|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Soldier try to convince Meg to ask the Officer?
(a) When breakfast will be.
(b) Why he was kidnapped.
(c) When he will be executed.
(d) If he will be freed.
2. What does Monsewer remember when talking to the Soldier?
(a) Dancing Irish jigs as a child.
(b) Learning to play the bagpipes.
(c) Playing cricket as a boy.
(d) His time as a soldier.
3. What does the Soldier say about the members of the British Parliament?
(a) They are cruel.
(b) They are concerned with only the British cause.
(c) They are more into their own concerns and lives than anything else.
(d) They are heartless.
4. When Monsewer comes in with Pat, what are they discussing?
(a) What is for dinner.
(b) How badly he played but that his playing will be better in the morning.
(c) When he will play the bagpipes again.
(d) How well he plays the badpipes.
5. About what does the Soldier tease Teresa?
(a) Wanting to hide.
(b) Wanting to stay with him.
(c) Wanting to jump out of the window.
(d) Wanting to get caught.
6. What does the Soldier say about dying?
(a) An Englishman can die with just as much courage as an Irishman.
(b) He should not have to die.
(c) He is afraid to die.
(d) He does not want to die.
7. What do Meg and Miss Gilchrist tell Pat he needs to reconsider?
(a) His life.
(b) His position.
(c) What he charges for rent.
(d) His haircut.
8. As Miss Gilchrist takes a drink to the Soldier, what does the Volunteer do?
(a) He warns her to sit down and Pat says neither she nor Meg has the right to comment on his situation.
(b) He tells her to stay away from him.
(c) He tells her to give him the drink instead.
(d) He warns her to not get attached to the Soldier.
9. What does Teresa give the Soldier?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A crucifix.
(c) A hug.
(d) A sacred medallion of the Virgin Mary.
10. What are the marchers doing?
(a) Playing with the children watching the parade.
(b) Celebrating a day of independence from Great Britain.
(c) Protesting the execution of the imprisoned Irish soldier.
(d) Dancing an Irish jig.
11. What does Miss Gilchrist do when Pat makes jokes about the dirty parts of the Bible?
(a) She weeps as she speaks of her principles of compassion.
(b) She leaves.
(c) She begins to read the Bible to him.
(d) She reprimands him for being so vulgar.
12. About which soldier is the article talking?
(a) The British one.
(b) The Irish one.
(c) A French soldier.
(d) An American soldier.
13. What does the Officer do after Pat calls him?
(a) He ignores him.
(b) He takes the Soldier out.
(c) He tells Pat to stay quiet.
(d) He orders an escort for the Soldier.
14. As Pat offers the Volunteer and the Soldier a drink, what does the Soldier demand?
(a) To know what he did to deserve this treatment.
(b) To know how he will die.
(c) To know why he cannot be freed.
(d) To know when he will die.
15. How does the Soldier reply when Pat says he needs to sing something less patriotic?
(a) He would rather not sing.
(b) He cannot think of anything else.
(c) He does not want to sing anything else.
(d) He only knows patriotic tunes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pat tells a lengthy and frequently interrupted story about what?
2. Over what do the characters argue?
3. Teresa catches the Soldier looking around the room, and at first he says he is only looking for an ashtray, but then admits what?
4. Who did Teresa help when she was a child?
5. What does Teresa do when she finds out that the Officer never gave the Soldier the cigarettes she brought?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)