|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alarms Ruth and Lucille about the state government?
2. What happens to the girls' mother when Ruth is six?
3. What does Sylvie do when she meets Ruth and Lucille?
4. What does the grandmother want Lily and Nona to do?
5. How long do the girls think the aunts will be staying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
2. When and how do Ruth and Lucille end up in Fingerbone?
3. How do you think the girls might be feeling when they figure out their Aunts Lily and Nona don't want them?
4. How do Lily and Nona feel about being in Fingerbone and caring for Ruth and Lucille?
5. What does the grandmother plan to do with the girls when she dies?
6. How does Sylvie feel about Ruth and Lucille going to school?
7. What happens when Sylvie leaves the house when she first gets to Fingerbone?
8. What does Sylvie look like when she arrives in Fingerbone?
9. What do the girls know about Sylvie after one day in the house?
10. How do the girls lie to Lily and Nona about Sylvie and what happens as the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Lily and Nona were able to justify leaving the girls with Sylvie? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Sylvie's relationship with the girls is similar to their mother's relationship with them? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Sylvie goes into a frantic mode to try and convince the town that she is capable of caring for Ruth. Do you think people can change that fast? Do you think people, once they are adults, can change at all? Support your position with illustrations from the book and your own life.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)