|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Officer do after Pat calls him?
(a) He ignores him.
(b) He tells Pat to stay quiet.
(c) He orders an escort for the Soldier.
(d) He takes the Soldier out.
2. What does the Soldier say about dying?
(a) An Englishman can die with just as much courage as an Irishman.
(b) He does not want to die.
(c) He should not have to die.
(d) He is afraid to die.
3. What does Monsewer remember when talking to the Soldier?
(a) Playing cricket as a boy.
(b) Dancing Irish jigs as a child.
(c) His time as a soldier.
(d) Learning to play the bagpipes.
4. While the Soldier is gone, what does Teresa do?
(a) She searches for him.
(b) She runs back with the cigarettes.
(c) She pours him a cup of tea.
(d) She brings him his dinner.
5. What do the other characters do as the Officer is thinking?
(a) They also think.
(b) They ask him questions.
(c) They rush onstage to watch the parade.
(d) They watch him think.
6. How does the scene end?
(a) Teresa climbs out the window.
(b) They sing and dance together, and at the end of the song they go to bed.
(c) Teresa leaves.
(d) The Officer opens the door and finds Teresa in the room with the Soldier.
7. As Miss Gilchrist takes a drink to the Soldier, what does the Volunteer do?
(a) He warns her to sit down and Pat says neither she nor Meg has the right to comment on his situation.
(b) He tells her to stay away from him.
(c) He warns her to not get attached to the Soldier.
(d) He tells her to give him the drink instead.
8. What does the Soldier do when he looks at the paper?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He screams.
(c) He panics.
(d) He rejoices at seeing his name.
9. What does Teresa do when the Officer comes in?
(a) She hides under the bed.
(b) She climbs out the window.
(c) She hides in the closet.
(d) She hides behind the door.
10. What do Teresa and the Soldier hear?
(a) A clock strike in the town.
(b) A gunshot.
(d) A scream.
11. Of what does Pat tell the Soldier he has no reason to fear?
(a) Being killed.
(b) Being tortured.
12. Over what do the characters argue?
(a) What should be done to the Irish prisoner.
(b) What to have for dinner.
(c) Why the Irish prisoner did what he did.
(d) Which side is right.
13. When Teresa says she was just dusting, what does Meg say?
(a) Teresa is a sinner.
(b) Teresa did nothing wrong.
(c) She also was just dusting.
(d) She is shocked.
14. How do the others respond when the Soldier asks whether any of the others would let him free?
(a) No one responds.
(b) Teresa, alone, said she would free him.
(c) No one will free him.
(d) Everyone says they would free him.
15. What does an article in the paper say about the "the condemned soldier?"
(a) He will be freed.
(b) He will be a martyr.
(c) He is innocent.
(d) He is not going to be reprieved.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can the song by the Soldier be understood?
2. What does the Soldier ask Teresa to do?
3. What does the Soldier wonder about Teresa?
4. Describe the song the Soldier sings.
5. What does the Soldier ask the Volunteer if he can go and do?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)