|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Artie agrees to see the Pope with Bunny on one condition. What is that condition?
2. What does Artie suggest Bananas do in order to make her prayers come true?
3. When Artie rescued Bananas from the rooftop in the middle of winter, what does he say happened to their relationship?
4. When does the play begin?
5. What does Bunny claim that Artie was afraid of until he met her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Pope addressing the United Nations?
2. What is Bunny doing when we first see her in Act I, Part I?
3. Why does Artie angrily close the piano lid on top of Bananas' fingers?
4. Why does Bunny say that until Artie met her, he was afraid of life?
5. What is the condition Artie gives Bunny if she wants him to accompany her to see the Pope?
6. Describe what Artie is doing in the play's Prologue.
7. In his story, Ronnie explains that Billy came to Queens; what was Billy doing?
8. How is the truth about what the color blue means revealed in Act I, Part II?
9. How does Act I, Part II end?
10. What does Bananas' story about being on the snowy rooftop foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Artie sets the precedent in the Prologue for talking directly to the audience, which the rest of the characters do throughout the play. Nontraditional in plays until The House of Blue Leaves, discuss the significance of breaking the fourth wall and its significance to this play. Without this tactic, would the play be the same? Use specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Dreams appear numerous times in The House of Blue Leaves, either from Artie or Bananas. Discuss some of these two characters' dreams and why they are in the play. What is their significance? What do they reveal about the characters to the audience? Are they necessary to the play's narrative? Cite specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of Billy's reasoning that the audience is the most important part to a performance? What point is Guare making with this subtle injection? Is this true? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)