|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martirio shout should happen to the woman at the top of the hill?
2. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "Place a burning coal where her _____ lies."
3. What does Poncia warn Bernarda that she can't keep her eye on in Act 3, Part 2?
4. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "May you be cut to _______, you little good-for-nothing."
5. What do the reapers sing a song about offstage regarding women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of morality in the play. What lengths does Bernarda go through to ensure her family's morality is kept intact? What reasons does the author have for presenting morality in such a way in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Bernarda and Maria Josefa in the play. In what way has Maria Josefa tried to escape the ploys of Bernarda? In what way has Bernarda tried to mother others as Maria Josefa might have in the past?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the family house in the play. What might the author be hoping for the house to represent in terms of freedom and imprisonment in the play? What role does the house play in the fate of those living in it?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)