|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amelia says is the worst possible thing that can happen?
2. What does Bernarda say she will not allow to happen to the house her father built?
3. What does Martirio shout should happen to the woman at the top of the hill?
4. What does Adela says she needs to do when she gets up from the dinner table in Act 3, Part 1?
5. In whose room is Pepe's picture found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the author's treatment of men and women. In what way does Bernarda try to alter these views of men and women? What do men possess in the play that women are unable to achieve? What might the author be saying about gender based on these portrayals?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of propriety that is represented in the play. What reasons does Bernarda have for insisting on keeping up such ancient traditions in her family? What might the author be saying about Bernarda based on her treatment of propriety in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Bernarda and Maria Josefa in the play. In what way has Maria Josefa tried to escape the ploys of Bernarda? In what way has Bernarda tried to mother others as Maria Josefa might have in the past?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)