Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do people in Fingerbone travel the lower lying areas of town during the flood?
2. What did Ruth and Lucille's father do when the girls were young?
3. What does Sylvie feel about the girls' questions about their mother?
4. Who is the narrator in the book, "Housekeeping?"
5. What happens to the girls when they return to school after skipping for a week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth think would have happened in her life if her mother had not killed herself?
2. What does Sylvie look like when she arrives in Fingerbone?
3. What do the girls see at the lake while skipping school?
4. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
5. Where do the girls go after the flood water recedes and what happens there?
6. Describe what happens the day the girls spend the night away from home.
7. Where does the narrator's grandfather end up when he leaves home and what happens to him there?
8. What do Sylvie and Ruth do the morning they return from the island?
9. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
10. What does Sylvie do in response to Lily and Nona's ads?
How do you think Lily and Nona were able to justify leaving the girls with Sylvie? Use examples from the book.
Sylvie tells the girls that she and her husband are out of touch. Explain with examples from the book why you would or would not want to have someone like Sylvie for a spouse.
Why do you think Ruth and Lucille liked Sylvie when they met her? Use examples from the book and give your own opinion in your answer.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)