Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bananas ask Artie about her dream at the end of Act I, Part I?
2. What is the character doing at the opening of the play?
3. Who does Artie address while he is talking about the Pope?
4. When does the play begin?
5. When Bunny rushes into the room after Artie and Bananas pray, what is she excited about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bunny get Billy to ask her to come to Australia with him?
2. What does the audience learn about the Prologue in Act I, Scene I?
3. How is the truth about what the color blue means revealed in Act I, Part II?
4. What does "breaking the fourth wall" and speaking to the audience achieve?
5. How does Bunny convince Artie to call his friend Billy in California?
6. What is Ronnie's bomb a symbol for?
7. What does Artie shout offstage for?
8. Why do the nuns and Ronnie rush to Corrinna when she announces she has two tickets to see the Pope at Yankee Stadium?
9. What does the Prologue do?
10. Why does Artie grumble about the Pope's passing through Queens?
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of Billy's reasoning that the audience is the most important part to a performance? What point is Guare making with this subtle injection? Is this true? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are several recurring symbols throughout The House of Blue Leaves. Pick one and discuss it at length: what it means, where it is seen and why, its meanings within the play's context, why this symbol works, and how it furthers the play's narrative and meaning. Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
The climax of The House of Blue Leaves was discussed in a classroom lecture. Develop a thesis about the climax and why it is this play's climax. Why is this moment the point of all rising action? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)