|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This raucous comedy-drama tells the parallel stories of what two people?
2. What do Pat and Meg say about Monsewer's history?
3. Why does Mulleady become angry at Princess Grace?
4. What circumstances do Meg and Pat discuss?
5. What do various characters say about the Soldier?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the play end?
2. What news does Monsewer have for Pat?
3. Why does Meg appear? What does the Officer think of this?
4. How does the scene end?
5. How does Teresa act when she finds out the Officer did not give the Soldier the cigarettes? How does the Soldier respond?
6. What does the IRA officer come in and do?
7. What happens when gunshots are heard?
8. What does Pat tell Teresa to do? How will he reward her? How does she respond?
9. Who does Miss Gilchrist want to leave with her? Why can this character not leave?
10. What does Monsewer want to do with the Soldier? To what does this lead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play makes several points about religion.
Part 1) How is religion brought up in this play?
Part 2) What does this story say about religion? How does this reflect the centuries old tension between Ireland and England?
Part 3) Is there conflict between religion and patriotism? Why or why not? Does this type of conflict exist anywhere else in the world? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There is a feeling of suspense at several points throughout this play.
Part 1) Describe two of these points. Why does this suspense exist?
Part 2) How is this suspense affected by the vaudeville feel of the play? What is the purpose of the vaudeville feel of the play in regards to the suspense in this play?
Part 3) How does this suspense affect the reader or audience member? Why?
Essay Topic 3
It is difficult to understand this play without some idea of the long-standing battle waged by the IRA for Ireland's independence from Great Britain.
Part 1) Describe this battle, based on class discussions and information from the play.
Part 2) What does this play reveal about this battle?
Part 3) Based on this play, how successful is the IRA? Why?
Part 4) How are the Irish and British of today affected by this battle? How does it also affect others outside this part of the world?
This section contains 2,161 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)