|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Monsewer doing as he comes in?
(a) Singing a sad lament.
(b) Blowing the first few notes of his song on the bagpipes.
(c) Arguing with Meg over the dinner menu.
(d) Asking about the room being prepared for the soldier.
2. How does Miss Gilchrist respond to angry inquiries about what her name means?
(a) With a haughty comment about her name meaning she is a daughter of Christ.
(b) With a haughty comment about her name meaning she is a gift of Christ.
(c) With a haughty comment about her name meaning she is a servant of Christ.
(d) With a haughty comment about her name meaning she is a message from Christ.
3. Of what is Pat afraid, regarding the IRA's cause?
(a) Their weapons are outdated.
(b) The will of the IRA is not strong enough.
(c) They will be too powerful.
(d) The British will not be able to overpower them.
4. When does the Soldier say those who are parted will all be brought together?
(a) When they move to England.
(b) When they are destroyed by the H-bomb.
(c) When they die.
(d) When they choose peace.
5. What serves as a transition into the first scene?
(a) A blast of bagpipes.
(b) A gunshot.
(c) A loud noise.
(d) A scream.
6. What do Pat, Meg, and Monsewer discuss?
(a) The merits of Irish versus English.
(b) The good qualities of the English.
(c) How beautiful the French language is.
(d) How strange Monsewer is.
7. What do Meg, Teresa and Mulleady discuss?
(a) How Pat could go along with this plan.
(b) How horrible the Officer is.
(c) How the Irish prisoner must be feeling.
(d) How the British prisoner must be feeling.
8. The Officer says the prisoner will be arriving soon but what?
(a) They have not actually captured him yet.
(b) He is injured.
(c) He will be very disagreeable.
(d) He may not be the only one.
9. What does his missing leg have to do with his conversation with Meg?
(a) Meg does not know the entire story surrounding his missing leg and she should be quiet.
(b) He should not be talked to rudely because he lost his leg as a soldier.
(c) He cannot help that he was in a car accident and should not be teased.
(d) She should be careful when she has an infection, or she could end up without a leg too.
10. After saying she will pray for everyone, what does Miss Gilchrist do?
(a) She leaves.
(b) She sits on the couch.
(c) She kneels down to pray.
(d) She begins to laugh.
11. What does Pat do when Colette takes the money?
(a) He indicates that the sailor should follow her into her room.
(b) He takes the money from her.
(c) He tells her to return the money immediately.
(d) He reprimands her for being greedy.
12. What does the officer tell Meg and Teresa to do?
(a) Leave the room.
(b) Get his room ready.
(c) Stop dancing.
(d) Keep dancing.
13. This story explores themes relating to what?
(a) The war between the IRA and the British.
(b) The nature of imprisonment, preconception, and honor.
(c) Compassion and love.
(d) Sin and degradation.
14. On what does Pat insist from the officer?
(a) An award.
(b) A letter of recommendation.
(c) Rent in advance.
(d) A bonus check.
15. What does Teresa promise?
(a) To listen to Pat.
(b) To do her job.
(c) To leave.
(d) To work hard and be serious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the officer do when Pat says he needs to go out to get the money before he will allow the prisoner to stay?
2. Why does Meg feel betrayed?
3. Why are they both captured and held hostage?
4. Pat has a long history of disagreements with whom?
5. Of what is Monsewer the owner?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)