|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Over what do the characters argue?
(a) Which side is right.
(b) What should be done to the Irish prisoner.
(c) Why the Irish prisoner did what he did.
(d) What to have for dinner.
2. What does Pat say is a bluff?
(a) The capturing of the Irish soldier.
(b) The article in the newspaper.
(c) The imprisonment of the Soldier.
(d) The British threats to kills the Irish soldier.
3. When Meg is finished, what is Pat's comment?
(a) The song was beautiful.
(b) Is she done torturing them.
(c) Can she sing a more optimistic tune.
(d) The author of the play should have sung the song.
4. What story does Teresa tell?
(a) A story of when she first moved to the boarding house.
(b) A story of when she became an Irishwoman.
(c) A story of when she became an orphan.
(d) A story of when she was a girl in the convent.
5. What crude comment does Meg make to Miss Gilchrist?
(a) Miss Gilchrist loves the Bible for its dirty stories.
(b) Miss Gilchrist only wants to be saved by Mulleady.
(c) Miss Gilchrist is only interested in worshipping Mulleady.
(d) Miss Gilchrist's only principle is her relationship with Mulleady.
6. How does Pat respond when the Officer asks if Teresa can be trusted?
(a) Pat assures him that she can be trusted.
(b) Pat hopes she can be trusted.
(c) Pat is not sure she can be trusted.
(d) Pat says she cannot be trusted.
7. What does Miss Gilchrist do when Pat makes jokes about the dirty parts of the Bible?
(a) She reprimands him for being so vulgar.
(b) She leaves.
(c) She weeps as she speaks of her principles of compassion.
(d) She begins to read the Bible to him.
8. What does the Soldier say he has done wrong?
(a) He was a spy.
(b) He shot an IRA officer.
(c) He stole money from the IRA.
9. When Teresa says she was just dusting, what does Meg say?
(a) Teresa is a sinner.
(b) She is shocked.
(c) She also was just dusting.
(d) Teresa did nothing wrong.
10. What kind of music is heard?
(c) Rock and roll.
11. About what does Meg taunt Pat?
(a) Having bad luck.
(b) Being a grumpy old man.
(c) Being angry and resentful of the young IRA soldiers.
(d) Having only one leg.
12. What does the Officer think Meg is there to do?
(a) Cook breakfast.
(b) Sing a song.
(c) Have sex with the Soldier.
(d) Clean the room.
13. How can the song by the Soldier be understood?
(a) As a way to show that he has worth.
(b) As a reference to the influence of America on many in Europe.
(c) As a song of love for his Irish captors.
(d) As a a reference to his resentment, and British resentment in general, for all non-British.
14. As the parade passes, what does Miss Gilchrist do to the Soldier?
(a) She glares at him.
(b) She reads an article from a British paper to him.
(c) She asks if he would like to watch the parade.
(d) She prays for him.
15. When Monsewer comes in with Pat, what are they discussing?
(a) When he will play the bagpipes again.
(b) How badly he played but that his playing will be better in the morning.
(c) How well he plays the badpipes.
(d) What is for dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Pat tell the Soldier he has no reason to fear?
2. As Miss Gilchrist takes a drink to the Soldier, what does the Volunteer do?
3. As Pat offers the Volunteer and the Soldier a drink, what does the Soldier demand?
4. What does Teresa do after the Officer and Pat go outside?
5. What does the Soldier wonder about Teresa?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)