|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bananas pretend to be when Artie fixes her breakfast?
(b) The Queen of England.
(c) An animal at the zoo.
(d) The Pope.
2. What does the character on stage at the beginning of the play gather up before exiting the stage?
(c) Music and bows.
(d) Posters and markers.
3. When Bananas emerges from the bedroom, what does her conversation with Artie reveal about Artie?
(a) He works at the zoo.
(b) He is a cheater.
(c) He is mentally unstable.
(d) He is a terrible musician.
4. What does Artie do in response to Bananas' reasoning for not seeing the Pope?
(a) Yells at her.
(b) Gives her more pills.
(c) Puts her to bed.
(d) Slaps her.
5. When Artie rescued Bananas from the rooftop in the middle of winter, what does he say happened to their relationship?
(a) He started to love her again.
(b) He got her help.
(c) He gave up on her.
(d) He took care of her.
6. What is the purpose of the Prologue in The House of Blue Leaves?
(a) To introduce Artie.
(b) To alert the audience to their seats.
(c) To quiet the audience.
(d) To serenade the audience.
7. What color is symbolically introduced in the Prologue of The House of Blue Leaves?
8. What is the purpose of the Prologue in The House of Blue Leaves?
(a) To quiet the audience.
(b) Background noise as the audience finds their seats.
(c) To discuss the outline of the play.
(d) Foreshadows the play's action.
9. What kind of character is Artie?
(c) Comedic relief.
10. What does Artie suggest Bananas do in order to make her prayers come true?
(a) Write a letter to the Pope.
(b) Reconnect with relatives.
(c) Move out on her own.
(d) Kiss the Pope's hem on TV.
11. How does the symbolic color introduced in the Prologue represent the characters in the play?
(a) As being unstable.
(b) As being imprisoned.
(c) As being angry.
(d) As being sad.
12. Who could Bananas' dream be a foreshadowing of?
13. By the end of Act I, Part II, how does Artie act in terms of Bananas?
14. Where is Artie's apartment located in New York?
(b) Long Island.
15. Why does the character on stage request something from offstage at the beginning of the play?
(a) It was promised.
(b) It will make the audience laugh.
(c) It is necessary.
(d) It will fill up space.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will be revealed about Artie over time as the play progresses?
2. What could the Pope be a symbol of for Artie and the rest of the characters as the play progresses?
3. What does Bunny promise to do for Artie when they reach California?
4. What does Artie say happened to him after he rescued Bananas from a rooftop in the middle of winter?
5. What does Bunny want Bananas to do if she were to move to the country in the guide books?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)