|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylvie feel about the girls' questions about their mother?
2. What kind of food does Sylvie generally make for dinner?
3. Why do Ruth and Lucille skip school?
4. What does the person from question #77 do after talking?
5. Who is the person in question #77 talking with at the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the girls go after the flood water recedes and what happens there?
2. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
3. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
4. How does the grandfather's house fare in the flood?
5. What do the girls see at the lake while skipping school?
6. What are the attitudes of Ruth and Lucille towards Sylvie's eccentricities?
7. Why do Ruth and Lucille believe their aunt is an unstable person?
8. What do the girls know about Sylvie after one day in the house?
9. What does the narrator say about her grandfather's youth in the first chapter?
10. What does Ruth do when Sylvie will not come upstairs when the house is flooded?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Ruth and Lucille liked Sylvie when they met her? Use examples from the book and give your own opinion in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Lucille finally gives up on Sylvie and gets taken in by a teacher at school. How did this affect Ruth? How do you think you would have reacted to the same situation?
Essay Topic 3
By chapter five, we are beginning to see a picture of Sylvie as a person who does not seem to pay much attention to everyday life. What about Sylvie seems strange to you and does her strangeness make her more or less attractive to you? Why?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)