|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men in the prayer circle with Tosamah smoked and ate _____________.
2. ___________ managed to fix Abel after he fell off his horse for the first time, by simply shaking him.
3. Abel dreams of the time he had gone down to the river with __________ to go shooting.
4. Abel keeps himself in the __________ as he makes his way through the city, in order to keep himself hidden.
5. What did the man who was sent off by the Kiowas trying to look for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the group called the Bahkyush. Who are they and how might they be described to others?
2. What is the legal result of Abel flipping off the others in the tank, even though they almost run over him?
3. Describe the history of the Kiowa, as Tosamah describes it from his own memory and his own experience.
4. What happens in the memory Abel has of his grandfather calling him as he heard the old men pray?
5. What does Abel see as he is looking out over the rim of the Valle Grande?
6. What was the plan that Abel and Ben shared before Abel left the following day?
7. What is Abel's final memory before leaving to head off to the war to fight?
8. What caused Francisco to be afraid during the birth of his child, which then caused his girlfriend to leave him?
9. What happened when Abel finally did go back to work after the incident at the card game?
10. What did Abel do after he left his grandfather's house after Francisco died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's obvious that Momaday cares deeply for the Native American culture and its preservation, which makes sense as he is also of Native American descent.
Part 1: How do you think Momaday portrays Native Americans? In a positive way or in a negative way?
Part 2: How do you think Momaday's own cultural background may have influenced his storytelling?
Part 3: Had the author not been Native American, how might the story have changed?
Essay Topic 2
The initial opening with the trap that did not catch what it was intended to catch seems to be symbolic for the rest of the manuscript.
Part 1: In what way is Abel trapped in this story? Could he have avoided his trap?
Part 2: What other characters might be seen as trapped? Why?
Part 3: What might the symbolic dead body floating down the stream refer to in the story? Who also has been let go? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The rain is present at various points in the story, points where there are significant changes for the characters.
Part 1: Why is rain present at the time when Angela and Abel make love?
Part 2: Why do you think rain occurs when Abel leaves Los Angeles to go back to Walatowa?
Part 3: Why is rain present after Francisco dies?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)