|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Kathy keep her vow to herself not to drink anymore?
2. Why does Nadereh sometimes go to bed for hours or days?
3. Who owns half of Kathy's house?
4. Why doesn't Kathy explain the house situation to Frank?
5. Why does Nadereh dress up on the same day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nadereh accuse Behrani of ruining their country and her life?
2. Why does Behrani regret that he will soon sell the house?
3. When Kathy explains her need to keep the house to Nadereh, what is Nadereh's concern?
4. How does Kathy feel about her drinking when she is in the motel with Lester, and why is it important to the story?
5. When Esmail asks his father if they were rich in Iran, Behrani replies, "Yes and no, son." What do you think he meant?
6. Why is Behrani quitting both his jobs?
7. Why does Kathy say she feels like a witch waiting for her brew to take effect?
8. In the interview with Connie Walsh, what does she indicate that Behrani should do?
9. What happens to Behrani's cousin Jasmeen, and why is he unable to forget it?
10. Why does Lester believe Behrani deserves to be punished by him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Kathy had felt supported rather than criticized by her family, do you think the outcome of this story would have been different? Do you think her feelings are justified by their treatment of her? Using quotations and facts from the text, analyze Kathy's relationships with her mother and brother.
Essay Topic 2
Behrani's relationship with his fellow soldiers led him to agree with things he didn't really believe in. Lester's relationship with his fellow officers has led him to do things he doesn't really believe in. Kathy says she believes that without the men "throwing their weight around," the women could have quickly solved the problem between them. Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Uniforms have a big effect on characters in this story. Perhaps even Kathy's way of dressing is a uniform of sorts, designed to create a specific impression on the men who look at her. Using quotations from the story, discuss the effect of Behrani's uniform, Lester's uniform, or Kathy's mode of dress on themselves and the other characters.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)