|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of flowers does Henry put on Ethel's grave in Chapter 10?
2. What color upholstered chairs does Henry see workers throwing out the window of the Nippon Kan in Chapter 9?
3. How does Henry get to and from the Lake View Cemetery?
4. In Chapter 10, how long has it been since Henry visited Ethel's grave?
5. What does Henry use to get transport Keiko's memorabilia to his home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry see when he goes into the basement of the Panama Hotel?
2. What is the Sea Fortune Restaurant?
3. How does Henry get permission to look through the belongings in the basement of the Panama Hotel?
4. What does Henry take to Ethel's gravesite in Chapter 10?
5. What does Keiko wear when she met Henry outside the Black Elks Club?
6. What is Henry's son's, Marty, major in college, and how is he doing at college?
7. What does Henry decide when he wonders if Ethel would approve of his digging into the past?
8. How does Henry remember the way that Ethel dealt with hair loss from her cancer treatments?
9. How much does Marty know about Henry's childhood?
10. Why is Marty worried about introducing Samantha to his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry and Keiko experience racism. What instances of racism are there in the novel? How does that treatment affect the them, their families, and people they know?
Essay Topic 2
Henry is often caught between worlds. What different worlds is Henry caught between from the time he is a child until he is an adult? What different ways does he cope with those worlds and how do they affect the man, husband, and father that he becomes?
Essay Topic 3
Henry searches the belongings in the basement of the Panama Hotel. What Is Henry searching for? How does he hope that sorting through the belongings will help him with the emptiness he has felt since his wife died?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)