|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Soldier ask the Volunteer if he can go and do?
(a) See the rest of the house.
(b) Get his own dinner.
(c) Go for a walk.
(d) Out back to relieve himself.
2. What does Monsewer do to the Soldier?
(a) He interrogates him.
(b) He allows him out to go for a walk.
(c) He prays for him.
(d) He brings him dinner.
3. Who did Teresa help when she was a child?
(a) Her parents.
(b) A sad little boy.
(c) The other little girls.
(d) The nuns in the convent.
4. As Meg makes crude jokes, what does Miss Gilchrist say?
(a) She needs to leave.
(b) She should be quiet.
(c) She would be smarter to spend her time cleaning her house instead of joking.
(d) She is rude and annoying.
5. How does the Soldier reply when Pat says he needs to sing something less patriotic?
(a) He does not want to sing anything else.
(b) He only knows patriotic tunes.
(c) He cannot think of anything else.
(d) He would rather not sing.
6. How can the song by the Soldier be understood?
(a) As a a reference to his resentment, and British resentment in general, for all non-British.
(b) As a reference to the influence of America on many in Europe.
(c) As a song of love for his Irish captors.
(d) As a way to show that he has worth.
7. What does the Officer demand?
(a) That Teresa leave the room.
(b) That Monsewer be taken out and says that nobody is to be allowed in from this point on.
(c) That he be left alone with the Soldier.
(d) That the Soldier be shot.
8. What do Teresa and the Soldier hear?
(a) A scream.
(b) A gunshot.
(c) A clock strike in the town.
9. What does the Officer do after Pat calls him?
(a) He ignores him.
(b) He orders an escort for the Soldier.
(c) He takes the Soldier out.
(d) He tells Pat to stay quiet.
10. How old is the Soldier?
11. What does the Soldier do when he looks at the paper?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He screams.
(c) He rejoices at seeing his name.
(d) He panics.
12. What does an article in the paper say about the "the condemned soldier?"
(a) He is innocent.
(b) He will be freed.
(c) He is not going to be reprieved.
(d) He will be a martyr.
13. When Meg is finished, what is Pat's comment?
(a) Can she sing a more optimistic tune.
(b) Is she done torturing them.
(c) The author of the play should have sung the song.
(d) The song was beautiful.
14. What will happen if the Irish soldier is executed?
(a) The British soldier will be tortured.
(b) The British soldier will be freed.
(c) The IRA will launch an attack on the British.
(d) The British soldier will be shot.
15. What does the Soldier try to convince Meg to ask the Officer?
(a) Why he was kidnapped.
(b) When breakfast will be.
(c) When he will be executed.
(d) If he will be freed.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Miss Gilchrist takes a drink to the Soldier, what does the Volunteer do?
2. What does the Officer not want on the Soldier's conscience?
3. What are the marchers doing?
4. What do Princess Grace, Mulleady, and other tenants come in to do?
5. How does the Soldier respond when Pat tells him he is a prisoner of war?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)