|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylvie think about the aunts taking care of the girls?
2. Who is the person in question #77 talking with at the lake?
3. For what do Ruth and Lucille depend on each other?
4. How do Ruth and Lucille feel about Sylvie when they meet her?
5. How do Helen and the girls visit their grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sylvie do in response to Lily and Nona's ads?
2. How do Lily and Nona feel about being in Fingerbone and caring for Ruth and Lucille?
3. What story does Sylvie tell during their stay upstairs to escape the flood waters? How do Ruth and Lucille react?
4. How does Sylvie feel about Ruth and Lucille going to school?
5. What do the girls do to keep Sylvie from going downstairs during the flood?
6. What does the narrator say about her grandfather's youth in the first chapter?
7. What does Ruth do when Sylvie will not come upstairs when the house is flooded?
8. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
9. What do the girls know about Sylvie after one day in the house?
10. What do Ruth's mother and two aunts do following their father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did you feel about the ending of this book? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Ruth and Lucille liked Sylvie when they met her? Use examples from the book and give your own opinion in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Sylvie tells the girls that she and her husband are out of touch. Explain with examples from the book why you would or would not want to have someone like Sylvie for a spouse.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)