|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls want from Sylvie?
2. How does Lucille stay home from school?
3. Where are the food and necessities at the house during the flood?
4. What does Sylvie think about the aunts taking care of the girls?
5. What story does Sylvie tell the girls while waiting out the flood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sylvie leaves the house when she first gets to Fingerbone?
2. What does the grandmother plan to do with the girls when she dies?
3. How do Lily and Nona feel about being in Fingerbone and caring for Ruth and Lucille?
4. What does Sylvie look like when she arrives in Fingerbone?
5. How do you think the girls might be feeling when they figure out their Aunts Lily and Nona don't want them?
6. What do the girls like about Sylvie as far as their mother is concerned?
7. What do the girls see at the lake while skipping school?
8. How does the grandfather's house fare in the flood?
9. What do Lily and Nona decide to do about being in Fingerbone?
10. How do Lily and Nona feel toward each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the physical setting of the novel, Fingerbone, with the events that have been shown in the sister's lives in chapter one. How does one reflect the other? What foreshadowing to the rest of the narrator's life, might be gleaned from the descriptions of Fingerbone and the types of events common in that town?
Essay Topic 2
Lucille seems to want a "normal" household. Do you think this is true of most children? Explain your answer with illustrations from your life.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think would have happened to Ruth and Lucille if they had been born in 1995 instead in the late 1940's or early 1950's? How would that differ from what happened to them in the book?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)