|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where have Lily and Nona found Sylvie?
2. What does Sylvie do when Ruth begs her to come upstairs?
(a) She comes upstairs.
(b) She slaps Ruth.
(c) She quits talking to her.
(d) She leaves the house.
3. What is Sylvie wearing when the aunts see her?
(a) salvaged clothes
(b) shorts and t-shirt
(c) swim suit
(d) fur coat
4. Where were Ruth and Lucille born?
5. How does Lucille stay home from school?
(a) goes to the doctor
(b) fakes an illness
(c) tells Sylvie there's no school that day
(d) cuts her arm
6. Who is the narrator in the book, "Housekeeping?"
7. What kind of relationship do Lily and Nona have?
(a) close sisterly bond
(b) they don't understand each other
(c) they're rivals
(d) they are indifferent to each other
8. Why do Ruth and Lucille follow Sylvie when she leaves the house the day after she arrives there?
(a) They think she is not dressed properly for the weather
(b) They think she will get lost.
(c) They are afraid she will leave.
(d) They think she is going to buy them something.
9. How does the grandfather die?
(a) a tree falls on him
(b) a grizzly bear mauls him
(c) from polio
(d) train goes off the bridge
10. What do the girls tell Lily and Nona about why they were outside with Sylvie?
(a) that she thought it was too cold for them to be out
(b) that they were disobeying her
(c) that she wanted to take them to the store
(d) that she needed directions to the lawyer's
11. What does Sylvie feel about the girls' questions about their mother?
(c) put off
12. What does their grandfather do when he arrives at the town?
(a) marries and builds a house
(b) becomes the mayor
(c) becomes the town doctor
(d) marries and then gets divorced
13. How do Lily and Nona feel about children?
(a) uncomfortable around them
(b) excited around them
(c) sad around them
(d) happy around them
14. What did Ruth and Lucille's father do when the girls were young?
(a) deserted the family
(b) moved to Florida
(d) became a millionaire
15. Who are Lily and Nona?
(a) Helen's sisters
(b) Ruth's sisters
(c) the grandmother's sisters-in-law
(d) the grandmother's sisters
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sylvie think Ruth is when Ruth finds her downstairs?
2. What does Sylvie do at dinner and in the evenings?
3. How does Ruth get Sylvie to come upstairs?
4. How does Lucille feel about all the freedom Sylvie gives them?
5. What is Ruth and Lucille's mother's name?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)