|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meg tell Teresa about Monswer?
2. What does Pat do when Colette takes the money?
3. What does Pat sing?
4. What is the IRA?
5. This story explores themes relating to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pat feel about the way that Meg talks to him?
2. What is this play about?
3. What does the Soldier ask the Volunteer? What is the Volunteer's response?
4. Why is Monsewer playing the bagpipes?
5. What do Pat, Meg, and Miss Gilchrist do, while the Officer and the Volunteer stand guard over the Soldier?
6. How does Teresa act when she finds out the Officer did not give the Soldier the cigarettes? How does the Soldier respond?
7. How did Monsewer come about his name?
8. What story does Teresa tell?
9. What is revealed about the boarding house?
10. How do Teresa and Meg feel about Monsewer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Act 3, Part 2 is climactic.
Part 1) Describe this section. How is it climactic?
Part 2) What purpose does this section serve? How has the vaudeville feel of the play affected this climactic section?
Part 3) How does this climactic section relate to real life? What is the purpose of this?
Essay Topic 2
Teresa is revealed as a humanist.
Part 1) How is she revealed as a humanist? What does her compassion foreshadow?
Part 2) How do Teresa's humanist views play into the tension of the play?
Part 3) What is the purpose for Teresa's character? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
It is difficult to understand this play without some idea of the long-standing battle waged by the IRA for Ireland's independence from Great Britain.
Part 1) Describe this battle, based on class discussions and information from the play.
Part 2) What does this play reveal about this battle?
Part 3) Based on this play, how successful is the IRA? Why?
Part 4) How are the Irish and British of today affected by this battle? How does it also affect others outside this part of the world?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)