|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sylvie wearing when the aunts see her?
2. What does the person from question #77 do after talking?
3. What kind of food does Sylvie generally make for dinner?
4. Who is the person in question #77 talking with at the lake?
5. What do the girls tell Lily and Nona about why they were outside with Sylvie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sylvie do in response to Lily and Nona's ads?
2. What do Lily and Nona decide to do about being in Fingerbone?
3. What does the narrator say about her grandfather's youth in the first chapter?
4. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
5. How does Sylvie feel about Ruth and Lucille going to school?
6. What happens to the town the second week that Sylvie is in Fingerbone?
7. How do the girls lie to Lily and Nona about Sylvie and what happens as the result?
8. Where do the girls go after the flood water recedes and what happens there?
9. What is Ruth and Lucille's response to Lucille's encounter with her teacher?
10. How do you think the girls might be feeling when they figure out their Aunts Lily and Nona don't want them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Lily and Nona were able to justify leaving the girls with Sylvie? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
By chapter five, we are beginning to see a picture of Sylvie as a person who does not seem to pay much attention to everyday life. What about Sylvie seems strange to you and does her strangeness make her more or less attractive to you? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Lucille seems to want a "normal" household. Do you think this is true of most children? Explain your answer with illustrations from your life.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)