|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color hair does Marty's fiance have?
2. How many pieces are in the orchestra when Henry and Keiko hear Oscar Holden play in Chapter 12?
3. What wedding anniversary does a photo depict that Henry keeps on a coffee table in Chapter 8?
4. In Chapter 10, how long has it been since Henry visited Ethel's grave?
5. In Chapter 18, where does Henry remember that Marty wanted his mother to go when she was near the end of her days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who else is buried in Lake View Cemetery, besides Henry's wife?
2. Why is Marty worried about introducing Samantha to his father?
3. What does Henry see when he goes into the basement of the Panama Hotel?
4. What are Executive Orders, and which Executive Orders does Henry's father discuss with him in Chapter 15?
5. What are people burning in Chapter 16, and why are they burning these items?
6. What does Keiko wear when she met Henry outside the Black Elks Club?
7. Why are Saturdays special to Henry in Chapter 7?
8. What is the Sea Fortune Restaurant?
9. Where did Henry get the plum tree that he planted when Marty was born?
10. Why does Henry end up riding the wagon with all of Keiko's photos down a street?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry searches the belongings in the basement of the Panama Hotel. What Is Henry searching for? How does he hope that sorting through the belongings will help him with the emptiness he has felt since his wife died?
Essay Topic 2
Henry is looking for hope at the Panama Hotel. In what ways does Henry experience hopelessness throughout his life? What are some things that give him hope and how do those help him recover from his wife's death?
Essay Topic 3
Both Henry's father and Mr. Okabe make sacrifices for their children. What sacrifices do the two men make? Are those sacrifices based upon what is best for their children or upon what they see as being best for their children? How do the sacrifices they make affect their children?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)