|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Artie tell Bananas that he and Bunny are moving to?
2. What will be taken away from Artie in the final moments of the play?
(a) His money.
(b) His desire.
(c) His dreams.
(d) His love.
3. Why does the character on stage request something from offstage at the beginning of the play?
(a) It was promised.
(b) It will make the audience laugh.
(c) It is necessary.
(d) It will fill up space.
4. When Ronnie emerges from his room after everyone leaves, what is he carrying?
(a) His rifle.
(b) Bananas' medication.
(c) A large box.
(d) His childhood pictures.
5. What is the symbolic colorization introduced in the Prologue of the play a result of?
(a) Losing grip on reality.
(b) Committing a crime.
(c) Becoming depressed.
(d) Lack of love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does Artie's roughness with Bananas reinforce?
2. What does the audience become after the Prologue of The House of Blue Leaves?
3. Who is the author of The House of Blue Leaves?
4. Ronnie's appearance at the end of Act I, Part II is an example of what?
5. What does Artie tell Bananas that he and Bunny are going to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the audience learn about the Prologue in Act I, Scene I?
2. Why do the nuns and Ronnie rush to Corrinna when she announces she has two tickets to see the Pope at Yankee Stadium?
3. How does Bunny get Billy to ask her to come to Australia with him?
4. What does "breaking the fourth wall" and speaking to the audience achieve?
5. What does the audience learn about in Act II, Scene I, Part I that links all of the characters together in the play?
6. What does Artie's casual cruelty toward Bananas signify?
7. Why are all of the characters acting so desperately by the end of Act II, Scene I, Part II?
8. After Artie tells Bananas about a house he found on the East Coast that she can live in, what is Bananas scared of?
9. What dream does Artie tell Bananas about in Act I, Scene I?
10. What does Bananas' story about being on the snowy rooftop foreshadow?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)