|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen do after the girls settle on their grandmother's porch?
(a) visits the graveyard where her father was buried
(b) jumps off the train bridge
(c) leaves and never came back
(d) drives into the lake
2. What do the aunts ask Sylvie to do?
(a) come back to Fiingerbone
(b) take the girls to Wyoming
(c) find Mary
(d) contact the family lawyer
3. How does Lucille feel about all the freedom Sylvie gives them?
4. How do Lily and Nona feel about moving from their home?
(a) They are excited.
(b) They are anxious.
(c) They are indifferent.
(d) They resent it.
5. Who does Sylvie think Ruth is when Ruth finds her downstairs?
(a) the grandmother
6. How do Lily and Nona try to contact Sylvie?
(a) by radio
(b) by contacting her old boyfriend
(c) through Mary
(d) newspaper ads
7. How do Lily and Nona feel about Fingerbone?
(a) They love it.
(b) They're indifferent to it.
(c) They hate it.
(d) They're curious about it.
8. What does Ruth fear about Sylvie?
(a) She has left them.
(b) She has died.
(c) She cannot find any food.
(d) She has fallen in the water.
9. Where is Sylvie?
(a) she is in Kentucky
(b) she has no known address
(c) she is living in Europe
(d) she is in Spokane
10. What do Lily and Nona do about Sylvie and the girls?
(a) ignore Sylvie's problems
(b) lecture them
(c) go to the lawyer's with them
(d) serve them dinner
11. Where were Ruth and Lucille born?
12. Who is the narrator in the book, "Housekeeping?"
13. Why does Sylvie bond with Ruth and Lucille?
(a) She listens to them with interest.
(b) She is young herself.
(c) She does not tell them what to do.
(d) She loved Helen.
14. To where are Lily and Nona going to move?
15. What do the girls do at home in their free time?
(a) watch television
(b) explore their grandmother's possessions
(c) go over to friends' houses
(d) play jacks
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Ruth and Lucille follow Sylvie when she leaves the house the day after she arrives there?
2. How do Lily and Nona react to change?
3. What do the girls want from Sylvie?
4. What does Sylvie do about the girls' questions about their mother?
5. In what state is the town after the flood waters recede?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)