|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bernarda tell the servants to take her mother so she cannot be seen by the villagers?
2. What does Martirio say is one of the few good things she has left in her life?
3. During Bernarda's conversation with the mourners, what does she tell her daughters not to do?
4. How does Angustias describe her proposal from Pepe?
5. Where does Poncia go to listen to the last prayers of the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Poncia say women must deal with after they are married?
2. What does Poncia tell Bernarda that Angustias overheard from the men on the porch?
3. What reason does Bernarda give to explain why Martirio had possession of Pepe's picture?
4. Why does Bernarda tell Poncia that she didn't allow Martirio to marry the man who was courting her?
5. How is Adela's appearance described when she returns from the corral in Act 3, Part 2?
6. What does Bernarda do to make the Servant cry at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
7. What is the nature of Adela's discussion with Martirio about being Pepe's mistress?
8. How does Poncia say women without men act even with family?
9. How is Angustias' engagement ring described?
10. What does Magdalena suggest to Adela about Pepe in Act 1, Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, one of the most common expressions of emotion comes in the form of jealousy. Part 1.) What seems to be the driving force for most of the jealousy in the play? Part 2.) In what way does the jealousy exhibited between the sisters in the play differ from typical sibling rivalry? Part 3.) What is missing in the play's characters' lives that hint at the reason for such jealousy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of social class in the play. What might the author be saying by showing Bernarda's insistence that her family has a higher social class than the other villagers? What might the author want social class to represent in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of hope in the play. What role does hope play in the lives of Bernarda's daughters? What might happen if the daughters' hope is taken away from them?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)