|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the grandfather die?
2. What does Sylvie think about the aunts taking care of the girls?
3. What do Ruth and Lucille hear often in the night?
4. Where do Lily and Nona live?
5. Where did the sisters' father grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lily and Nona feel about children?
2. How do Lily and Nona feel toward each other?
3. What does the town decide happens to Ruth and Sylvie?
4. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
5. What does Sylvie look like when she arrives in Fingerbone?
6. Why do Ruth and Lucille believe their aunt is an unstable person?
7. What happens when Sylvie and Ruth take a boat at the lake?
8. Why does the sheriff visit Ruth and Sylvie and what do some neighboring women do about his visit?
9. What and why do Ruth and Sylvie do before they leave Fingerbone?
10. What do the girls do when the weather turns warm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As time goes by and Sylvie stays with the girls, the two sisters have different reactions and feelings towards Sylvie's eccentricities. Describe their differences and write about how you believe you would feel in the same circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
Do think Sylvie is mentally ill? Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Lily and Nona were able to justify leaving the girls with Sylvie? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)