|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maria Josefa say is going to destroy all of the family in Act 3, Part 2?
2. What does a bell ringing summon the men to in Act 2, Part 2?
3. What does Poncia wonder about Martirio regarding Pepe's picture?
4. What does Poncia reveal that a woman from the village had done in Act 2, Part 3?
5. What does Martirio tell Adela she will do before she lets her have Pepe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of freedom in the play. What does freedom seem to represent to the characters in the play, namely Adela and Maria Josefa? What is hindering these characters from finding true freedom? What might the author be saying about the price freedom costs?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Bernarda and Maria Josefa in the play. In what way has Maria Josefa tried to escape the ploys of Bernarda? In what way has Bernarda tried to mother others as Maria Josefa might have in the past?
Essay Topic 3
One of the topics in the play is the daughters' desire to be married. Part 1.) What reasons do the daughters have for their opinions on marriage in the play? Part 2.) What reasons does Bernarda have for not wanting her daughters to ever be married? Part 3.) What role might marriage play in the actions of the daughters in the play?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)