|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cuts down the family Christmas tree?
2. Who do Franny and John hear begin intimate in the hotel in secret soon after the rivalry football game?
3. Who attacks John one day while he is at school?
4. What happens to Mary's old school?
5. Who does the visitor have sex with on the night of the football rivalry game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Egg hidden Sorrow in the bathroom?
2. How does Franny react to Frank coming out to her and John about being gay?
3. How do Win and Mary handle all the people -- including their children -- having sex in their hotel?
4. How does Junior Jones help John get better at lifting weights?
5. Why is John so nervous about having sex with Sabrina?
6. Why are Win and Mary looking forward to their summer jobs so much when they meet?
7. What happens to Howard Tuck when the electricity comes back on in the Hotel New Hampshire on Halloween night?
8. Why would Coach Bob have refused to coach the expelled players had they been allowed to remain on the team?
9. How does Win react to Freud's letter during the New Year's party?
10. How does the family handle Lilly's diagnosis of dwarfism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze what ultimately happens to Sorrow and what larger themes his death -- and his stuffing and preservation -- address in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two minor guests at the second Hotel New Hampshire, making sure to discuss how, even as minor characters, they contribute to the novel and its larger theme(s).
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Susie and Franny's relationship over the course of the novel, using direct quotations and examples from the text to support your analysis.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)