|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucille have to take to school after she is absent?
2. How was their grandfather's childhood house built?
3. How does Lucille feel about all the freedom Sylvie gives them?
4. Who are Lily and Nona?
5. What does Sylvie do when Ruth begs her to come upstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the grandfather's house fare in the flood?
2. What are the attitudes of Ruth and Lucille towards Sylvie's eccentricities?
3. When and how do Ruth and Lucille end up in Fingerbone?
4. What do the girls see at the lake while skipping school?
5. What do Lily and Nona decide to do about being in Fingerbone?
6. What happens when Sylvie leaves the house when she first gets to Fingerbone?
7. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
8. How do you think the girls might be feeling when they figure out their Aunts Lily and Nona don't want them?
9. What do the girls know about Sylvie after one day in the house?
10. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think would have happened to Ruth and Lucille if they had been born in 1995 instead in the late 1940's or early 1950's? How would that differ from what happened to them in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Sylvie suggested the owner of a boat she steals is a lunatic? Do you think this reflects Sylvie's opinion of herself? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth and Lucille's mother commits suicide in the first chapter. How do you think this event affected Ruth and Lucille's emotional and mental health? What do you think could cause a mother to commit suicide with two small children waiting for her at home?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)