|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the symbolic colorization in the Prologue physically represented on stage?
2. What is the purpose of the Prologue in The House of Blue Leaves?
3. Where is Artie's apartment located in New York?
4. When does the play begin?
5. What does Bunny call Artie's songs in order to cheer him up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the truth about what the color blue means revealed in Act I, Part II?
2. Is Artie eager for success? If so, how can you tell?
3. How does Act I, Part II end?
4. What does Artie comment to the audience at the beginning of Act II, Scene I, Part II regarding Bunny and Bananas?
5. What is noted in the Prologue that will happen with Artie's dreams?
6. What does Bananas' story about being on the snowy rooftop foreshadow?
7. What does Bunny tell the audience was the best part of the war movie Corrinna was in?
8. What is Ronnie dressed in when we first see him in Act I, Part I?
9. What is Ronnie's bomb a symbol for?
10. Billy explains to Artie that it is better when he imagines Artie in the audience than for Artie to actually be there. Is this reasonable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The blue spotlight is shown at two times during the play: the Prologue and the final scene. They both shine on Artie when he is alone and singing; however the two scenes are significantly different in their tone and and meaning. Write a thesis driven paper that gets at the heart of the difference between these two scenes and what the blue spotlight means in each of them. Essentially, what is the difference between the Artie in the Prologue and the Artie at the play's end? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
The climax of The House of Blue Leaves was discussed in a classroom lecture. Develop a thesis about the climax and why it is this play's climax. Why is this moment the point of all rising action? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams appear numerous times in The House of Blue Leaves, either from Artie or Bananas. Discuss some of these two characters' dreams and why they are in the play. What is their significance? What do they reveal about the characters to the audience? Are they necessary to the play's narrative? Cite specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)