Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bananas ask Artie about her dream at the end of Act I, Part I?
2. What is the character doing at the opening of the play?
3. Who does Artie address while he is talking about the Pope?
4. When does the play begin?
5. When Bunny rushes into the room after Artie and Bananas pray, what is she excited about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bunny get Billy to ask her to come to Australia with him?
2. What does the audience learn about the Prologue in Act I, Scene I?
3. How is the truth about what the color blue means revealed in Act I, Part II?
4. What does "breaking the fourth wall" and speaking to the audience achieve?
5. How does Bunny convince Artie to call his friend Billy in California?
6. What is Ronnie's bomb a symbol for?
7. What does Artie shout offstage for?
8. Why do the nuns and Ronnie rush to Corrinna when she announces she has two tickets to see the Pope at Yankee Stadium?
9. What does the Prologue do?
10. Why does Artie grumble about the Pope's passing through Queens?
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of Billy's reasoning that the audience is the most important part to a performance? What point is Guare making with this subtle injection? Is this true? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Act I, Part I, the audience learns that the Vietnam War is the context for the play. The Pope is going to New York to speak to the UN about the war. Artie has a son that is in Vietnam. Using information from the class discussion on the play's context, discuss in a thesis driven paper the significance of the war going on during the play. How does the war, taking place away from the play's action, still affect the play and its characters? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Write a position paper on whether or not you believe Artie Shaughnessy is a sympathetic character. Be definitive in your response and support your thesis with examples and quotes from the play.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)