|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucille see when she turns the lights on in the kitchen one night?
2. What does Sylvie do while the girls eat in the kitchen?
3. How does Ruth feel about Sylvie trying to change?
4. What does Ruth believe her mother's death has turned Ruth's memories of her into?
5. Who begins to voice objections about Ruth's care?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the neighboring women do about the condition of Ruth's house?
2. What is Sylvie's reaction to the town's concerns about her and Ruth?
3. When the school sends letters to Sylvie about the girls' truancy, what does Sylvie do?
4. What does Sylvie do when Lucille asks about her husband?
5. What does Lucille do about the sewing after fighting with Ruth?
6. What do they see and how do the neighboring women feel about Ruth and Sylvie's house?
7. What do the girls do when the weather turns warm?
8. What does Lucille do when she can no longer stand living with Sylvie?
9. Why does Sylvie wake Ruth up before dawn after Lucille has left?
10. What do Sylvie and Ruth do the morning they return from the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did you feel about the ending of this book? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Sylvie became frantic that Ruth might be taken from her? Support your opinion with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Sylvie goes into a frantic mode to try and convince the town that she is capable of caring for Ruth. Do you think people can change that fast? Do you think people, once they are adults, can change at all? Support your position with illustrations from the book and your own life.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)