|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete the sentence by Martirio in the play, "I couldn't care less what happens above the _________."
2. What do the Servant and Poncia say all of Bernarda's daughters are that would cause their blood ties to be forgotten?
3. What does Bernarda say she will not allow to happen to the house her father built?
4. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "If the villagers want to make ____ accusations they will find I am hard as rock."
5. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "I could see the ____ coming, but I didn't know it would break so soon."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of morality in the play. What lengths does Bernarda go through to ensure her family's morality is kept intact? What reasons does the author have for presenting morality in such a way in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, one of the most common expressions of emotion comes in the form of jealousy. Part 1.) What seems to be the driving force for most of the jealousy in the play? Part 2.) In what way does the jealousy exhibited between the sisters in the play differ from typical sibling rivalry? Part 3.) What is missing in the play's characters' lives that hint at the reason for such jealousy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's portrayal of social class in the play. What might the author be saying by showing Bernarda's insistence that her family has a higher social class than the other villagers? What might the author want social class to represent in the play?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)