|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does his missing leg have to do with his conversation with Meg?
2. Why can Mulleady not leave with Miss Gilchrist?
3. What do Pat and Meg say about Monsewer's history?
4. When she is gone, what does Monsewer tell Pat?
5. What is Miss Gilchrist heard doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Meg and Pat think about the treaty that was signed?
2. How do Teresa and Meg feel about Monsewer?
3. How does Meg react when the Soldier describes their situation as war?
4. Of what does the Soldier try to convince Meg?
5. What happens when gunshots are heard?
6. How does Meg respond to Pat's comment about the house being little more than a brothel? How does he reassure her?
7. What happens when Mulleady asks about the shirts Meg was to have laundered?
8. What takes place while the Officer is thinking?
9. What transitions into the first scene?
10. Why does Meg appear? What does the Officer think of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the characters are "prisoners."
Part 1) How is each character a "prisoner?"
Part 2) Are they able to escape? Why or why not?
Part 3) How are people prisoners in real life? How do these hostage situations in the story reflect real life?
Essay Topic 2
The play makes several points about religion.
Part 1) How is religion brought up in this play?
Part 2) What does this story say about religion? How does this reflect the centuries old tension between Ireland and England?
Part 3) Is there conflict between religion and patriotism? Why or why not? Does this type of conflict exist anywhere else in the world? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used throughout this story.
Part 1) Give two examples of foreshadowing. What is the purpose for this foreshadowing? What is coming in the story, and why?
Part 2) Is foreshadowing typically used to indicate the coming of positive events, or negative? Defend your answer.
Part 3) How does this foreshadowing reinforce the themes, sub-themes, and the plot?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)