|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of computer bulletin board does Mary run at college?
2. What day of the week does Henry usually visit Sheldon in the nursing home?
3. What color is the button that Henry's father gives him in Chapter 30?
4. Who is the substitute in Henry's class in Chapter 30?
5. What does Mrs. Beatty drive in Chapter 30 when she picks Henry up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are leftovers dealt with in the lunchroom where Keiko and Henry work at their school?
2. How many times has Henry heard Oscar Holden play?
3. What does Henry buy for Keiko in Chapter 35?
4. Why does Sheldon take Henry into the Japanese section after the families are deported?
5. What do Henry's parents say when he brings them Public Proclamation 1?
6. Why doesn't Henry spend the money he makes helping Mrs. Beatty at Camp Harmony?
7. What does Samantha plan to have for dinner at the end of Chapter 29?
8. How are restrictions lifted in the camp for the Japanese in Chapter 44?
9. Where did Henry's father get his education?
10. Why is Dr. Luke at Henry's home when he returns in Chapter 38?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A work assignment in the school cafeteria leads to a relationship between Henry and Keiko. What commonalities help a friendship grow between the two? Why is their relationship able to survive through separation, marriages, and time?
Essay Topic 2
Henry enjoys jazz music. How does Henry begin listening to jazz music? What does Henry enjoy about jazz music, and how is that music a comfort to him his entire life?
Essay Topic 3
Henry is only supposed to speak English at home. Why do his parents insist that he speak English, not Cantonese? Does that seem strange in view of the fact that Henry's father tells him that he will be sent to China for the rest of his education?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)