|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the women do not come into the room just as Adela is saying she belongs to Pepe?
2. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "If the villagers want to make ____ accusations they will find I am hard as rock."
3. Complete the sentence by Prudencia in the play, "What's important is that everything works out for the _______."
4. Who does Maria Josefa say is going to destroy all of the family in Act 3, Part 2?
5. What does a bell ringing summon the men to in Act 2, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's setting up the exposition and background of the characters in the first act of the play. What is significant about using the servants to convey information about the play's characters? What reason does the author have for giving so much information about the characters so quickly?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the family house in the play. What might the author be hoping for the house to represent in terms of freedom and imprisonment in the play? What role does the house play in the fate of those living in it?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, one common theme is the dominant role men have in the play. Part 1.) How are men portrayed as the dominant sex in the play? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the importance for women to have men in their lives based on the portrayal of men in the play? Part 3.) What might the author be saying about the society of the people of the play based on this depiction of men?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)