|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does Bernarda tell Poncia to have the men leave the house?
(a) As soon as possible.
(b) The way they came in.
(c) Later on in the night.
2. What does a woman who was abducted from her home return the following morning with, according to the story in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) With no clothes on.
(b) With flowers in her hair.
(c) With pants on.
(d) Loose hair and flowers.
3. What words do the two servants use to describe Bernarda before she returns home in Act 1, Part 1?
(b) Happy and cheerful.
(c) Sad and melancholy.
(d) Tyrannical and demanding.
4. Complete this sentence spoken by Poncia in the play, "In the paternoster his voice went up and up and up like a ________ slowly being filled with water."
5. What does Adela complain about Martirio to Poncia in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) He is irritating.
(b) He is worrisome.
(c) He is suspicious.
(d) He is annoying.
6. What does Bernarda claim is the only reason the mourners came to her house after they had gone out?
(a) To steal money.
(b) To help out.
(c) To offer sympathy.
(d) To snoop and criticize.
7. At what time does Poncia reveal she was up and saw Pepe talking with Angustias at her window?
(b) 3:00 a.m.
(c) 1:30 a.m.
(d) 2:00 a.m.
8. Who goes out to get linen for the girls to start work on their hope chests?
9. Who is said to be locked up in another room of the house in Act 1, Part 1?
(d) Bernarda's mother.
10. What does Bernarda tell Poncia to bring out to the men who gave her money?
11. Who do Amelia, Magdalena, Martirio, and Angustias talk about at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
(b) Maria Josefa.
12. Who has just died at the beginning of the play?
(a) Bernarda's husband.
(b) Bernarda's mother.
(c) Bernarda's grandmother.
(d) Bernarda's father.
13. Complete the sentence spoken by Adela in the play, "If you don't want to embroider them, then ______ just as they are."
14. What does Bernarda meet with a lawyer about in the play?
(a) Her daughter's money.
(b) The deed to her house.
(c) Her husband's will.
(d) Her inheritance.
15. Complete the sentence by Poncia in the play, "Cling to that ______, and forget him."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Poncia say is a wonderful singer in Act 1, Part 1?
2. What noise is heard at the beginning of Act 1, Part 1?
3. What do the servants' complaints change to when Bernarda enters the room in Act 1, Part 1?
4. How many years does Bernarda say she and her family will have to be in mourning?
5. Complete the sentence by Martirio in the play, "It is truly strange that two people that don't know each other would suddenly see each other at a window and become ________".
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)