|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bunny give to Artie before he leaves so that it can be blessed by the Pope?
2. Where does Bunny go when Artie asks her to leave?
3. What does Artie tell Bananas that he and Bunny are going to do?
4. Artie attempts to show the audience his talent in the beginning of The House of Blue Leaves, at what level of talent is he?
5. What does Artie claim about himself that he believes is preventing him from having his big break in show biz?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Artie claim he gave up on Bananas and her sanity?
2. Is Bunny happy about the offer to go to Australia with Billy?
3. Describe what Artie is doing in the play's Prologue.
4. After learning of Corrinna's death, why does Billy not want to return to California?
5. What does the audience learn about in Act II, Scene I, Part I that links all of the characters together in the play?
6. What does Artie comment to the audience at the beginning of Act II, Scene I, Part II regarding Bunny and Bananas?
7. What is Ronnie's bomb a symbol for?
8. What sign of gentleness toward Bananas does Artie have in Act I, Part II?
9. How does the blue spotlight characterize Artie in the Prologue?
10. What act does Ronnie's desire to use the bomb foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams appear numerous times in The House of Blue Leaves, either from Artie or Bananas. Discuss some of these two characters' dreams and why they are in the play. What is their significance? What do they reveal about the characters to the audience? Are they necessary to the play's narrative? Cite specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Artie sets the precedent in the Prologue for talking directly to the audience, which the rest of the characters do throughout the play. Nontraditional in plays until The House of Blue Leaves, discuss the significance of breaking the fourth wall and its significance to this play. Without this tactic, would the play be the same? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write a compare and contrast paper between Artie and Bananas. Although Bananas is outwardly mentally unstable, the audience notices the subtleties of Artie's madness as the play progresses. One character's instability is external, while the other character's instability is internal. Use specific examples and quotes from the text to show this.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)