|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylvie believe Ruth thinks of her when she talks about the people on the island?
2. What does Ruth do when Lucille talks with her?
3. What happens after the girls fight over the flowers?
4. What does Sylvie do when Lucille asks her if she knows where the sisters spent the night?
5. What does Ruth do while Lucille is talking to girls at the drugstore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lucille yells at Sylvie about sleeping on the bench?
2. What is Sylvie's reaction to the town's concerns about her and Ruth?
3. How does Ruth feel about hanging out with the girls from school?
4. In Chapter 10, what does Sylvie do to continue to change enough to keep Ruth?
5. What do Sylvie and Ruth do the morning they return from the island?
6. What does Sylvie do when she and Ruth stop at an abandoned farmhouse on the island?
7. What does Ruth think would have happened in her life if her mother had not killed herself?
8. What does Lucille demand of Sylvie about dinner?
9. When the school sends letters to Sylvie about the girls' truancy, what does Sylvie do?
10. What happens when the sheriff comes to the house to see about the fire Sylvie lit to burn trash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Sylvie suggested the owner of a boat she steals is a lunatic? Do you think this reflects Sylvie's opinion of herself? Why?
Essay Topic 2
As time goes by and Sylvie stays with the girls, the two sisters have different reactions and feelings towards Sylvie's eccentricities. Describe their differences and write about how you believe you would feel in the same circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
Do think Sylvie is mentally ill? Use examples from the book to support your position.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)