|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Monsewer remember when talking to the Soldier?
(a) Dancing Irish jigs as a child.
(b) Playing cricket as a boy.
(c) His time as a soldier.
(d) Learning to play the bagpipes.
2. The Soldier speaks flirtatiously with Teresa, saying what?
(a) He liked her dancing and that he hopes she cooked the food she brought.
(b) She looks like an English maiden.
(c) He hopes she is a good cook.
(d) He thinks she is beautiful.
3. What do Teresa and the Soldier hear?
(a) A gunshot.
(b) A clock strike in the town.
(d) A scream.
4. What does Teresa do when the Officer comes in?
(a) She hides in the closet.
(b) She climbs out the window.
(c) She hides under the bed.
(d) She hides behind the door.
5. What does the Soldier say about the members of the British Parliament?
(a) They are more into their own concerns and lives than anything else.
(b) They are concerned with only the British cause.
(c) They are heartless.
(d) They are cruel.
6. What does Miss Gilchrist do when Pat makes jokes about the dirty parts of the Bible?
(a) She reprimands him for being so vulgar.
(b) She weeps as she speaks of her principles of compassion.
(c) She leaves.
(d) She begins to read the Bible to him.
7. What does Miss Gilchrist think about the Royal Family?
(a) She wants to be a part of the family.
(b) She detests them.
(c) She is jealous of them.
(d) She is fond of them.
8. When Mulleady reads some of the article aloud, what does Pat say?
(a) It should not be read to anyone.
(b) It was written by an Irishman.
(c) It is a disgrace.
(d) It is disgusting.
9. What does Meg say about killing both soldiers?
(a) It is the only thing that can be done.
(b) It is cruel.
(c) It is the best option.
(d) It will not do any good.
10. Why can neither the Soldier or the Volunteer go?
(a) The Soldier is on duty, and the Volunteer is a prisoner.
(b) The Soldier is a prisoner, and the Volunteer is too lazy.
(c) The Soldier is a prisoner, and the Volunteer does not want to take him anywhere.
(d) The Soldier is a prisoner, and the Volunteer is on duty for another hour.
11. What does the Officer think Meg is there to do?
(a) Have sex with the Soldier.
(b) Sing a song.
(c) Cook breakfast.
(d) Clean the room.
12. As the parade passes, what does Miss Gilchrist do to the Soldier?
(a) She reads an article from a British paper to him.
(b) She asks if he would like to watch the parade.
(c) She prays for him.
(d) She glares at him.
13. What does the Soldier wonder about Teresa?
(a) Whether she will bring him his dinner.
(b) Where she is from.
(c) Why she is here.
(d) Whether she will bring him the tea.
14. How can the song by the Soldier be understood?
(a) As a song of love for his Irish captors.
(b) As a reference to the influence of America on many in Europe.
(c) As a way to show that he has worth.
(d) As a a reference to his resentment, and British resentment in general, for all non-British.
15. While the Soldier is gone, what does Teresa do?
(a) She pours him a cup of tea.
(b) She searches for him.
(c) She runs back with the cigarettes.
(d) She brings him his dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crude comment does Meg make to Miss Gilchrist?
2. When Monsewer comes in with Pat, what are they discussing?
3. How does the scene end?
4. Pat tells a lengthy and frequently interrupted story about what?
5. When Meg is finished, what is Pat's comment?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)