|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Paul determined to find his grandfather?
(a) He was always closest to his grandfather.
(b) He wants to bring his grandfather back to live with him and his parents.
(c) He wants to take care of the elderly gentleman himself, now that he is out of confinement.
(d) He wants to find a good nursing home for his grandfather.
2. What crazy tales does Millie tell?
(a) Hunting crocodiles and surviving hurricanes.
(b) Of servants and ghostly visitors.
(c) Her wild family and servants.
(d) Of parties and gallant gentlemen.
3. For what does Millie try to intercede on Paul's behalf?
(a) A new room.
(b) Some peace and quiet.
(c) A break from looking for his grandfather.
(d) Some privacy.
4. Why is Mr. Morse moving silently down the stairs, waving his arms?
(a) He is playing a game.
(b) He is choking.
(c) He is trying to entertain the other guests.
(d) He is trying desperately to say something, which will not come out.
5. What does Jackie say to protect Jamie?
(a) His health is not good.
(b) He is not very smart.
(c) Her mother would not approve of this.
(d) He is shy.
6. What is Mrs. Bellotti doing?
(a) Begging Mr. Katz to give Horse one more chance.
(b) Calling Horse to come help move out his things.
(c) Complaining about her son's problems.
(d) Carrying one more box from Horse's room.
7. What does the Girl do when she learns that the old man had been a train engineer?
(a) She asks to meet him with Paul.
(b) She calls him.
(c) She wants to interview him when Paul allows it.
(d) She is ecstatic and demands the chance to talk to the old man, when he is found.
8. Where does Mr. Morse confusedly retreat?
(a) To his room.
(b) To the broom closet.
(c) To Mr. Katz's office.
(d) To the bathroom.
9. What does Mrs. Oxenham admit?
(a) She cannot possibly remember everyone who has been at the hotel.
(b) She does not enjoy her job.
(c) She is tired of all the complaints.
(d) She wishes Mr. Morse would move out.
10. How did this come about?
(a) She had auditioned and hired an agent.
(b) She needed to tell her secret after all these years.
(c) She had gone to the wine store the night before.
(d) Jackie and Jamie had been driving from Buffalo to Florida one day and heard an ad for the land.
11. In what does the Girl try to engage Paul?
(a) A conversation about his job.
(b) A movie.
(c) A game of checkers.
(d) A conversation about his grandfather and his hometown.
12. What does Mr. Katz order Jackie and Jamie to do?
(a) Pay Mr. Morse what is owed to him.
(b) Vacate the hotel by this evening.
(c) Call the cops.
(d) Apologize to everyone.
13. What occurs on the other side of the room?
(a) Jamie and Mr. Morse begin to fight about their checkers game.
(b) Jamie and Mr. Morse get into a fight over the football game.
(c) Jamie and Mr. Morse complain about the hotel falling apart around them.
(d) Jamie and Mr. Morse are playing checkers.
14. What does Mr. Katz reluctantly do?
(a) Gives Paul a refund for his previous stay.
(b) Finds a room for Paul to stay in.
(c) Calls Paul's grandfather.
(d) Pulls out the record books to begin a search for evidence that the elderly Mr. Granger had stayed at the hotel.
15. Why can Mrs. Oxenham be of no further help to Paul?
(a) His grandfather deserves his privacy.
(b) They never accept forwarding addresses from their residents.
(c) She does not feel comfortable contacting his grandfather.
(d) She still has not found anything about his grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Girl follow Jackie?
2. What does the Girl do with a tube of mascara from her purse?
3. What does Jackie share with the others in the room?
4. What does the Girl do to Mr. Morse?
5. Why does the Girl rattle off an extensive list of all the cities that she has visited in the United States?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)