|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alarms Ruth and Lucille about the state government?
2. Who are Lily and Nona?
3. Where are the food and necessities at the house during the flood?
4. Where does Sylvie go when she leaves the house the day after she meets Ruth?
5. How long do the girls stay with their grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Lily and Nona decide to do about being in Fingerbone?
2. What does the narrator say about her grandfather's youth in the first chapter?
3. What story does Sylvie tell during their stay upstairs to escape the flood waters? How do Ruth and Lucille react?
4. How do Lily and Nona feel toward each other?
5. How do Lily and Nona feel about being in Fingerbone and caring for Ruth and Lucille?
6. What happens when Sylvie leaves the house when she first gets to Fingerbone?
7. What are the attitudes of Ruth and Lucille towards Sylvie's eccentricities?
8. What is Ruth and Lucille's response to Lucille's encounter with her teacher?
9. Where do the girls go after the flood water recedes and what happens there?
10. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and Lucille's mother commits suicide in the first chapter. How do you think this event affected Ruth and Lucille's emotional and mental health? What do you think could cause a mother to commit suicide with two small children waiting for her at home?
Essay Topic 2
By chapter five, we are beginning to see a picture of Sylvie as a person who does not seem to pay much attention to everyday life. What about Sylvie seems strange to you and does her strangeness make her more or less attractive to you? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Ruth and Lucille feel about themselves, taking into account their father deserting them, their mother committing suicide and their aunts, Lily and Nona, not wanting to stay with them? Illustrate your answer from the book.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)