|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does Poncia say she has worked for Bernarda?
2. Who is said to be locked up in another room of the house in Act 1, Part 1?
3. What does Adela give Bernarda that she throws to the side?
4. What is the name of the daughter who talks about a young woman the family used to know that was sociable but isn't allowed anywhere now?
5. Complete the sentence spoken by Bernarda in the play, "But they forget them when you put a plate of ______ in front of them".
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Poncia warn Bernarda about keeping a constant watch on her daughters at the beginning of Act 3, Part 2?
2. What does Martirio say about a man she once liked in Act 1, Part 3?
3. What does Magdalena suggest to Adela about Pepe in Act 1, Part 3?
4. How does Bernarda's daughters react to her suggestion about what they should do during their eight years of mourning?
5. What does Adela say about the stars in Act 3, Part 1?
6. How does Poncia suggest they could use the lace?
7. What do the sisters say they wish for when watching the reapers in the field?
8. How is Angustias' engagement ring described?
9. What does Bernarda say must happen right away when talking to Poncia at the beginning of Act 2, Part 3?
10. Why does Poncia say the men on the patio gave her money in Act 1, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character Bernarda is perhaps one of the most complex and intriguing presences in the play. Part 1.) What is the nature of Bernarda? Part 2.) What seems to be Bernarda's motivations for enacting such control over the people in her life? Part 3.) What trials might Bernarda be dealing with to account for her being so tyrannical over those living in her household.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of reputation in the play. What reasons does Bernarda have for paying so much attention to her daughters' reputations? What is telling of Bernarda based on her reaction to her daughters' reputation being in danger?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's setting up the exposition and background of the characters in the first act of the play. What is significant about using the servants to convey information about the play's characters? What reason does the author have for giving so much information about the characters so quickly?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)