|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Officer do after Pat calls him?
(a) He tells Pat to stay quiet.
(b) He takes the Soldier out.
(c) He ignores him.
(d) He orders an escort for the Soldier.
2. How can the song by the Soldier be understood?
(a) As a a reference to his resentment, and British resentment in general, for all non-British.
(b) As a way to show that he has worth.
(c) As a song of love for his Irish captors.
(d) As a reference to the influence of America on many in Europe.
3. What kind of music is heard?
(d) Rock and roll.
4. Pat tells a lengthy and frequently interrupted story about what?
(a) His life.
(b) How he became a caretaker.
(c) How he joined the IRA.
(d) How he lost his leg.
5. Who did Teresa help when she was a child?
(a) A sad little boy.
(b) The nuns in the convent.
(c) The other little girls.
(d) Her parents.
6. How do Meg and the other characters make jokes about the author?
(a) He is both pro-Irish and pro-British.
(b) He is an American.
(c) He is both anti-Irish and anti-British.
(d) He is actually French.
7. How does Pat respond when the Officer asks if Teresa can be trusted?
(a) Pat hopes she can be trusted.
(b) Pat assures him that she can be trusted.
(c) Pat says she cannot be trusted.
(d) Pat is not sure she can be trusted.
8. What does the Officer not want on the Soldier's conscience?
(a) A less than satisfying meal.
(b) A mortal sin.
(c) Guilt for making Meg work.
(d) The memory of a poorly sung song.
9. What does the Officer think Meg is there to do?
(a) Cook breakfast.
(b) Clean the room.
(c) Sing a song.
(d) Have sex with the Soldier.
10. When Mulleady reads some of the article aloud, what does Pat say?
(a) It is disgusting.
(b) It should not be read to anyone.
(c) It was written by an Irishman.
(d) It is a disgrace.
11. What does the Soldier say about dying?
(a) He is afraid to die.
(b) An Englishman can die with just as much courage as an Irishman.
(c) He does not want to die.
(d) He should not have to die.
12. Of what does Pat tell the Soldier he has no reason to fear?
(c) Being tortured.
(d) Being killed.
13. What does the Soldier say he has done wrong?
(a) He shot an IRA officer.
(b) He was a spy.
(d) He stole money from the IRA.
14. What does Miss Gilchrist do when Pat makes jokes about the dirty parts of the Bible?
(a) She leaves.
(b) She reprimands him for being so vulgar.
(c) She begins to read the Bible to him.
(d) She weeps as she speaks of her principles of compassion.
15. How old is the Soldier?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Meg makes crude jokes, what does Miss Gilchrist say?
2. What does the Soldier wonder about Teresa?
3. What does Teresa do after the Officer and Pat go outside?
4. As the parade passes, what does Miss Gilchrist do to the Soldier?
5. After the Soldier asks for a cigarette and is told there are none, the Officer tells him he will be getting what?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)