|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who looks out of the bedroom at Artie and Bunny while they are talking?
2. What does Artie say happened to him after he rescued Bananas from a rooftop in the middle of winter?
3. What does the character on stage at the beginning of the play shout offstage for?
4. How many functions does the Prologue in The House of Blue Leaves foreshadow throughout the play?
5. To what country does Bunny hand Bananas guide books for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are all of the characters acting so desperately by the end of Act II, Scene I, Part II?
2. What does Bananas' dream about wandering around the house and crying illustrate for the audience?
3. Where is Ronnie at the opening of Act II, Scene I, Part I?
4. Why does Artie angrily close the piano lid on top of Bananas' fingers?
5. Why is the Pope addressing the United Nations?
6. Why do the nuns and Ronnie rush to Corrinna when she announces she has two tickets to see the Pope at Yankee Stadium?
7. Is Artie a sympathetic character?
8. What does Ronnie explain to the audience that he did when Billy came over to the apartment?
9. Describe what Artie is doing in the play's Prologue.
10. After learning of Corrinna's death, why does Billy not want to return to California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Artie sets the precedent in the Prologue for talking directly to the audience, which the rest of the characters do throughout the play. Nontraditional in plays until The House of Blue Leaves, discuss the significance of breaking the fourth wall and its significance to this play. Without this tactic, would the play be the same? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Aside from being shown as a spotlight, the color blue is utilized at other moments in the play, revealing its true meaning is relation to the characters. How does the color blue unite Bananas and Artie? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Bananas and Artie clearly have a dysfunctional relationship. Artie goes through a range of emotions pertaining to Bananas throughout the play before eventually strangling her at the end. Analyze the couple's relationship through a chronological standpoint, assessing the significance of their relationship in the play. Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)