|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the daughters says the real reason a young woman cannot leave her house is because she is afraid of Bernarda?
2. What is the name of Bernarda's daughter who stops crying after the women go out in Act 1, Part 2?
3. What words do the two servants use to describe Bernarda before she returns home in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Sad and melancholy.
(b) Happy and cheerful.
(c) Tyrannical and demanding.
4. Complete the sentence by Poncia in the play, "Cling to that ______, and forget him."
5. What does Bernarda tell her daughters that she will do as long as she's alive in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) Be married.
(b) Run the house.
(c) Have children.
(d) Have her fun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete this sentence spoken by the Servant in the play, "Floors, cupboards, pedestals, iron bed frames polished with oil, while those of us who live in huts of mud with only a spoon and a plate to our name have to swallow the bitter ______."
2. Complete the sentence by Adela in the play, "Sometimes she looks into my room to see if I'm ________."
3. What does Poncia inspect and finds spots on?
4. Who says that it's better to never even look at a man and that she's been afraid of men since she was a girl?
5. In what way does Bernarda tell Poncia to have the men leave the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the family's conversation with Prudencia?
2. Why is a large crowd gathering near Bernarda's house that the daughters watch in Act 2, Part 3?
3. How does Poncia suggest they could use the lace?
4. What does Martirio say about the real reason a young woman won't leave her house in Act 1, Part 3?
5. What does Magdalena suggest to Adela about Pepe in Act 1, Part 3?
6. What is the nature of Maria Josefa's interaction with a lamb in the play?
7. How is Adela's appearance described when she returns from the corral in Act 3, Part 2?
8. In what way does Angustias suggest Poncia is lying in Act 2, Part 3?
9. What does Poncia find when Bernarda has her search all of her daughters' rooms?
10. How does Bernarda react when she learns someone stole Pepe's picture?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)