|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lucille feel about all the freedom Sylvie gives them?
2. Who are Lily and Nona?
3. What do the aunts think about the rumors concerning Sylvie's instability?
4. Where does Sylvie go when she leaves the house the day after she meets Ruth?
5. Where does the town where the sisters stay with their grandmother sit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth do when Sylvie will not come upstairs when the house is flooded?
2. How do you think the girls might be feeling when they figure out their Aunts Lily and Nona don't want them?
3. What does the grandmother plan to do with the girls when she dies?
4. What do Lily and Nona decide to do about being in Fingerbone?
5. How does the grandfather's house fare in the flood?
6. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
7. How do Lily and Nona feel about children?
8. What do Ruth's mother and two aunts do following their father's death?
9. What happens to the town the second week that Sylvie is in Fingerbone?
10. What do the girls like about Sylvie as far as their mother is concerned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and Lucille's mother commits suicide in the first chapter. How do you think this event affected Ruth and Lucille's emotional and mental health? What do you think could cause a mother to commit suicide with two small children waiting for her at home?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think Lily and Nona were able to justify leaving the girls with Sylvie? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Ruth and Lucille's life would look like if their mother had not committed suicide?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)