|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "If the villagers want to make ____ accusations they will find I am hard as rock."
2. What do the Servant and Poncia say Bernarda is being as they clean up in Act 3, Part 2?
3. What does Bernarda insist that Adela died as?
4. What does Adela grab and break in two in Act 3, Part 2?
5. What does Adela say is beautiful in Act 3, Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of propriety that is represented in the play. What reasons does Bernarda have for insisting on keeping up such ancient traditions in her family? What might the author be saying about Bernarda based on her treatment of propriety in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of sex in the play. What is the author saying about the importance and danger that come with sex? What does sex represent to the daughters in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Bernarda and Maria Josefa in the play. In what way has Maria Josefa tried to escape the ploys of Bernarda? In what way has Bernarda tried to mother others as Maria Josefa might have in the past?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)