Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Bernarda give Angustias to wipe off her makeup?
2. How does Poncia say she saw Adela sitting at her window the night before in Act 2, Part 1?
3. Complete the sentence by Poncia in the play, "Cling to that ______, and forget him."
4. What does Adela say she is going into the village wearing the next day after the funeral?
5. What does Poncia say men find soon after becoming married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adela say about mourning in Act 1, Part 3?
2. What is the nature of Poncia and Bernarda's conversation regarding taking drinks to the men on the patio?
3. How is Adela's appearance described when she returns from the corral in Act 3, Part 2?
4. Why does Bernarda tell Poncia that she didn't allow Martirio to marry the man who was courting her?
5. What does Bernarda say she will be doing after her daughters argue about what time Pepe has been leaving their house?
6. What happens to Martirio when she is caught with Pepe's picture?
7. What does Adela complain to Poncia about Martirio in Act 2, Part 1?
8. What is the nature of Maria Josefa's interaction with a lamb in the play?
9. What reason does a Beggar Woman come to Bernarda's house?
10. Why does Angustias run into the room angrily in Act 2, Part 2?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, one common theme is the dominant role men have in the play. Part 1.) How are men portrayed as the dominant sex in the play? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the importance for women to have men in their lives based on the portrayal of men in the play? Part 3.) What might the author be saying about the society of the people of the play based on this depiction of men?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of freedom in the play. What does freedom seem to represent to the characters in the play, namely Adela and Maria Josefa? What is hindering these characters from finding true freedom? What might the author be saying about the price freedom costs?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of hope in the play. What role does hope play in the lives of Bernarda's daughters? What might happen if the daughters' hope is taken away from them?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)