|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the flood, what happens when Sylvie goes downstairs?
(a) She drowns.
(b) She leaves the children for a month.
(c) She does not come back upstairs.
(d) She slips in the water.
2. How does the grandfather die?
(a) a tree falls on him
(b) a grizzly bear mauls him
(c) train goes off the bridge
(d) from polio
3. Why does Sylvie think the woman with four children is alone?
(a) She does not have any money to feed them.
(b) The woman's husband has the children.
(c) Her children were taken from her.
(d) She is on her way home.
4. Why do Ruth and Lucille skip school?
(a) They are bullied by other students.
(b) It ias too hot so they go swimming.
(c) They were not prepared for a test.
(d) They did not want to give the teacher a note.
5. What does Lucille do to keep Sylvie upstairs?
(a) ties her up
(b) locks the bedroom door
(c) plays games with her
(d) runs all the errands downstairs
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Lily and Nona make new friends?
2. Why do they want to find Sylvie?
3. Who are Lily and Nona?
4. What does Sylvie do when Ruth begs her to come upstairs?
5. How do Lily and Nona feel about moving from their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about her grandfather's youth in the first chapter?
2. What is Ruth and Lucille's response to Lucille's encounter with her teacher?
3. What does the grandmother plan to do with the girls when she dies?
4. Where does the narrator's grandfather end up when he leaves home and what happens to him there?
5. What do Ruth's mother and two aunts do following their father's death?
6. What does Sylvie do in response to Lily and Nona's ads?
7. What are the attitudes of Ruth and Lucille towards Sylvie's eccentricities?
8. What do the girls know about Sylvie after one day in the house?
9. What do Lily and Nona decide to do about being in Fingerbone?
10. What do the girls see at the lake while skipping school?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)