|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes in the room and accuses Poncia of lying about Pepe in Act 2, Part 3?
2. What do the reapers sing a song about offstage regarding women?
3. What news does the Servant bring in about something happening at the top of the street from the house?
4. What does Prudencia go to join in after hearing the bells ring at the church?
5. Complete the sentence by Prudencia in the play, "What's important is that everything works out for the _______."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the topics in the play is the daughters' desire to be married. Part 1.) What reasons do the daughters have for their opinions on marriage in the play? Part 2.) What reasons does Bernarda have for not wanting her daughters to ever be married? Part 3.) What role might marriage play in the actions of the daughters in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, many characters, primarily Bernarda, show a great deal of violence towards the other characters. Part 1.) What motivations might Bernarda have for exhibiting such violence against her family members and servants in the play? Part 2.) What might the author hope for the violence in the play to be representative of? Part 3.) How might Bernarda be using her violence to gain control of in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of reputation in the play. What reasons does Bernarda have for paying so much attention to her daughters' reputations? What is telling of Bernarda based on her reaction to her daughters' reputation being in danger?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)