|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What awakens Henry at the beginning of Chapter 21?
2. What year does Henry visit the Panama Hotel for the first time?
3. How long does it take Henry to serve lunch and clean up every day at school?
4. What does Henry use to get transport Keiko's memorabilia to his home?
5. What does Henry like to do on the corner of Jackson and Maynard in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Keiko wear when she met Henry outside the Black Elks Club?
2. What does Henry decide when he wonders if Ethel would approve of his digging into the past?
3. Why does Henry feel a quiet relief that his wife is gone?
4. Why is Marty worried about introducing Samantha to his father?
5. Why does Marty come to see Henry in Chapter 18?
6. What is Henry's son's, Marty, major in college, and how is he doing at college?
7. What are Executive Orders, and which Executive Orders does Henry's father discuss with him in Chapter 15?
8. What does Henry take to Ethel's gravesite in Chapter 10?
9. Why does Henry go to Bud's Jazz Records?
10. What commotion does Henry see at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marty is engaged to be married. How is his relationship with Samantha similar and dissimilar to his father's relationship with Ethel? Why is Marty free to marry outside his race and Henry was not?
Essay Topic 2
Henry makes a comment that we was always able to find the sweet among the bitter. In what ways is Henry able to find the sweet in life even when things are bad? How does that attitude affect his life and how he survives the experiences he has in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Marty makes assumptions about his father. What assumptions does Marty make about Henry? How are his assumptions proved to be wrong? How does realizing that he has been wrong about his father affect the relationship Marty has with Henry?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)