|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where are Lily and Nona going to move?
2. What does the person from question #77 do after talking?
3. Why do bats keep coming in the girls' home?
4. Where are Ruth, Lucille and Sylvie marooned during the flood?
5. Why does Sylvie bond with Ruth and Lucille?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about her grandfather's youth in the first chapter?
2. How do Lily and Nona feel toward each other?
3. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
4. How do the girls lie to Lily and Nona about Sylvie and what happens as the result?
5. What do Ruth's mother and two aunts do following their father's death?
6. When and how do Ruth and Lucille end up in Fingerbone?
7. What does Sylvie look like when she arrives in Fingerbone?
8. What do the girls do to keep Sylvie from going downstairs during the flood?
9. What story does Sylvie tell during their stay upstairs to escape the flood waters? How do Ruth and Lucille react?
10. What happens to the town the second week that Sylvie is in Fingerbone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Ruth and Lucille liked Sylvie when they met her? Use examples from the book and give your own opinion in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the physical setting of the novel, Fingerbone, with the events that have been shown in the sister's lives in chapter one. How does one reflect the other? What foreshadowing to the rest of the narrator's life, might be gleaned from the descriptions of Fingerbone and the types of events common in that town?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Sylvie suggested the owner of a boat she steals is a lunatic? Do you think this reflects Sylvie's opinion of herself? Why?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)