|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Girl rattle off an extensive list of all the cities that she has visited in the United States?
(a) She wants to show Paul she is well-travelled.
(b) She loves to brag about where she has been.
(c) She persists in trying to identify Paul's hometown.
(d) She loves to travel.
2. What does the Girl do when she learns that the old man had been a train engineer?
(a) She wants to interview him when Paul allows it.
(b) She calls him.
(c) She is ecstatic and demands the chance to talk to the old man, when he is found.
(d) She asks to meet him with Paul.
3. What does the Girl tell Paul he should do if he really wants to know about his grandfather?
(a) Call his parents.
(b) Employ Millie's talents as a psychic.
(d) Hire a detective.
4. What document is available?
(a) A telephone number.
(b) A rent receipt.
(c) A credit card number.
(d) A forwarding address.
5. What does the Girl come back into the lobby and tell Mr. Katz that she finally realizes?
(a) The hotel management is lazy and does not care about its residents.
(b) Mr. Katz is trying to steal money from all of them.
(c) She has a horrible job and should find a more respectable one.
(d) The hotel management company has no intentions of fixing the hot water problems or the broken elevator in the hopes that the residents will vacate early.
6. What is Mrs. Oxenham, the hotel's day desk clerk and switchboard operator, attempting to deflect?
(a) Mr. Katz's questions.
(b) The complaints from the many residents.
(c) Paul's request to determine whether or not his grandfather had stayed at the hotel a few years ago.
(d) Mr. Morse's whining.
7. To what does Paul turn his focus?
(a) The football game on the television.
(b) The commotion in the lobby.
(c) A beautiful girl sitting in the lobby.
(d) The game of checkers being played by Mr. Morse and Jamie.
8. Why can Mrs. Oxenham be of no further help to Paul?
(a) She still has not found anything about his grandfather.
(b) She does not feel comfortable contacting his grandfather.
(c) They never accept forwarding addresses from their residents.
(d) His grandfather deserves his privacy.
9. In what does the Girl try to engage Paul?
(a) A movie.
(b) A game of checkers.
(c) A conversation about his grandfather and his hometown.
(d) A conversation about his job.
10. What will Paul not accept?
(a) There are no rooms available.
(b) Mr. Katz will not speak with him.
(c) Mrs. Oxenham is too busy.
(d) The lack of response.
11. What does Millie suddenly stand and declare?
(a) She is moving.
(b) She is tired of all of the guests.
(c) Paul's grandfather is alive.
(d) The hotel is her home, and she does not want to be evicted.
12. Why is Paul determined to find his grandfather?
(a) He wants to find a good nursing home for his grandfather.
(b) He wants to bring his grandfather back to live with him and his parents.
(c) He was always closest to his grandfather.
(d) He wants to take care of the elderly gentleman himself, now that he is out of confinement.
13. For what does Millie apologize?
(a) Not being more helpful.
(b) Not having lived at the Hotel at the time Paul's grandfather had stayed there.
(c) Being rude.
(d) Not remembering Paul's grandfather herself.
14. What does Paul agree to do?
(a) Have the Girl give him her address.
(b) Let the Girl call his grandfather.
(c) Introduce the Girl to him.
(d) Bring his grandfather to the Girl.
15. Why does the Girl tell Jackie that she knows the particular area where Jackie has purchased land, and that it is a barren desert?
(a) She is angered by Jackie's attempt to steal from old Mr. Morse.
(b) She hopes Jackie and get out of purchasing the land.
(c) She wants to be helpful.
(d) She wants Jackie to know that buying the land was a mistake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackie share with the others in the room?
2. How has the management company fulfilled its duty?
3. What does Mrs. Oxenham yell at Paul?
4. How does the Girl respond to Jackie's question?
5. How does Millie know this to be true?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)