|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Girl yell through the door to Mr. Morse?
(a) Jamie misses you.
(b) Jamie still wants to play checkers.
(c) Jamie is sorry.
(d) Jamie has a black eye.
2. What does Jackie do when she finally sees Jamie's blackened eye?
(a) She begins to laugh.
(b) She demands to know the circumstances of the injury.
(c) She wipes off the mascara.
(d) She yells at him for acting so childishly.
3. What crazy tales does Millie tell?
(a) Her wild family and servants.
(b) Hunting crocodiles and surviving hurricanes.
(c) Of servants and ghostly visitors.
(d) Of parties and gallant gentlemen.
4. What did Jackie buy?
(a) Two plane tickets to California.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) A journal to write down all of her secrets.
(d) Twenty acres, sight unseen.
5. What does the Girl tell Paul he should do if he really wants to know about his grandfather?
(a) Employ Millie's talents as a psychic.
(b) Hire a detective.
(c) Call his parents.
6. What does Mrs. Oxenham admit?
(a) She cannot possibly remember everyone who has been at the hotel.
(b) She wishes Mr. Morse would move out.
(c) She does not enjoy her job.
(d) She is tired of all the complaints.
7. What does the Girl do when she learns that the old man had been a train engineer?
(a) She is ecstatic and demands the chance to talk to the old man, when he is found.
(b) She asks to meet him with Paul.
(c) She calls him.
(d) She wants to interview him when Paul allows it.
8. Why is Mr. Morse moving silently down the stairs, waving his arms?
(a) He is trying to entertain the other guests.
(b) He is choking.
(c) He is playing a game.
(d) He is trying desperately to say something, which will not come out.
9. What does the Girl come back into the lobby and tell Mr. Katz that she finally realizes?
(a) She has a horrible job and should find a more respectable one.
(b) The hotel management company has no intentions of fixing the hot water problems or the broken elevator in the hopes that the residents will vacate early.
(c) The hotel management is lazy and does not care about its residents.
(d) Mr. Katz is trying to steal money from all of them.
10. How does Millie know this to be true?
(a) Her things are all packed.
(b) Everyone is sick of everyone else.
(c) She has lived in this hotel a very long time.
(d) Her psychic instincts validate that he is alive.
11. What is Mr. Morse finally able to say?
(a) He wants the others to join him in his game.
(b) He can finally breathe.
(c) He hopes they had a good laugh.
(d) He has been robbed.
12. What does Mr. Katz order Jackie and Jamie to do?
(a) Vacate the hotel by this evening.
(b) Pay Mr. Morse what is owed to him.
(c) Apologize to everyone.
(d) Call the cops.
13. To what does Paul turn his focus?
(a) The game of checkers being played by Mr. Morse and Jamie.
(b) The football game on the television.
(c) A beautiful girl sitting in the lobby.
(d) The commotion in the lobby.
14. What occurs on the other side of the room?
(a) Jamie and Mr. Morse are playing checkers.
(b) Jamie and Mr. Morse begin to fight about their checkers game.
(c) Jamie and Mr. Morse get into a fight over the football game.
(d) Jamie and Mr. Morse complain about the hotel falling apart around them.
15. For what does Millie try to intercede on Paul's behalf?
(a) A break from looking for his grandfather.
(b) A new room.
(c) Some peace and quiet.
(d) Some privacy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Paul not accept?
2. What does Jamie have no intentions of doing?
3. Why is Mr. Morse ready for another game of checkers?
4. How did this come about?
5. What does Jackie share with the others in the room?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)