|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Abel's final memory before leaving for war was his _____________ crying as he did not understand why Abel wanted to go.
2. Francisco and Abel went to the ________ where some old people had already gathered and begun to sing.
3. What did the female eagle in the mating flight carry in her claws as she flew, dropping it to the male?
4. At ___________, Francisco and Abel waited for dawn at the house of Juliano Medina.
5. Milly decided to come to ____________ when she had the money from her father and from his hard work.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the memory Abel has of his grandfather calling him as he heard the old men pray?
2. Describe the character of Nicolas teach-whau - who was this women to Abel in this story?
3. Why does Ben think that Milly is going to come around anymore, according to what he has noticed?
4. Describe the history of the Kiowa, as Tosamah describes it from his own memory and his own experience.
5. What surrounded Francisco in his camp when he was riding out as a young man?
6. As Abel stares out into the silent valley, what is the memory he recalls having shared with Vidal?
7. What did Abel do after realizing that his grandfather had died during a moment when Abel fell asleep?
8. What did Francisco do to the bear after he finally tracked him down in the forest and then killed him?
9. What happens when Abel sings and calls out during one of the rain retreats, according to his memory?
10. How did Abel and Ben meet each other for the first time, as Ben recalls it during a trip down memory lane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The structure of the storytelling seems to be something is very special to the Native American culture.
Part 1: Why is storytelling so important within the context of this story?
Part 2: Why are stories important to share with others, especially those we love?
Part 3: Why is it important for the priests in this book to relate the stories of history?
Essay Topic 2
The role of alcohol in this story is prevalent, with it changing the lives of all the bottle touches.
Part 1: Why is alcohol something so many people turn to in this story?
Part 2: Why doesn't alcohol seem to help anyone solve their problems?
Part 3: What might the story have been like without the presence of alcohol in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The scene in which Abel kills the albino seems to be a striking and yet understandable scene.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to kill the albino?
Part 2: How do you think Abel felt about killing the albino?
Part 3: What is the potential symbolism of this scene? What might it represent in terms of race relations, for example?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)