|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "Place a burning coal where her _____ lies."
2. What are the people of the village doing to the woman at the top of the hill in Act 2, Part 3?
3. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "May you be cut to _______, you little good-for-nothing."
4. Complete the sentence by Amelia in the play, "It's not as if Pepe was a _______ Saint Bartholomew."
5. What do the men in the fields have that the women would love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of propriety that is represented in the play. What reasons does Bernarda have for insisting on keeping up such ancient traditions in her family? What might the author be saying about Bernarda based on her treatment of propriety in the play?
Essay Topic 2
One of the topics in the play is the daughters' desire to be married. Part 1.) What reasons do the daughters have for their opinions on marriage in the play? Part 2.) What reasons does Bernarda have for not wanting her daughters to ever be married? Part 3.) What role might marriage play in the actions of the daughters in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of beauty in the play. Does beauty represent the normal attributes normally given to it in the play? What does beauty represent to the characters in the play? What reason does the author have for skewing the traditional aspects of beauty in the play?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)