|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Pat and Meg say about Monsewer's history?
2. Pat has a long history of disagreements with whom?
3. Why had Teresa left a convent?
4. Monsewer comes in, checking with Pat to make sure about what?
5. The Officer says the prisoner will be arriving soon but what?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what does the Soldier ask? Does he get it? Why or why not?
2. What transitions into the first scene?
3. What do Meg and Pat think about the treaty that was signed?
4. How does the conversation between Teresa and the Soldier end?
5. What do Meg and Pat say about Monsewer's past?
6. With what does Princess Grace enter?
7. What takes place in the conversation between Teresa and the Soldier?
8. What do Pat and Meg think about the kidnapping of the British soldier?
9. With what does Teresa rush in?
10. About what is the article? How do the various characters react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Musical interludes and dark humor are repeated throughout the play.
Part 1) Describe two of these moments. Why do they take place?
Part 2) What is the overall purpose for these musical interludes and dark humor? Of what performance styles does this remind you? Why?
Part 3) Does this enhance the story? Why or why not? What is the playwright's purpose for using this music and humor?
Essay Topic 2
The last scene contains sudden violence.
Part 1) Describe this sudden violence. Why is it so sudden?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this sudden violence? How does it support the theme?
Part 3) What message is sent to the audience through this violence?
Essay Topic 3
Pat makes a comment about H-bombs.
Part 1) What is the comment that he makes? Why does he make this comment?
Part 2) How is this comment important to the play and the message sent by the playwright to the audience?
Part 3) What is the connection between this comment and the soldier's song at the end of the act? What is the purpose for this connection?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)