|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sylvie say about the owner of the boat?
(a) He may be a lunatic.
(b) He makes the boat with his hands.
(c) He is her cousin.
(d) He has loaned her the boat.
2. What prompts the sheriff's visit to Ruth's home?
(a) The yard has not been mowed.
(b) Ruth is spotted riding a boxcar.
(c) The dog is barking too much.
(d) The house has a strange smell.
3. What does Sylvie do after the answer in question #105?
(a) sends Lucille to bed
(b) cooks dinner
(c) sits down
(d) leaves the house
4. What does Sylvie do when the girls come home in the morning after staying out all night?
(a) makes them go to school
(b) screams at them
(c) calls the police
(d) wraps them in warmed quilts
5. How do the girls find out what certain sewing terms mean?
(a) using the dictionary
(b) asking a girl at school
(c) asking a teacher
(d) asking Sylvie
6. What does Sylvie tell the sheriff about Ruth hiding in the orchard?
(a) she loses her shoe there.
(b) She is looking for the cat.
(c) She is picking the apples.
(d) They are playing a game.
7. Why does Lucille ask Sylvie about her husband?
(a) she thought he might visit
(b) she wanted to know who he was
(c) to spite her
(d) she was curious
8. What does Sylvie tell the sheriff in answer to his inquiry in question # 164?
(a) She does not know where their father is.
(b) She did not steal a boat.
(c) Lucille is staying with a teacher.
(d) Ruth is upstairs in bed.
9. What is Sylvie doing on a park bench?
(a) feeding the birds
(b) lying down with a newspaper over her face
(c) reading a book
(d) talking to a neighbor
10. What do neighboring women bring to Ruth and Sylvie?
(a) cleaning supplies
(b) dog food and a leash
(c) a lawnmower
(d) casseroles, knitted scarves, gloves, and hats
11. Who begins to voice objections about Ruth's care?
(a) the sheriff
(b) the school
(c) the neighbors
12. What does Lucille want to do with the pressed flowers they find in a book?
(a) gives them to friends at school
(b) spreads them around the house
(c) throws them out
(d) gives them to Sylvie
13. The morning after the girls stay out all night, what does Lucille want to do?
(a) go to the lake
(b) go to church
(c) find their father
(d) take the girls from school
14. What does Lucille demand after she sees Sylvie's picture?
(a) to meet her uncle
(b) regular meals with the lights on
(c) for Sylvie to hang his picture on the wall
(d) for Sylvie to take them to live with her husband
15. What does Sylvie say about the objections of the neighbors?
(a) that she is ill
(b) that Ruth is happy
(c) She has no defense.
(d) to bug off
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylvie say her husband does for a living?
2. What does Ruth settle for with Sylvie?
3. What does Sylvie do while the girls eat in the kitchen?
4. What does Lucille do when they find Sylvie on the park bench?
5. What happens to the pressed flowers the sisters find?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)