|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Amelia, Magdalena, Martirio, and Angustias talk about at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
2. Who is said to be locked up in another room of the house in Act 1, Part 1?
3. Complete the sentence by Amelia in the play, "_________ is to blame, it makes life impossible".
4. Who has just died at the beginning of the play?
5. What does the Servant run out doing at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Poncia see when up at 1:30 in the morning?
2. How is Angustias' engagement ring described?
3. What is the nature of Maria Josefa's interaction with a lamb in the play?
4. How does Poncia suggest they could use the lace?
5. How is Bernarda's mother described the first time she is seen in the play?
6. In what way does Bernarda tell Poncia to have the men leave and why in Act 1, Part 2?
7. What does Poncia do to Adela's bedroom door at the end of the play?
8. What is the nature of the song the reapers sing while in the field?
9. What does Magdalena suggest to Adela about Pepe in Act 1, Part 3?
10. How does Bernarda's daughters react to her suggestion about what they should do during their eight years of mourning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of beauty in the play. Does beauty represent the normal attributes normally given to it in the play? What does beauty represent to the characters in the play? What reason does the author have for skewing the traditional aspects of beauty in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Bernarda and Maria Josefa in the play. In what way has Maria Josefa tried to escape the ploys of Bernarda? In what way has Bernarda tried to mother others as Maria Josefa might have in the past?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of authority in the play. What might the author be saying about Bernarda based on her portrayal as the authoritative figure in the play? What about Bernarda's authority is flawed? What is telling of the role of authority based on these flaws?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)