|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bananas explains a dream she has to Artie and what she does in that dream. What is the reason for this?
(a) A chemical inbalance in her brain.
(b) The lack of love Artie shows her.
(c) The way her life turned out.
(d) Her simpleness.
2. What does the character on stage at the beginning of the play repeatedly try to get the audience to do?
(a) Clap their hands.
(b) Sing along.
(c) Stand up.
(d) Pay attention.
3. What does Bunny accuse Artie of having no sense of at the beginning of Act I?
4. Why does Bananas tell Artie not to be disrespectful at the beginning of Act I, Part II?
(a) He scorns the Vietnam War.
(b) He says he loves Bunny.
(c) He improvises a song about the Pope.
(d) He makes fun of her.
5. What does Artie do in the Prologue of The House of Blue Leaves that is a convention of plays first introduced here?
(a) Requests items from offstage.
(b) Speaks directly to the audience.
(c) Leaves the stage.
(d) Talks to himself.
6. What will all of the characters do throughout the play that Artie does in the Prologue?
(a) Speak to the audience.
(b) Have a spotlight.
(c) Be alone on stage.
(d) Play an instrument.
7. What is the symbolic colorization utilized in the Prologue supposed to be a result of for Artie?
(a) His longing for company.
(b) His delusions.
(c) His deep depression.
(d) His guilt over doing wrong.
8. What does Artie say happened to him after he rescued Bananas from a rooftop in the middle of winter?
(a) He lost his voice.
(b) His fingers became arthritic.
(c) He broke his leg.
(d) He caught pneumonia.
9. What is Bananas doing in the dream she explains to Artie that she frequently has?
(a) She flees the house.
(b) She cries all day.
(c) She kills Bunny.
(d) She walks hand in hand with Artie.
10. What does Bunny promise to do for Artie when they reach California?
(a) Cook meals for him.
(b) Sing for him.
(c) Help him write his songs.
(d) Give him massages.
11. By the end of Act I, Part II, how does Artie act in terms of Bananas?
12. Who is the author of The House of Blue Leaves?
(a) John Steinbeck.
(b) John Le Carre.
(c) John McGahern.
(d) John Guare.
13. Who looks out of the bedroom at Artie and Bunny while they are talking?
(a) A military intelligence officer.
(c) Pope Paul.
14. Ronnie's appearance at the end of Act I, Part II is an example of what?
(c) Climactic action.
(d) Comedic relief.
15. What color is symbolically introduced in the Prologue of The House of Blue Leaves?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Artie do so that Bananas can see the Pope?
2. When does the play begin?
3. What is the character doing at the opening of the play?
4. Where does Artie tell Bananas that he and Bunny are moving to?
5. What does Bananas' dream represent about reality and delusion?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)