|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What goes over them while they sleep?
2. What does Sylvie finally realize about the neighbors' objections?
3. What does Sylvie say about the owner of the boat?
4. Of what does the hands-off care from Sylvie remind Ruth?
5. Why can't Ruth hear Lucille when her sister talks to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the girls do when the weather turns warm?
2. What does Lucille do about the sewing after fighting with Ruth?
3. When the school sends letters to Sylvie about the girls' truancy, what does Sylvie do?
4. What does Lucille demand of Sylvie about dinner?
5. What does Lucille do when she can no longer stand living with Sylvie?
6. When Lucille turns the lights on in the kitchen one night what does she see?
7. What does Lucille decide she and Ruth need to do about their life?
8. In Chapter 10, what does Sylvie do to continue to change enough to keep Ruth?
9. Describe what happens the day the girls spend the night away from home.
10. What do Sylvie and Ruth do the morning they return from the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do think Sylvie is mentally ill? Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Sylvie tells the girls that she and her husband are out of touch. Explain with examples from the book why you would or would not want to have someone like Sylvie for a spouse.
Essay Topic 3
Sylvie comes home after Lucille yelled at her with huckleberries and made pancakes for the girls. Why do you think she did this?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)