|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the character on stage at the beginning of the play shout offstage for?
2. What kind of character is Artie?
3. What is the second song Artie improvises in Act I, Part II about?
4. What does the character on stage at the beginning of the play gather up before exiting the stage?
5. When Artie rescued Bananas from the rooftop in the middle of winter, what does he say happened to their relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bunny tell the audience was the best part of the war movie Corrinna was in?
2. After Artie tells Bananas about a house he found on the East Coast that she can live in, what is Bananas scared of?
3. After learning of Corrinna's death, why does Billy not want to return to California?
4. Does Artie intend to kill Bananas at the end of the play?
5. What does Bananas' dream about wandering around the house and crying illustrate for the audience?
6. Why are all of the characters acting so desperately by the end of Act II, Scene I, Part II?
7. How is the truth about what the color blue means revealed in Act I, Part II?
8. Why does Bunny say that until Artie met her, he was afraid of life?
9. How does Bunny get Billy to ask her to come to Australia with him?
10. What does Ronnie explain to the audience that he did when Billy came over to the apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a compare and contrast paper between Artie and Bananas. Although Bananas is outwardly mentally unstable, the audience notices the subtleties of Artie's madness as the play progresses. One character's instability is external, while the other character's instability is internal. Use specific examples and quotes from the text to show this.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of Billy's reasoning that the audience is the most important part to a performance? What point is Guare making with this subtle injection? Is this true? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write a position paper on whether or not you believe Artie Shaughnessy is a sympathetic character. Be definitive in your response and support your thesis with examples and quotes from the play.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)