|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bunny complain about when she comes up from her apartment?
2. Artie recognizes Corrinna because of how many movies she has appeared in?
3. Where does Ronnie wire the items he takes out of the box to?
4. What does Ronnie do the moment that Billy walks through the door, according to his story?
5. What do the Little Nun and Billy discuss that they both lost in the bomb blast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several recurring symbols throughout The House of Blue Leaves. Pick one and discuss it at length: what it means, where it is seen and why, its meanings within the play's context, why this symbol works, and how it furthers the play's narrative and meaning. Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
The longing to be noticed is a thematic element common to characters in American dramatic literature. Compare this among the characters in The House of Blue Leaves to another novel or play you have read that has this same recurring theme. Use specific information and quotes from The House of Blue Leaves, while the other novel/play can be loosely paraphrased.
Essay Topic 3
Ronnie's character in The House of Blue Leaves is neither prominent nor fully understood. Aside from Act II, Scene I, Part I, his voice is not heard; therefore his thoughts are not known. However, much can be deduced from the few times we see Ronnie. In a thesis driven paper, discuss Ronnie's character and his significance to the play. Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your response.
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)