|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Artie do so that Bananas can see the Pope?
(a) Opens the windows.
(b) Gives her a stuffed animal and calls it the Pope.
(c) Turns on the television.
(d) Forces her into the car.
2. What will all of the characters do throughout the play that Artie does in the Prologue?
(a) Play an instrument.
(b) Be alone on stage.
(c) Speak to the audience.
(d) Have a spotlight.
3. Who is the first character that the audience sees?
4. Who does Artie address while he is talking about the Pope?
(a) The audience.
5. Where does Artie tell Billy he met Bunny for the first time?
(a) A sauna.
(b) A movie.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A club.
6. What is the reason Bananas gives for not being able to see the Pope?
(a) Her nails are different lengths.
(b) The devil follows her around.
(c) She and the Pope had an affair.
(d) She thinks religion is a hoax.
7. What does the character on stage at the beginning of the play gather up before exiting the stage?
(a) Music and bows.
(d) Posters and markers.
8. In the dream Artie explains to Bananas, what do both he and the Pope do to her?
(a) Hurts her.
(b) Rejects her.
(c) Abandons her.
(d) Insults her.
9. What thematic aspect of the play will Artie's characteristics effect as the piece progresses?
(a) Dramatic action.
(c) Comedic action.
10. What is insinuated that Artie will attempt to do as the play unfolds?
(a) Turn his fantasies into reality.
(b) Leave his town.
(c) Kill his enemy.
(d) Find his love.
11. What does Artie do in the Prologue of The House of Blue Leaves that is a convention of plays first introduced here?
(a) Requests items from offstage.
(b) Talks to himself.
(c) Speaks directly to the audience.
(d) Leaves the stage.
12. To what country does Bunny hand Bananas guide books for?
13. What is the symbolic colorization utilized in the Prologue supposed to be a result of for Artie?
(a) His deep depression.
(b) His guilt over doing wrong.
(c) His longing for company.
(d) His delusions.
14. Why does Bunny claim that Billy could help Artie find work as a composer?
(a) Billy is a record label executive.
(b) Billy knows a lot of recording artists.
(c) Billy is an accomplished director.
(d) Billy is a talent agent.
15. Who looks out of the bedroom at Artie and Bunny while they are talking?
(b) Pope Paul.
(d) A military intelligence officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the character on stage at the beginning of the play repeatedly try to get the audience to do?
2. What does Artie ask Bananas to do that he thinks could heal her?
3. What does Bunny claim that Artie was afraid of until he met her?
4. What does Artie explain that the Pope is going to address while he is in Queens?
5. What does Artie say happened to him after he rescued Bananas from a rooftop in the middle of winter?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)