|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Jackie try to enlist some help?
2. Why is the topic dropped?
3. Why does Bill suddenly jump up?
4. About what does Mr. Katz inquire?
5. Why can this character not sleep in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill suggest the Girl do to help out? Why does she not do it?
2. How does Jackie continue to annoy Mr. Katz? What does she tell the others?
3. How does Paul handle their reply about his grandfather?
4. What does the Girl want to know about the Pioneer Hotel? What does Millie tell her?
5. What happens when Paul comes back to the hotel?
6. What does Jackie ask about Jamie? Why does she ask this?
7. Why is Jackie glad Mr. Katz is there?
8. What does Paul inquire of Mrs. Oxenham?
9. How does the play open?
10. How does the Girl get Mr. Morse to come out of the closet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play ends without the audience knowing what will become of any of the characters.
Part 1) Describe the ending of the play.
Part 2) Predict what will happen in the future for these characters, based on what you know of them.
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for ending the play this way? What are your thoughts on this ending?
Essay Topic 2
The play was written in 1973.
Part 1) When is this play supposed to take place? Does it seem like that, as you read it? Why or why not?
Part 2) Could this play take place at any time? Why or why not?
Part 3) What updates would you make to the play? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the broken down hotel are all vulnerable or broken in some way.
Part 1) Describe the characters.
Part 2) Why are they broken down?
Part 3) Will they ever be able to get out of this broken down state? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,835 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)