|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bunny go when Artie asks her to leave?
2. What does Bunny wish to happen when the Pope passes by?
3. Where is Artie's apartment located in New York?
4. Why does Bananas tell Artie not to be disrespectful at the beginning of Act I, Part II?
5. When Artie tells Bunny that the audience talked through his entire set at the club the previous evening, what is he referring to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Act I, Part II end?
2. What is Ronnie dressed in when we first see him in Act I, Part I?
3. What is Bunny doing when we first see her in Act I, Part I?
4. What does Artie's casual cruelty toward Bananas signify?
5. What does Corrinna say to the audience when she arrives in Act II, Scene I, Part II?
6. What does Bunny tell the audience was the best part of the war movie Corrinna was in?
7. In his story, Ronnie explains that Billy came to Queens; what was Billy doing?
8. What does Bunny reveal that she wishes to happen when she first introduces herself to the audience?
9. How does Bunny get Billy to ask her to come to Australia with him?
10. What does the color blue function as in the Prologue?
Essay Topic 1
Artie sets the precedent in the Prologue for talking directly to the audience, which the rest of the characters do throughout the play. Nontraditional in plays until The House of Blue Leaves, discuss the significance of breaking the fourth wall and its significance to this play. Without this tactic, would the play be the same? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The climax of The House of Blue Leaves was discussed in a classroom lecture. Develop a thesis about the climax and why it is this play's climax. Why is this moment the point of all rising action? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
The blue spotlight is shown at two times during the play: the Prologue and the final scene. They both shine on Artie when he is alone and singing; however the two scenes are significantly different in their tone and and meaning. Write a thesis driven paper that gets at the heart of the difference between these two scenes and what the blue spotlight means in each of them. Essentially, what is the difference between the Artie in the Prologue and the Artie at the play's end? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your response.
This section contains 1,728 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)