|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria Josefa carry into the room in Act 3, Part 2?
2. Complete the sentence by Amelia in the play, "It's not as if Pepe was a _______ Saint Bartholomew."
3. What does Bernarda insist that Adela died as?
4. Who does Maria Josefa say is going to destroy all of the family in Act 3, Part 2?
5. Who tells Adela that they will go with her when she gets up to leave the dinner table in Act 3, Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character Bernarda is perhaps one of the most complex and intriguing presences in the play. Part 1.) What is the nature of Bernarda? Part 2.) What seems to be Bernarda's motivations for enacting such control over the people in her life? Part 3.) What trials might Bernarda be dealing with to account for her being so tyrannical over those living in her household.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of social class in the play. What might the author be saying by showing Bernarda's insistence that her family has a higher social class than the other villagers? What might the author want social class to represent in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of hope in the play. What role does hope play in the lives of Bernarda's daughters? What might happen if the daughters' hope is taken away from them?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)