|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the girls tell Sylvie they skipped school?
2. What does Sylvie do about the girls' questions about their mother?
3. Why does Sylvie think the woman with four children is alone?
4. What does Sylvie do at dinner and in the evenings?
5. How do Lily and Nona try to contact Sylvie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ruth and Lucille's response to Lucille's encounter with her teacher?
2. Where do the girls go after the flood water recedes and what happens there?
3. How do Lily and Nona feel about children?
4. What happens when Sylvie leaves the house when she first gets to Fingerbone?
5. What do the girls know about Sylvie after one day in the house?
6. What story does Sylvie tell during their stay upstairs to escape the flood waters? How do Ruth and Lucille react?
7. What does Sylvie do in response to Lily and Nona's ads?
8. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
9. What are the attitudes of Ruth and Lucille towards Sylvie's eccentricities?
10. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By chapter five, we are beginning to see a picture of Sylvie as a person who does not seem to pay much attention to everyday life. What about Sylvie seems strange to you and does her strangeness make her more or less attractive to you? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Do think Sylvie is mentally ill? Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Lily and Nona were able to justify leaving the girls with Sylvie? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)