|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they do when music comes on the radio?
2. What does Pat sing?
3. When he is finished, he and Meg talk further about what?
4. Pat comes back in with Monsewer and Meg tells him what?
5. What does Pat do when Colette takes the money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mulleady think about the Polish sailor? What is Pat's response?
2. How does Meg react when the Soldier describes their situation as war?
3. Does the IRA officer want to keep the prisoner at this house? Why or why not?
4. Who does Miss Gilchrist want to leave with her? Why can this character not leave?
5. With what does Teresa rush in?
6. What does the IRA officer come in and do?
7. About what does Pat sing?
8. What does the Soldier do when Teresa enters the room?
9. What do Pat, Meg, and Miss Gilchrist do, while the Officer and the Volunteer stand guard over the Soldier?
10. What story does Teresa tell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Teresa is revealed as a humanist.
Part 1) How is she revealed as a humanist? What does her compassion foreshadow?
Part 2) How do Teresa's humanist views play into the tension of the play?
Part 3) What is the purpose for Teresa's character? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Musical interludes and dark humor are repeated throughout the play.
Part 1) Describe two of these moments. Why do they take place?
Part 2) What is the overall purpose for these musical interludes and dark humor? Of what performance styles does this remind you? Why?
Part 3) Does this enhance the story? Why or why not? What is the playwright's purpose for using this music and humor?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of "prisoner" is discussed.
Part 1) Who are the prisoners in this story? How are they prisoners?
Part 2) How is this concept explored in this story? Why?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for exploring the concept of prisoner?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)