|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the grandmother that Tosamah is telling the story about?
2. Who is the old man who is driving his team of old mares along the river in a canyon at the beginning?
3. What does Mrs. Martin St. John ask Father Olguin to help her find when she stays in town?
4. Tosamah gives a sermon in the basement of a two-story red brick building in ______________ in which he lives.
5. Abel slept with one of ___________ daughter's, even though she dressed and ran away from him when he wanted her again.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Abel's body is wracked with pain as he is lying in the ditch, what is the memory he recalls about his grandfather?
2. How did Abel and Ben meet each other for the first time, as Ben recalls it during a trip down memory lane?
3. Who did Ben think never left Abel alone during the two months that he and Abel were friends and things were going well for Abel?
4. Describe the history of the Kiowa, as Tosamah describes it from his own memory and his own experience.
5. What did Milly's father do for her in order to give her the best life she could hope to have?
6. What happens in the memory Abel has of his grandfather calling him as he heard the old men pray?
7. Describe the relationship Francisco had with a young girl when he was a younger man.
8. Describe the group called the Bahkyush. Who are they and how might they be described to others?
9. What does Abel do when he sees the bird in the sack after it has been captured?
10. What were some of the signs that Abel's grandfather was dying, at least according to Abel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of alcohol in this story is prevalent, with it changing the lives of all the bottle touches.
Part 1: Why is alcohol something so many people turn to in this story?
Part 2: Why doesn't alcohol seem to help anyone solve their problems?
Part 3: What might the story have been like without the presence of alcohol in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
During retreats, people would give offerings and pray at various holy places.
Part 1: Why do you think people felt the need to give offerings at the holy places?
Part 2: What might have been some of the offerings you would have left at the holy places?
Part 3: How do you think the offerings to the holy places help the offering person feel about themselves or their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The rain is present at various points in the story, points where there are significant changes for the characters.
Part 1: Why is rain present at the time when Angela and Abel make love?
Part 2: Why do you think rain occurs when Abel leaves Los Angeles to go back to Walatowa?
Part 3: Why is rain present after Francisco dies?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)