|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bunny call Artie's songs in order to cheer him up?
2. When Bananas emerges from the bedroom, what does her conversation with Artie reveal about Artie?
3. What does the character on stage at the beginning of the play gather up before exiting the stage?
4. To what country does Bunny hand Bananas guide books for?
5. When is the title of the play mentioned during Act I, Part II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bunny convince Artie to call his friend Billy in California?
2. What does the color blue mean for the characters in the play?
3. Bananas asks Billy to stay with her in the apartment, but what does Billy suggest instead?
4. What sign of gentleness toward Bananas does Artie have in Act I, Part II?
5. Why are all of the characters acting so desperately by the end of Act II, Scene I, Part II?
6. What does Bananas attempt to do in order to alienate Bunny from everyone?
7. What does Ronnie do with Artie's alarm clock?
8. Why does Artie grumble about the Pope's passing through Queens?
9. Why does Artie angrily close the piano lid on top of Bananas' fingers?
10. What does Artie do in the Prologue that all of the other characters will also do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Artie sets the precedent in the Prologue for talking directly to the audience, which the rest of the characters do throughout the play. Nontraditional in plays until The House of Blue Leaves, discuss the significance of breaking the fourth wall and its significance to this play. Without this tactic, would the play be the same? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
All of the characters in The House of Blue Leaves are connected by the desire to be acknowledged. Write a paper based on this point and connect each of the characters, showing their similarities and the basic human element that causes them to desire acknowledgment. Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
The climax of The House of Blue Leaves was discussed in a classroom lecture. Develop a thesis about the climax and why it is this play's climax. Why is this moment the point of all rising action? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)