|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Girl tell Jackie that she knows the particular area where Jackie has purchased land, and that it is a barren desert?
(a) She wants Jackie to know that buying the land was a mistake.
(b) She is angered by Jackie's attempt to steal from old Mr. Morse.
(c) She wants to be helpful.
(d) She hopes Jackie and get out of purchasing the land.
2. What does the Girl yell through the door to Mr. Morse?
(a) Jamie is sorry.
(b) Jamie misses you.
(c) Jamie has a black eye.
(d) Jamie still wants to play checkers.
3. How does Jackie continue to annoy Mr. Katz?
(a) She is constantly talking to him.
(b) By spreading out paperwork that she is working on.
(c) She keeps asking for him to be a co-signer for her.
(d) By sitting too close to him.
4. What is Mrs. Bellotti doing?
(a) Complaining about her son's problems.
(b) Begging Mr. Katz to give Horse one more chance.
(c) Calling Horse to come help move out his things.
(d) Carrying one more box from Horse's room.
5. What does Jackie claim?
(a) She is only a nursing assistant.
(b) She is not in the mood for games.
(c) She does not want to help.
(d) She fixed Mr. Morse's window and does not know anything about any stolen goods.
6. What does the Girl suggest to Paul?
(a) There is a possibility that Mr. Katz is his grandfather.
(b) There is a possibility that Millie knew his grandfather.
(c) There is a possibility that his grandfather stayed in the hotel.
(d) There is a possibility that Mr. Morse could be Paul's grandfather.
7. For what does Millie try to intercede on Paul's behalf?
(a) Some peace and quiet.
(b) Some privacy.
(c) A new room.
(d) A break from looking for his grandfather.
8. What does the Girl do with a tube of mascara from her purse?
(a) She proceeds to blacken the area around one of Jamie's eyes.
(b) She applies mascara to her eyelashes.
(c) She puts the mascara on Jamie and dresses him like a woman.
(d) She tells Mr. Morse she has a gift for him.
9. What does Mrs. Oxenham yell at Paul?
(a) She knows where Paul's grandfather is.
(b) To leave her alone.
(c) She has found his grandfather's name in her records.
(d) She has still found nothing about his grandfather.
10. What does Jackie say to protect Jamie?
(a) He is not very smart.
(b) His health is not good.
(c) Her mother would not approve of this.
(d) He is shy.
11. What does Paul agree to do?
(a) Bring his grandfather to the Girl.
(b) Have the Girl give him her address.
(c) Introduce the Girl to him.
(d) Let the Girl call his grandfather.
12. What crazy tales does Millie tell?
(a) Her wild family and servants.
(b) Of servants and ghostly visitors.
(c) Hunting crocodiles and surviving hurricanes.
(d) Of parties and gallant gentlemen.
13. How does Millie know this to be true?
(a) Her psychic instincts validate that he is alive.
(b) Her things are all packed.
(c) Everyone is sick of everyone else.
(d) She has lived in this hotel a very long time.
14. For what does Millie apologize?
(a) Not having lived at the Hotel at the time Paul's grandfather had stayed there.
(b) Not remembering Paul's grandfather herself.
(c) Not being more helpful.
(d) Being rude.
15. How did this come about?
(a) She needed to tell her secret after all these years.
(b) Jackie and Jamie had been driving from Buffalo to Florida one day and heard an ad for the land.
(c) She had auditioned and hired an agent.
(d) She had gone to the wine store the night before.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Paul's parents not let his grandfather live with them?
2. Why do Millie and the Girl change the subject to the topic of Millie's girlhood home in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?
3. Where does Mr. Morse confusedly retreat?
4. What does Mrs. Oxenham admit?
5. What does Jackie do when she finally sees Jamie's blackened eye?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)