|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bunny claim that Billy could help Artie find work as a composer?
2. When Artie rescued Bananas from the rooftop in the middle of winter, what does he say happened to their relationship?
3. What does Artie do so that Bananas can see the Pope?
4. What does Artie tell Bananas that he and Bunny are going to do?
5. What is Artie eager for that he expresses to the audience in the beginning of The House of Blue Leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Artie is doing in the play's Prologue.
2. What does the color blue mean for the characters in the play?
3. What does Ronnie do with Artie's alarm clock?
4. Why does Artie grumble about the Pope's passing through Queens?
5. What is another significant symbol introduced in Act I, Scene I?
6. What sign of gentleness toward Bananas does Artie have in Act I, Part II?
7. How does the blue spotlight characterize Artie in the Prologue?
8. What is Bunny doing when we first see her in Act I, Part I?
9. After learning of Corrinna's death, why does Billy not want to return to California?
10. How does Bunny convince Artie to call his friend Billy in California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ronnie's character in The House of Blue Leaves is neither prominent nor fully understood. Aside from Act II, Scene I, Part I, his voice is not heard; therefore his thoughts are not known. However, much can be deduced from the few times we see Ronnie. In a thesis driven paper, discuss Ronnie's character and his significance to the play. Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
There are several recurring symbols throughout The House of Blue Leaves. Pick one and discuss it at length: what it means, where it is seen and why, its meanings within the play's context, why this symbol works, and how it furthers the play's narrative and meaning. Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the Pope such a significant, but unseen character in The House of Blue Leaves? What does he symbolize and why are these characters chasing after him? What do they ultimately want? Construct a thesis driven paper using specific information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)