|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Artie desperately do in order to keep Bunny and Billy from leaving?
2. What does Ronnie say in his speech that everyone from his father to his commanding officer think of him?
3. When Bunny appears from her apartment downstairs in Act II, Scene II, what does she have?
4. How does Artie yearn to be noticed?
5. What does Corrinna say to the nuns about Billy that devastates Artie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from being shown as a spotlight, the color blue is utilized at other moments in the play, revealing its true meaning is relation to the characters. How does the color blue unite Bananas and Artie? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In class discussions, the literary style of farce was discussed. Farce is evident throughout the play, heightening in certain scenes. Based on what you have learned about farce, construct a thesis discussion farce within The House of Blue Leaves, what it is, why it is used in this play, and how it functions within the play. Use examples and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Write a compare and contrast paper between Artie and Bananas. Although Bananas is outwardly mentally unstable, the audience notices the subtleties of Artie's madness as the play progresses. One character's instability is external, while the other character's instability is internal. Use specific examples and quotes from the text to show this.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)