|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sylvie urge Ruth to do about the objections?
(a) to keep silent
(b) to run away
(c) to return to school
(d) to dress better
2. What does the sheriff do about Sylvie's efforts to change?
(a) He schedules a hearing.
(b) He commends her.
(c) He says he is going to watch her.
(d) He does not do anything.
3. What does Lucille tell the principal at school?
(a) go bug off
(b) She does not care about school.
(c) She has a new attitude.
(d) her aunt is insane
4. What prompts the sheriff's visit to Ruth's home?
(a) The dog is barking too much.
(b) The yard has not been mowed.
(c) The house has a strange smell.
(d) Ruth is spotted riding a boxcar.
5. Who follows Sylvie and Ruth at the lake?
(a) an irate man
(b) an alligator
(c) a dog
(d) some ducklings
6. What does Ruth do when the trash fire has gone out?
(a) hides in the orchard
(b) goes to bed
(c) goes to the lake
(d) eats dinner
7. What does Sylvie tell the sheriff in answer to his inquiry in question # 164?
(a) Lucille is staying with a teacher.
(b) She does not know where their father is.
(c) She did not steal a boat.
(d) Ruth is upstairs in bed.
8. What is in the letter Sylvie receives in Chapter 10?
(a) scheduling a custody hearing
(b) taking Ruth from her
(c) a letter from Molly saying she was coming home
(d) the letter from Ruth's father asking for her
9. What does Sylvie think Ruth can do with the children on the island?
(a) She can play with them.
(b) She can talk them into going to school.
(c) She can feed them.
(d) She can catch them.
10. What does Sylvie say about the owner of the boat?
(a) He has loaned her the boat.
(b) He is her cousin.
(c) He may be a lunatic.
(d) He makes the boat with his hands.
11. Of what does the hands-off care from Sylvie remind Ruth?
(a) the teachers at school
(b) their mother's behavior
(c) their father's behavior
(d) their grandmother's behavior
12. What does the sheriff asks Sylvie when he stops by the house?
(a) where Lucille is staying
(b) if she stole a boat
(c) to talk to Ruth
(d) where the girls' father is
13. Why does Lucille ask Sylvie about her husband?
(a) she wanted to know who he was
(b) to spite her
(c) she thought he might visit
(d) she was curious
14. What does Lucille beg Ruth to do when they are out of the house?
(a) get a job
(b) tell the minister what is going on in their house
(c) not go back to Sylvie
(d) run away with her
15. What do the neighbors see on the floor of the house?
(a) dog droppings
(c) fallen leaves
(d) muddy foot prints
Short Answer Questions
1. What picture does Sylvie show Lucille as her husband?
2. What does Sylvie do when the girls come home in the morning after staying out all night?
3. What does Lucille do when Sylvie returns to the house after leaving the park bench?
4. What does Ruth have for lunch on the island?
5. What does Sylvie do when she comes home with the answer in question #108?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)