|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Monsewer think about Irish martyrs?
(a) He would gladly be in the same position.
(b) They are fools.
(c) He would never want to be one.
(d) He hopes he will never have to be one.
2. When the sailor shows a handful of notes, what do Meg and Pat comment?
(a) They do not want his dirty money.
(b) Money means nothing when one is a Communist.
(c) Money is the best religion and the best form of politics.
(d) No amount of money can persuade them.
3. What does Meg tearfully tell him?
(a) She would also like it to be their home again.
(b) She hopes Monsewer sells it.
(c) She may be a prostitute but she is still a patriot.
(d) She tries to keep the home tidy.
4. About what else do Meg and Pat argue?
(a) Pat's ability to deal with the Soldier.
(b) Whether Meg has any right to argue because she's too young to remember the IRA's first battles in the early 1900's.
(c) Pat's missing leg.
(d) Whether Meg should know many details about the arrival of this prisoner.
5. How does Monsewer go out after hearing this news?
Short Answer Questions
1. During the conversation, what does Pat comment about the fight of the IRA for independence?
2. Why does Mulleady say Colette should not have to service the Polish sailor?
3. Of what is Monsewer the owner?
4. Why are they both captured and held hostage?
5. Why does Mulleady become angry at Princess Grace?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Monsewer come about his name?
2. What does the Soldier ask the Volunteer? What is the Volunteer's response?
3. What takes place in the conversation between Teresa and the Soldier?
4. What news does Monsewer have for Pat?
5. How do Teresa and Meg feel about Monsewer?
6. What does the Officer ask about Teresa? What is Pat's response?
7. What happens when gunshots are heard?
8. What does Monsewer want to do with the Soldier? To what does this lead?
9. What happens when Mulleady asks about the shirts Meg was to have laundered?
10. What do Pat, Meg, and Miss Gilchrist do, while the Officer and the Volunteer stand guard over the Soldier?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)