|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Adela warn Bernarda to not listen to because she is lying in Act 2, Part 3?
2. Who does Adela try to apologize to in Act 3, Part 2?
3. What does Bernarda say she is going to watch more closely in Act 2, Part 3?
4. Where does Angustias say she lost her picture of Pepe?
5. Which of the women does not go out to watch the reapers from an upstairs window?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of hope in the play. What role does hope play in the lives of Bernarda's daughters? What might happen if the daughters' hope is taken away from them?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, one of the most common expressions of emotion comes in the form of jealousy. Part 1.) What seems to be the driving force for most of the jealousy in the play? Part 2.) In what way does the jealousy exhibited between the sisters in the play differ from typical sibling rivalry? Part 3.) What is missing in the play's characters' lives that hint at the reason for such jealousy?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Bernarda and Maria Josefa in the play. In what way has Maria Josefa tried to escape the ploys of Bernarda? In what way has Bernarda tried to mother others as Maria Josefa might have in the past?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)