|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month did Tosamah finally visit his grandmother's grave, according to his story?
2. What did the female eagle in the mating flight carry in her claws as she flew, dropping it to the male?
3. When he left, Abel remembered too late to look back in the direction of ___________.
4. ___________ managed to fix Abel after he fell off his horse for the first time, by simply shaking him.
5. What is the profession of the husband of Mrs. Martin St. John as is revealed when she speaks to Father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the legal result of Abel flipping off the others in the tank, even though they almost run over him?
2. Describe the relationship Francisco had with a young girl when he was a younger man.
3. How did Abel and Ben meet each other for the first time, as Ben recalls it during a trip down memory lane?
4. Who are the people who are at the prayer meeting with Tosamah at the beginning of this chapter?
5. What happened during the summer and the autumn rain retreats, according to the stories in the book?
6. After Abel had his experience with the box canyon, what did he do after that?
7. Describe the history of the Kiowa, as Tosamah describes it from his own memory and his own experience.
8. What did Abel do in response to Tosamah's insults during the card game they shared after a 12-hour shift?
9. What did Father Olguin think caused Abel to kill the albino so many years ago, testifying in court to this being the reason for Abel's actions?
10. What does Abel do when he sees the bird in the sack after it has been captured?
Essay Topic 1
During retreats, people would give offerings and pray at various holy places.
Part 1: Why do you think people felt the need to give offerings at the holy places?
Part 2: What might have been some of the offerings you would have left at the holy places?
Part 3: How do you think the offerings to the holy places help the offering person feel about themselves or their lives?
Essay Topic 2
The scene in which Abel kills the albino seems to be a striking and yet understandable scene.
Part 1: Why do you think Abel decided to kill the albino?
Part 2: How do you think Abel felt about killing the albino?
Part 3: What is the potential symbolism of this scene? What might it represent in terms of race relations, for example?
Essay Topic 3
The role of nature is obvious in this story, with many of the important events taking place outside.
Part 1: Why do you think nature is important to the characters in the story?
Part 2: How might the story have changed had there been less nature and nature-based experiences for the characters?
Part 3: Do you believe nature to be an important part of your life?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)