|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ruth get Sylvie to come upstairs?
(a) She hits her and pulls her upstairs.
(b) She screams at her.
(c) She shames her.
(d) She offers to cook dinner.
2. Why does Ruth hit Sylvie?
(a) to bring her out of her withdrawal
(b) because she hates Sylvie
(c) because Ruth is angry
(d) to kill a bee on her shirt
3. How do people in Fingerbone travel the lower lying areas of town during the flood?
(a) by boat
(b) by rafts
(d) wading the waters
4. Where does the town where the sisters stay with their grandmother sit?
(a) on the top of a steep mountain
(b) near the redwood forest
(c) on the shores of a nameless lake
(d) on the cliffs looking over the ocean
5. In what state is the town after the flood waters recede?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the food and necessities at the house during the flood?
2. How does Sylvie talk to Ruth and Lucille?
3. What story does Sylvie tell the girls while waiting out the flood?
4. Why does Sylvie bond with Ruth and Lucille?
5. How do Lily and Nona feel about moving from their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and how do Ruth and Lucille end up in Fingerbone?
2. Where do the girls go after the flood water recedes and what happens there?
3. What do the girls see at the lake while skipping school?
4. What does Sylvie do in response to Lily and Nona's ads?
5. What does Ruth do when Sylvie will not come upstairs when the house is flooded?
6. What do the girls do to keep Sylvie from going downstairs during the flood?
7. What do Lily and Nona decide to do about being in Fingerbone?
8. What happens when Sylvie goes downstairs during the flood after telling the girls a story?
9. Why do Ruth and Lucille believe their aunt is an unstable person?
10. What happens to the narrator's grandmother after her husband is killed?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)