|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the Soldier?
2. What does the Soldier realize that he has in common with the Irish soldier?
(a) They are both Irish.
(b) They are from the same town.
(c) They are related.
(d) They are the same age.
3. How does the Soldier reply when Pat says he needs to sing something less patriotic?
(a) He only knows patriotic tunes.
(b) He does not want to sing anything else.
(c) He cannot think of anything else.
(d) He would rather not sing.
4. What does the Soldier do when he looks at the paper?
(a) He panics.
(b) He screams.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He rejoices at seeing his name.
5. After the Soldier asks for a cigarette and is told there are none, the Officer tells him he will be getting what?
(b) Bread and water.
(d) A cup of tea.
6. What does an article in the paper say about the "the condemned soldier?"
(a) He is not going to be reprieved.
(b) He is innocent.
(c) He will be a martyr.
(d) He will be freed.
7. About what does the Soldier tease Teresa?
(a) Wanting to get caught.
(b) Wanting to stay with him.
(c) Wanting to hide.
(d) Wanting to jump out of the window.
8. How can the song by the Soldier be understood?
(a) As a song of love for his Irish captors.
(b) As a way to show that he has worth.
(c) As a a reference to his resentment, and British resentment in general, for all non-British.
(d) As a reference to the influence of America on many in Europe.
9. What crude comment does Meg make to Miss Gilchrist?
(a) Miss Gilchrist loves the Bible for its dirty stories.
(b) Miss Gilchrist's only principle is her relationship with Mulleady.
(c) Miss Gilchrist only wants to be saved by Mulleady.
(d) Miss Gilchrist is only interested in worshipping Mulleady.
10. As Pat offers the Volunteer and the Soldier a drink, what does the Soldier demand?
(a) To know why he cannot be freed.
(b) To know what he did to deserve this treatment.
(c) To know when he will die.
(d) To know how he will die.
11. What does the Soldier wonder about Teresa?
(a) Whether she will bring him the tea.
(b) Why she is here.
(c) Where she is from.
(d) Whether she will bring him his dinner.
12. About whom is the article?
(a) The Queen.
(b) The military.
(c) The IRA.
(d) The King.
13. What kind of music is heard?
(d) Rock and roll.
14. What does the Soldier ask Teresa to do?
(b) Never come back.
(c) Bring him his dinner.
15. As Meg makes crude jokes, what does Miss Gilchrist say?
(a) She is rude and annoying.
(b) She needs to leave.
(c) She would be smarter to spend her time cleaning her house instead of joking.
(d) She should be quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Teresa catches the Soldier looking around the room, and at first he says he is only looking for an ashtray, but then admits what?
2. How do Meg and the other characters make jokes about the author?
3. What does the Soldier ask the Volunteer if he can go and do?
4. As the parade passes, what does Miss Gilchrist do to the Soldier?
5. Of what does Pat tell the Soldier he has no reason to fear?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)