|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to the candy store next door to the hotel in Vienna?
(a) It has turned into a cigar store.
(b) It never existed.
(c) It now sells clothes.
(d) It has burned down.
2. What does "Wrench" do?
(a) Work on a car that never seems driveable.
(b) Graffiti wrenches all over the hotel all the time.
(c) Always seem to break everything he touches.
(d) Handle all the repair work in the second Hotel New Hampshire.
3. How many radicals does Franny sleep with the night before the radicals execute their plot?
4. Why does Freud fear calling the authorities about the radicals' plot?
(a) He agrees with the political statement they want to make.
(b) He agrees with what they want to do.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) He thinks they will be guilty by association.
5. What do Freud and Win hope to attract by naming their Vienna hotel the Hotel New Hampshire?
(a) People to come visit the prostitutes.
(c) The American President, when he visits.
(d) American tourists.
6. What hotel does the family stay in when they return to the United States after Vienna?
(a) The Stanhope.
(b) The Goldwater Hotel.
(c) The Ritz.
(d) A hotel the reader never learns the name of.
7. When they first meet, what does Susie think about how Franny has handled her own experience being raped?
(a) That she has never really dealt with it.
(b) That she has handled it really, really well.
(c) That she should be an example to others about how to handle it positively.
(d) That she's just beginning to work on it.
8. Who insists that the family learn about Vienna before they move there?
9. Why are the prostitutes at the hotel in Vienna not a problem?
(a) Because no one knows they are prostitutes.
(b) Because prostitution is legal there.
(c) Because they bring in good guests for the hotel.
(d) Because they'll be gone by the time the Berrys arrive.
10. Where are Frank and Lilly while John and Franny are intimate with each other?
(a) On vacation.
(b) At a literary lunch.
(c) Trapped in the hotel elevator.
(d) At a book signing.
11. What is Egg's room like in the Vienna hotel?
(a) Very small with no windows.
(b) Small but with a lot of windows.
(c) Huge but with no windows.
(d) Not very much floor space but very, very tall.
12. Who do the radicals decide will drive their car bomb since Miss Miscarriage is dead?
13. Who is Fritz?
(a) The owner/manager of the circus.
(b) A nice neighbor who helps with the hotel from time to time.
(c) Lilly's imaginary friend.
(d) John's new friend from school.
14. What has happened to Freud's eyesight during the time the family was managing their own hotel back in the States?
(a) This is a trick question; none of these answers is correct.
(b) His eyesight has somehow drastically improved.
(c) His eyesight has gotten much worse; he is blind.
(d) One of his eyes works better, the other works much worse.
15. How many prostitutes does John sleep with the night before the radicals execute their plot?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Lily's first book?
2. What dream does John have about his mother before they depart for Vienna?
3. Under what conditions will the owner sell the third hotel that Win wants to buy?
4. How does Rhonda feel about the family's move to Vienna?
5. Who ends up living with Frank in New York?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)