|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of the play will Artie's attempt to reach his goals affect?
(a) The romance.
(b) The action.
(c) The comedy.
(d) The fear.
2. What does the character on stage at the beginning of the play repeatedly try to get the audience to do?
(a) Pay attention.
(b) Stand up.
(c) Sing along.
(d) Clap their hands.
3. What is the purpose of the Prologue in The House of Blue Leaves?
(a) To discuss the outline of the play.
(b) To quiet the audience.
(c) Background noise as the audience finds their seats.
(d) Foreshadows the play's action.
4. What is the reason Bananas gives for not being able to see the Pope?
(a) She and the Pope had an affair.
(b) Her nails are different lengths.
(c) The devil follows her around.
(d) She thinks religion is a hoax.
5. What idea does Artie's roughness with Bananas reinforce?
(a) The intolerance toward mental illness.
(b) He is a man on the edge.
(c) The increase of domestic violence.
(d) He is in opposition to the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the character on stage request something from offstage at the beginning of the play?
2. What does Bananas ask Artie about her dream at the end of Act I, Part I?
3. What thematic aspect of the play will Artie's characteristics effect as the piece progresses?
4. When is the title of the play mentioned during Act I, Part II?
5. When Artie rescued Bananas from the rooftop in the middle of winter, what does he say happened to their relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is another significant symbol introduced in Act I, Scene I?
2. Does Artie intend to kill Bananas at the end of the play?
3. Why does Bunny give Bananas guide books to Mexico?
4. What does the color blue function as in the Prologue?
5. What does the color blue mean for the characters in the play?
6. What does Ronnie believe about all of the people he has encountered in his life?
7. What does Corrinna say to the audience when she arrives in Act II, Scene I, Part II?
8. What is Ronnie's bomb a symbol for?
9. What does Artie do in the Prologue that all of the other characters will also do?
10. Why does Corrinna ask the nuns to pray for her?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)