|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the bells announce the last of in the day in Act 1, Part 1?
2. Who does the servant tell Bernarda was looking at the men on the patio?
3. How many daughters does Bernarda have?
4. What noise is heard at the beginning of Act 1, Part 1?
5. Who suggests that Adela give her dress to Angustias when she is married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Magdalena say about a man named Pepe in regards to Angustias?
2. What reason does Bernarda give to explain why Martirio had possession of Pepe's picture?
3. Why is a large crowd gathering near Bernarda's house that the daughters watch in Act 2, Part 3?
4. What does Bernarda do to make the Servant cry at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
5. What is the nature of the song the reapers sing while in the field?
6. What is the nature of Poncia and Bernarda's conversation regarding taking drinks to the men on the patio?
7. In what way do the Servants' attitude change once Bernarda returns from her husband's funeral?
8. How does Angustias say Pepe proposed to her?
9. How is Angustias' engagement ring described?
10. What happens when Bernarda tells Angustias to wipe off her makeup?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of sex in the play. What is the author saying about the importance and danger that come with sex? What does sex represent to the daughters in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of hope in the play. What role does hope play in the lives of Bernarda's daughters? What might happen if the daughters' hope is taken away from them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's setting up the exposition and background of the characters in the first act of the play. What is significant about using the servants to convey information about the play's characters? What reason does the author have for giving so much information about the characters so quickly?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)