|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lucille complain during the flood?
2. How do Lily and Nona feel about moving from their home?
3. What alarms Ruth and Lucille about the state government?
4. What kind of pictures does the grandfather paint?
5. How does Sylvie's temperament seem to Ruth and Lucille?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and how do Ruth and Lucille end up in Fingerbone?
2. What do Ruth's mother and two aunts do following their father's death?
3. How do you think the girls might be feeling when they figure out their Aunts Lily and Nona don't want them?
4. What happens to the town the second week that Sylvie is in Fingerbone?
5. Where do the girls go after the flood water recedes and what happens there?
6. Why do Ruth and Lucille believe their aunt is an unstable person?
7. How does Sylvie feel about Ruth and Lucille going to school?
8. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
9. How does the grandfather's house fare in the flood?
10. What do the girls know about Sylvie after one day in the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think would have happened to Ruth and Lucille if they had been born in 1995 instead in the late 1940's or early 1950's? How would that differ from what happened to them in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did you feel about the ending of this book? Why?
Essay Topic 3
As time goes by and Sylvie stays with the girls, the two sisters have different reactions and feelings towards Sylvie's eccentricities. Describe their differences and write about how you believe you would feel in the same circumstances.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)