|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks the neighboring women about Ruth's house?
2. The morning after the girls stay out all night, what does Lucille want to do?
3. What does Sylvie say about the objections of the neighbors?
4. What does Ruth want to do with the pressed flowers they find?
5. What does Lucille demand after she sees Sylvie's picture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sylvie do when Lucille asks about her husband?
2. What happens when Ruth and Lucille try to sew?
3. In Chapter 10, what does Sylvie do to continue to change enough to keep Ruth?
4. What does Lucille do when she can no longer stand living with Sylvie?
5. What do the neighboring women do about the condition of Ruth's house?
6. When the school sends letters to Sylvie about the girls' truancy, what does Sylvie do?
7. What happens when the sheriff comes to the house to see about the fire Sylvie lit to burn trash?
8. What happens when Sylvie and Ruth take a boat at the lake?
9. What does Ruth think would have happened in her life if her mother had not killed herself?
10. Why does Sylvie wake Ruth up before dawn after Lucille has left?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Ruth and Lucille feel about themselves, taking into account their father deserting them, their mother committing suicide and their aunts, Lily and Nona, not wanting to stay with them? Illustrate your answer from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Ruth and Lucille liked Sylvie when they met her? Use examples from the book and give your own opinion in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Sylvie tells the girls that she and her husband are out of touch. Explain with examples from the book why you would or would not want to have someone like Sylvie for a spouse.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)