the governor and the officials sitting, making those the places of honor in the group?
3. Who is the old Kiowa woman that Tosamah references in his story during the sermon he is giving?
4. To find his grandmother's grave, Tosamah has to walk along the path of the _______________.
5. What is the profession of the husband of Mrs. Martin St. John as is revealed when she speaks to Father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who managed to fix Abel's bad back when he was thrown off his horse, even though his grandfather could not?
2. When Abel's body is wracked with pain as he is lying in the ditch, what is the memory he recalls about his grandfather?
3. What is in the trap that Francisco set a long time ago at the opening of the book?
4. What does Tosamah include in his sermon about the Word and Truth as he preaches in Los Angeles?
5. What was the plan that Abel and Ben shared before Abel left the following day?
6. What things did Ben offer to Abel on the first day they were introduced to each other?
7. What happened during the summer and the autumn rain retreats, according to the stories in the book?
8. Where did Francisco take his grandsons once he believed they were old enough for it?
9. Who went up to the hill to get drunk the night before Abel left for the bus station?
10. What does Abel see as he is looking out over the rim of the Valle Grande?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of being different from others seems to affect each of the characters in different ways.
Part 1: How might Abel's life have been different had he not been thought of as foreign?
Part 2: Why do you think foreign is considered to be a bad thing in this book and in the lives of the characters?
Part 3: Do you believe that Abel is bad person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The memories that flood back into Abel's mind give the reader a sense of who he was when he was younger, but also a sense of who is is in the present day.
Part 1: Why do you think Momaday decided to write about Abel through the memories he has?
Part 2: Why are memories a good way to get to know someone?
Part 3: Do you think the story would have been stronger if the life story of Abel had been told in a more conventional way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It's apparent that the role of spirituality is one that is important, even as it stretches across Walatowa and Los Angeles.
Part 1: Why are the priests so important within the context of the story?
Part 2: How does Father Olguin affect the other characters in this book?
Part 3: How does Tosamah affect others within the context of this story?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)