Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bananas ask Artie about her dream at the end of Act I, Part I?
2. What is the character doing at the opening of the play?
3. Who does Artie address while he is talking about the Pope?
4. When does the play begin?
5. When Bunny rushes into the room after Artie and Bananas pray, what is she excited about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bunny get Billy to ask her to come to Australia with him?
2. What does the audience learn about the Prologue in Act I, Scene I?
3. How is the truth about what the color blue means revealed in Act I, Part II?
4. What does "breaking the fourth wall" and speaking to the audience achieve?
5. How does Bunny convince Artie to call his friend Billy in California?
6. What is Ronnie's bomb a symbol for?
7. What does Artie shout offstage for?
8. Why do the nuns and Ronnie rush to Corrinna when she announces she has two tickets to see the Pope at Yankee Stadium?
9. What does the Prologue do?
10. Why does Artie grumble about the Pope's passing through Queens?
Essay Topic 1
Dreams appear numerous times in The House of Blue Leaves, either from Artie or Bananas. Discuss some of these two characters' dreams and why they are in the play. What is their significance? What do they reveal about the characters to the audience? Are they necessary to the play's narrative? Cite specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Ronnie's character in The House of Blue Leaves is neither prominent nor fully understood. Aside from Act II, Scene I, Part I, his voice is not heard; therefore his thoughts are not known. However, much can be deduced from the few times we see Ronnie. In a thesis driven paper, discuss Ronnie's character and his significance to the play. Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Write a position paper on whether or not you believe Artie Shaughnessy is a sympathetic character. Be definitive in your response and support your thesis with examples and quotes from the play.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)