|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sermon at the beginning of the chapter is about the __________ and the Truth.
2. Who was armed with a shotgun when they decided to go shoot gray geese?
3. The men in the prayer circle with Tosamah smoked and ate _____________.
4. What was Abel listening to men do when his grandfather called him to see his dead brother?
5. Tosamah gives a sermon in the basement of a two-story red brick building in ______________ in which he lives.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened between Abel and the daughter of Medina in January of 1937?
2. What happened on the night of the memory that Abel recalls about himself and about his brother, Vidal?
3. What happened when Abel finally did go back to work after the incident at the card game?
4. What did Francisco try to teach his grandsons when they were out at the old Campo Santo?
5. What occurred as a result of Abel's father being an outsider, even though Abel never knew him?
6. What does Tosamah include in his sermon about the Word and Truth as he preaches in Los Angeles?
7. Describe the life of Milly and how Abel recalls it unfolding as he is lying in the ditch, injured and unable to do anything but think.
8. How did Abel and Ben meet each other for the first time, as Ben recalls it during a trip down memory lane?
9. What things did Ben offer to Abel on the first day they were introduced to each other?
10. Who did Ben think never left Abel alone during the two months that he and Abel were friends and things were going well for Abel?
Essay Topic 1
The initial opening with the trap that did not catch what it was intended to catch seems to be symbolic for the rest of the manuscript.
Part 1: In what way is Abel trapped in this story? Could he have avoided his trap?
Part 2: What other characters might be seen as trapped? Why?
Part 3: What might the symbolic dead body floating down the stream refer to in the story? Who also has been let go? Why?
Essay Topic 2
While it's never implicitly stated, Martinez obviously has a problem with Native Americans.
Part 1: List at least three examples of how Martinez displays his problem with Native Americans.
Part 2: Why do you think Momaday doesn't seem to create a more intense character of Martinez? Wouldn't it be easier to show Martinez as a prejudiced jerk?
Part 3: What does Martinez bring to the novel? What does his presence create in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Abel makes the decision to go off to war, even though he'd never been in an automobile before or seen the world.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to go off to war?
Part 2: What were some of the positive outcomes of Abel's tour in the foreign war?
Part 3: How might Abel's life have been different had he not gone off to fight in the war?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)