|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men in the prayer circle with Tosamah smoked and ate _____________.
2. What is caught in a small snare trap that the old man has set at the beginning of the story?
3. Who is the old Kiowa woman that Tosamah references in his story during the sermon he is giving?
4. Who is the old man who is driving his team of old mares along the river in a canyon at the beginning?
5. With which group did the Kiowa have an alliance for a very long time - more than a hundred years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did not dance when the group of men got together to get drunk the night before Abel's departure?
2. What happened during the incident with Abel and the tank, according to Bowker?
3. As Abel stares out into the silent valley, what is the memory he recalls having shared with Vidal?
4. What happened between Abel and the daughter of Medina in January of 1937?
5. Who managed to fix Abel's bad back when he was thrown off his horse, even though his grandfather could not?
6. What does Abel do when he sees the bird in the sack after it has been captured?
7. What happens when Abel comes off the bus when Francisco comes to pick him up?
8. What were some of the ways Tosamah insulted Abel, even though he did not do so directly?
9. What caused Francisco to be afraid during the birth of his child, which then caused his girlfriend to leave him?
10. What surrounded Francisco in his camp when he was riding out as a young man?
Essay Topic 1
The scene in which Abel kills the albino seems to be a striking and yet understandable scene.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to kill the albino?
Part 2: How do you think Abel felt about killing the albino?
Part 3: What is the potential symbolism of this scene? What might it represent in terms of race relations, for example?
Essay Topic 2
While it's never implicitly stated, Martinez obviously has a problem with Native Americans.
Part 1: List at least three examples of how Martinez displays his problem with Native Americans.
Part 2: Why do you think Momaday doesn't seem to create a more intense character of Martinez? Wouldn't it be easier to show Martinez as a prejudiced jerk?
Part 3: What does Martinez bring to the novel? What does his presence create in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Abel makes the decision to go off to war, even though he'd never been in an automobile before or seen the world.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to go off to war?
Part 2: What were some of the positive outcomes of Abel's tour in the foreign war?
Part 3: How might Abel's life have been different had he not gone off to fight in the war?
This section contains 1,904 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)