|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "I could see the ____ coming, but I didn't know it would break so soon."
2. What is the name of Bernarda's friend who joins them for dinner in Act 3, Part 1?
3. What does Poncia reveal that a woman from the village had done in Act 2, Part 3?
4. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "If the villagers want to make ____ accusations they will find I am hard as rock."
5. What does Bernarda say Angustias must do right away when talking to Poncia at the beginning of Act 2, Part 3?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of freedom in the play. What does freedom seem to represent to the characters in the play, namely Adela and Maria Josefa? What is hindering these characters from finding true freedom? What might the author be saying about the price freedom costs?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, one common theme is the dominant role men have in the play. Part 1.) How are men portrayed as the dominant sex in the play? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the importance for women to have men in their lives based on the portrayal of men in the play? Part 3.) What might the author be saying about the society of the people of the play based on this depiction of men?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of sex in the play. What is the author saying about the importance and danger that come with sex? What does sex represent to the daughters in the play?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)