|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks angrily to the characters?
2. What do Meg and Teresa do when they see the British soldier in the doorway?
3. When he is finished, he and Meg talk further about what?
4. What does Pat promise to sing?
5. Why had Teresa left a convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat tell the Soldier about his situation?
2. What do Meg and Pat say about money?
3. How does the conversation between Teresa and the Soldier end?
4. About what is the article? How do the various characters react?
5. How does Teresa act when she finds out the Officer did not give the Soldier the cigarettes? How does the Soldier respond?
6. What does the Soldier ask the Volunteer? What is the Volunteer's response?
7. What takes place while Teresa is under the bed?
8. What happens when Meg sees Teresa?
9. Why does Meg appear? What does the Officer think of this?
10. How does Meg respond to Pat's comment about the house being little more than a brothel? How does he reassure her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The last scene contains sudden violence.
Part 1) Describe this sudden violence. Why is it so sudden?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this sudden violence? How does it support the theme?
Part 3) What message is sent to the audience through this violence?
Essay Topic 2
An historical point about Queen Victoria is made.
Part 1) What is the point? Why is it made?
Part 2) What does this story reveal about Ireland at the time of this play?
Part 3) How has this event created tension in Ireland? How has this event affected the Irish people as well as others around the world?
Essay Topic 3
There is a feeling of suspense at several points throughout this play.
Part 1) Describe two of these points. Why does this suspense exist?
Part 2) How is this suspense affected by the vaudeville feel of the play? What is the purpose of the vaudeville feel of the play in regards to the suspense in this play?
Part 3) How does this suspense affect the reader or audience member? Why?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)