|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Complete the sentence spoken by Bernarda in the play, "With the ___ that opens all doors, and the hand that closes them."
2. What is the name of the daughter who talks about a young woman the family used to know that was sociable but isn't allowed anywhere now?
3. How many daughters does Bernarda have?
4. What does Poncia tell Adela will probably happen to Angustias soon after she marries Pepe that will allow her to marry him?
(a) Adela will intervene.
(b) Pepe will divorce her.
(c) She will die in childbirth.
(d) Poncia will kill her.
5. What does Adela say is the worst possible time for her to be doing at this time of her life in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) Be in mourning.
(b) Go out of town.
(c) Have a baby.
(d) Be in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the daughters does not run out to see Pepe when he arrives at the house in Act 1, Part 3?
2. What time did Poncia say she actually heard Pepe leave the house in Act 2, Part 1?
3. What does Magdalena say that Angustias did just like her father in Act 1, Part 3?
4. What does Adela say she would do to put out the fire she feels?
5. Who does the Servant say she is glad will never force her to have sex with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adela react when Martirio suggests she didn't sleep well in Act 2, Part 1?
2. Why does Bernarda tell Poncia that she didn't allow Martirio to marry the man who was courting her?
3. What does Poncia say about Bernarda's daughters at the beginning of the play?
4. How does Bernarda's daughters react to her suggestion about what they should do during their eight years of mourning?
5. What reason does a Beggar Woman come to Bernarda's house?
6. How is Angustias' engagement ring described?
7. What does Poncia suggest that Adela wished to do with her body?
8. How does Bernarda respond when Poncia suggests something dangerous was happening in her home?
9. What does Bernarda suggest her daughters do during their eight years of mourning?
10. What is the nature of Adela's discussion with Martirio about being Pepe's mistress?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)