|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meg tell Teresa about Monswer?
2. Who speaks angrily to the characters?
3. The Officer says the prisoner will be arriving soon but what?
4. Pat comments that when he first arrived, Monsewer spoke nothing but what?
5. About what does Mulleady complain, regarding his shirts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the IRA officer come in and do?
2. How does the conversation between Teresa and the Soldier end?
3. What does the Officer ask about Teresa? What is Pat's response?
4. For what does the Soldier ask? Does he get it? Why or why not?
5. What news does Monsewer have for Pat?
6. What does the Soldier do as he enters the scene?
7. When Meg returns, about what do she and Pat argue?
8. How does Pat feel about the way that Meg talks to him?
9. What do Pat and Meg think about the kidnapping of the British soldier?
10. What does the Soldier do when Teresa enters the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The kidnapping of the British soldier can be seen as symbolic.
Part 1) Why is he kidnapped? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) What is the purpose of his death? Is it symbolic? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What other examples of symbolism exist in this story? What is the purpose of this symbolism? What message does the playwright send the audience through this symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
Princess Grace makes a comment about the censor.
Part 1) What is the censor? What is the censor's purpose?
Part 2) How does this affect Ireland?
Part 3) How does it increase tension between Ireland and England? Are censors used in other parts of the world? Do they create such tension? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used throughout this story.
Part 1) Give two examples of foreshadowing. What is the purpose for this foreshadowing? What is coming in the story, and why?
Part 2) Is foreshadowing typically used to indicate the coming of positive events, or negative? Defend your answer.
Part 3) How does this foreshadowing reinforce the themes, sub-themes, and the plot?
This section contains 1,897 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)