|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Helen and the girls visit their grandmother?
2. During the flood, what happens when Sylvie goes downstairs?
3. How does Ruth feel about all the freedom Sylvie gives them?
4. Where did the sisters' father grow up?
5. For what do Ruth and Lucille depend on each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the town the second week that Sylvie is in Fingerbone?
2. What is Ruth and Lucille's response to Lucille's encounter with her teacher?
3. What do Lily and Nona decide to do about being in Fingerbone?
4. What are the attitudes of Ruth and Lucille towards Sylvie's eccentricities?
5. What do the girls like about Sylvie as far as their mother is concerned?
6. How does Sylvie feel about Ruth and Lucille going to school?
7. What does the grandmother plan to do with the girls when she dies?
8. How does the grandfather's house fare in the flood?
9. How do Lily and Nona feel about children?
10. What do the girls see at the lake while skipping school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do think Sylvie is mentally ill? Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Lucille seems to want a "normal" household. Do you think this is true of most children? Explain your answer with illustrations from your life.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think the sheriff should have done something sooner about Sylvie and the girls? Why or why not?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)