|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sylvie go when she leaves the house the day after she meets Ruth?
(a) the post office
(c) the grocery store
(d) to the train station
2. How does Lucille stay home from school?
(a) goes to the doctor
(b) tells Sylvie there's no school that day
(c) fakes an illness
(d) cuts her arm
3. What does Sylvie do at dinner and in the evenings?
(a) tells stories of her life
(b) prowls the attic
(d) goes outside
4. How do Lily and Nona feel about moving from their home?
(a) They resent it.
(b) They are anxious.
(c) They are excited.
(d) They are indifferent.
5. What do Ruth and Lucille hear often in the night?
(a) the wind off the lake
(b) screech owls chasing each other
(c) a banging in the attic
(d) Sylvie crying or singing
6. Where do Lily and Nona live?
(a) New York
7. Why do bats keep coming in the girls' home?
(a) They have a nest in the attic.
(b) It is very dark inside.
(c) Sylvie leaves the windows open.
(d) They like the food.
8. How does Ruth get Sylvie to come upstairs?
(a) She shames her.
(b) She screams at her.
(c) She hits her and pulls her upstairs.
(d) She offers to cook dinner.
9. What do the girls do at home in their free time?
(a) go over to friends' houses
(b) explore their grandmother's possessions
(c) watch television
(d) play jacks
10. How do the girls and Sylvie eat dinner?
(a) in the dark
(b) without utensils
(c) off of napkins
(d) with chopsticks
11. What story does Sylvie tell the girls while waiting out the flood?
(a) about blue birds in spring
(b) about her sister Molly
(c) about a woman on a bus
(d) about her husband
12. Where is Sylvie?
(a) she has no known address
(b) she is in Spokane
(c) she is living in Europe
(d) she is in Kentucky
13. Who does Sylvie think Ruth is when Ruth finds her downstairs?
(c) the grandmother
14. Where were Ruth and Lucille born?
15. What happens to the girls when they return to school after skipping for a week?
(a) they are suspended
(b) they have to do detention after school
(d) they have to make up all their work
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of residence do Lily and Nona have?
2. How do Lily and Nona try to contact Sylvie?
3. Why does Ruth hit Sylvie?
4. Who are Lily and Nona?
5. Where did the sisters' father grow up?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)