|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henry visits the camp in Idaho, about how many Japanese are interred there?
2. What is Keiko wearing when Henry first sees her at Camp Harmony?
3. In Chapter 24, what magazine does Mrs. Beatty often have after lunch?
4. What does Henry use to cover Samantha in Chapter 34?
5. What is the name of the nursing home where Henry visits Sheldon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are restrictions lifted in the camp for the Japanese in Chapter 44?
2. What does Henry's father tell Henry when he is dying?
3. Where did Henry's father get his education?
4. How are leftovers dealt with in the lunchroom where Keiko and Henry work at their school?
5. How does Mrs. Beatty help Henry smuggle in the gifts for Keiko?
6. What is the dessert that Samantha makes for Henry in Chapter 33, and why is it so special?
7. What does Henry expect to find in the kitchen in Chapter 34, and what does he find?
8. What does Samantha plan to have for dinner at the end of Chapter 29?
9. How does Chaz look when Henry saw him in Chapter 45?
10. How many times has Henry heard Oscar Holden play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry learns to think for himself in 1942. How do the events that Henry experiences in 1942 help him to grow up and mature? How do those experiences affect him all his life?
Essay Topic 2
Henry's father is pleased to think that the Japanese will be moved from the area. Why is Henry's father pleased to think the Japanese will be moved away? Why does he think that will be a benefit to him and to his fellow Chinese? What does he believe he will gain?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Beatty supervises the lunchroom at Henry's elementary school. What type of woman does Mrs. Beatty seems to be? How do her actions reveal who she really is and what she thinks of Henry and Keiko?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)