|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the food and necessities at the house during the flood?
2. How do Helen and the girls visit their grandmother?
3. Where have Lily and Nona found Sylvie?
4. Why does the town of Fingerbone flood?
5. How do Ruth and Lucille see Sylvie as far as her competence to be a caretaker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the girls go after the flood water recedes and what happens there?
2. What does the grandmother plan to do with the girls when she dies?
3. How does the grandfather's house fare in the flood?
4. What do the girls see at the lake while skipping school?
5. What do the girls know about Sylvie after one day in the house?
6. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
7. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
8. What story does Sylvie tell during their stay upstairs to escape the flood waters? How do Ruth and Lucille react?
9. How do you think the girls might be feeling when they figure out their Aunts Lily and Nona don't want them?
10. What does the narrator say about her grandfather's youth in the first chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think the sheriff should have done something sooner about Sylvie and the girls? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Sylvie became frantic that Ruth might be taken from her? Support your opinion with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Sylvie suggested the owner of a boat she steals is a lunatic? Do you think this reflects Sylvie's opinion of herself? Why?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)