|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Gilchrist think about the Royal Family?
2. What do Teresa and the Soldier hear?
3. What do Princess Grace, Mulleady, and other tenants come in to do?
4. Who did Teresa help when she was a child?
5. What does the Officer say when the Soldier says he does not know anything about the business done by the British?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Various characters are symbolic.
Part 1) How are the characters symbolic? Why are they each symbolic?
Part 2) How do they evolve throughout the play? What is the purpose of this evolution?
Part 3) What message does the playwright want the audience to take away from these symbolic characters, as well as how they evolve and are developed throughout the play.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of "prisoner" is discussed.
Part 1) Who are the prisoners in this story? How are they prisoners?
Part 2) How is this concept explored in this story? Why?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for exploring the concept of prisoner?
Essay Topic 3
The play makes several points about religion.
Part 1) How is religion brought up in this play?
Part 2) What does this story say about religion? How does this reflect the centuries old tension between Ireland and England?
Part 3) Is there conflict between religion and patriotism? Why or why not? Does this type of conflict exist anywhere else in the world? Explain.
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)