|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is leading the group of football players that stops Franny and John on Halloween night?
2. What day does the Berry family move into their first Hotel New Hampshire?
3. Where is Chip continually pushing Frank's face as he is tormenting him?
4. How does Win plan to get money to open his hotel?
5. What school did Mary attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the sleeping arrangements change after Coach Bob dies?
2. Why is John so nervous about having sex with Sabrina?
3. What are the sleeping arrangements for the Berry family once they move into the hotel?
4. How do Win and Mary handle all the people -- including their children -- having sex in their hotel?
5. How does Coach Bob react to Franny and John's scheme to anger the football players?
6. Why are Win and Mary looking forward to their summer jobs so much when they meet?
7. Why has Egg hidden Sorrow in the bathroom?
8. What do the Berry children insist about the story being told at the beginning of the novel?
9. What does the school do in honor of Coach Bob's final season as coach?
10. How does "State O' Maine" die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What four functions does Coach Bob serve in "The Hotel New Hampshire"? Make sure to use specific quotations and/or examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Susie and Franny's relationship over the course of the novel, using direct quotations and examples from the text to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Franny and Frank's relationship throughout "The Hotel New Hampshire." How is it functional? How is it dysfunctional? Is it loving? Why or why not?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)