|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Complete the sentence spoken by Bernarda in the play, "But they forget them when you put a plate of ______ in front of them".
2. Complete this sentence spoken by Poncia in the play, "In the paternoster his voice went up and up and up like a ________ slowly being filled with water."
3. Who do Amelia, Magdalena, Martirio, and Angustias talk about at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
(c) Maria Josefa.
4. What is the name of the person cleaning with a servant at the beginning of Act 1, Part 1?
5. What does Bernarda meet with a lawyer about in the play?
(a) Her husband's will.
(b) Her inheritance.
(c) Her daughter's money.
(d) The deed to her house.
6. What color are the pitchers Poncia hands out in Act 1, Part 2?
7. Who comes to the door after Poncia goes out in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) A Beggar woman.
(c) A Servant.
8. Which of the daughters says the real reason a young woman cannot leave her house is because she is afraid of Bernarda?
9. What part of the daughters' clothes does Bernarda say they cannot change in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) Their headscarves.
(b) Their shoes.
(c) Their coats.
(d) Their dresses.
10. Complete the sentence by Amelia in the play, "_________ is to blame, it makes life impossible".
11. What does Martirio say is one of the few good things she has left in her life?
(b) Good linens.
(d) Nice underwear.
12. What does Adela say she is going into the village wearing the next day after the funeral?
(a) Her black veil.
(b) Flowers in her hair.
(c) Her white shoes.
(d) Her green dress.
13. What does Bernarda tell Poncia to bring out to the men who gave her money?
14. What does a woman who was abducted from her home return the following morning with, according to the story in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) With no clothes on.
(b) With flowers in her hair.
(c) Loose hair and flowers.
(d) With pants on.
15. What does Bernarda ask Poncia regarding the men on the patio in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) If they are single.
(b) If they are married.
(c) What they were talking about.
(d) If they are interested in her daughters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria Josefa say that she wants to do near the end of Act 1, Part 3?
2. Complete this sentence spoken by the Servant in the play, "Floors, cupboards, pedestals, iron bed frames polished with oil, while those of us who live in huts of mud with only a spoon and a plate to our name have to swallow the bitter ______."
3. Who slyly suggests that Adela plans on giving her body to Pepe?
4. How many years does Poncia say she has worked for Bernarda?
5. What color is the dress Adela changes into out of her mourning clothes?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)