|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was armed with a shotgun when they decided to go shoot gray geese?
(d) No one
2. There was plenty of excitement at the gathering in January of 1937 as the men shouted and _______________.
(a) Fired rifles
(d) Played music
3. Abel came upon a(n) ___________ house, a small tower of stone built around a pit, hollow and open at the top.
(a) Coyote den
(b) Eagle hunt
(d) Vision quest
4. What is caught in a small snare trap that the old man has set at the beginning of the story?
5. What was Abel listening to men do when his grandfather called him to see his dead brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Reverend John Big Bluff Tosamah is also known as the priest of the __________.
2. Napoleon Kills-in-the-_____________ is another of the men at the prayer meeting.
3. An old woman named Nicolas teah-whau was a bahkyuah woman and also thought to be a ___________.
4. The sermon at the beginning of the chapter is about the __________ and the Truth.
5. Abel's final memory before leaving for war was his _____________ crying as he did not understand why Abel wanted to go.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Francisco tell Abel about the area across the Arroyo Bajo to the edge of the red rock that looked out over the plain?
2. Who went up to the hill to get drunk the night before Abel left for the bus station?
3. Who managed to fix Abel's bad back when he was thrown off his horse, even though his grandfather could not?
4. Who is the Priest of the Sun, who appears at the beginning of this second chapter of the book?
5. What did Francisco do to the bear after he finally tracked him down in the forest and then killed him?
6. What was the plan that Abel and Ben shared before Abel left the following day?
7. What were some of the ways Tosamah insulted Abel, even though he did not do so directly?
8. What is in the trap that Francisco set a long time ago at the opening of the book?
9. What is close to the body of Abel, as he lies in a ditch - cold and in pain, with his hands and fingers broken?
10. What is the legal result of Abel flipping off the others in the tank, even though they almost run over him?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)