|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Ruth, Lucille and Sylvie marooned during the flood?
2. What did Ruth and Lucille's father do when the girls were young?
3. Who is the person in question #77 talking with at the lake?
4. What does Sylvie say when asked if she wants children?
5. How do the girls and Sylvie eat dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lily and Nona feel about being in Fingerbone and caring for Ruth and Lucille?
2. What does Sylvie look like when she arrives in Fingerbone?
3. How does Sylvie feel about Ruth and Lucille going to school?
4. What does the grandmother plan to do with the girls when she dies?
5. What happens to the town the second week that Sylvie is in Fingerbone?
6. What are the attitudes of Ruth and Lucille towards Sylvie's eccentricities?
7. What do the girls like about Sylvie as far as their mother is concerned?
8. What do the girls do to keep Sylvie from going downstairs during the flood?
9. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
10. How do you think the girls might be feeling when they figure out their Aunts Lily and Nona don't want them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do think Sylvie is mentally ill? Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Ruth and Lucille liked Sylvie when they met her? Use examples from the book and give your own opinion in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Ruth and Lucille's mother commits suicide in the first chapter. How do you think this event affected Ruth and Lucille's emotional and mental health? What do you think could cause a mother to commit suicide with two small children waiting for her at home?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)