|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What could the Pope be a symbol of for Artie and the rest of the characters as the play progresses?
2. What does Bunny claim that Artie was afraid of until he met her?
3. What does Artie force down Bananas' throat in order to calm her down?
(d) Her inhaler.
4. What does Bunny stuff into her boots in order to keep her feet warm?
(d) Steamed towels.
5. What does Bunny accuse Artie of having no sense of at the beginning of Act I?
6. What does Artie do in the Prologue of The House of Blue Leaves that is a convention of plays first introduced here?
(a) Talks to himself.
(b) Speaks directly to the audience.
(c) Leaves the stage.
(d) Requests items from offstage.
7. When Bunny rushes into the room after Artie and Bananas pray, what is she excited about?
(a) Their move to California.
(b) Artie's getting a job in California.
(c) The Pope's landing.
(d) She will become a famous movie star.
8. When Bananas emerges from the bedroom after praying, what does she say she is ready to do?
(a) Go out.
(b) Move to a new house.
(c) Fix her marriage.
(d) Get help.
9. What does the audience become after the Prologue of The House of Blue Leaves?
10. What do Artie and Bunny argue over when she brings up their friend Billy in California?
(a) Who is closer to Billy.
(b) Who will pay for the tickets.
(c) Where Bananas will go.
(d) If they should stay with Billy or in a hotel.
11. What does Ronnie do at the center of the stage at the end of Act I, Part II?
(a) Laughs at the audience.
(b) Stares at the audience.
(c) Ignores the audience.
(d) Yells at the audience.
12. What is the second song Artie improvises in Act I, Part II about?
(b) The Pope blessing him.
(c) Being famous.
(d) Being rich.
13. How does the symbolic color introduced in the Prologue represent the characters in the play?
(a) As being angry.
(b) As being imprisoned.
(c) As being unstable.
(d) As being sad.
14. What does Artie do in response to Bananas' reasoning for not seeing the Pope?
(a) Gives her more pills.
(b) Yells at her.
(c) Slaps her.
(d) Puts her to bed.
15. Who could Bananas' dream be a foreshadowing of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the character doing at the opening of the play?
2. What is Bananas doing in the dream she explains to Artie that she frequently has?
3. What does Artie suggest Bananas do in order to make her prayers come true?
4. When is the title of the play mentioned during Act I, Part II?
5. How is the symbolic colorization in the Prologue physically represented on stage?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)