|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Artie looking for when he runs back into the apartment at the beginning of Act II, Scene I, Part II?
2. Who does Artie call after realizing that the song he wrote has the same tune as Bananas' favorite Christmas song?
3. What does Bananas attempt to do with Billy in Act II, Scene II?
4. Who does Corrinna say sent her when she shows up at Artie's apartment?
5. What are the nuns doing when Ronnie makes his announcement in Act 2, Scene 1, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The climax of The House of Blue Leaves was discussed in a classroom lecture. Develop a thesis about the climax and why it is this play's climax. Why is this moment the point of all rising action? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
In class discussions, the literary style of farce was discussed. Farce is evident throughout the play, heightening in certain scenes. Based on what you have learned about farce, construct a thesis discussion farce within The House of Blue Leaves, what it is, why it is used in this play, and how it functions within the play. Use examples and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Write a position paper on whether or not you believe Artie Shaughnessy is a sympathetic character. Be definitive in your response and support your thesis with examples and quotes from the play.
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)