|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do the girls stay with their grandmother?
2. Why does Lucille complain during the flood?
3. How does Sylvie's temperament seem to Ruth and Lucille?
4. What does Sylvie do about the girls' questions about their mother?
5. Why do Ruth and Lucille skip school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the town the second week that Sylvie is in Fingerbone?
2. What do Lily and Nona decide to do about being in Fingerbone?
3. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
4. What does Ruth do when Sylvie will not come upstairs when the house is flooded?
5. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
6. What does Sylvie look like when she arrives in Fingerbone?
7. What do the girls see at the lake while skipping school?
8. What story does Sylvie tell during their stay upstairs to escape the flood waters? How do Ruth and Lucille react?
9. What does the narrator say about her grandfather's youth in the first chapter?
10. What is Ruth and Lucille's response to Lucille's encounter with her teacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucille seems to want a "normal" household. Do you think this is true of most children? Explain your answer with illustrations from your life.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the physical setting of the novel, Fingerbone, with the events that have been shown in the sister's lives in chapter one. How does one reflect the other? What foreshadowing to the rest of the narrator's life, might be gleaned from the descriptions of Fingerbone and the types of events common in that town?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Sylvie suggested the owner of a boat she steals is a lunatic? Do you think this reflects Sylvie's opinion of herself? Why?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)