|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shortly after arriving in Vienna, what do Frank and John find Susie and Franny doing?
2. Who ends up living with Frank in New York?
3. What is Miss Miscarriage's role to be in the radicals' plan?
4. Who ends up taking Sorrow on the plane?
5. Why does John tell his family about the radicals' plan to hold them hostage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Susie and John end up raising Franny and Junior's baby?
2. Which characters begin to take in the Berry children more after their mother dies -- and why?
3. Why does Win want a dog?
4. What comments do Lilly and Susie make about the sexual tension between Franny and John before they sleep together?
5. What is the ultimate goal of the family's revenge plan on Chip?
6. Why does John start to cry when he is getting drinks with Win before they confront the radicals?
7. As his family is discussing the radicals' plot, why does John say he and his family are not good foreigners?
8. Who does John lie to his father about their third hotel being up and running?
9. How did Franny get her name?
10. How did Egg get his name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franny and John's sexual encounter is one of the most controversial aspects of "The Hotel New Hampshire." Discuss whether or not this scene should have been included in this story, and why Irving included it. Make sure to use direct evidence from the novel to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two minor guests at the second Hotel New Hampshire, making sure to discuss how, even as minor characters, they contribute to the novel and its larger theme(s).
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Susie and Franny's relationship over the course of the novel, using direct quotations and examples from the text to support your analysis.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)