|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Abel is 17, Francisco gets him to go hunting and the first animal he kills is a ______________.
2. Who was once considered the best long race runner in the region?
3. In the lower meadows of the basin of the Valle Grande, the group of men set about capturing __________.
4. The man who crossed the canyon after four days encountered a man with the feet of a ___________.
5. What is caught in a small snare trap that the old man has set at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Abel do after he left his grandfather's house after Francisco died?
2. What did Milly's father do for her in order to give her the best life she could hope to have?
3. What did Francisco tell Abel about the area across the Arroyo Bajo to the edge of the red rock that looked out over the plain?
4. Who is the Priest of the Sun, who appears at the beginning of this second chapter of the book?
5. Who had Francisco beaten in a race for good hunting and harvests, something which he looks upon fondly?
6. What happens in the memory Abel has of his grandfather calling him as he heard the old men pray?
7. Who are the people who are at the prayer meeting with Tosamah at the beginning of this chapter?
8. What surrounded Francisco in his camp when he was riding out as a young man?
9. Was the plan that Abel and Ben had real or one that was made up just to make them feel close?
10. What is the first animal that crosses Abel's path when the grandfather gets him up early to go hunting at daybreak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angela seems to be restless in her life, trying to seduce Abel and make herself feel pretty again.
Part 1: Why do you think Angela is so restless about her life?
Part 2: Do you think Angela's marriage is a happy one? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Abel decided to sleep with Angela, even though he doesn't think she's pretty?
Essay Topic 2
During retreats, people would give offerings and pray at various holy places.
Part 1: Why do you think people felt the need to give offerings at the holy places?
Part 2: What might have been some of the offerings you would have left at the holy places?
Part 3: How do you think the offerings to the holy places help the offering person feel about themselves or their lives?
Essay Topic 3
It's apparent that the role of spirituality is one that is important, even as it stretches across Walatowa and Los Angeles.
Part 1: Why are the priests so important within the context of the story?
Part 2: How does Father Olguin affect the other characters in this book?
Part 3: How does Tosamah affect others within the context of this story?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)