|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bob eat?
2. For whom had the dead man worked?
3. Who grabs Bob?
4. What does the kidnapper want?
5. Where does Stephanie go to check on the liquidation of stolen property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Alexander means when he says Homer killed himself?
2. How is the farcical nature of this novel even more evident in Chapter 11?
3. What does Stephanie's grandma buy and what do you think this symbolizes?
4. Why do you think Stephanie is so amenable to doing what Ranger asks her to do?
5. What does Evanovich do organizationally that helps keep the reader turning the pages?
6. Stephanie has bad luck with cars--do you think this is her fault?
7. Do you think where Stephanie shoots Munson is intentional?
8. What is Stephanie's response to Ranger's warning about the Ramos family?
9. Why do you think Stephanie goes to the trouble to buy an alarm at Radio Shack just to catch Ranger sneaking into her house?
10. Stephanie manages to get to her gun and shoot Munson in the foot. It seems unlikely that Stephanie under the stress of the circumstances intentionally aims and shoots Munson in the foot. What is more likely to have happened is that she pointed the gun and pulled the trigger and it happened to hit Munson in the foot.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Joe Morelli to Ranger.
2. Compare/contrast the relationship of Joe to Stephanie to that of Ranger to Stephanie.
3. Compare/contrast the type of "community" in which Stephanie lives to your own.
Essay Topic 2
This novel belongs to the general literary category of fiction and the genre of detective fiction, although it has characteristics of other genres also. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term genre.
2. Why do you think books are categorized by genre? What are the advantages? The disadvantages?
3. Discuss in what ways you think Hot Six belongs to the detective fiction genre.
4. To what other genres could this book possibly belong?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)