|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Officer say when the Soldier says he does not know anything about the business done by the British?
(a) He will learn shortly when he gets a bullet in the head.
(b) He is not expected to know the business done by the British.
(c) Everyone knows about the business done by the British.
(d) He is a liar.
2. Who did Teresa help when she was a child?
(a) The other little girls.
(b) The nuns in the convent.
(c) Her parents.
(d) A sad little boy.
3. What does Miss Gilchrist think about the Royal Family?
(a) She wants to be a part of the family.
(b) She detests them.
(c) She is fond of them.
(d) She is jealous of them.
4. What does Teresa do when the Officer comes in?
(a) She climbs out the window.
(b) She hides in the closet.
(c) She hides under the bed.
(d) She hides behind the door.
5. What do Teresa and the Soldier hear?
(a) A clock strike in the town.
(c) A scream.
(d) A gunshot.
6. What does Teresa do as Pat sits on the bed?
(a) She gasps from behind the door.
(b) She peaks through the window.
(c) She giggles from the closet.
(d) She yells as the mattress sinks onto her.
7. What does the Soldier realize that he has in common with the Irish soldier?
(a) They are from the same town.
(b) They are the same age.
(c) They are related.
(d) They are both Irish.
8. What do Princess Grace, Mulleady, and other tenants come in to do?
(a) Try to catch a glimpse of the prisoner.
(b) To help the prisoner.
(c) To offer support.
(d) To taunt the prisoner.
9. What does Pat say is a bluff?
(a) The capturing of the Irish soldier.
(b) The imprisonment of the Soldier.
(c) The British threats to kills the Irish soldier.
(d) The article in the newspaper.
10. What do Meg and Miss Gilchrist tell Pat he needs to reconsider?
(a) What he charges for rent.
(b) His life.
(c) His position.
(d) His haircut.
11. What does the Soldier ask the Volunteer if he can go and do?
(a) Go for a walk.
(b) Out back to relieve himself.
(c) See the rest of the house.
(d) Get his own dinner.
12. What does Monsewer remember when talking to the Soldier?
(a) Playing cricket as a boy.
(b) Learning to play the bagpipes.
(c) Dancing Irish jigs as a child.
(d) His time as a soldier.
13. What do the other characters do as the Officer is thinking?
(a) They rush onstage to watch the parade.
(b) They ask him questions.
(c) They also think.
(d) They watch him think.
14. When the Soldier describes their situation as war, about what does Meg speak angrily?
(a) Her parents were killed during a war.
(b) War never ends.
(c) She has always lived during war time.
(d) The innocents whose lives were destroyed by that war.
15. What does Miss Gilchrist do when Pat makes jokes about the dirty parts of the Bible?
(a) She reprimands him for being so vulgar.
(b) She begins to read the Bible to him.
(c) She leaves.
(d) She weeps as she speaks of her principles of compassion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Soldier reply when Pat says he needs to sing something less patriotic?
2. As Miss Gilchrist takes a drink to the Soldier, what does the Volunteer do?
3. What will happen if the Irish soldier is executed?
4. As the parade passes, what does Miss Gilchrist do to the Soldier?
5. What does the Soldier say he has done wrong?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)