|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the items in the box that Ronnie wires together foreshadow in the play?
2. What is Artie looking for when he runs back into the apartment at the beginning of Act II, Scene I, Part II?
3. What does Corrinna drop when she sees the three nuns at the window?
4. Who does Artie call after realizing that the song he wrote has the same tune as Bananas' favorite Christmas song?
5. What does Ronnie say in his speech that everyone from his father to his commanding officer do to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a position paper on whether or not you believe Artie Shaughnessy is a sympathetic character. Be definitive in your response and support your thesis with examples and quotes from the play.
Essay Topic 2
In Act I, Part I, the audience learns that the Vietnam War is the context for the play. The Pope is going to New York to speak to the UN about the war. Artie has a son that is in Vietnam. Using information from the class discussion on the play's context, discuss in a thesis driven paper the significance of the war going on during the play. How does the war, taking place away from the play's action, still affect the play and its characters? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
The climax of The House of Blue Leaves was discussed in a classroom lecture. Develop a thesis about the climax and why it is this play's climax. Why is this moment the point of all rising action? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)