|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After saying she will pray for everyone, what does Miss Gilchrist do?
2. What takes place suddenly in this story?
3. How does Meg react to this news about Mulleady?
4. This raucous comedy-drama tells the parallel stories of what two people?
5. How does Teresa feel about Monsewer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat tell the Soldier about his situation?
2. What do Meg and Pat say about Monsewer's past?
3. How do Teresa and Meg feel about Monsewer?
4. About what does Pat sing?
5. What is revealed about Mulleady and Meg in the beginning of this scene?
6. How does Teresa act when she finds out the Officer did not give the Soldier the cigarettes? How does the Soldier respond?
7. What transitions into the first scene?
8. How do the other characters react, when Meg finishes her song?
9. Why is Monsewer playing the bagpipes?
10. What does Pat have to say about his first meeting with Monsewer?
Essay Topic 1
An historical point about Queen Victoria is made.
Part 1) What is the point? Why is it made?
Part 2) What does this story reveal about Ireland at the time of this play?
Part 3) How has this event created tension in Ireland? How has this event affected the Irish people as well as others around the world?
Essay Topic 2
Musical interludes and dark humor are repeated throughout the play.
Part 1) Describe two of these moments. Why do they take place?
Part 2) What is the overall purpose for these musical interludes and dark humor? Of what performance styles does this remind you? Why?
Part 3) Does this enhance the story? Why or why not? What is the playwright's purpose for using this music and humor?
Essay Topic 3
There is tension between the various characters.
Part 1) Give two examples of tension. Why does this tension exist?
Part 2) How is this tension affected by the play's vaudeville style? Why?
Part 3) How does this tension imitate real life?
This section contains 1,891 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)