|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Lily and Nona try to contact Sylvie?
2. How do Lily and Nona feel about children?
3. What does their grandfather want most to do when he is young?
4. Why do Ruth and Lucille skip school?
5. Why does the town of Fingerbone flood?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and how do Ruth and Lucille end up in Fingerbone?
2. What do the girls know about Sylvie after one day in the house?
3. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
4. What is Ruth and Lucille's response to Lucille's encounter with her teacher?
5. Why do Ruth and Lucille believe their aunt is an unstable person?
6. What are the attitudes of Ruth and Lucille towards Sylvie's eccentricities?
7. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
8. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
9. What do Ruth's mother and two aunts do following their father's death?
10. How does the grandfather's house fare in the flood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Ruth and Lucille feel about themselves, taking into account their father deserting them, their mother committing suicide and their aunts, Lily and Nona, not wanting to stay with them? Illustrate your answer from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think would have happened to Ruth and Lucille if they had been born in 1995 instead in the late 1940's or early 1950's? How would that differ from what happened to them in the book?
Essay Topic 3
As time goes by and Sylvie stays with the girls, the two sisters have different reactions and feelings towards Sylvie's eccentricities. Describe their differences and write about how you believe you would feel in the same circumstances.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)