|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the caretakers?
2. After saying she will pray for everyone, what does Miss Gilchrist do?
3. As Pat comments on how pretty Teresa is, what does Meg say?
4. How does Pat try to reassure her?
5. As he comes in, the Soldier does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Meg sees Teresa?
2. What does the Officer ask about Teresa? What is Pat's response?
3. What does the Soldier ask the Volunteer? What is the Volunteer's response?
4. What takes place in the conversation between Teresa and the Soldier?
5. What happens when Teresa enters the room?
6. What happens when Mulleady asks about the shirts Meg was to have laundered?
7. What is revealed about the Soldier?
8. How does Meg react when the Soldier describes their situation as war?
9. What does Pat tell the Soldier about his situation?
10. What do Meg and Pat say about Monsewer's past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Teresa is revealed as a humanist. Part 1) How is she revealed as a humanist? What does her compassion foreshadow? Part 2) How do Teresa's humanist views play into the tension of the play? Part 3) What is the purpose for Teresa's character? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2There is a sense of vaudeville or music hall. Part 1) How is this play like a vaudeville or music hall show? Part 2) What is the playwright's purpose for using this style? Part 3) Is this stylistic choice successful? Why or why not? Part 4) If you could change anything about this play, what would it be, and why?
Essay Topic 3It is difficult to understand this play without some idea of the long-standing battle waged by the IRA for Ireland's independence from Great Britain. Part 1) Describe this battle, based on class discussions and information from the play. Part 2) What does this play reveal about this battle? Part 3) Based on this play, how successful is the IRA? Why? Part 4) How are the Irish and British of today affected by this battle? How does it also affect others outside this part of the world?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)