|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruth do when the trash fire has gone out?
(a) goes to the lake
(b) goes to bed
(c) hides in the orchard
(d) eats dinner
2. What does Lucille demand after she sees Sylvie's picture?
(a) to meet her uncle
(b) regular meals with the lights on
(c) for Sylvie to hang his picture on the wall
(d) for Sylvie to take them to live with her husband
3. What does Ruth plan to use to lure the children?
(a) hot dogs
(b) a pretty doll
(c) a book
4. What do the girls clear off the kitchen table?
(b) dirty dishes
(c) a couple of cats
(d) Sylvie's can collection
5. How does Sylvie try to gain acceptance of her custody?
(a) attending church
(b) cooking healthy meals
(c) talking to the neighbors
(d) cleaning the house
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sheriff do about Sylvie's efforts to change?
2. Who begins to voice objections about Ruth's care?
3. What happens after the girls fight over the flowers?
4. Where do Sylvie and Ruth spend the night?
5. What does Lucille bring home from the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the girls do when the weather turns warm?
2. What does Ruth think about the loss of her mother in relationship to her thoughts on Cain and Abel?
3. Why does the sheriff visit Ruth and Sylvie and what do some neighboring women do about his visit?
4. What does Ruth think would have happened in her life if her mother had not killed herself?
5. In Chapter 10, what does Sylvie do to continue to change enough to keep Ruth?
6. What do the neighboring women do about the condition of Ruth's house?
7. What happens when Lucille yells at Sylvie about sleeping on the bench?
8. What does Lucille demand of Sylvie about dinner?
9. Where do Sylvie and Ruth spend the night when they leave the island?
10. What does Sylvie do when Lucille asks about her husband?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)