|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was their grandfather's childhood house built?
2. Why does the town of Fingerbone flood?
3. What kind of pictures does the grandfather paint?
4. What do Lily and Nona do the night the girls tell them why they're outside with Sylvie?
5. How do Helen and the girls visit their grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Sylvie and Ruth do the morning they return from the island?
2. How do Lily and Nona feel about being in Fingerbone and caring for Ruth and Lucille?
3. What is Ruth and Lucille's response to Lucille's encounter with her teacher?
4. How do Lily and Nona feel about children?
5. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
6. What does Ruth think would have happened in her life if her mother had not killed herself?
7. What does the grandmother plan to do with the girls when she dies?
8. When Lucille turns the lights on in the kitchen one night what does she see?
9. What does Ruth do when Sylvie will not come upstairs when the house is flooded?
10. What happens to the town the second week that Sylvie is in Fingerbone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Ruth and Lucille liked Sylvie when they met her? Use examples from the book and give your own opinion in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Sylvie goes into a frantic mode to try and convince the town that she is capable of caring for Ruth. Do you think people can change that fast? Do you think people, once they are adults, can change at all? Support your position with illustrations from the book and your own life.
Essay Topic 3
Sylvie comes home after Lucille yelled at her with huckleberries and made pancakes for the girls. Why do you think she did this?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)