|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Irish prisoner in jail?
2. When the Soldier describes their situation as war, about what does Meg speak angrily?
3. About which soldier is the article talking?
4. What does the Officer say when the Soldier says he does not know anything about the business done by the British?
5. What do the Officer and the Volunteer do as Pat, Meg and Miss Gilchrist sit, drink, sing, and bicker over whether Pat was a good soldier in the cause of the IRA?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of "prisoner" is discussed.
Part 1) Who are the prisoners in this story? How are they prisoners?
Part 2) How is this concept explored in this story? Why?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for exploring the concept of prisoner?
Essay Topic 2
The play makes several points about religion.
Part 1) How is religion brought up in this play?
Part 2) What does this story say about religion? How does this reflect the centuries old tension between Ireland and England?
Part 3) Is there conflict between religion and patriotism? Why or why not? Does this type of conflict exist anywhere else in the world? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
It is difficult to understand this play without some idea of the long-standing battle waged by the IRA for Ireland's independence from Great Britain.
Part 1) Describe this battle, based on class discussions and information from the play.
Part 2) What does this play reveal about this battle?
Part 3) Based on this play, how successful is the IRA? Why?
Part 4) How are the Irish and British of today affected by this battle? How does it also affect others outside this part of the world?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)