|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does the hands-off care from Sylvie remind Ruth?
2. What does Lucille demand after she sees Sylvie's picture?
3. What shocks the neighboring women about Ruth's house?
4. What does Lucille bring home from the store?
5. What does Ruth feel is most likely to occur due to all the fuss about Sylvie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ruth and Lucille try to sew?
2. What do they see and how do the neighboring women feel about Ruth and Sylvie's house?
3. What happens when Sylvie and Ruth take a boat at the lake?
4. What do Sylvie and Ruth do the morning they return from the island?
5. Describe what happens the day the girls spend the night away from home.
6. Why does the sheriff visit Ruth and Sylvie and what do some neighboring women do about his visit?
7. How does Ruth respond to Lucille when she begs Ruth to leave Sylvie?
8. What is Sylvie's reaction to the town's concerns about her and Ruth?
9. What does Ruth think would have happened in her life if her mother had not killed herself?
10. What does Lucille do when she can no longer stand living with Sylvie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do think Sylvie is mentally ill? Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
How do you think Ruth and Lucille feel about themselves, taking into account their father deserting them, their mother committing suicide and their aunts, Lily and Nona, not wanting to stay with them? Illustrate your answer from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Ruth and Lucille liked Sylvie when they met her? Use examples from the book and give your own opinion in your answer.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)