|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the aunts ask Sylvie to do?
2. What do the girls want from Sylvie?
3. What kind of pictures does the grandfather paint?
4. Where does Molly go when she leaves home?
5. What does Sylvie say when asked if she wants children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lily and Nona feel about children?
2. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
3. What does Sylvie look like when she arrives in Fingerbone?
4. Why do Ruth and Lucille believe their aunt is an unstable person?
5. How does Sylvie feel about Ruth and Lucille going to school?
6. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
7. How do you think the girls might be feeling when they figure out their Aunts Lily and Nona don't want them?
8. What does Ruth do when Sylvie will not come upstairs when the house is flooded?
9. What happens when Sylvie leaves the house when she first gets to Fingerbone?
10. What does Sylvie do in response to Lily and Nona's ads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think would have happened to Ruth and Lucille if they had been born in 1995 instead in the late 1940's or early 1950's? How would that differ from what happened to them in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Lucille finally gives up on Sylvie and gets taken in by a teacher at school. How did this affect Ruth? How do you think you would have reacted to the same situation?
Essay Topic 3
By chapter five, we are beginning to see a picture of Sylvie as a person who does not seem to pay much attention to everyday life. What about Sylvie seems strange to you and does her strangeness make her more or less attractive to you? Why?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)