|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the officer tell Meg and Teresa to do?
2. What does the IRA officer come in and do?
3. What do Pat and Meg talk briefly about when Monsewer leaves?
4. This story explores themes relating to what?
5. Why is this person playing the bagpipes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in the conversation between Teresa and the Soldier?
2. About what is the article? How do the various characters react?
3. How does the conversation between Teresa and the Soldier end?
4. With what does Teresa rush in?
5. What does Pat tell the Soldier about his situation?
6. What does the Soldier do when Teresa enters the room?
7. How do the other characters react, when Meg finishes her song?
8. What do Pat and Meg think about the kidnapping of the British soldier?
9. What transitions into the first scene?
10. What is revealed about Teresa in this scene?
Essay Topic 1
An historical point about Queen Victoria is made.
Part 1) What is the point? Why is it made?
Part 2) What does this story reveal about Ireland at the time of this play?
Part 3) How has this event created tension in Ireland? How has this event affected the Irish people as well as others around the world?
Essay Topic 2
Teresa is revealed as a humanist.
Part 1) How is she revealed as a humanist? What does her compassion foreshadow?
Part 2) How do Teresa's humanist views play into the tension of the play?
Part 3) What is the purpose for Teresa's character? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
The play is filled with stereotypes.
Part 1) How is the play filled with stereotypes? What begins to break down these stereotypes?
Part 2) How are these stereotypes broken down? Why are they broken down?
Part 3) How are these stereotypes seen in real life? Is this a true reflection of real life? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,193 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)