|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bananas ask Artie about her dream at the end of Act I, Part I?
(a) If he has the same dream.
(b) If she will stop having the dream.
(c) If her dream is real.
(d) If she can get more medication.
2. What does Artie do in response to Bananas' reasoning for not seeing the Pope?
(a) Slaps her.
(b) Yells at her.
(c) Puts her to bed.
(d) Gives her more pills.
3. What do Artie and Bunny argue over when she brings up their friend Billy in California?
(a) Who will pay for the tickets.
(b) Where Bananas will go.
(c) If they should stay with Billy or in a hotel.
(d) Who is closer to Billy.
4. Why does the character on stage request something from offstage at the beginning of the play?
(a) It is necessary.
(b) It will fill up space.
(c) It was promised.
(d) It will make the audience laugh.
5. Who is the author of The House of Blue Leaves?
(a) John Le Carre.
(b) John Guare.
(c) John Steinbeck.
(d) John McGahern.
6. What does Artie explain that the Pope is going to address while he is in Queens?
(a) The poverty in America.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) The dissolution of marriages.
(d) The crime in Queens.
7. What does the Prologue in The House of Blue Leaves reveal about Artie?
(a) He is a songwriter.
(b) He is a dancer.
(c) He is a talent scout.
(d) He is a director.
8. What is Ronnie dressed in when he enters Artie's apartment at the beginning of Act I?
(a) Doctor's coat.
(b) Army fatigues.
(c) Police uniform.
(d) Priest's robe.
9. When Bananas emerges from the bedroom after praying, what does she say she is ready to do?
(a) Go out.
(b) Fix her marriage.
(c) Get help.
(d) Move to a new house.
10. What does Artie say happened to him after he rescued Bananas from a rooftop in the middle of winter?
(a) He caught pneumonia.
(b) His fingers became arthritic.
(c) He lost his voice.
(d) He broke his leg.
11. Why does Bananas tell Artie not to be disrespectful at the beginning of Act I, Part II?
(a) He improvises a song about the Pope.
(b) He scorns the Vietnam War.
(c) He makes fun of her.
(d) He says he loves Bunny.
12. Where does Bunny go when Artie asks her to leave?
(a) The bedroom.
(b) The car.
(c) The store.
(d) The kitchen.
13. What will be taken away from Artie in the final moments of the play?
(a) His love.
(b) His money.
(c) His desire.
(d) His dreams.
14. Why does Bunny claim that Billy could help Artie find work as a composer?
(a) Billy knows a lot of recording artists.
(b) Billy is a talent agent.
(c) Billy is a record label executive.
(d) Billy is an accomplished director.
15. What does Bananas say they can take down if Artie is not going to kill himself after all?
(a) The bars on the windows.
(b) The knives from the high shelves.
(c) Locks on the cabinets.
(d) Posters of great songwriters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first character that the audience sees?
2. What is the character doing at the opening of the play?
3. What does Artie tell Bananas that he and Bunny are going to do?
4. What does Artie force down Bananas' throat in order to calm her down?
5. In the dream Artie explains to Bananas, what do both he and the Pope do to her?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)