|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At age ____________, Milly's father gave her all of his savings in order to get her to live a better life elsewhere.
2. In what month did Abel's mother die, even though he had been told all along it was nothing?
3. What is the first job Milly had when she finally moved to the new town after leaving her father's farm?
4. To find his grandmother's grave, Tosamah has to walk along the path of the _______________.
5. When Carrie was four years old, she _________________, after her father left for good.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship Francisco had with a young girl when he was a younger man.
2. What was the plan that Abel and Ben shared before Abel left the following day?
3. When Tosamah's grandmother, Aho, dies, what does he do for her the following summer?
4. What is the first animal that crosses Abel's path when the grandfather gets him up early to go hunting at daybreak?
5. Describe the appearance of Abel when Ben takes him to the bus station at the beginning of the chapter.
6. Describe the life of Milly and how Abel recalls it unfolding as he is lying in the ditch, injured and unable to do anything but think.
7. What did Francisco try to teach his grandsons when they were out at the old Campo Santo?
8. What caused Francisco to be afraid during the birth of his child, which then caused his girlfriend to leave him?
9. What did Francisco do after returning to his horses after killing the bear in a sort of rite of passage?
10. What were some of the ways Tosamah insulted Abel, even though he did not do so directly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, it seems the portrayal of women is a bit less than fair, especially in the minds of female readers.
Part 1: What are the main characteristics the female characters in the book share?
Part 2: Are women shown to be strong and powerful? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think women aren't portrayed in a more positive light? Or are they?
Essay Topic 2
The scene in which Abel kills the albino seems to be a striking and yet understandable scene.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to kill the albino?
Part 2: How do you think Abel felt about killing the albino?
Part 3: What is the potential symbolism of this scene? What might it represent in terms of race relations, for example?
Essay Topic 3
The role of alcohol in this story is prevalent, with it changing the lives of all the bottle touches.
Part 1: Why is alcohol something so many people turn to in this story?
Part 2: Why doesn't alcohol seem to help anyone solve their problems?
Part 3: What might the story have been like without the presence of alcohol in the lives of the characters?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)