|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meg say to Mulleady's complaint?
2. Pat comments that when he first arrived, Monsewer spoke nothing but what?
3. What does Meg tell Teresa about Monswer?
4. What does Pat say is ready for their "visitor?"
5. What bad pun does Teresa make?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what is the article? How do the various characters react?
2. How does Pat feel about the way that Meg talks to him?
3. What takes place while the Officer is thinking?
4. How does the play end?
5. What do Pat, Meg, and Miss Gilchrist do, while the Officer and the Volunteer stand guard over the Soldier?
6. What does the Soldier do when Teresa enters the room?
7. What does the Soldier do as he enters the scene?
8. For what does the Soldier ask? Does he get it? Why or why not?
9. How did Monsewer come about his name?
10. What is revealed about Mulleady and Meg in the beginning of this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of "prisoner" is discussed.
Part 1) Who are the prisoners in this story? How are they prisoners?
Part 2) How is this concept explored in this story? Why?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for exploring the concept of prisoner?
Essay Topic 2
The play's ultimate thematic point has to do with a universal human condition.
Part 1) What is this universal condition? How does it affect everyone?
Part 2) How have you, personally, been affected by this universal human condition?
Part 3) Do you agree with this theme? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used throughout this story.
Part 1) Give two examples of foreshadowing. What is the purpose for this foreshadowing? What is coming in the story, and why?
Part 2) Is foreshadowing typically used to indicate the coming of positive events, or negative? Defend your answer.
Part 3) How does this foreshadowing reinforce the themes, sub-themes, and the plot?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)