|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, according to Bunny at the beginning of Act I, is Pope Paul on his way to see as he drives through Queens?
(a) Homeless people.
(b) NYU students.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The United Nations.
2. What will be taken away from Artie in the final moments of the play?
(a) His money.
(b) His desire.
(c) His dreams.
(d) His love.
3. What does Artie force down Bananas' throat in order to calm her down?
(d) Her inhaler.
4. What does the Prologue in The House of Blue Leaves reveal about Artie?
(a) He is a director.
(b) He is a songwriter.
(c) He is a dancer.
(d) He is a talent scout.
5. Who is the author of The House of Blue Leaves?
(a) John Steinbeck.
(b) John Guare.
(c) John Le Carre.
(d) John McGahern.
6. What is the reason Bananas gives for not being able to see the Pope?
(a) She and the Pope had an affair.
(b) Her nails are different lengths.
(c) The devil follows her around.
(d) She thinks religion is a hoax.
7. When Bananas emerges from the bedroom, what does her conversation with Artie reveal about Bananas?
(a) She is a teacher.
(b) She is a bad cook.
(c) She is mentally unstable.
(d) She hates Artie.
8. What could the Pope be a symbol of for Artie and the rest of the characters as the play progresses?
9. When is the title of the play mentioned during Act I, Part II?
(a) When Bunny suggests that they stay with Billy in California.
(b) When Artie describes the house Bananas can live at.
(c) When Bananas says the bars can be taken from the windows.
(d) When Artie sees that Bananas has a chance of getting better.
10. Artie agrees to see the Pope with Bunny on one condition. What is that condition?
(a) She spend the night with him.
(b) She sing for him.
(c) She gives him some money.
(d) She cook for him.
11. Why is Bunny angry with Artie at the end of Act I, Part II?
(a) He wants to help Bananas one last time.
(b) He still loves Bananas.
(c) He will not see the Pope.
(d) He wants to stay in Queens.
12. What does Artie do in the Prologue of The House of Blue Leaves that is a convention of plays first introduced here?
(a) Speaks directly to the audience.
(b) Talks to himself.
(c) Leaves the stage.
(d) Requests items from offstage.
13. What does Ronnie do at the center of the stage at the end of Act I, Part II?
(a) Yells at the audience.
(b) Ignores the audience.
(c) Laughs at the audience.
(d) Stares at the audience.
14. What does Bunny call Artie's songs in order to cheer him up?
(b) Works of art.
15. When Bananas emerges from the bedroom, what does her conversation with Artie reveal about Artie?
(a) He is a terrible musician.
(b) He works at the zoo.
(c) He is mentally unstable.
(d) He is a cheater.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bunny rushes into the room after Artie and Bananas pray, what is she excited about?
2. What does Bananas' dream represent about reality and delusion?
3. What aspect of the play will Artie's attempt to reach his goals affect?
4. What does Bunny wish to happen when the Pope passes by?
5. What does the character on stage at the beginning of the play shout offstage for?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)