|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylvie do when Ruth begs her to come upstairs?
2. To where are Lily and Nona going to move?
3. How do Lily and Nona make new friends?
4. What do the aunts ask Sylvie to do?
5. What happens to the girls when they return to school after skipping for a week?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the narrator's grandfather end up when he leaves home and what happens to him there?
2. What happens when Sylvie leaves the house when she first gets to Fingerbone?
3. How do Lily and Nona feel toward each other?
4. How do Lily and Nona feel about children?
5. What are the attitudes of Ruth and Lucille towards Sylvie's eccentricities?
6. How does the grandfather's house fare in the flood?
7. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
8. What do the girls do to keep Sylvie from going downstairs during the flood?
9. How do you think the girls might be feeling when they figure out their Aunts Lily and Nona don't want them?
10. What do the girls like about Sylvie as far as their mother is concerned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think the sheriff should have done something sooner about Sylvie and the girls? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think would have happened to Ruth and Lucille if they had been born in 1995 instead in the late 1940's or early 1950's? How would that differ from what happened to them in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Lucille finally gives up on Sylvie and gets taken in by a teacher at school. How did this affect Ruth? How do you think you would have reacted to the same situation?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)