|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Pat and the Officer go out?
2. Mulleady hurries in shouting for what?
3. What does the officer tell Meg and Teresa to do?
4. What bad pun does Teresa make?
5. What do various characters say about the Soldier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Meg and Pat say about money?
2. What does Monsewer think about the Irish soldier's predicament?
3. What takes place while Teresa is under the bed?
4. When Meg returns, about what do she and Pat argue?
5. How does Miss Gilchrist respond when the others angrily ask her about her name?
6. What story does Teresa tell?
7. What happens when music comes on the radio? How do the characters' actions change when the British soldier enters?
8. For what does the Soldier ask? Does he get it? Why or why not?
9. What is revealed about the Soldier?
10. What is revealed about Teresa in this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The kidnapping of the British soldier can be seen as symbolic.
Part 1) Why is he kidnapped? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) What is the purpose of his death? Is it symbolic? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What other examples of symbolism exist in this story? What is the purpose of this symbolism? What message does the playwright send the audience through this symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of "prisoner" is discussed.
Part 1) Who are the prisoners in this story? How are they prisoners?
Part 2) How is this concept explored in this story? Why?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for exploring the concept of prisoner?
Essay Topic 3
It is difficult to understand this play without some idea of the long-standing battle waged by the IRA for Ireland's independence from Great Britain.
Part 1) Describe this battle, based on class discussions and information from the play.
Part 2) What does this play reveal about this battle?
Part 3) Based on this play, how successful is the IRA? Why?
Part 4) How are the Irish and British of today affected by this battle? How does it also affect others outside this part of the world?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)