|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ruth feel about Sylvie trying to change?
(a) She is touched.
(b) She is amused.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is amazed.
2. What does the sheriff tell Ruth about the next day?
(a) It is his birthday.
(b) She better be in school.
(c) She is being taken away.
(d) Lucille will meet her at the library.
3. What does Sylvie do with all the newspapers and magazines in the house?
(a) donates them to Goodwill
(b) arranges them neatly on shelves
(c) burns them
(d) gives them to the library
4. What picture does Sylvie show Lucille as her husband?
(a) a picture in a small locket
(b) a drawing of her husband
(c) a sailor out of a magazine
(d) her wedding picture
5. What does the sheriff asks Sylvie when he stops by the house?
(a) where the girls' father is
(b) to talk to Ruth
(c) if she stole a boat
(d) where Lucille is staying
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Sylvie and Ruth spend the night?
2. What is Sylvie doing on a park bench?
3. What does Sylvie say about her relationship with her husband?
4. What does Lucille do when they find Sylvie on the park bench?
5. What does Sylvie tell Ruth about the people on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the sheriff visit Ruth and Sylvie and what do some neighboring women do about his visit?
2. Where do Sylvie and Ruth spend the night when they leave the island?
3. What do they see and how do the neighboring women feel about Ruth and Sylvie's house?
4. What does Lucille demand of Sylvie about dinner?
5. Describe what happens the day the girls spend the night away from home.
6. In Chapter 10, what does Sylvie do to continue to change enough to keep Ruth?
7. What do the neighboring women do about the condition of Ruth's house?
8. What does Lucille decide she and Ruth need to do about their life?
9. When the school sends letters to Sylvie about the girls' truancy, what does Sylvie do?
10. What does Lucille do when she can no longer stand living with Sylvie?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)