|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Artie's last name?
2. Who could Bananas' dream be a foreshadowing of?
3. Artie agrees to see the Pope with Bunny on one condition. What is that condition?
4. What does the audience become after the Prologue of The House of Blue Leaves?
5. What does Artie do in the Prologue of The House of Blue Leaves that is a convention of plays first introduced here?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bunny reveal that she wishes to happen when she first introduces herself to the audience?
2. What does Bunny tell the audience was the best part of the war movie Corrinna was in?
3. What does "breaking the fourth wall" and speaking to the audience achieve?
4. What does the color blue function as in the Prologue?
5. How is the truth about what the color blue means revealed in Act I, Part II?
6. How does Corrinna die by the end of Act II, Scene I, Part II?
7. What does Corrinna say to the audience when she arrives in Act II, Scene I, Part II?
8. What does Ronnie do with Artie's alarm clock?
9. Bananas asks Billy to stay with her in the apartment, but what does Billy suggest instead?
10. After learning of Corrinna's death, why does Billy not want to return to California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The blue spotlight is shown at two times during the play: the Prologue and the final scene. They both shine on Artie when he is alone and singing; however the two scenes are significantly different in their tone and and meaning. Write a thesis driven paper that gets at the heart of the difference between these two scenes and what the blue spotlight means in each of them. Essentially, what is the difference between the Artie in the Prologue and the Artie at the play's end? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
In class discussions, the literary style of farce was discussed. Farce is evident throughout the play, heightening in certain scenes. Based on what you have learned about farce, construct a thesis discussion farce within The House of Blue Leaves, what it is, why it is used in this play, and how it functions within the play. Use examples and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams appear numerous times in The House of Blue Leaves, either from Artie or Bananas. Discuss some of these two characters' dreams and why they are in the play. What is their significance? What do they reveal about the characters to the audience? Are they necessary to the play's narrative? Cite specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)