|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Artie suggest Bananas do in order to make her prayers come true?
(a) Move out on her own.
(b) Kiss the Pope's hem on TV.
(c) Reconnect with relatives.
(d) Write a letter to the Pope.
2. What will be revealed about Artie over time as the play progresses?
(a) His dreams.
(b) His fears.
(c) His love.
(d) His passions.
3. What does Bananas throw at Artie and Bunny after Artie gets off the phone with Billy?
(b) Her shoes.
4. What does Artie do in response to Bananas' reasoning for not seeing the Pope?
(a) Gives her more pills.
(b) Puts her to bed.
(c) Yells at her.
(d) Slaps her.
5. What is Bananas doing in the dream she explains to Artie that she frequently has?
(a) She walks hand in hand with Artie.
(b) She flees the house.
(c) She cries all day.
(d) She kills Bunny.
6. What idea does Artie's roughness with Bananas reinforce?
(a) He is in opposition to the war.
(b) The intolerance toward mental illness.
(c) The increase of domestic violence.
(d) He is a man on the edge.
7. What does the Prologue in The House of Blue Leaves reveal about Artie?
(a) He is a songwriter.
(b) He is a director.
(c) He is a talent scout.
(d) He is a dancer.
8. Who is the author of The House of Blue Leaves?
(a) John Guare.
(b) John Steinbeck.
(c) John Le Carre.
(d) John McGahern.
9. What is Artie's last name?
10. When Bananas emerges from the bedroom after praying, what does she say she is ready to do?
(a) Fix her marriage.
(b) Move to a new house.
(c) Go out.
(d) Get help.
11. What does the character on stage at the beginning of the play repeatedly try to get the audience to do?
(a) Stand up.
(b) Pay attention.
(c) Clap their hands.
(d) Sing along.
12. What is foreshadowed in the Prologue that will happen to Artie towards the end of the play?
(a) He will achieve his goals.
(b) He will lose the love of his life.
(c) He will commit a serious crime.
(d) He will descend into madness.
13. What does Artie claim about himself that he believes is preventing him from having his big break in show biz?
(a) His age.
(b) His anger.
(c) His low income.
(d) His depresion.
14. How is the symbolic colorization in the Prologue physically represented on stage?
(a) A strobe light.
(b) A jacket.
15. Where is Artie's apartment located in New York?
(c) Long Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the character doing at the opening of the play?
2. What is the symbolic colorization utilized in the Prologue supposed to be a result of for Artie?
3. Why is Bunny angry with Artie at the end of Act I, Part II?
4. What does the audience become after the Prologue of The House of Blue Leaves?
5. How does the symbolic color introduced in the Prologue represent the characters in the play?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)