|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Bellotti doing?
(a) Begging Mr. Katz to give Horse one more chance.
(b) Calling Horse to come help move out his things.
(c) Carrying one more box from Horse's room.
(d) Complaining about her son's problems.
2. What will Paul not accept?
(a) Mrs. Oxenham is too busy.
(b) Mr. Katz will not speak with him.
(c) There are no rooms available.
(d) The lack of response.
3. What does Mr. Katz reluctantly do?
(a) Gives Paul a refund for his previous stay.
(b) Pulls out the record books to begin a search for evidence that the elderly Mr. Granger had stayed at the hotel.
(c) Finds a room for Paul to stay in.
(d) Calls Paul's grandfather.
4. What does Jackie share with the others in the room?
(a) A secret she has been keeping for ten years.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) Her intentions to move to California and become a movie star.
(d) Her intention to raise organic foods on a plot of land that she purchased in Utah.
5. What does Jackie claim about her car?
(a) It has already broken down.
(b) It is dirty.
(c) It has been sideswiped.
(d) It has been stolen.
6. With what is the Girl enraptured?
(a) The city of Baton Rouge.
(b) The mention of the kind men.
(c) The way Millie tells her story.
(d) The glimpse into Millie's past.
7. How did this come about?
(a) She had auditioned and hired an agent.
(b) She needed to tell her secret after all these years.
(c) She had gone to the wine store the night before.
(d) Jackie and Jamie had been driving from Buffalo to Florida one day and heard an ad for the land.
8. What does Mrs. Oxenham yell at Paul?
(a) She has still found nothing about his grandfather.
(b) She has found his grandfather's name in her records.
(c) She knows where Paul's grandfather is.
(d) To leave her alone.
9. For what does Millie apologize?
(a) Not having lived at the Hotel at the time Paul's grandfather had stayed there.
(b) Being rude.
(c) Not being more helpful.
(d) Not remembering Paul's grandfather herself.
10. What does Jackie do when she finally sees Jamie's blackened eye?
(a) She yells at him for acting so childishly.
(b) She demands to know the circumstances of the injury.
(c) She wipes off the mascara.
(d) She begins to laugh.
11. Why is Mr. Morse ready for another game of checkers?
(a) His much needed break is over.
(b) He misses playing checkers.
(c) He has apologized to Jamie.
(d) He is satisfied that he is the victor in the conflict.
12. In what does the Girl try to engage Paul?
(a) A conversation about his job.
(b) A game of checkers.
(c) A movie.
(d) A conversation about his grandfather and his hometown.
13. Why does Mr. Morse head back upstairs to his room?
(a) To take a nap.
(b) He wants to read a book in private.
(c) To get away from the people in the lounge.
(d) He is not feeling well.
14. What does Jamie have no intentions of doing?
(a) Hurting Mr. Morse.
(b) Telling Mr. Morse that he is sorry.
(c) Fighting again.
(d) Ending the checkers game.
15. Where does Mr. Morse confusedly retreat?
(a) To the bathroom.
(b) To the broom closet.
(c) To Mr. Katz's office.
(d) To his room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackie say to protect Jamie?
2. Why do Millie and the Girl change the subject to the topic of Millie's girlhood home in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?
3. To what does Paul turn his focus?
4. What does Millie remind Jackie?
5. What does the Girl tell Paul he should do if he really wants to know about his grandfather?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)