|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bunny claim that Artie was afraid of until he met her?
2. When Ronnie emerges from his room after everyone leaves, what is he carrying?
3. How does the symbolic color introduced in the Prologue represent the characters in the play?
4. What does Ronnie do at the center of the stage at the end of Act I, Part II?
5. Why does Bunny claim that Billy could help Artie find work as a composer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Artie a sympathetic character?
2. What does Artie shout offstage for?
3. What is Bunny doing when we first see her in Act I, Part I?
4. Why do the nuns and Ronnie rush to Corrinna when she announces she has two tickets to see the Pope at Yankee Stadium?
5. When Artie steps into the spotlight at the end of the play, what does he sing about?
6. Bananas asks Billy to stay with her in the apartment, but what does Billy suggest instead?
7. Why is the Pope addressing the United Nations?
8. After learning of Corrinna's death, why does Billy not want to return to California?
9. Why does Artie grumble about the Pope's passing through Queens?
10. What does Bananas' dream about wandering around the house and crying illustrate for the audience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several recurring symbols throughout The House of Blue Leaves. Pick one and discuss it at length: what it means, where it is seen and why, its meanings within the play's context, why this symbol works, and how it furthers the play's narrative and meaning. Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the Pope such a significant, but unseen character in The House of Blue Leaves? What does he symbolize and why are these characters chasing after him? What do they ultimately want? Construct a thesis driven paper using specific information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of Billy's reasoning that the audience is the most important part to a performance? What point is Guare making with this subtle injection? Is this true? Use specific information and quotes from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)