|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Miss Gilchrist takes a drink to the Soldier, what does the Volunteer do?
(a) He tells her to give him the drink instead.
(b) He tells her to stay away from him.
(c) He warns her to sit down and Pat says neither she nor Meg has the right to comment on his situation.
(d) He warns her to not get attached to the Soldier.
2. What does the Officer think Meg is there to do?
(a) Clean the room.
(b) Cook breakfast.
(c) Have sex with the Soldier.
(d) Sing a song.
3. Why can neither the Soldier or the Volunteer go?
(a) The Soldier is a prisoner, and the Volunteer is too lazy.
(b) The Soldier is a prisoner, and the Volunteer is on duty for another hour.
(c) The Soldier is a prisoner, and the Volunteer does not want to take him anywhere.
(d) The Soldier is on duty, and the Volunteer is a prisoner.
4. What do Princess Grace, Mulleady, and other tenants come in to do?
(a) To help the prisoner.
(b) To taunt the prisoner.
(c) Try to catch a glimpse of the prisoner.
(d) To offer support.
5. What are the marchers doing?
(a) Protesting the execution of the imprisoned Irish soldier.
(b) Playing with the children watching the parade.
(c) Dancing an Irish jig.
(d) Celebrating a day of independence from Great Britain.
6. What does the Officer say when the Soldier says he does not know anything about the business done by the British?
(a) He is a liar.
(b) He is not expected to know the business done by the British.
(c) Everyone knows about the business done by the British.
(d) He will learn shortly when he gets a bullet in the head.
7. As Meg makes crude jokes, what does Miss Gilchrist say?
(a) She would be smarter to spend her time cleaning her house instead of joking.
(b) She needs to leave.
(c) She should be quiet.
(d) She is rude and annoying.
8. What does the Soldier say about dying?
(a) An Englishman can die with just as much courage as an Irishman.
(b) He should not have to die.
(c) He is afraid to die.
(d) He does not want to die.
9. What does Teresa do when she finds out that the Officer never gave the Soldier the cigarettes she brought?
(a) She curses.
(b) She goes to get him cigarettes.
(c) She argues with the Officer.
(d) She cries.
10. What do Meg and Miss Gilchrist tell Pat he needs to reconsider?
(a) His position.
(b) His haircut.
(c) What he charges for rent.
(d) His life.
11. Why is the Irish prisoner in jail?
(a) He shot a British police officer.
(b) He did nothing.
(c) He was acting as a spy.
(d) He stole from the British government.
12. When the Soldier describes their situation as war, about what does Meg speak angrily?
(a) She has always lived during war time.
(b) War never ends.
(c) Her parents were killed during a war.
(d) The innocents whose lives were destroyed by that war.
13. Over what do the characters argue?
(a) Why the Irish prisoner did what he did.
(b) What should be done to the Irish prisoner.
(c) What to have for dinner.
(d) Which side is right.
14. How old is the Soldier?
15. What does an article in the paper say about the "the condemned soldier?"
(a) He will be a martyr.
(b) He will be freed.
(c) He is not going to be reprieved.
(d) He is innocent.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Monsewer comes in with Pat, what are they discussing?
2. What does the Officer do after Pat calls him?
3. How does Pat respond when the Officer asks if Teresa can be trusted?
4. The Soldier speaks flirtatiously with Teresa, saying what?
5. What does Monsewer do to the Soldier?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)