|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Billy frustrated with Ronnie when he walks through the door, according to Ronnie's story?
2. What does Ronnie's homemade concoction from the box he carries onto the stage symbolize?
3. What does Ronnie throw to Corrinna as she is leaving, saying it is a gift for Billy?
4. What does Billy say is the most important group to be a part of in a movie?
5. What does Ronnie take out of the box he is holding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The blue spotlight is shown at two times during the play: the Prologue and the final scene. They both shine on Artie when he is alone and singing; however the two scenes are significantly different in their tone and and meaning. Write a thesis driven paper that gets at the heart of the difference between these two scenes and what the blue spotlight means in each of them. Essentially, what is the difference between the Artie in the Prologue and the Artie at the play's end? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
The longing to be noticed is a thematic element common to characters in American dramatic literature. Compare this among the characters in The House of Blue Leaves to another novel or play you have read that has this same recurring theme. Use specific information and quotes from The House of Blue Leaves, while the other novel/play can be loosely paraphrased.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the Pope such a significant, but unseen character in The House of Blue Leaves? What does he symbolize and why are these characters chasing after him? What do they ultimately want? Construct a thesis driven paper using specific information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)