Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After saying she will pray for everyone, what does Miss Gilchrist do?
2. What takes place suddenly in this story?
3. How does Meg react to this news about Mulleady?
4. This raucous comedy-drama tells the parallel stories of what two people?
5. How does Teresa feel about Monsewer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat tell the Soldier about his situation?
2. What do Meg and Pat say about Monsewer's past?
3. How do Teresa and Meg feel about Monsewer?
4. About what does Pat sing?
5. What is revealed about Mulleady and Meg in the beginning of this scene?
6. How does Teresa act when she finds out the Officer did not give the Soldier the cigarettes? How does the Soldier respond?
7. What transitions into the first scene?
8. How do the other characters react, when Meg finishes her song?
9. Why is Monsewer playing the bagpipes?
10. What does Pat have to say about his first meeting with Monsewer?
All of the characters are "prisoners."
Part 1) How is each character a "prisoner?"
Part 2) Are they able to escape? Why or why not?
Part 3) How are people prisoners in real life? How do these hostage situations in the story reflect real life?
The play makes several points about religion.
Part 1) How is religion brought up in this play?
Part 2) What does this story say about religion? How does this reflect the centuries old tension between Ireland and England?
Part 3) Is there conflict between religion and patriotism? Why or why not? Does this type of conflict exist anywhere else in the world? Explain.
Foreshadowing is used throughout this story.
Part 1) Give two examples of foreshadowing. What is the purpose for this foreshadowing? What is coming in the story, and why?
Part 2) Is foreshadowing typically used to indicate the coming of positive events, or negative? Defend your answer.
Part 3) How does this foreshadowing reinforce the themes, sub-themes, and the plot?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)