|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Artie tell Billy he met Bunny for the first time?
2. What will all of the characters do throughout the play that Artie does in the Prologue?
3. What does Artie do so that Bananas can see the Pope?
4. How many functions does the Prologue in The House of Blue Leaves foreshadow throughout the play?
5. What does Bananas ask Artie about her dream at the end of Act I, Part I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bunny doing when we first see her in Act I, Part I?
2. Describe what Artie is doing in the play's Prologue.
3. What does Artie do in the Prologue that all of the other characters will also do?
4. What does the audience learn about the Prologue in Act I, Scene I?
5. Is Billy impressed by Ronnie's routine?
6. Why does Corrinna ask the nuns to pray for her?
7. After learning of Corrinna's death, why does Billy not want to return to California?
8. What does Bananas' story about being on the snowy rooftop foreshadow?
9. Billy explains to Artie that it is better when he imagines Artie in the audience than for Artie to actually be there. Is this reasonable?
10. What does Ronnie do with Artie's alarm clock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The end of The House of Blue Leaves is characterized by new beginnings. The characters involved in the final scene experience new beginnings that are mostly positive. Artie is the only character that does not, although he is the one character who yearned for it the most. Discuss the final scene, what these new beginnings are, what they mean, and why Artie is the only one who is left alone in a well constructed thesis paper. Use information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write a position paper on whether or not you believe Artie Shaughnessy is a sympathetic character. Be definitive in your response and support your thesis with examples and quotes from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Bananas and Artie clearly have a dysfunctional relationship. Artie goes through a range of emotions pertaining to Bananas throughout the play before eventually strangling her at the end. Analyze the couple's relationship through a chronological standpoint, assessing the significance of their relationship in the play. Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)