|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paul share with the Girl?
(a) He has been in a workhouse for the past two years for selling marijuana in college.
(b) He has been looking for his grandfather for five years.
(c) He is from a very wealthy, kind family.
(d) A sandwich.
2. What does Mrs. Oxenham tell Paul she will do for him?
(a) Notify his parents.
(b) Call his grandfather.
(c) She will notify him if she finds any information about his grandfather.
(d) Find his grandfather.
3. What will Paul not accept?
(a) Mrs. Oxenham is too busy.
(b) There are no rooms available.
(c) The lack of response.
(d) Mr. Katz will not speak with him.
4. What does the Girl do when she learns that the old man had been a train engineer?
(a) She is ecstatic and demands the chance to talk to the old man, when he is found.
(b) She wants to interview him when Paul allows it.
(c) She asks to meet him with Paul.
(d) She calls him.
5. With what is the Girl enraptured?
(a) The way Millie tells her story.
(b) The city of Baton Rouge.
(c) The mention of the kind men.
(d) The glimpse into Millie's past.
6. What does Mrs. Oxenham yell at Paul?
(a) She has found his grandfather's name in her records.
(b) She knows where Paul's grandfather is.
(c) She has still found nothing about his grandfather.
(d) To leave her alone.
7. Why does the Girl tell Jackie that she knows the particular area where Jackie has purchased land, and that it is a barren desert?
(a) She wants to be helpful.
(b) She hopes Jackie and get out of purchasing the land.
(c) She wants Jackie to know that buying the land was a mistake.
(d) She is angered by Jackie's attempt to steal from old Mr. Morse.
8. Why does Jamie retreat to another room?
(a) To avoid any more confrontation.
(b) He does not want to play checkers anymore.
(c) He is not feeling well.
(d) He is tired.
9. What does Mr. Katz reluctantly do?
(a) Calls Paul's grandfather.
(b) Pulls out the record books to begin a search for evidence that the elderly Mr. Granger had stayed at the hotel.
(c) Finds a room for Paul to stay in.
(d) Gives Paul a refund for his previous stay.
10. What does the Girl suggest to Paul?
(a) There is a possibility that his grandfather stayed in the hotel.
(b) There is a possibility that Mr. Katz is his grandfather.
(c) There is a possibility that Mr. Morse could be Paul's grandfather.
(d) There is a possibility that Millie knew his grandfather.
11. Why does Mr. Morse head back upstairs to his room?
(a) To take a nap.
(b) To get away from the people in the lounge.
(c) He is not feeling well.
(d) He wants to read a book in private.
12. How does Paul react to this news?
(a) He is crestfallen.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is nervous.
(d) He is excited.
13. What does the Girl tell Paul he should do if he really wants to know about his grandfather?
(a) Employ Millie's talents as a psychic.
(b) Hire a detective.
(d) Call his parents.
14. What does Jackie do when she finally sees Jamie's blackened eye?
(a) She demands to know the circumstances of the injury.
(b) She yells at him for acting so childishly.
(c) She begins to laugh.
(d) She wipes off the mascara.
15. What does Millie suddenly stand and declare?
(a) She is tired of all of the guests.
(b) The hotel is her home, and she does not want to be evicted.
(c) She is moving.
(d) Paul's grandfather is alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Morse ready for another game of checkers?
2. What does Jackie say to protect Jamie?
3. What does Mr. Katz finally order Jackie to do?
4. Why must Jamie and Mr. Morse be separated?
5. What does the Girl do to Mr. Morse?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)