|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Artie address while he is talking about the Pope?
2. By the end of Act I, Part II, how does Artie act in terms of Bananas?
3. What does Artie do so that Bananas can see the Pope?
4. When Artie rescued Bananas from the rooftop in the middle of winter, what does he say happened to their relationship?
5. When is the title of the play mentioned during Act I, Part II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Corrinna die by the end of Act II, Scene I, Part II?
2. How does Bunny get Billy to ask her to come to Australia with him?
3. Billy explains to Artie that it is better when he imagines Artie in the audience than for Artie to actually be there. Is this reasonable?
4. Bananas asks Billy to stay with her in the apartment, but what does Billy suggest instead?
5. What does the audience learn about the Prologue in Act I, Scene I?
6. What is Ronnie dressed in when we first see him in Act I, Part I?
7. What does Ronnie explain to the audience that he did when Billy came over to the apartment?
8. What does Bananas' story about being on the snowy rooftop foreshadow?
9. Does Artie intend to kill Bananas at the end of the play?
10. What does the color blue function as in the Prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the final scene of The House of Blue Leaves, the Little Nun describes an orchard being a metaphor for life. What is the significance of this is relation to the rest of the characters and the play? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Bananas and Artie clearly have a dysfunctional relationship. Artie goes through a range of emotions pertaining to Bananas throughout the play before eventually strangling her at the end. Analyze the couple's relationship through a chronological standpoint, assessing the significance of their relationship in the play. Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Write a compare and contrast paper between Artie and Bananas. Although Bananas is outwardly mentally unstable, the audience notices the subtleties of Artie's madness as the play progresses. One character's instability is external, while the other character's instability is internal. Use specific examples and quotes from the text to show this.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)