|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Grandma returning to Stephanie's parents' home?
2. Who does Stephanie talk to about her conversation with Alexander?
3. Where does Mooner overhear a conversation about Homer and Arturo?
4. Who pulls a gun on Stephanie?
5. What does Ranger say when he calls Stephanie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cynthia at the townhouse and how does the information she offers and her actions at the townhouse inform her character?
2. What theme concerning the relationship between Morelli and Stephanie seems to be a thread in Hot Six?
3. How does Stephanie's relationship to Mitchell and Habib change in this section?
4. What does Ranger tell Stephanie when he stops her while she is out walking the dog and do you think Morelli had a hand in Ranger's decision?
5. What is the parallel between Stephanie and cars, and Ranger and dead bodies?
6. What is one thing that is ironic about how Stephanie and Lula manage to finally get Munson into her car?
7. Stephanie manages to get to her gun and shoot Munson in the foot. It seems unlikely that Stephanie under the stress of the circumstances intentionally aims and shoots Munson in the foot. What is more likely to have happened is that she pointed the gun and pulled the trigger and it happened to hit Munson in the foot.
8. Do you think it is right of Stephanie to ram Joyce's SUV with the Buick?
9. Do you think where Stephanie shoots Munson is intentional?
10. Do you think Stephanie is going beyond what Ranger asked her to do as far as the Ramos case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephanie's relationship to men is often laced with sexual innuendo. At the opening of the novel, Stephanie is wondering if her mother's worst fear has come true: she's a nymphomaniac, lusting after lots of men. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of nymphomaniac?
2. Is Stephanie truly a nymphomaniac? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Stephanie actually lusts after lots of men? Or just two men in particular?
4. Why do you think Stephanie is actually quite restrained in what she does with her feelings of attraction?
Essay Topic 2
This novel belongs to the general literary category of fiction and the genre of detective fiction, although it has characteristics of other genres also. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term genre.
2. Why do you think books are categorized by genre? What are the advantages? The disadvantages?
3. Discuss in what ways you think Hot Six belongs to the detective fiction genre.
4. To what other genres could this book possibly belong?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the follow to discuss:
1. Discuss the theme of women in non-traditional roles.
2. Discuss the theme of frustration.
3. Discuss the theme of male chauvinism.
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)