|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Millie apologize?
(a) Being rude.
(b) Not being more helpful.
(c) Not having lived at the Hotel at the time Paul's grandfather had stayed there.
(d) Not remembering Paul's grandfather herself.
2. What does Millie remind Jackie?
(a) The other residents will pitch in to help her.
(b) Mr. Katz may still help her, if she can avoid annoying him.
(c) It is Memorial Day.
(d) Jamie is in his room.
3. What does the Girl do when she learns that the old man had been a train engineer?
(a) She calls him.
(b) She wants to interview him when Paul allows it.
(c) She is ecstatic and demands the chance to talk to the old man, when he is found.
(d) She asks to meet him with Paul.
4. What does Mrs. Oxenham yell at Paul?
(a) She knows where Paul's grandfather is.
(b) She has still found nothing about his grandfather.
(c) She has found his grandfather's name in her records.
(d) To leave her alone.
5. In what does the Girl try to engage Paul?
(a) A conversation about his grandfather and his hometown.
(b) A conversation about his job.
(c) A movie.
(d) A game of checkers.
6. What crazy tales does Millie tell?
(a) Of parties and gallant gentlemen.
(b) Of servants and ghostly visitors.
(c) Hunting crocodiles and surviving hurricanes.
(d) Her wild family and servants.
7. What does Mr. Katz finally order Jackie to do?
(a) Go to her room.
(b) Move out.
(c) Leave him alone.
(d) Move her things to another table.
8. Why is Jackie annoyed?
(a) Jamie is not in the lobby.
(b) She has not convinced Mr. Katz to help her.
(c) All the pawn shops are closed today.
(d) She is getting no help from the other residents.
9. How does Paul react to this news?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is nervous.
(c) He is crestfallen.
(d) He is excited.
10. With what is the Girl enraptured?
(a) The glimpse into Millie's past.
(b) The city of Baton Rouge.
(c) The mention of the kind men.
(d) The way Millie tells her story.
11. What does Mrs. Oxenham tell Paul she will do for him?
(a) She will notify him if she finds any information about his grandfather.
(b) Call his grandfather.
(c) Find his grandfather.
(d) Notify his parents.
12. What is Mrs. Oxenham, the hotel's day desk clerk and switchboard operator, attempting to deflect?
(a) The complaints from the many residents.
(b) Paul's request to determine whether or not his grandfather had stayed at the hotel a few years ago.
(c) Mr. Katz's questions.
(d) Mr. Morse's whining.
13. How does the Girl respond to Jackie's question?
(a) Jamie was hit by Mr. Morse.
(b) The whole incident had been a joke.
(c) Jamie asked to have the mascara put on him.
(d) Jackie should not laugh at her brother.
14. What did Jackie buy?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) Two plane tickets to California.
(c) A journal to write down all of her secrets.
(d) Twenty acres, sight unseen.
15. Why is Mr. Morse ready for another game of checkers?
(a) He is satisfied that he is the victor in the conflict.
(b) He misses playing checkers.
(c) His much needed break is over.
(d) He has apologized to Jamie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Mrs. Oxenham be of no further help to Paul?
2. Why do Millie and the Girl change the subject to the topic of Millie's girlhood home in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?
3. What does Paul share with the Girl?
4. Why does the Girl rattle off an extensive list of all the cities that she has visited in the United States?
5. What will Paul not accept?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)