|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what does the Ochi photographer tell Henry he had burned?
2. What is the name on the inside of the small suitcase Henry opens that has shaving supplies?
3. How old is Henry in Chapter 1?
4. Who is the artist on the LP that Henry buys in Chapter 8?
5. What is a breakfast favorite of Henry's father in 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are people burning in Chapter 16, and why are they burning these items?
2. What does Henry see when he goes into the basement of the Panama Hotel?
3. What does Henry take to Ethel's gravesite in Chapter 10?
4. Why does Marty come to see Henry in Chapter 18?
5. How wis Keiko's mother interested in art?
6. Who are Chaz Preston and Denny Brown?
7. Why are Chaz and his father at Henry's home when Henry arrives in Chapter 20?
8. Why does Henry feel a quiet relief that his wife is gone?
9. Why does Henry end up riding the wagon with all of Keiko's photos down a street?
10. What does Henry decide when he wonders if Ethel would approve of his digging into the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry searches the belongings in the basement of the Panama Hotel. What Is Henry searching for? How does he hope that sorting through the belongings will help him with the emptiness he has felt since his wife died?
Essay Topic 2
Henry makes a comment that we was always able to find the sweet among the bitter. In what ways is Henry able to find the sweet in life even when things are bad? How does that attitude affect his life and how he survives the experiences he has in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Henry tries to help the Okabes when they are ordered to evacuate. In what ways does Henry attempt to help the Okabes? Is he able to help them in any way? How do his efforts give the family hope?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)