|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will happen if the Irish soldier is executed?
(a) The British soldier will be tortured.
(b) The IRA will launch an attack on the British.
(c) The British soldier will be freed.
(d) The British soldier will be shot.
2. What do Meg and Miss Gilchrist tell Pat he needs to reconsider?
(a) His life.
(b) His position.
(c) What he charges for rent.
(d) His haircut.
3. What does the Soldier try to convince Meg to ask the Officer?
(a) Why he was kidnapped.
(b) If he will be freed.
(c) When he will be executed.
(d) When breakfast will be.
4. About whom is the article?
(a) The IRA.
(b) The King.
(c) The military.
(d) The Queen.
5. About what is Meg's song?
(a) Love and compassion.
(b) Regret and loneliness.
(c) Irish rebels being attacked by the British in the way the Germans in World War II attacked the French.
(d) Peace between the Irish and British.
6. How do Meg and the other characters make jokes about the author?
(a) He is actually French.
(b) He is both pro-Irish and pro-British.
(c) He is an American.
(d) He is both anti-Irish and anti-British.
7. Meg appears, looking for whom?
(c) The Officer.
(d) Princess Grace.
8. What does Teresa do when she finds out that the Officer never gave the Soldier the cigarettes she brought?
(a) She curses.
(b) She argues with the Officer.
(c) She cries.
(d) She goes to get him cigarettes.
9. When Mulleady reads some of the article aloud, what does Pat say?
(a) It is a disgrace.
(b) It should not be read to anyone.
(c) It was written by an Irishman.
(d) It is disgusting.
10. As Miss Gilchrist takes a drink to the Soldier, what does the Volunteer do?
(a) He tells her to stay away from him.
(b) He warns her to sit down and Pat says neither she nor Meg has the right to comment on his situation.
(c) He warns her to not get attached to the Soldier.
(d) He tells her to give him the drink instead.
11. As the parade passes, what does Miss Gilchrist do to the Soldier?
(a) She asks if he would like to watch the parade.
(b) She glares at him.
(c) She reads an article from a British paper to him.
(d) She prays for him.
12. What does the Officer demand?
(a) That Teresa leave the room.
(b) That the Soldier be shot.
(c) That he be left alone with the Soldier.
(d) That Monsewer be taken out and says that nobody is to be allowed in from this point on.
13. What does Monsewer do to the Soldier?
(a) He interrogates him.
(b) He prays for him.
(c) He brings him dinner.
(d) He allows him out to go for a walk.
14. What does the Officer not want on the Soldier's conscience?
(a) A less than satisfying meal.
(b) Guilt for making Meg work.
(c) A mortal sin.
(d) The memory of a poorly sung song.
15. About what does Meg taunt Pat?
(a) Having bad luck.
(b) Being angry and resentful of the young IRA soldiers.
(c) Being a grumpy old man.
(d) Having only one leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Soldier respond when Pat tells him he is a prisoner of war?
2. What are the marchers doing?
3. What does Teresa do when the Officer comes in?
4. How does Pat respond when the Officer asks if Teresa can be trusted?
5. What do the other characters do as the Officer is thinking?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)