|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stood up, shouted, and gave the finger to the tank and soldiers who turned and shot at him?
2. In the lower meadows of the basin of the Valle Grande, the group of men set about capturing __________.
3. What does Mrs. Martin St. John ask Father Olguin to help her find when she stays in town?
4. In what month did Abel's mother die, even though he had been told all along it was nothing?
5. What is the first job Milly had when she finally moved to the new town after leaving her father's farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the plan that Abel and Ben shared before Abel left the following day?
2. What were some of the ways Tosamah insulted Abel, even though he did not do so directly?
3. What happened when Abel finally did go back to work after the incident at the card game?
4. What does Abel do when he sees the bird in the sack after it has been captured?
5. Who did Ben think never left Abel alone during the two months that he and Abel were friends and things were going well for Abel?
6. What happens when Abel comes off the bus when Francisco comes to pick him up?
7. What occurred as a result of Abel's father being an outsider, even though Abel never knew him?
8. What is in the trap that Francisco set a long time ago at the opening of the book?
9. Describe the life of Milly and how Abel recalls it unfolding as he is lying in the ditch, injured and unable to do anything but think.
10. What did Ben sign softly as he and Abel sat up on the hill before the final departure of Abel the next day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scene in which Abel kills the albino seems to be a striking and yet understandable scene.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to kill the albino?
Part 2: How do you think Abel felt about killing the albino?
Part 3: What is the potential symbolism of this scene? What might it represent in terms of race relations, for example?
Essay Topic 2
While it's never implicitly stated, Martinez obviously has a problem with Native Americans.
Part 1: List at least three examples of how Martinez displays his problem with Native Americans.
Part 2: Why do you think Momaday doesn't seem to create a more intense character of Martinez? Wouldn't it be easier to show Martinez as a prejudiced jerk?
Part 3: What does Martinez bring to the novel? What does his presence create in the book?
Essay Topic 3
During retreats, people would give offerings and pray at various holy places.
Part 1: Why do you think people felt the need to give offerings at the holy places?
Part 2: What might have been some of the offerings you would have left at the holy places?
Part 3: How do you think the offerings to the holy places help the offering person feel about themselves or their lives?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)