|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does Poncia tell Bernarda that Pepe was at their house the night before?
2. Where does Angustias say she lost her picture of Pepe?
3. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "And if she doesn't forget it, the ____ it will be for her."
4. Who does Angustias accuse of stealing her picture of Pepe?
5. Who does Maria Josefa say is going to destroy all of the family in Act 3, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of morality in the play. What lengths does Bernarda go through to ensure her family's morality is kept intact? What reasons does the author have for presenting morality in such a way in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of authority in the play. What might the author be saying about Bernarda based on her portrayal as the authoritative figure in the play? What about Bernarda's authority is flawed? What is telling of the role of authority based on these flaws?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, one of the most common expressions of emotion comes in the form of jealousy. Part 1.) What seems to be the driving force for most of the jealousy in the play? Part 2.) In what way does the jealousy exhibited between the sisters in the play differ from typical sibling rivalry? Part 3.) What is missing in the play's characters' lives that hint at the reason for such jealousy?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)