|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Lily and Nona make new friends?
2. How do Lily and Nona feel about children?
3. Who does Sylvie think Ruth is when Ruth finds her downstairs?
4. Where were Ruth and Lucille born?
5. What does Lucille have to take to school after she is absent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
2. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
3. How do Lily and Nona feel toward each other?
4. What do the girls do to keep Sylvie from going downstairs during the flood?
5. What does the grandmother plan to do with the girls when she dies?
6. How do the girls lie to Lily and Nona about Sylvie and what happens as the result?
7. What do Lily and Nona decide to do about being in Fingerbone?
8. How do you think the girls might be feeling when they figure out their Aunts Lily and Nona don't want them?
9. What does Sylvie look like when she arrives in Fingerbone?
10. What is Ruth and Lucille's response to Lucille's encounter with her teacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sylvie comes home after Lucille yelled at her with huckleberries and made pancakes for the girls. Why do you think she did this?
Essay Topic 2
Sylvie tells the girls that she and her husband are out of touch. Explain with examples from the book why you would or would not want to have someone like Sylvie for a spouse.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Sylvie's relationship with the girls is similar to their mother's relationship with them? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)