|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jackie say to protect Jamie?
(a) He is shy.
(b) Her mother would not approve of this.
(c) His health is not good.
(d) He is not very smart.
2. What does the Girl do to Mr. Morse?
(a) She tries to talk him out of the closet.
(b) She follows him.
(c) She yells at him.
(d) She taunts him.
3. What does Mrs. Oxenham admit?
(a) She does not enjoy her job.
(b) She wishes Mr. Morse would move out.
(c) She cannot possibly remember everyone who has been at the hotel.
(d) She is tired of all the complaints.
4. What does Paul agree to do?
(a) Bring his grandfather to the Girl.
(b) Introduce the Girl to him.
(c) Have the Girl give him her address.
(d) Let the Girl call his grandfather.
5. What does Jackie do when she finally sees Jamie's blackened eye?
(a) She yells at him for acting so childishly.
(b) She wipes off the mascara.
(c) She demands to know the circumstances of the injury.
(d) She begins to laugh.
6. What does Mr. Katz finally order Jackie to do?
(a) Move out.
(b) Go to her room.
(c) Leave him alone.
(d) Move her things to another table.
7. For what does Millie apologize?
(a) Not having lived at the Hotel at the time Paul's grandfather had stayed there.
(b) Not being more helpful.
(c) Being rude.
(d) Not remembering Paul's grandfather herself.
8. With what is the Girl enraptured?
(a) The mention of the kind men.
(b) The city of Baton Rouge.
(c) The glimpse into Millie's past.
(d) The way Millie tells her story.
9. Why is Paul determined to find his grandfather?
(a) He wants to find a good nursing home for his grandfather.
(b) He wants to take care of the elderly gentleman himself, now that he is out of confinement.
(c) He was always closest to his grandfather.
(d) He wants to bring his grandfather back to live with him and his parents.
10. What does Millie remind Jackie?
(a) It is Memorial Day.
(b) Jamie is in his room.
(c) Mr. Katz may still help her, if she can avoid annoying him.
(d) The other residents will pitch in to help her.
11. What does the Girl yell through the door to Mr. Morse?
(a) Jamie is sorry.
(b) Jamie still wants to play checkers.
(c) Jamie misses you.
(d) Jamie has a black eye.
12. Where does Mr. Morse confusedly retreat?
(a) To Mr. Katz's office.
(b) To the bathroom.
(c) To the broom closet.
(d) To his room.
13. What does Jackie share with the others in the room?
(a) Her intentions to move to California and become a movie star.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) Her intention to raise organic foods on a plot of land that she purchased in Utah.
(d) A secret she has been keeping for ten years.
14. What does the Girl come back into the lobby and tell Mr. Katz that she finally realizes?
(a) She has a horrible job and should find a more respectable one.
(b) Mr. Katz is trying to steal money from all of them.
(c) The hotel management company has no intentions of fixing the hot water problems or the broken elevator in the hopes that the residents will vacate early.
(d) The hotel management is lazy and does not care about its residents.
15. How does Jackie respond?
(a) She is saddened by the news.
(b) She defiantly defends the choices she has made for herself and Jamie.
(c) She says thank you.
(d) She is shocked that the Girl would know so much.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Girl tell Jackie that she knows the particular area where Jackie has purchased land, and that it is a barren desert?
2. What is Mrs. Bellotti doing?
3. For what does Millie try to intercede on Paul's behalf?
4. What does Mrs. Oxenham yell at Paul?
5. How does Millie know this to be true?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)