|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Girl yell through the door to Mr. Morse?
(a) Jamie is sorry.
(b) Jamie has a black eye.
(c) Jamie still wants to play checkers.
(d) Jamie misses you.
2. Where does Mr. Morse confusedly retreat?
(a) To the broom closet.
(b) To Mr. Katz's office.
(c) To the bathroom.
(d) To his room.
3. With what is the Girl enraptured?
(a) The way Millie tells her story.
(b) The city of Baton Rouge.
(c) The glimpse into Millie's past.
(d) The mention of the kind men.
4. Why can Mrs. Oxenham be of no further help to Paul?
(a) His grandfather deserves his privacy.
(b) She still has not found anything about his grandfather.
(c) They never accept forwarding addresses from their residents.
(d) She does not feel comfortable contacting his grandfather.
5. Why does Jamie retreat to another room?
(a) He is tired.
(b) He is not feeling well.
(c) To avoid any more confrontation.
(d) He does not want to play checkers anymore.
6. How does Jackie continue to annoy Mr. Katz?
(a) By sitting too close to him.
(b) She is constantly talking to him.
(c) She keeps asking for him to be a co-signer for her.
(d) By spreading out paperwork that she is working on.
7. What does the Girl do with a tube of mascara from her purse?
(a) She tells Mr. Morse she has a gift for him.
(b) She applies mascara to her eyelashes.
(c) She puts the mascara on Jamie and dresses him like a woman.
(d) She proceeds to blacken the area around one of Jamie's eyes.
8. Why does the Girl rattle off an extensive list of all the cities that she has visited in the United States?
(a) She persists in trying to identify Paul's hometown.
(b) She loves to travel.
(c) She wants to show Paul she is well-travelled.
(d) She loves to brag about where she has been.
9. In what does the Girl try to engage Paul?
(a) A game of checkers.
(b) A conversation about his grandfather and his hometown.
(c) A movie.
(d) A conversation about his job.
10. How did this come about?
(a) She had auditioned and hired an agent.
(b) She needed to tell her secret after all these years.
(c) She had gone to the wine store the night before.
(d) Jackie and Jamie had been driving from Buffalo to Florida one day and heard an ad for the land.
11. Why is Paul determined to find his grandfather?
(a) He wants to find a good nursing home for his grandfather.
(b) He wants to take care of the elderly gentleman himself, now that he is out of confinement.
(c) He wants to bring his grandfather back to live with him and his parents.
(d) He was always closest to his grandfather.
12. What did Jackie buy?
(a) Two plane tickets to California.
(b) A journal to write down all of her secrets.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) Twenty acres, sight unseen.
13. What does Mr. Katz do to Jackie?
(a) He snatches her purse.
(b) He wants her to try to fix Mr. Morse's window again.
(c) He asks her to leave.
(d) He asks her again to help Mr. Morse.
14. What does Mrs. Oxenham yell at Paul?
(a) She has found his grandfather's name in her records.
(b) She knows where Paul's grandfather is.
(c) She has still found nothing about his grandfather.
(d) To leave her alone.
15. What does Mr. Katz reluctantly do?
(a) Calls Paul's grandfather.
(b) Pulls out the record books to begin a search for evidence that the elderly Mr. Granger had stayed at the hotel.
(c) Finds a room for Paul to stay in.
(d) Gives Paul a refund for his previous stay.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Millie apologize?
2. For what does Millie try to intercede on Paul's behalf?
3. What is Mrs. Bellotti doing?
4. To what does Paul turn his focus?
5. What does Millie remind Jackie?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)