|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is taking place at the beginning of Act II, Scene II?
2. Who are Ronnie and the Little Nun wrestling at the end of Act II, Scene I, Part II?
3. What does Ronnie say he is going to do when he emerges from his room in his army fatigues?
4. What does Ronnie throw to Corrinna as she is leaving, saying it is a gift for Billy?
5. What does Corrinna say to the nuns about Billy that devastates Artie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Artie sets the precedent in the Prologue for talking directly to the audience, which the rest of the characters do throughout the play. Nontraditional in plays until The House of Blue Leaves, discuss the significance of breaking the fourth wall and its significance to this play. Without this tactic, would the play be the same? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are several recurring symbols throughout The House of Blue Leaves. Pick one and discuss it at length: what it means, where it is seen and why, its meanings within the play's context, why this symbol works, and how it furthers the play's narrative and meaning. Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Write a compare and contrast paper between Artie and Bananas. Although Bananas is outwardly mentally unstable, the audience notices the subtleties of Artie's madness as the play progresses. One character's instability is external, while the other character's instability is internal. Use specific examples and quotes from the text to show this.
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)