Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Bernarda give Angustias to wipe off her makeup?
2. How does Poncia say she saw Adela sitting at her window the night before in Act 2, Part 1?
3. Complete the sentence by Poncia in the play, "Cling to that ______, and forget him."
4. What does Adela say she is going into the village wearing the next day after the funeral?
5. What does Poncia say men find soon after becoming married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adela say about mourning in Act 1, Part 3?
2. What is the nature of Poncia and Bernarda's conversation regarding taking drinks to the men on the patio?
3. How is Adela's appearance described when she returns from the corral in Act 3, Part 2?
4. Why does Bernarda tell Poncia that she didn't allow Martirio to marry the man who was courting her?
5. What does Bernarda say she will be doing after her daughters argue about what time Pepe has been leaving their house?
6. What happens to Martirio when she is caught with Pepe's picture?
7. What does Adela complain to Poncia about Martirio in Act 2, Part 1?
8. What is the nature of Maria Josefa's interaction with a lamb in the play?
9. What reason does a Beggar Woman come to Bernarda's house?
10. Why does Angustias run into the room angrily in Act 2, Part 2?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of hope in the play. What role does hope play in the lives of Bernarda's daughters? What might happen if the daughters' hope is taken away from them?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Bernarda and Maria Josefa in the play. In what way has Maria Josefa tried to escape the ploys of Bernarda? In what way has Bernarda tried to mother others as Maria Josefa might have in the past?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of reputation in the play. What reasons does Bernarda have for paying so much attention to her daughters' reputations? What is telling of Bernarda based on her reaction to her daughters' reputation being in danger?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)