|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What at the last minute passed by Abel as he was lying on the side of a wooded hill during the war?
2. The ___________ Watchers Society was the principal ceremonial organization of the Bahkyush.
3. As pain wracks the body of Abel, he remembers the first time he had fallen from his horse and ___________ could not fix him.
4. Who did Abel kill which led to his being put into prison for six years?
5. Tosamah gives a sermon in the basement of a two-story red brick building in ______________ in which he lives.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tosamah include in his sermon about the Word and Truth as he preaches in Los Angeles?
2. Describe the creature that Tosamah's grandmother had described in a story about a man who set off to find food for his people.
3. Describe the relationship Francisco had with a young girl when he was a younger man.
4. What were some of the ways Tosamah insulted Abel, even though he did not do so directly?
5. Describe the group called the Bahkyush. Who are they and how might they be described to others?
6. What things did Ben offer to Abel on the first day they were introduced to each other?
7. Who did Ben think never left Abel alone during the two months that he and Abel were friends and things were going well for Abel?
8. What happened on the night of the memory that Abel recalls about himself and about his brother, Vidal?
9. What does Ben do when he goes to the Silver Dollar after dropping off Abel at the bus station?
10. What happened when Abel finally did go back to work after the incident at the card game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's apparent that the role of spirituality is one that is important, even as it stretches across Walatowa and Los Angeles.
Part 1: Why are the priests so important within the context of the story?
Part 2: How does Father Olguin affect the other characters in this book?
Part 3: How does Tosamah affect others within the context of this story?
Essay Topic 2
Abel makes the decision to go off to war, even though he'd never been in an automobile before or seen the world.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to go off to war?
Part 2: What were some of the positive outcomes of Abel's tour in the foreign war?
Part 3: How might Abel's life have been different had he not gone off to fight in the war?
Essay Topic 3
It's obvious that Momaday cares deeply for the Native American culture and its preservation, which makes sense as he is also of Native American descent.
Part 1: How do you think Momaday portrays Native Americans? In a positive way or in a negative way?
Part 2: How do you think Momaday's own cultural background may have influenced his storytelling?
Part 3: Had the author not been Native American, how might the story have changed?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)