|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bernarda tell the servants to do when she first enters the room in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Clean up.
(b) Make dinner.
(c) Make drinks.
(d) Be quiet.
2. Where does Poncia go to listen to the last prayers of the day?
(a) On the porch.
(b) In her room.
(c) The window.
(d) The door.
3. What part of the daughters' clothes does Bernarda say they cannot change in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) Their headscarves.
(b) Their dresses.
(c) Their coats.
(d) Their shoes.
4. Where does Bernarda tell the servants to take her mother so she cannot be seen by the villagers?
(a) The courtyard.
(b) The basement.
(c) The front porch.
(d) The attic.
5. What does Poncia come in with as the women mourners go out in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) An animal.
(b) Empty glasses.
(c) A bag of money.
(d) Platters of food.
6. What does Poncia make a pointed comment about regarding what the lace could be used for?
(a) Baby's clothes.
(c) A dress.
(d) Bed linens.
7. What does Bernarda claim is the only reason the mourners came to her house after they had gone out?
(a) To steal money.
(b) To help out.
(c) To snoop and criticize.
(d) To offer sympathy.
8. How many daughters does Bernarda have?
9. What does Bernarda tell Poncia to bring out to the men who gave her money?
10. What does Adela say she is going into the village wearing the next day after the funeral?
(a) Her white shoes.
(b) Her green dress.
(c) Her black veil.
(d) Flowers in her hair.
11. Complete this sentence spoken by Poncia in the play, "In the paternoster his voice went up and up and up like a ________ slowly being filled with water."
12. Complete the sentence by Bernarda in the play, "You've told me that ________ times already, and I have chosen not to answer you."
13. Which of the daughters says the real reason a young woman cannot leave her house is because she is afraid of Bernarda?
14. What does Bernarda order Poncia to bring her and the mourners at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
15. What is Poncia's comment regarding Bernarda's daughters when Bernarda comments on Angustias' flirting?
(a) That they are the right age to be married.
(b) That they still have time to have children.
(c) That they want to have husbands.
(d) That they are pretty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete this sentence spoken by the Servant in the play, "Floors, cupboards, pedestals, iron bed frames polished with oil, while those of us who live in huts of mud with only a spoon and a plate to our name have to swallow the bitter ______."
2. What does Poncia tell Adela will probably happen to Angustias soon after she marries Pepe that will allow her to marry him?
3. During Bernarda's conversation with the mourners, what does she tell her daughters not to do?
4. What is Bernarda returning home from at the beginning of the play?
5. Complete the sentence by Magdalena in the play, "If you're arguing about the ________, you are the richest one anyway, you can keep it all."
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)