|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where are Lily and Nona going to move?
2. How long do the girls stay with their grandmother?
3. What does the person from question #77 do after talking?
4. Where does their grandfather end up when he leaves home?
5. What do Lily and Nona do the night the girls tell them why they're outside with Sylvie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth and Lucille's mother do after she leaves them on the front porch?
2. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
3. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
4. What story does Sylvie tell during their stay upstairs to escape the flood waters? How do Ruth and Lucille react?
5. What are the attitudes of Ruth and Lucille towards Sylvie's eccentricities?
6. What is Ruth and Lucille's response to Lucille's encounter with her teacher?
7. How do you think the girls might be feeling when they figure out their Aunts Lily and Nona don't want them?
8. What do the girls like about Sylvie as far as their mother is concerned?
9. What happens when Sylvie leaves the house when she first gets to Fingerbone?
10. How do the girls lie to Lily and Nona about Sylvie and what happens as the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think the sheriff should have done something sooner about Sylvie and the girls? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Ruth and Lucille liked Sylvie when they met her? Use examples from the book and give your own opinion in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Ruth and Lucille's life would look like if their mother had not committed suicide?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)