|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does Bernarda say to Poncia that it wouldn't matter if something bad were happening in their house because no one would find out?
2. Complete the sentence by Prudencia in the play, "What's important is that everything works out for the _______."
3. Which of the women do not come into the room just as Adela is saying she belongs to Pepe?
4. What does Bernarda rush to get after Adela says she belongs to Pepe?
5. Complete the sentence by Martirio in the play, "I couldn't care less what happens above the _________."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's setting up the exposition and background of the characters in the first act of the play. What is significant about using the servants to convey information about the play's characters? What reason does the author have for giving so much information about the characters so quickly?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, one of the most common expressions of emotion comes in the form of jealousy. Part 1.) What seems to be the driving force for most of the jealousy in the play? Part 2.) In what way does the jealousy exhibited between the sisters in the play differ from typical sibling rivalry? Part 3.) What is missing in the play's characters' lives that hint at the reason for such jealousy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of hope in the play. What role does hope play in the lives of Bernarda's daughters? What might happen if the daughters' hope is taken away from them?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)