|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the IRA?
2. What does the officer tell Meg and Teresa to do?
3. Why does Meg feel betrayed?
4. What does the IRA officer come in and do?
5. Of what is Monsewer the owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Meg sees Teresa?
2. How does the conversation between Teresa and the Soldier end?
3. When Meg returns, about what do she and Pat argue?
4. How did Monsewer come about his name?
5. What does the Soldier ask the Volunteer? What is the Volunteer's response?
6. What happens when gunshots are heard?
7. What happens when Mulleady asks about the shirts Meg was to have laundered?
8. What story does Teresa tell?
9. What story does Pat tell, after the Soldier demands to know what he did to deserve this treatment?
10. What takes place while the Officer is thinking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Princess Grace makes a comment about the censor.
Part 1) What is the censor? What is the censor's purpose?
Part 2) How does this affect Ireland?
Part 3) How does it increase tension between Ireland and England? Are censors used in other parts of the world? Do they create such tension? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is a feeling of suspense at several points throughout this play.
Part 1) Describe two of these points. Why does this suspense exist?
Part 2) How is this suspense affected by the vaudeville feel of the play? What is the purpose of the vaudeville feel of the play in regards to the suspense in this play?
Part 3) How does this suspense affect the reader or audience member? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Various characters are symbolic.
Part 1) How are the characters symbolic? Why are they each symbolic?
Part 2) How do they evolve throughout the play? What is the purpose of this evolution?
Part 3) What message does the playwright want the audience to take away from these symbolic characters, as well as how they evolve and are developed throughout the play.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)