|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Behrani's response when Connie Walsh tells him that Kathy has been wronged?
2. Why has Behrani been worried that Nadereh would object to the widow's walk?
3. What does Behrani say to Kathy when she tells him that her father left her the house?
4. Why does Behrani buy a wrecking bar?
5. Why does Lester put on his uniform to go see Behrani?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first meeting between Behrani and Kathy, what does he advise her to do?
2. Why is Kathy upset about the utility bills she gets in the mail?
3. Why is Nadereh happier in the little house than she had been in the expensive apartment?
4. Why does Behrani say that he is not a man of faith?
5. What is the BEAST that Kathy has been taught to avoid?
6. Why does Nadereh accuse Behrani of ruining their country and her life?
7. Why is Kathy surprised when the officers come to evict her from her home?
8. Why does Lester believe Behrani deserves to be punished by him?
9. How does Kathy feel about her drinking when she is in the motel with Lester, and why is it important to the story?
10. Why does Kathy say she feels like a witch waiting for her brew to take effect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We are not told that Kathy is beautiful, but there are several instances of responses to her from men, including bystanders and passing motorists. What do these responses tell you about her? What does Lester's response to her tell you about her? In your opinion, would the story have been different if Kathy's appearance was different? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Behrani's relationship with his fellow soldiers led him to agree with things he didn't really believe in. Lester's relationship with his fellow officers has led him to do things he doesn't really believe in. Kathy says she believes that without the men "throwing their weight around," the women could have quickly solved the problem between them. Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is your opinion about what should have happened with the house? What would have been a fair outcome if the characters had told no lies and committed no crimes? Justify your opinion with facts from the story.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)