|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ronnie say in his speech that everyone from his father to his commanding officer think of him?
2. Why does Ronnie desperately want to audition for Billy's movie?
3. Who does Artie persuade to live in Bunny's apartment and take care of Bananas?
4. What does Ronnie do after Billy calls him the hurtful name?
5. Who runs out of the bathroom because the hot water will not turn off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bananas and Artie clearly have a dysfunctional relationship. Artie goes through a range of emotions pertaining to Bananas throughout the play before eventually strangling her at the end. Analyze the couple's relationship through a chronological standpoint, assessing the significance of their relationship in the play. Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
There are several recurring symbols throughout The House of Blue Leaves. Pick one and discuss it at length: what it means, where it is seen and why, its meanings within the play's context, why this symbol works, and how it furthers the play's narrative and meaning. Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of Billy's reasoning that the audience is the most important part to a performance? What point is Guare making with this subtle injection? Is this true? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)