|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bunny give to Artie before he leaves so that it can be blessed by the Pope?
2. By the end of Act I, Part II, how does Artie act in terms of Bananas?
3. Ronnie's appearance at the end of Act I, Part II is an example of what?
4. When Ronnie emerges from his room after everyone leaves, what is he carrying?
5. What does Artie ask Bananas to do that he thinks could heal her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Corrinna say to the audience when she arrives in Act II, Scene I, Part II?
2. What is Bunny doing when we first see her in Act I, Part I?
3. Does Artie intend to kill Bananas at the end of the play?
4. What does "breaking the fourth wall" and speaking to the audience achieve?
5. What does Artie shout offstage for?
6. After learning of Corrinna's death, why does Billy not want to return to California?
7. Is Artie a sympathetic character?
8. What does the color blue function as in the Prologue?
9. Describe what Artie is doing in the play's Prologue.
10. What does the color blue mean for the characters in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1In class discussions, the literary style of farce was discussed. Farce is evident throughout the play, heightening in certain scenes. Based on what you have learned about farce, construct a thesis discussion farce within The House of Blue Leaves, what it is, why it is used in this play, and how it functions within the play. Use examples and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2Write a position paper on whether or not you believe Artie Shaughnessy is a sympathetic character. Be definitive in your response and support your thesis with examples and quotes from the play.
Essay Topic 3The end of The House of Blue Leaves is characterized by new beginnings. The characters involved in the final scene experience new beginnings that are mostly positive. Artie is the only character that does not, although he is the one character who yearned for it the most. Discuss the final scene, what these new beginnings are, what they mean, and why Artie is the only one who is left alone in a well constructed thesis paper. Use information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)