|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Ruth and Lucille born?
2. Why does the town of Fingerbone flood?
3. Why does Ruth hit Sylvie?
4. What does their grandfather do when he arrives at the town?
5. How does Ruth get Sylvie to come upstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the girls like about Sylvie as far as their mother is concerned?
2. What do the girls do to keep Sylvie from going downstairs during the flood?
3. When and how do Ruth and Lucille end up in Fingerbone?
4. What do the girls know about Sylvie after one day in the house?
5. What does Sylvie do in response to Lily and Nona's ads?
6. What do Lily and Nona decide to do about being in Fingerbone?
7. What are the attitudes of Ruth and Lucille towards Sylvie's eccentricities?
8. What does Sylvie look like when she arrives in Fingerbone?
9. How do Lily and Nona feel about being in Fingerbone and caring for Ruth and Lucille?
10. How do Lily and Nona feel about children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sylvie tells the girls that she and her husband are out of touch. Explain with examples from the book why you would or would not want to have someone like Sylvie for a spouse.
Essay Topic 2
Lucille seems to want a "normal" household. Do you think this is true of most children? Explain your answer with illustrations from your life.
Essay Topic 3
How did you feel about the ending of this book? Why?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)