|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ronnie's appearance at the end of Act I, Part II is an example of what?
2. What is the reason Bananas gives for not being able to see the Pope?
3. When Bananas emerges from the bedroom, what does her conversation with Artie reveal about Bananas?
4. Why does Bananas tell Artie not to be disrespectful at the beginning of Act I, Part II?
5. Who, according to Bunny at the beginning of Act I, is Pope Paul on his way to see as he drives through Queens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the blue spotlight characterize Artie in the Prologue?
2. What does Bunny tell the audience was the best part of the war movie Corrinna was in?
3. Is Artie eager for success? If so, how can you tell?
4. Describe what Artie is doing in the play's Prologue.
5. What does the color blue function as in the Prologue?
6. What is the condition Artie gives Bunny if she wants him to accompany her to see the Pope?
7. Why does Bunny give Bananas guide books to Mexico?
8. Why do the nuns and Ronnie rush to Corrinna when she announces she has two tickets to see the Pope at Yankee Stadium?
9. What does Artie do in the Prologue that all of the other characters will also do?
10. After learning of Corrinna's death, why does Billy not want to return to California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several recurring symbols throughout The House of Blue Leaves. Pick one and discuss it at length: what it means, where it is seen and why, its meanings within the play's context, why this symbol works, and how it furthers the play's narrative and meaning. Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
The blue spotlight is shown at two times during the play: the Prologue and the final scene. They both shine on Artie when he is alone and singing; however the two scenes are significantly different in their tone and and meaning. Write a thesis driven paper that gets at the heart of the difference between these two scenes and what the blue spotlight means in each of them. Essentially, what is the difference between the Artie in the Prologue and the Artie at the play's end? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams appear numerous times in The House of Blue Leaves, either from Artie or Bananas. Discuss some of these two characters' dreams and why they are in the play. What is their significance? What do they reveal about the characters to the audience? Are they necessary to the play's narrative? Cite specific information and quotes from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,754 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)