Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do people in Fingerbone travel the lower lying areas of town during the flood?
2. What did Ruth and Lucille's father do when the girls were young?
3. What does Sylvie feel about the girls' questions about their mother?
4. Who is the narrator in the book, "Housekeeping?"
5. What happens to the girls when they return to school after skipping for a week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth think would have happened in her life if her mother had not killed herself?
2. What does Sylvie look like when she arrives in Fingerbone?
3. What do the girls see at the lake while skipping school?
4. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
5. Where do the girls go after the flood water recedes and what happens there?
6. Describe what happens the day the girls spend the night away from home.
7. Where does the narrator's grandfather end up when he leaves home and what happens to him there?
8. What do Sylvie and Ruth do the morning they return from the island?
9. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
10. What does Sylvie do in response to Lily and Nona's ads?
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Lily and Nona were able to justify leaving the girls with Sylvie? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
As time goes by and Sylvie stays with the girls, the two sisters have different reactions and feelings towards Sylvie's eccentricities. Describe their differences and write about how you believe you would feel in the same circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
Do think Sylvie is mentally ill? Use examples from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)