|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of character is Artie?
2. To what country does Bunny hand Bananas guide books for?
3. What does the audience become after the Prologue of The House of Blue Leaves?
4. What is the character doing at the opening of the play?
5. What is insinuated that Artie will attempt to do as the play unfolds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ronnie believe about all of the people he has encountered in his life?
2. What is the story the Three Nuns tell Artie when he lets them into his apartment?
3. What does Artie comment to the audience at the beginning of Act II, Scene I, Part II regarding Bunny and Bananas?
4. What is Ronnie's bomb a symbol for?
5. When Artie steps into the spotlight at the end of the play, what does he sing about?
6. What is Ronnie dressed in when we first see him in Act I, Part I?
7. Is Artie eager for success? If so, how can you tell?
8. Is Artie a sympathetic character?
9. What does Bananas' story about being on the snowy rooftop foreshadow?
10. Why does Artie angrily close the piano lid on top of Bananas' fingers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the final scene of The House of Blue Leaves, the Little Nun describes an orchard being a metaphor for life. What is the significance of this is relation to the rest of the characters and the play? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
The end of The House of Blue Leaves is characterized by new beginnings. The characters involved in the final scene experience new beginnings that are mostly positive. Artie is the only character that does not, although he is the one character who yearned for it the most. Discuss the final scene, what these new beginnings are, what they mean, and why Artie is the only one who is left alone in a well constructed thesis paper. Use information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write a position paper on whether or not you believe Artie Shaughnessy is a sympathetic character. Be definitive in your response and support your thesis with examples and quotes from the play.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)