|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do people in Fingerbone travel the lower lying areas of town during the flood?
2. What did Ruth and Lucille's father do when the girls were young?
3. What does Sylvie feel about the girls' questions about their mother?
4. Who is the narrator in the book, "Housekeeping?"
5. What happens to the girls when they return to school after skipping for a week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth think would have happened in her life if her mother had not killed herself?
2. What does Sylvie look like when she arrives in Fingerbone?
3. What do the girls see at the lake while skipping school?
4. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
5. Where do the girls go after the flood water recedes and what happens there?
6. Describe what happens the day the girls spend the night away from home.
7. Where does the narrator's grandfather end up when he leaves home and what happens to him there?
8. What do Sylvie and Ruth do the morning they return from the island?
9. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
10. What does Sylvie do in response to Lily and Nona's ads?
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and Lucille's mother commits suicide in the first chapter. How do you think this event affected Ruth and Lucille's emotional and mental health? What do you think could cause a mother to commit suicide with two small children waiting for her at home?
Essay Topic 2
Sylvie comes home after Lucille yelled at her with huckleberries and made pancakes for the girls. Why do you think she did this?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Ruth and Lucille's life would look like if their mother had not committed suicide?
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)