|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bernarda see that Adela has done when she bursts into her room in Act 3, Part 2?
2. What type of stones does Angustias' engagement ring have on it?
3. Who does Maria Josefa say is going to destroy all of the family in Act 3, Part 2?
4. What do the reapers sing a song about offstage regarding women?
5. What does Angustias say she is worried Pepe has on his mind in Act 3, Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the entire play, the central theme is the use and manipulation of control. Part 1.) What reasons does Bernarda have for wanting such control over her daughters in the play? Part 2.) What might the author hope for such control to be representative of in terms of explaining the nature of the play's characters? Part 3.) What might the author want control to represent regarding the fate of the daughters in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of reputation in the play. What reasons does Bernarda have for paying so much attention to her daughters' reputations? What is telling of Bernarda based on her reaction to her daughters' reputation being in danger?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the author's treatment of men and women. In what way does Bernarda try to alter these views of men and women? What do men possess in the play that women are unable to achieve? What might the author be saying about gender based on these portrayals?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)