|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men in the prayer circle with Tosamah smoked and ate _____________.
2. What is caught in a small snare trap that the old man has set at the beginning of the story?
3. Who is the old Kiowa woman that Tosamah references in his story during the sermon he is giving?
4. Who is the old man who is driving his team of old mares along the river in a canyon at the beginning?
5. With which group did the Kiowa have an alliance for a very long time - more than a hundred years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did not dance when the group of men got together to get drunk the night before Abel's departure?
2. What happened during the incident with Abel and the tank, according to Bowker?
3. As Abel stares out into the silent valley, what is the memory he recalls having shared with Vidal?
4. What happened between Abel and the daughter of Medina in January of 1937?
5. Who managed to fix Abel's bad back when he was thrown off his horse, even though his grandfather could not?
6. What does Abel do when he sees the bird in the sack after it has been captured?
7. What happens when Abel comes off the bus when Francisco comes to pick him up?
8. What were some of the ways Tosamah insulted Abel, even though he did not do so directly?
9. What caused Francisco to be afraid during the birth of his child, which then caused his girlfriend to leave him?
10. What surrounded Francisco in his camp when he was riding out as a young man?
Essay Topic 1
The initial opening with the trap that did not catch what it was intended to catch seems to be symbolic for the rest of the manuscript.
Part 1: In what way is Abel trapped in this story? Could he have avoided his trap?
Part 2: What other characters might be seen as trapped? Why?
Part 3: What might the symbolic dead body floating down the stream refer to in the story? Who also has been let go? Why?
Essay Topic 2
It's apparent that the role of spirituality is one that is important, even as it stretches across Walatowa and Los Angeles.
Part 1: Why are the priests so important within the context of the story?
Part 2: How does Father Olguin affect the other characters in this book?
Part 3: How does Tosamah affect others within the context of this story?
Essay Topic 3
The rain is present at various points in the story, points where there are significant changes for the characters.
Part 1: Why is rain present at the time when Angela and Abel make love?
Part 2: Why do you think rain occurs when Abel leaves Los Angeles to go back to Walatowa?
Part 3: Why is rain present after Francisco dies?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)