|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sheriff ask Ruth when she comes out of the orchard?
2. What goes over them while they sleep?
3. What does Sylvie do when the girls come home in the morning after staying out all night?
4. How does Sylvie try to gain acceptance of her custody?
5. How does Ruth believe her mother would have treated the sisters if she had lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ruth respond to Lucille when she begs Ruth to leave Sylvie?
2. Why does Sylvie wake Ruth up before dawn after Lucille has left?
3. Where do Sylvie and Ruth spend the night when they leave the island?
4. What does Lucille demand of Sylvie about dinner?
5. Describe what happens the day the girls spend the night away from home.
6. How does Ruth feel about hanging out with the girls from school?
7. When Lucille turns the lights on in the kitchen one night what does she see?
8. What does Sylvie do when Lucille asks about her husband?
9. What do the neighboring women do about the condition of Ruth's house?
10. What does Lucille do about the sewing after fighting with Ruth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the physical setting of the novel, Fingerbone, with the events that have been shown in the sister's lives in chapter one. How does one reflect the other? What foreshadowing to the rest of the narrator's life, might be gleaned from the descriptions of Fingerbone and the types of events common in that town?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth and Lucille's mother commits suicide in the first chapter. How do you think this event affected Ruth and Lucille's emotional and mental health? What do you think could cause a mother to commit suicide with two small children waiting for her at home?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Ruth and Lucille feel about themselves, taking into account their father deserting them, their mother committing suicide and their aunts, Lily and Nona, not wanting to stay with them? Illustrate your answer from the book.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)