|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Soldier ask the Volunteer if he can go and do?
(a) Go for a walk.
(b) See the rest of the house.
(c) Get his own dinner.
(d) Out back to relieve himself.
2. Who did Teresa help when she was a child?
(a) Her parents.
(b) The other little girls.
(c) The nuns in the convent.
(d) A sad little boy.
3. How does the scene end?
(a) Teresa leaves.
(b) The Officer opens the door and finds Teresa in the room with the Soldier.
(c) They sing and dance together, and at the end of the song they go to bed.
(d) Teresa climbs out the window.
4. What does the Soldier do when he looks at the paper?
(a) He panics.
(b) He rejoices at seeing his name.
(c) He screams.
(d) He begins to cry.
5. As Meg makes crude jokes, what does Miss Gilchrist say?
(a) She needs to leave.
(b) She should be quiet.
(c) She would be smarter to spend her time cleaning her house instead of joking.
(d) She is rude and annoying.
6. How does the Soldier reply when Pat says he needs to sing something less patriotic?
(a) He does not want to sing anything else.
(b) He only knows patriotic tunes.
(c) He would rather not sing.
(d) He cannot think of anything else.
7. When Mulleady reads some of the article aloud, what does Pat say?
(a) It was written by an Irishman.
(b) It is disgusting.
(c) It should not be read to anyone.
(d) It is a disgrace.
8. What does Pat say is a bluff?
(a) The imprisonment of the Soldier.
(b) The British threats to kills the Irish soldier.
(c) The capturing of the Irish soldier.
(d) The article in the newspaper.
9. How do the others respond when the Soldier asks whether any of the others would let him free?
(a) No one responds.
(b) No one will free him.
(c) Everyone says they would free him.
(d) Teresa, alone, said she would free him.
10. When Monsewer comes in with Pat, what are they discussing?
(a) When he will play the bagpipes again.
(b) What is for dinner.
(c) How well he plays the badpipes.
(d) How badly he played but that his playing will be better in the morning.
11. What do Teresa and the Soldier hear?
(a) A clock strike in the town.
(c) A scream.
(d) A gunshot.
12. What does the Soldier realize that he has in common with the Irish soldier?
(a) They are related.
(b) They are the same age.
(c) They are both Irish.
(d) They are from the same town.
13. How do Meg and the other characters make jokes about the author?
(a) He is an American.
(b) He is both pro-Irish and pro-British.
(c) He is actually French.
(d) He is both anti-Irish and anti-British.
14. About whom is the article?
(a) The IRA.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The military.
(d) The King.
15. After the Soldier asks for a cigarette and is told there are none, the Officer tells him he will be getting what?
(b) A cup of tea.
(c) Bread and water.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Soldier not want to ruin his time with Teresa?
2. What do Princess Grace, Mulleady, and other tenants come in to do?
3. What will happen if the Irish soldier is executed?
4. What does the Officer think Meg is there to do?
5. What does the Soldier say he has done wrong?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)