|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the nuns drop from the roof of Artie's building?
2. Who does Billy say is the reason for why he makes movies?
3. What does Bananas end up swallowing thinking that it is her pills?
4. What song does Bananas request that Artie play in Act 2, Scene 1, Part 2?
5. What do the Little Nun and Billy discuss that they both lost in the bomb blast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the Pope such a significant, but unseen character in The House of Blue Leaves? What does he symbolize and why are these characters chasing after him? What do they ultimately want? Construct a thesis driven paper using specific information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
All of the characters in The House of Blue Leaves are connected by the desire to be acknowledged. Write a paper based on this point and connect each of the characters, showing their similarities and the basic human element that causes them to desire acknowledgment. Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several recurring symbols throughout The House of Blue Leaves. Pick one and discuss it at length: what it means, where it is seen and why, its meanings within the play's context, why this symbol works, and how it furthers the play's narrative and meaning. Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your response.
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)