|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can neither the Soldier or the Volunteer go?
(a) The Soldier is on duty, and the Volunteer is a prisoner.
(b) The Soldier is a prisoner, and the Volunteer is too lazy.
(c) The Soldier is a prisoner, and the Volunteer does not want to take him anywhere.
(d) The Soldier is a prisoner, and the Volunteer is on duty for another hour.
2. What does Monsewer do to the Soldier?
(a) He interrogates him.
(b) He prays for him.
(c) He brings him dinner.
(d) He allows him out to go for a walk.
3. What does the Officer demand?
(a) That Monsewer be taken out and says that nobody is to be allowed in from this point on.
(b) That Teresa leave the room.
(c) That the Soldier be shot.
(d) That he be left alone with the Soldier.
4. What does Teresa do when she finds out that the Officer never gave the Soldier the cigarettes she brought?
(a) She curses.
(b) She goes to get him cigarettes.
(c) She argues with the Officer.
(d) She cries.
5. What does an article in the paper say about the "the condemned soldier?"
(a) He will be a martyr.
(b) He is innocent.
(c) He will be freed.
(d) He is not going to be reprieved.
6. What does Teresa do when the Officer comes in?
(a) She hides under the bed.
(b) She hides behind the door.
(c) She climbs out the window.
(d) She hides in the closet.
7. What does Teresa give the Soldier?
(a) A crucifix.
(b) A sacred medallion of the Virgin Mary.
(c) A hug.
(d) A Bible.
8. What does the Officer not want on the Soldier's conscience?
(a) Guilt for making Meg work.
(b) The memory of a poorly sung song.
(c) A less than satisfying meal.
(d) A mortal sin.
9. What does the Officer say when the Soldier says he does not know anything about the business done by the British?
(a) He is not expected to know the business done by the British.
(b) He will learn shortly when he gets a bullet in the head.
(c) He is a liar.
(d) Everyone knows about the business done by the British.
10. When the Soldier describes their situation as war, about what does Meg speak angrily?
(a) Her parents were killed during a war.
(b) She has always lived during war time.
(c) War never ends.
(d) The innocents whose lives were destroyed by that war.
11. When Meg is finished, what is Pat's comment?
(a) Can she sing a more optimistic tune.
(b) The author of the play should have sung the song.
(c) The song was beautiful.
(d) Is she done torturing them.
12. About what is Meg's song?
(a) Peace between the Irish and British.
(b) Love and compassion.
(c) Irish rebels being attacked by the British in the way the Germans in World War II attacked the French.
(d) Regret and loneliness.
13. After the Soldier asks for a cigarette and is told there are none, the Officer tells him he will be getting what?
(b) Bread and water.
(c) A cup of tea.
14. What does Monsewer remember when talking to the Soldier?
(a) Learning to play the bagpipes.
(b) Dancing Irish jigs as a child.
(c) His time as a soldier.
(d) Playing cricket as a boy.
15. What will happen if the Irish soldier is executed?
(a) The British soldier will be freed.
(b) The British soldier will be tortured.
(c) The IRA will launch an attack on the British.
(d) The British soldier will be shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crude comment does Meg make to Miss Gilchrist?
2. About what does the Soldier tease Teresa?
3. How does the Soldier not want to ruin his time with Teresa?
4. What does Teresa do after the Officer and Pat go outside?
5. What does the Officer do after Pat calls him?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)