|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks Stephanie when the senior Ramos greets Hannibal?
2. Who is Ranger?
3. What does the caller want?
4. It appears that Bob is part _____________ breed.
5. Where is Homer found with a bullet in his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the interrelationships in this story suggest a sense of community?
2. What is Stephanie's occupation and does this seem a likely one for her?
3. How is the presence of Mooner sitting with Grandma when Stepahine is getting ready for work farcical?
4. What does the reader know about Ranger so far and why do you think Stephanie declines to take on the skip recovery, who happens to be Ranger?
5. Munson can probably be characterized as a misogynist--what do you think that word means based on what you have read about Munson?
6. What are one or two ways Stephanie demonstrates a piece (flaw?) in her personality as far as rescuing people?
7. Why do you think Ranger comes on to Stephanie when he knows she's involved with Joe Morelli?
8. Why is Stephanie trying to take Munson in to the police station?
9. Do you think Stephanie's feelings for Ranger will interfere in her relationship with Joe Morelli?
10. After Munson rams Mitchell and Habib's car, probably in pursuit of Stephanie, is there now reason for Stephanie to drop this case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
A number of characters in Hot Six are people who are living on the wrong side of the law, or at the very least at the edge of legality. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze two characters who live in the "grey zone" between legal and illegal (not those who are mobster types such as the Ramos family members or Stolle).
2. Compare/contrast Stephanie's attitudes towards lawbreakers versus that of Joe Morelli.
3. Compare/contrast Joe Morelli's attitudes towards lawbreakers versus that of Ranger.
Essay Topic 3
In any detective novel, there are clues that point both to the real criminal(s) versus those that are designed to mislead the readers in order to add suspense. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze 5 clues that are designed to let the astute reader figure out who is the criminal(s).
2. Trace and analyze 5 clues that are designed to mislead even the astute reader in figuring out who is the criminal(s).
3. Do you enjoy being mislead in a mystery/suspense novel? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)