|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Meg and Pat say Monsewer studied?
2. This person who will soon be arriving is what?
3. How does Monsewer go out after hearing this news?
4. This story explores themes relating to what?
5. What does Meg tearfully tell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Meg sees Teresa?
2. What is this play about?
3. What is revealed about Teresa in this scene?
4. What do Meg and Pat say about money?
5. How did Monsewer come about his name?
6. With what does Princess Grace enter?
7. About what is the article? How do the various characters react?
8. What takes place while the Officer is thinking?
9. What does Pat have to say about his first meeting with Monsewer?
10. What does Pat tell Teresa to do? How will he reward her? How does she respond?
Essay Topic 1
A sub-theme of the play is no matter who and what these people are and what they do to survive, patriotism in the name of Ireland is the one noble value they have in their lives.
Part 1) How does one know this is a sub-theme?
Part 2) How does this sub-theme reflect the beliefs of the characters in this play?
Part 3) Does this type of patriotism exist anywhere else in the world? If so, where and why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is a sense of vaudeville or music hall.
Part 1) How is this play like a vaudeville or music hall show?
Part 2) What is the playwright's purpose for using this style?
Part 3) Is this stylistic choice successful? Why or why not?
Part 4) If you could change anything about this play, what would it be, and why?
Essay Topic 3
There is tension between the various characters.
Part 1) Give two examples of tension. Why does this tension exist?
Part 2) How is this tension affected by the play's vaudeville style? Why?
Part 3) How does this tension imitate real life?
This section contains 1,909 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)