|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Lily and Nona feel about Fingerbone?
2. What does their grandfather want most to do when he is young?
3. What kind of food does Sylvie generally make for dinner?
4. Why do Ruth and Lucille follow Sylvie when she leaves the house the day after she arrives there?
5. What does Sylvie feel about the girls' questions about their mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the grandfather's house fare in the flood?
2. What happens when Ruth and Lucille try to sew?
3. What does Ruth think would have happened in her life if her mother had not killed herself?
4. What does Lucille demand of Sylvie about dinner?
5. What is Sylvie's reaction to the town's concerns about her and Ruth?
6. What does the narrator say about her grandfather's youth in the first chapter?
7. How do the girls lie to Lily and Nona about Sylvie and what happens as the result?
8. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
9. What do the girls do when the weather turns warm?
10. What does Lucille do when she can no longer stand living with Sylvie?
Essay Topic 1
Sylvie comes home after Lucille yelled at her with huckleberries and made pancakes for the girls. Why do you think she did this?
Essay Topic 2
Lucille finally gives up on Sylvie and gets taken in by a teacher at school. How did this affect Ruth? How do you think you would have reacted to the same situation?
Essay Topic 3
As time goes by and Sylvie stays with the girls, the two sisters have different reactions and feelings towards Sylvie's eccentricities. Describe their differences and write about how you believe you would feel in the same circumstances.
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)