|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pat bitterly say about their house?
(a) It once was run properly.
(b) It once was beautiful and well-kept.
(c) It once was his and Meg's home.
(d) It once housed so many noble fighters and is now little more than a brothel.
2. Who are the caretakers?
(a) Teresa and Pat.
(b) Meg and Pat.
(c) Meg and Teresa.
(d) Monsewer and Teresa.
3. What circumstances do Meg and Pat discuss?
(a) The circumstances by which they came to work at this boarding house.
(b) Monsewer's move to Ireland as a child.
(c) The manipulative circumstances of the treaty's signing.
(d) How horrible Monsewer's mother was.
4. This story explores themes relating to what?
(a) The nature of imprisonment, preconception, and honor.
(b) Compassion and love.
(c) Sin and degradation.
(d) The war between the IRA and the British.
5. This raucous comedy-drama tells the parallel stories of what two people?
(a) Soldiers, one Irish and one British.
(b) Prostitutes, one Irish and one British.
(c) Soldiers, one American and one German.
(d) Caretakers, one Irish and one British.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Teresa feel about Monsewer?
2. As Pat comments on how pretty Teresa is, what does Meg say?
3. How does the story begin?
4. Pat salutes him, sees he has something important to talk about, and tells Meg to do what?
5. What does Meg tearfully tell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Meg appear? What does the Officer think of this?
2. Who does Miss Gilchrist want to leave with her? Why can this character not leave?
3. What do Meg and Pat say about Monsewer's past?
4. How does Meg respond to Pat's comment about the house being little more than a brothel? How does he reassure her?
5. What transitions into the first scene?
6. What does Monsewer think about the Irish soldier's predicament?
7. What do Pat and Meg think about the kidnapping of the British soldier?
8. How do the other characters react, when Meg finishes her song?
9. Of what does the Soldier try to convince Meg?
10. How does the scene end?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)