|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bernarda comment that she's being made to drink in Act 2, Part 2?
2. What does Adela grab and break in two in Act 3, Part 2?
3. What does Bernarda say Angustias must do right away when talking to Poncia at the beginning of Act 2, Part 3?
4. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "I know you well enough to know your reach to stick the _______ in."
5. What does Poncia wonder about Martirio regarding Pepe's picture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of social class in the play. What might the author be saying by showing Bernarda's insistence that her family has a higher social class than the other villagers? What might the author want social class to represent in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, many characters, primarily Bernarda, show a great deal of violence towards the other characters. Part 1.) What motivations might Bernarda have for exhibiting such violence against her family members and servants in the play? Part 2.) What might the author hope for the violence in the play to be representative of? Part 3.) How might Bernarda be using her violence to gain control of in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's setting up the exposition and background of the characters in the first act of the play. What is significant about using the servants to convey information about the play's characters? What reason does the author have for giving so much information about the characters so quickly?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)