|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Officer not want on the Soldier's conscience?
2. What are the marchers doing?
3. Teresa catches the Soldier looking around the room, and at first he says he is only looking for an ashtray, but then admits what?
4. What do Teresa and the Soldier hear?
5. When Monsewer comes in with Pat, what are they discussing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Teresa is revealed as a humanist.
Part 1) How is she revealed as a humanist? What does her compassion foreshadow?
Part 2) How do Teresa's humanist views play into the tension of the play?
Part 3) What is the purpose for Teresa's character? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
There is a sense of vaudeville or music hall.
Part 1) How is this play like a vaudeville or music hall show?
Part 2) What is the playwright's purpose for using this style?
Part 3) Is this stylistic choice successful? Why or why not?
Part 4) If you could change anything about this play, what would it be, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Various characters are symbolic.
Part 1) How are the characters symbolic? Why are they each symbolic?
Part 2) How do they evolve throughout the play? What is the purpose of this evolution?
Part 3) What message does the playwright want the audience to take away from these symbolic characters, as well as how they evolve and are developed throughout the play.
This section contains 1,406 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)