|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maria Josefa say is going to destroy all of the family in Act 3, Part 2?
2. What does Martirio tell Adela she will do before she lets her have Pepe?
3. What does Amelia says is the worst possible thing that can happen?
4. How many days do we learn that Pepe's family will be coming for Angustias in Act 3, Part 1?
5. Complete the sentence by Maria Josefa in the play, "This child will have white hair, and there will be another child and another and they will all have snow-white hair, and we will be like the _____ of the sea."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of authority in the play. What might the author be saying about Bernarda based on her portrayal as the authoritative figure in the play? What about Bernarda's authority is flawed? What is telling of the role of authority based on these flaws?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, many characters, primarily Bernarda, show a great deal of violence towards the other characters. Part 1.) What motivations might Bernarda have for exhibiting such violence against her family members and servants in the play? Part 2.) What might the author hope for the violence in the play to be representative of? Part 3.) How might Bernarda be using her violence to gain control of in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's setting up the exposition and background of the characters in the first act of the play. What is significant about using the servants to convey information about the play's characters? What reason does the author have for giving so much information about the characters so quickly?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)