Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Bernarda give Angustias to wipe off her makeup?
2. How does Poncia say she saw Adela sitting at her window the night before in Act 2, Part 1?
3. Complete the sentence by Poncia in the play, "Cling to that ______, and forget him."
4. What does Adela say she is going into the village wearing the next day after the funeral?
5. What does Poncia say men find soon after becoming married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adela say about mourning in Act 1, Part 3?
2. What is the nature of Poncia and Bernarda's conversation regarding taking drinks to the men on the patio?
3. How is Adela's appearance described when she returns from the corral in Act 3, Part 2?
4. Why does Bernarda tell Poncia that she didn't allow Martirio to marry the man who was courting her?
5. What does Bernarda say she will be doing after her daughters argue about what time Pepe has been leaving their house?
6. What happens to Martirio when she is caught with Pepe's picture?
7. What does Adela complain to Poncia about Martirio in Act 2, Part 1?
8. What is the nature of Maria Josefa's interaction with a lamb in the play?
9. What reason does a Beggar Woman come to Bernarda's house?
10. Why does Angustias run into the room angrily in Act 2, Part 2?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of propriety that is represented in the play. What reasons does Bernarda have for insisting on keeping up such ancient traditions in her family? What might the author be saying about Bernarda based on her treatment of propriety in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the family house in the play. What might the author be hoping for the house to represent in terms of freedom and imprisonment in the play? What role does the house play in the fate of those living in it?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of sex in the play. What is the author saying about the importance and danger that come with sex? What does sex represent to the daughters in the play?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)