|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Artie tell Billy he met Bunny for the first time?
2. What does Ronnie do at the center of the stage at the end of Act I, Part II?
3. What does the audience become after the Prologue of The House of Blue Leaves?
4. When Artie tells Bunny that the audience talked through his entire set at the club the previous evening, what is he referring to?
5. Where does Artie tell Bananas that he and Bunny are moving to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the audience learn about the Prologue in Act I, Scene I?
2. How does Bunny convince Artie to call his friend Billy in California?
3. Why does Artie grumble about the Pope's passing through Queens?
4. In his story, Ronnie explains that Billy came to Queens; what was Billy doing?
5. What does Bunny reveal that she wishes to happen when she first introduces herself to the audience?
6. Why is the Pope addressing the United Nations?
7. Why do the nuns and Ronnie rush to Corrinna when she announces she has two tickets to see the Pope at Yankee Stadium?
8. What is the story the Three Nuns tell Artie when he lets them into his apartment?
9. How does the blue spotlight characterize Artie in the Prologue?
10. How does Act I, Part II end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Artie sets the precedent in the Prologue for talking directly to the audience, which the rest of the characters do throughout the play. Nontraditional in plays until The House of Blue Leaves, discuss the significance of breaking the fourth wall and its significance to this play. Without this tactic, would the play be the same? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The climax of The House of Blue Leaves was discussed in a classroom lecture. Develop a thesis about the climax and why it is this play's climax. Why is this moment the point of all rising action? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams appear numerous times in The House of Blue Leaves, either from Artie or Bananas. Discuss some of these two characters' dreams and why they are in the play. What is their significance? What do they reveal about the characters to the audience? Are they necessary to the play's narrative? Cite specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,741 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)