|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucille have to take to school after she is absent?
2. What does a teacher say about Lucille when they return to school following the flood?
3. How does Lucille feel about all the freedom Sylvie gives them?
4. Where are Ruth, Lucille and Sylvie marooned during the flood?
5. What do the girls do at home in their free time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the grandfather's house fare in the flood?
2. When and how do Ruth and Lucille end up in Fingerbone?
3. What is Ruth and Lucille's response to Lucille's encounter with her teacher?
4. How do Lily and Nona feel about being in Fingerbone and caring for Ruth and Lucille?
5. What do Ruth's mother and two aunts do following their father's death?
6. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
7. What happens to the town the second week that Sylvie is in Fingerbone?
8. What story does Sylvie tell during their stay upstairs to escape the flood waters? How do Ruth and Lucille react?
9. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
10. Where does the narrator's grandfather end up when he leaves home and what happens to him there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and Lucille's mother commits suicide in the first chapter. How do you think this event affected Ruth and Lucille's emotional and mental health? What do you think could cause a mother to commit suicide with two small children waiting for her at home?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Ruth and Lucille's life would look like if their mother had not committed suicide?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think the sheriff should have done something sooner about Sylvie and the girls? Why or why not?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)