|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Artie rescued Bananas from the rooftop in the middle of winter, what does he say happened to their relationship?
2. When Bunny rushes into the room after Artie and Bananas pray, what is she excited about?
3. What does the character on stage at the beginning of the play shout offstage for?
4. What idea does Artie's roughness with Bananas reinforce?
5. What is foreshadowed in the Prologue that will happen to Artie towards the end of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bunny doing when we first see her in Act I, Part I?
2. Why does Artie grumble about the Pope's passing through Queens?
3. Why is the Pope addressing the United Nations?
4. What is Ronnie dressed in when we first see him in Act I, Part I?
5. What does Artie do in the Prologue that all of the other characters will also do?
6. How does Act I, Part II end?
7. What is noted in the Prologue that will happen with Artie's dreams?
8. Why do the nuns and Ronnie rush to Corrinna when she announces she has two tickets to see the Pope at Yankee Stadium?
9. What does the audience learn about in Act II, Scene I, Part I that links all of the characters together in the play?
10. After learning of Corrinna's death, why does Billy not want to return to California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The end of The House of Blue Leaves is characterized by new beginnings. The characters involved in the final scene experience new beginnings that are mostly positive. Artie is the only character that does not, although he is the one character who yearned for it the most. Discuss the final scene, what these new beginnings are, what they mean, and why Artie is the only one who is left alone in a well constructed thesis paper. Use information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of Billy's reasoning that the audience is the most important part to a performance? What point is Guare making with this subtle injection? Is this true? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The climax of The House of Blue Leaves was discussed in a classroom lecture. Develop a thesis about the climax and why it is this play's climax. Why is this moment the point of all rising action? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
This section contains 1,776 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)