|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete the sentence by Adela in the play, "He will ____ this whole house, he's out there, panting like a lion."
2. What does Adela say she wants to do regarding the things she finds beautiful in Act 3, Part 1?
3. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "May you be cut to _______, you little good-for-nothing."
4. Who does Poncia tell Bernarda that Pepe truly loves?
5. What do Adela, Martirio, and Amelia come back into the room commenting on in Act 3, Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of authority in the play. What might the author be saying about Bernarda based on her portrayal as the authoritative figure in the play? What about Bernarda's authority is flawed? What is telling of the role of authority based on these flaws?
Essay Topic 2
The character Bernarda is perhaps one of the most complex and intriguing presences in the play. Part 1.) What is the nature of Bernarda? Part 2.) What seems to be Bernarda's motivations for enacting such control over the people in her life? Part 3.) What trials might Bernarda be dealing with to account for her being so tyrannical over those living in her household.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, one of the most common expressions of emotion comes in the form of jealousy. Part 1.) What seems to be the driving force for most of the jealousy in the play? Part 2.) In what way does the jealousy exhibited between the sisters in the play differ from typical sibling rivalry? Part 3.) What is missing in the play's characters' lives that hint at the reason for such jealousy?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)