|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ronnie intend this item he has just constructed from a box to be for?
2. What kind of literature is referenced in Act II, Scene I, Part I?
3. Who does Artie persuade to live in Bunny's apartment and take care of Bananas?
4. What does Bunny command Artie to start doing for Corrinna?
5. Artie recognizes Corrinna because of how many movies she has appeared in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a position paper on whether or not you believe Artie Shaughnessy is a sympathetic character. Be definitive in your response and support your thesis with examples and quotes from the play.
Essay Topic 2
In Act I, Part I, the audience learns that the Vietnam War is the context for the play. The Pope is going to New York to speak to the UN about the war. Artie has a son that is in Vietnam. Using information from the class discussion on the play's context, discuss in a thesis driven paper the significance of the war going on during the play. How does the war, taking place away from the play's action, still affect the play and its characters? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Ronnie's character in The House of Blue Leaves is neither prominent nor fully understood. Aside from Act II, Scene I, Part I, his voice is not heard; therefore his thoughts are not known. However, much can be deduced from the few times we see Ronnie. In a thesis driven paper, discuss Ronnie's character and his significance to the play. Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your response.
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)