|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Francisco and Abel went to the ________ where some old people had already gathered and begun to sing.
2. What did the female eagle in the mating flight carry in her claws as she flew, dropping it to the male?
3. The society in #27 was the _________ to go into the kiva at the summer and the autumn rain retreats.
4. Abel keeps himself in the __________ as he makes his way through the city, in order to keep himself hidden.
5. Who is the old Kiowa woman that Tosamah references in his story during the sermon he is giving?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the life of Milly and how Abel recalls it unfolding as he is lying in the ditch, injured and unable to do anything but think.
2. Why didn't Abel go to see his grandfather's house on the third day after his arrival?
3. Describe the group called the Bahkyush. Who are they and how might they be described to others?
4. Who are the people who are at the prayer meeting with Tosamah at the beginning of this chapter?
5. Was the plan that Abel and Ben had real or one that was made up just to make them feel close?
6. What is the legal result of Abel flipping off the others in the tank, even though they almost run over him?
7. What happens when Abel comes off the bus when Francisco comes to pick him up?
8. What happened on the night of the memory that Abel recalls about himself and about his brother, Vidal?
9. What did Abel do in response to Tosamah's insults during the card game they shared after a 12-hour shift?
10. Describe the creature that Tosamah's grandmother had described in a story about a man who set off to find food for his people.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, it seems the portrayal of women is a bit less than fair, especially in the minds of female readers.
Part 1: What are the main characteristics the female characters in the book share?
Part 2: Are women shown to be strong and powerful? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think women aren't portrayed in a more positive light? Or are they?
Essay Topic 2
The memories that flood back into Abel's mind give the reader a sense of who he was when he was younger, but also a sense of who is is in the present day.
Part 1: Why do you think Momaday decided to write about Abel through the memories he has?
Part 2: Why are memories a good way to get to know someone?
Part 3: Do you think the story would have been stronger if the life story of Abel had been told in a more conventional way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The structure of the storytelling seems to be something is very special to the Native American culture.
Part 1: Why is storytelling so important within the context of this story?
Part 2: Why are stories important to share with others, especially those we love?
Part 3: Why is it important for the priests in this book to relate the stories of history?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)