|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Pat, Meg, and Monsewer discuss?
(a) The merits of Irish versus English.
(b) How strange Monsewer is.
(c) How beautiful the French language is.
(d) The good qualities of the English.
2. How does Meg act towards Miss Gilchrist, when trying to get her to leave?
(a) She ignores her.
(b) She swears and speaks crudely.
(c) She screams at her.
(d) She forcefully pushes her out.
3. How does Teresa feel about Monsewer?
4. What is Monsewer doing as he comes in?
(a) Blowing the first few notes of his song on the bagpipes.
(b) Arguing with Meg over the dinner menu.
(c) Singing a sad lament.
(d) Asking about the room being prepared for the soldier.
5. What does the officer do when Pat says he needs to go out to get the money before he will allow the prisoner to stay?
(a) He reaches for his gun.
(b) He runs out the door.
(c) He leaves to get the money.
(d) He shoves Pat.
6. Why do Pat and the Officer go out?
(a) To get away from the others.
(b) To discuss Meg and Teresa.
(c) To retrieve the prisoner.
(d) To discuss plans for housing the prisoner.
7. What does Pat say is ready for their "visitor?"
(b) His dinner.
(c) His room.
8. Pat comes back in with Monsewer and Meg tells him what?
(a) What is happening to the British prisoner.
(b) What is happening to the Irish prisoner.
(c) That dinner is ready.
(d) That the prisoner's room is prepared.
9. What does Pat promise Teresa if she can keep her mouth shut?
(a) She can have whatever she wants.
(b) She will not be charged rent the next month.
(c) She will not be put in jail.
(d) She can have a home there the rest of her life.
10. What do Meg, Teresa and Mulleady discuss?
(a) How Pat could go along with this plan.
(b) How horrible the Officer is.
(c) How the Irish prisoner must be feeling.
(d) How the British prisoner must be feeling.
11. When he is finished, he and Meg talk further about what?
(a) How horrible a place England must be.
(b) How the IRA continued to fight even after the treaty was signed.
(c) How strong and powerful is the IRA.
(d) How beautiful Ireland is.
12. What do Meg and Teresa do when they see the British soldier in the doorway?
(a) They stop dancing.
(b) They run to him.
(c) They continue dancing.
(d) They scream.
13. This story explores themes relating to what?
(a) Sin and degradation.
(b) The war between the IRA and the British.
(c) The nature of imprisonment, preconception, and honor.
(d) Compassion and love.
14. What is revealed about Meg?
(a) She was an orphan.
(b) She was a spy.
(c) She is a mother.
(d) She lived in England.
15. What do Meg and Pat say Monsewer studied?
(a) Irish history and language.
(b) German history and language.
(c) Spanish history and language.
(d) French history and language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meg tell Teresa about Monswer?
2. Why are they both captured and held hostage?
3. What is Miss Gilchrist heard doing?
4. Why is this person playing the bagpipes?
5. What takes place suddenly in this story?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)