|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tosamah's grandmother's grave lays at the ________ of the Rainy Mountain.
2. What did the female eagle in the mating flight carry in her claws as she flew, dropping it to the male?
3. Vidal and Abel came back to the box canyon to watch their grandfather dig with a __________.
4. What appears at the trading post when Francisco arrives around 1:00 PM?
5. The society in #27 was the _________ to go into the kiva at the summer and the autumn rain retreats.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Francisco come upon as a young man, riding out on a buckskin colt and leading a hunting horse?
2. What is the legal result of Abel flipping off the others in the tank, even though they almost run over him?
3. What did Francisco do after returning to his horses after killing the bear in a sort of rite of passage?
4. What did Francisco try to teach his grandsons when they were out at the old Campo Santo?
5. Describe the group called the Bahkyush. Who are they and how might they be described to others?
6. Describe the history of the Kiowa, as Tosamah describes it from his own memory and his own experience.
7. Describe the appearance of Abel when Ben takes him to the bus station at the beginning of the chapter.
8. What does Ben do when he goes to the Silver Dollar after dropping off Abel at the bus station?
9. Describe the relationship Francisco had with a young girl when he was a younger man.
10. What did Abel do after he left his grandfather's house after Francisco died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, it seems the portrayal of women is a bit less than fair, especially in the minds of female readers.
Part 1: What are the main characteristics the female characters in the book share?
Part 2: Are women shown to be strong and powerful? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think women aren't portrayed in a more positive light? Or are they?
Essay Topic 2
Angela seems to be restless in her life, trying to seduce Abel and make herself feel pretty again.
Part 1: Why do you think Angela is so restless about her life?
Part 2: Do you think Angela's marriage is a happy one? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Abel decided to sleep with Angela, even though he doesn't think she's pretty?
Essay Topic 3
The role of nature is obvious in this story, with many of the important events taking place outside.
Part 1: Why do you think nature is important to the characters in the story?
Part 2: How might the story have changed had there been less nature and nature-based experiences for the characters?
Part 3: Do you believe nature to be an important part of your life?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)