|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At ___________, Francisco and Abel waited for dawn at the house of Juliano Medina.
2. Who stood up, shouted, and gave the finger to the tank and soldiers who turned and shot at him?
3. Who cooked for the men after they had completed their work in the box canyon?
4. The men in the prayer circle with Tosamah smoked and ate _____________.
5. ___________ managed to fix Abel after he fell off his horse for the first time, by simply shaking him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the legal result of Abel flipping off the others in the tank, even though they almost run over him?
2. What did Abel do in response to Tosamah's insults during the card game they shared after a 12-hour shift?
3. Describe the history of the Kiowa, as Tosamah describes it from his own memory and his own experience.
4. Who did not dance when the group of men got together to get drunk the night before Abel's departure?
5. What is close to the body of Abel, as he lies in a ditch - cold and in pain, with his hands and fingers broken?
6. What happened when Abel finally did go back to work after the incident at the card game?
7. Describe the group called the Bahkyush. Who are they and how might they be described to others?
8. What caused Francisco to be afraid during the birth of his child, which then caused his girlfriend to leave him?
9. What occurred as a result of Abel's father being an outsider, even though Abel never knew him?
10. What did Abel do after he left his grandfather's house after Francisco died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abel makes the decision to go off to war, even though he'd never been in an automobile before or seen the world.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to go off to war?
Part 2: What were some of the positive outcomes of Abel's tour in the foreign war?
Part 3: How might Abel's life have been different had he not gone off to fight in the war?
Essay Topic 2
Angela seems to be restless in her life, trying to seduce Abel and make herself feel pretty again.
Part 1: Why do you think Angela is so restless about her life?
Part 2: Do you think Angela's marriage is a happy one? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Abel decided to sleep with Angela, even though he doesn't think she's pretty?
Essay Topic 3
The initial opening with the trap that did not catch what it was intended to catch seems to be symbolic for the rest of the manuscript.
Part 1: In what way is Abel trapped in this story? Could he have avoided his trap?
Part 2: What other characters might be seen as trapped? Why?
Part 3: What might the symbolic dead body floating down the stream refer to in the story? Who also has been let go? Why?
This section contains 1,916 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)