|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "The Hotel New Hampshire" published?
2. Why does Frank collapse on the floor after his fight with Franny?
3. What happens to the students who attack Franny?
4. What school did Mary attend?
5. What do the children object to during the opening story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the school do in honor of Coach Bob's final season as coach?
2. How does Franny react to Frank coming out to her and John about being gay?
3. What do Franny and John do to get even with the football players after John is attacked?
4. Why does Franny attack Frank?
5. What is so exceptional about Sorrow?
6. Why is John so nervous about having sex with Sabrina?
7. Who is "State O' Maine"?
8. How does John finally convince Harold Swallow to release him from the net on Halloween night?
9. Why is there a break in the quick succession that Mary and Win have their children in?
10. Why would Coach Bob have refused to coach the expelled players had they been allowed to remain on the team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What four functions does Coach Bob serve in "The Hotel New Hampshire"? Make sure to use specific quotations and/or examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Franny and John have a closer relationship with each other than they do with any of their other siblings. Describe three reasons this is OR is not true and what from the text, specifically, most informs your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least 4 things Irving introduces in "The Bear Called State O' Maine" about the Berry family that become significant by the end of the novel. Make sure to address how and why these 4 things are significant later.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)