|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the IRA?
2. How did Monsewer choose his title?
3. When does the Soldier say those who are parted will all be brought together?
4. After a brief argument what does Mulleady do?
5. Why does Meg tell Teresa to stop thinking about this person's fate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Meg react to Princess Grace's news? How do the others respond?
2. What does the IRA officer come in and do?
3. How does Miss Gilchrist respond when the others angrily ask her about her name?
4. What does the Soldier do as he enters the scene?
5. What takes place while the Officer is thinking?
6. What transitions into the first scene?
7. What does Miss Gilchrist do for the Soldier?
8. How did Monsewer come about his name?
9. How do the other characters react, when Meg finishes her song?
10. For what does the Soldier ask? Does he get it? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of "prisoner" is discussed.
Part 1) Who are the prisoners in this story? How are they prisoners?
Part 2) How is this concept explored in this story? Why?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for exploring the concept of prisoner?
Essay Topic 2
The kidnapping of the British soldier can be seen as symbolic.
Part 1) Why is he kidnapped? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) What is the purpose of his death? Is it symbolic? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What other examples of symbolism exist in this story? What is the purpose of this symbolism? What message does the playwright send the audience through this symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
Musical interludes and dark humor are repeated throughout the play.
Part 1) Describe two of these moments. Why do they take place?
Part 2) What is the overall purpose for these musical interludes and dark humor? Of what performance styles does this remind you? Why?
Part 3) Does this enhance the story? Why or why not? What is the playwright's purpose for using this music and humor?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)