|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he comes in, the Soldier does what?
2. Of what is Monsewer the owner?
3. When she is gone, what does Monsewer tell Pat?
4. How does Monsewer go out after hearing this news?
5. What do various characters say about the Soldier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when gunshots are heard?
2. How does Miss Gilchrist respond when the others angrily ask her about her name?
3. What do Meg and Pat think about the treaty that was signed?
4. How does Meg react to Princess Grace's news? How do the others respond?
5. Who does Miss Gilchrist want to leave with her? Why can this character not leave?
6. What is revealed about Teresa in this scene?
7. How does Pat feel about the way that Meg talks to him?
8. Why is Monsewer playing the bagpipes?
9. What do Pat and Meg think about the kidnapping of the British soldier?
10. What does the Soldier ask the Volunteer? What is the Volunteer's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is tension between the various characters.
Part 1) Give two examples of tension. Why does this tension exist?
Part 2) How is this tension affected by the play's vaudeville style? Why?
Part 3) How does this tension imitate real life?
Essay Topic 2
Princess Grace makes a comment about the censor.
Part 1) What is the censor? What is the censor's purpose?
Part 2) How does this affect Ireland?
Part 3) How does it increase tension between Ireland and England? Are censors used in other parts of the world? Do they create such tension? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Act 3, Part 2 is climactic.
Part 1) Describe this section. How is it climactic?
Part 2) What purpose does this section serve? How has the vaudeville feel of the play affected this climactic section?
Part 3) How does this climactic section relate to real life? What is the purpose of this?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)