|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Monsewer choose his title?
2. Why does Mulleady say Colette should not have to service the Polish sailor?
3. What is Miss Gilchrist heard doing?
4. How does Pat try to reassure her?
5. As the IRA officer inspects the books, what does he say?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Meg react when the Soldier describes their situation as war?
2. Does the IRA officer want to keep the prisoner at this house? Why or why not?
3. What do Meg and Pat say about Monsewer's past?
4. What is revealed about Teresa in this scene?
5. What does Mulleady think about the Polish sailor? What is Pat's response?
6. What does Monsewer think about the Irish soldier's predicament?
7. What takes place in the conversation between Teresa and the Soldier?
8. How does Teresa act when she finds out the Officer did not give the Soldier the cigarettes? How does the Soldier respond?
9. What does Pat tell Teresa to do? How will he reward her? How does she respond?
10. What happens when Teresa enters the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a sense of vaudeville or music hall.
Part 1) How is this play like a vaudeville or music hall show?
Part 2) What is the playwright's purpose for using this style?
Part 3) Is this stylistic choice successful? Why or why not?
Part 4) If you could change anything about this play, what would it be, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used throughout this story.
Part 1) Give two examples of foreshadowing. What is the purpose for this foreshadowing? What is coming in the story, and why?
Part 2) Is foreshadowing typically used to indicate the coming of positive events, or negative? Defend your answer.
Part 3) How does this foreshadowing reinforce the themes, sub-themes, and the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Princess Grace makes a comment about the censor.
Part 1) What is the censor? What is the censor's purpose?
Part 2) How does this affect Ireland?
Part 3) How does it increase tension between Ireland and England? Are censors used in other parts of the world? Do they create such tension? Why or why not?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)