|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does the Servant bring in about something happening at the top of the street from the house?
2. What does Adela do before shouting that the woman at the top of the hill should be freed?
3. Who does Poncia tell Bernarda that Pepe truly loves?
4. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "I could see the ____ coming, but I didn't know it would break so soon."
5. What does Bernarda insist that Adela died as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, one of the most common expressions of emotion comes in the form of jealousy. Part 1.) What seems to be the driving force for most of the jealousy in the play? Part 2.) In what way does the jealousy exhibited between the sisters in the play differ from typical sibling rivalry? Part 3.) What is missing in the play's characters' lives that hint at the reason for such jealousy?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of reputation in the play. What reasons does Bernarda have for paying so much attention to her daughters' reputations? What is telling of Bernarda based on her reaction to her daughters' reputation being in danger?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's portrayal of morality in the play. What lengths does Bernarda go through to ensure her family's morality is kept intact? What reasons does the author have for presenting morality in such a way in the play?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)