|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound is made when the door of the Japanese teahouse where Henry meets Marty and Samantha in Chapter 23?
2. Who does Henry see in Chapter 27 after saying goodbye to Keiko's family?
3. What is Mr. Okabe's occupation?
4. What does Mrs. Beatty drive in Chapter 30 when she picks Henry up?
5. Who is the substitute in Henry's class in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Henry's parents say when he brings them Public Proclamation 1?
2. What does Samantha plan to have for dinner at the end of Chapter 29?
3. What does Henry buy for Keiko in Chapter 35?
4. When Henry takes Marty and Samantha to the basement of the Panama Hotel, how does Henry describe the place?
5. Where do Henry and Sheldon go in Chapter 39 and why?
6. What does Henry's father tell Henry when he is dying?
7. What does Henry's father give him in Chapter 30, and what does Henry do with it?
8. Why doesn't Henry spend the money he makes helping Mrs. Beatty at Camp Harmony?
9. What is waiting for Henry when he returns from Idaho in Chapter 43?
10. In present time, how does Henry spend time with Sheldon during his Sunday afternoon visits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Beatty supervises the lunchroom at Henry's elementary school. What type of woman does Mrs. Beatty seems to be? How do her actions reveal who she really is and what she thinks of Henry and Keiko?
Essay Topic 2
Henry is often caught between worlds. What different worlds is Henry caught between from the time he is a child until he is an adult? What different ways does he cope with those worlds and how do they affect the man, husband, and father that he becomes?
Essay Topic 3
Henry learns to think for himself in 1942. How do the events that Henry experiences in 1942 help him to grow up and mature? How do those experiences affect him all his life?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)