|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might be wrong with Sylvie?
2. Why does Lucille complain during the flood?
3. How does Ruth get Sylvie to come upstairs?
4. How do Lily and Nona feel about children?
5. Who do the girls see at the lake after cutting school for a few days?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lily and Nona feel about children?
2. Where does the narrator's grandfather end up when he leaves home and what happens to him there?
3. What are the attitudes of Ruth and Lucille towards Sylvie's eccentricities?
4. What does the narrator say about her grandfather's youth in the first chapter?
5. Where do the girls go after the flood water recedes and what happens there?
6. How does the grandfather's house fare in the flood?
7. How do Lily and Nona feel toward each other?
8. Why do Ruth and Lucille believe their aunt is an unstable person?
9. What do Ruth's mother and two aunts do following their father's death?
10. How do you think the girls might be feeling when they figure out their Aunts Lily and Nona don't want them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did you feel about the ending of this book? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Lucille seems to want a "normal" household. Do you think this is true of most children? Explain your answer with illustrations from your life.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Sylvie suggested the owner of a boat she steals is a lunatic? Do you think this reflects Sylvie's opinion of herself? Why?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)