|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Nicolas teah-whau beg for at the side of the road of others who passed?
2. Milly decided to come to ____________ when she had the money from her father and from his hard work.
3. How much is Abel paid to cut the wood that Mrs. Martin St. John asks him to cut up for her?
4. At ___________, Francisco and Abel waited for dawn at the house of Juliano Medina.
5. What is the first job Milly had when she finally moved to the new town after leaving her father's farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Abel had his experience with the box canyon, what did he do after that?
2. What did Abel do after he left his grandfather's house after Francisco died?
3. Who managed to fix Abel's bad back when he was thrown off his horse, even though his grandfather could not?
4. What happens when Abel comes off the bus when Francisco comes to pick him up?
5. What happens in the memory Abel has of his grandfather calling him as he heard the old men pray?
6. What were some of the signs that Abel's grandfather was dying, at least according to Abel?
7. What does Abel see as he is looking out over the rim of the Valle Grande?
8. Describe the history of the Kiowa, as Tosamah describes it from his own memory and his own experience.
9. Who went up to the hill to get drunk the night before Abel left for the bus station?
10. As Abel stares out into the silent valley, what is the memory he recalls having shared with Vidal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abel makes the decision to go off to war, even though he'd never been in an automobile before or seen the world.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to go off to war?
Part 2: What were some of the positive outcomes of Abel's tour in the foreign war?
Part 3: How might Abel's life have been different had he not gone off to fight in the war?
Essay Topic 2
The initial opening with the trap that did not catch what it was intended to catch seems to be symbolic for the rest of the manuscript.
Part 1: In what way is Abel trapped in this story? Could he have avoided his trap?
Part 2: What other characters might be seen as trapped? Why?
Part 3: What might the symbolic dead body floating down the stream refer to in the story? Who also has been let go? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The scene in which Abel kills the albino seems to be a striking and yet understandable scene.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to kill the albino?
Part 2: How do you think Abel felt about killing the albino?
Part 3: What is the potential symbolism of this scene? What might it represent in terms of race relations, for example?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)