|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poncia come in with as the women mourners go out in Act 1, Part 2?
2. What do Martirio and Amelia show Adela that is for Angustias in Act 2, Part 1?
3. At what time does Poncia reveal she was up and saw Pepe talking with Angustias at her window?
4. What does Bernarda suggest her daughters can do with their hope chests during their time of mourning?
5. What time did Poncia say she actually heard Pepe leave the house in Act 2, Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bernarda do to make the Servant cry at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
2. What does Adela complain to Poncia about Martirio in Act 2, Part 1?
3. What does Poncia say women must deal with after they are married?
4. What does Poncia warn Bernarda about keeping a constant watch on her daughters at the beginning of Act 3, Part 2?
5. What is the nature of Maria Josefa's interaction with a lamb in the play?
6. What do the sisters say they wish for when watching the reapers in the field?
7. What does Magdalena say about a man named Pepe in regards to Angustias?
8. How does Angustias react when Bernarda tells her to patch things up with Martirio?
9. Why is a large crowd gathering near Bernarda's house that the daughters watch in Act 2, Part 3?
10. How does the Servant respond to the Beggar Woman who visits Bernarda's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's setting up the exposition and background of the characters in the first act of the play. What is significant about using the servants to convey information about the play's characters? What reason does the author have for giving so much information about the characters so quickly?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the family house in the play. What might the author be hoping for the house to represent in terms of freedom and imprisonment in the play? What role does the house play in the fate of those living in it?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of reputation in the play. What reasons does Bernarda have for paying so much attention to her daughters' reputations? What is telling of Bernarda based on her reaction to her daughters' reputation being in danger?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)