|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea does Artie's roughness with Bananas reinforce?
(a) He is in opposition to the war.
(b) The intolerance toward mental illness.
(c) He is a man on the edge.
(d) The increase of domestic violence.
2. What do Artie and Bunny argue over when she brings up their friend Billy in California?
(a) Who is closer to Billy.
(b) Who will pay for the tickets.
(c) If they should stay with Billy or in a hotel.
(d) Where Bananas will go.
3. What is Artie's last name?
4. What is the purpose of the Prologue in The House of Blue Leaves?
(a) To introduce Artie.
(b) To quiet the audience.
(c) To alert the audience to their seats.
(d) To serenade the audience.
5. Why does the character on stage request something from offstage at the beginning of the play?
(a) It was promised.
(b) It will make the audience laugh.
(c) It will fill up space.
(d) It is necessary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bunny accuse Artie of having no sense of at the beginning of Act I?
2. What does Bunny want Bananas to do if she were to move to the country in the guide books?
3. What is the symbolic colorization introduced in the Prologue of the play a result of?
4. What is foreshadowed in the Prologue that will happen to Artie towards the end of the play?
5. Why is Bunny angry with Artie at the end of Act I, Part II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Artie do in the Prologue that all of the other characters will also do?
2. How does Act I, Part II end?
3. Why is the Pope addressing the United Nations?
4. What does "breaking the fourth wall" and speaking to the audience achieve?
5. What does Artie comment to the audience at the beginning of Act II, Scene I, Part II regarding Bunny and Bananas?
6. Why does Corrinna ask the nuns to pray for her?
7. What act does Ronnie's desire to use the bomb foreshadow?
8. What does Artie's casual cruelty toward Bananas signify?
9. Billy explains to Artie that it is better when he imagines Artie in the audience than for Artie to actually be there. Is this reasonable?
10. What makes Act II, Scene I, Part II farcical?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)