|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The men in the prayer circle with Tosamah smoked and ate _____________.
(b) Jimson Weed
(c) Peyote buttons
2. What is caught in a small snare trap that the old man has set at the beginning of the story?
3. Who is the old Kiowa woman that Tosamah references in his story during the sermon he is giving?
(c) His grandmother
(d) A fictional character
4. Who is the old man who is driving his team of old mares along the river in a canyon at the beginning?
5. With which group did the Kiowa have an alliance for a very long time - more than a hundred years?
Short Answer Questions
1. During what season did Tosamah's grandmother die, according to his story?
2. Tosamah gives a sermon in the basement of a two-story red brick building in ______________ in which he lives.
3. What was the name of the great volcanic crater that lay high up on the western slope of the range?
4. Tosamah's grandmother was ___________ though she had a great appreciation for language and for stories.
5. What does Mrs. Martin St. John ask Father Olguin to help her find when she stays in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did not dance when the group of men got together to get drunk the night before Abel's departure?
2. What happened during the incident with Abel and the tank, according to Bowker?
3. As Abel stares out into the silent valley, what is the memory he recalls having shared with Vidal?
4. What happened between Abel and the daughter of Medina in January of 1937?
5. Who managed to fix Abel's bad back when he was thrown off his horse, even though his grandfather could not?
6. What does Abel do when he sees the bird in the sack after it has been captured?
7. What happens when Abel comes off the bus when Francisco comes to pick him up?
8. What were some of the ways Tosamah insulted Abel, even though he did not do so directly?
9. What caused Francisco to be afraid during the birth of his child, which then caused his girlfriend to leave him?
10. What surrounded Francisco in his camp when he was riding out as a young man?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)