|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the chandelier made from at the entrance of the nursing home where Sheldon lives?
2. In Chapter 23, how long does Henry tell Marty that he has been frequenting Japanese teahouses?
3. How old is Keiko's brother in Chapter 25?
4. What day of the week does Henry go back to school in Chapter 30?
5. How old was Henry's father when he came to America and took a job as a laborer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry's father give him in Chapter 30, and what does Henry do with it?
2. What happens when Chaz threatens Henry at lunch in Chapter 30?
3. What tradition does Henry cherish at the beginning of Chapter 23?
4. When Henry takes Marty and Samantha to the basement of the Panama Hotel, how does Henry describe the place?
5. Why doesn't Henry spend the money he makes helping Mrs. Beatty at Camp Harmony?
6. Why does Sheldon take Henry into the Japanese section after the families are deported?
7. How does Chaz look when Henry saw him in Chapter 45?
8. How are leftovers dealt with in the lunchroom where Keiko and Henry work at their school?
9. Why does Keiko's father volunteer to go ahead to Camp Minidoka in Idaho?
10. Why does Henry agree to go to China in Chapter 45?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry searches the belongings in the basement of the Panama Hotel. What Is Henry searching for? How does he hope that sorting through the belongings will help him with the emptiness he has felt since his wife died?
Essay Topic 2
Henry and Keiko are the only Asian students at Rainier school. Why are they the only Asian students and how does that affect their experiences at school? Why do they put up with the difficulties in order to attend the school?
Essay Topic 3
Henry is often caught between worlds. What different worlds is Henry caught between from the time he is a child until he is an adult? What different ways does he cope with those worlds and how do they affect the man, husband, and father that he becomes?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)