|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When she is gone, what does Monsewer tell Pat?
(a) A captured Irish soldier is being brought to them.
(b) Two soldiers will be coming soon with a captured English soldier.
(c) A man is coming to take over the boarding house.
(d) The British are coming to imprison them.
2. What do Pat and Meg talk briefly about when Monsewer leaves?
(a) One of the tenants Monsewer brought into the house.
(b) The boarding house's expenses.
(c) How well he runs the house.
(d) The prostitutes in the house.
3. Why do Pat and the Officer go out?
(a) To get away from the others.
(b) To discuss Meg and Teresa.
(c) To retrieve the prisoner.
(d) To discuss plans for housing the prisoner.
4. What does Meg say to Mulleady's complaint?
(a) He can fold his own shirts next time.
(b) Stop complaining or else she will ask for the rent money he owes.
(c) She could not help it that his shirts became discolored or torn.
(d) He should go buy new shirts.
5. What do Pat and Meg say about Monsewer's history?
(a) He was born in England but was Irish on his father's side.
(b) He was born in Irelnad but was English on his father's side.
(c) He was born in England but was Irish on his mother's side.
(d) He was born in Ireland but was English on his mother's side.
6. What do Meg and Pat say drove Monsewer half mad?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His move to Ireland.
(d) The treaty signed by some of the members of the IRA to end the fighting.
7. What is Monsewer doing as he comes in?
(a) Blowing the first few notes of his song on the bagpipes.
(b) Singing a sad lament.
(c) Arguing with Meg over the dinner menu.
(d) Asking about the room being prepared for the soldier.
8. Who is playing the bagpipes?
9. This person who will soon be arriving is what?
(a) The only man of his kind.
(b) The first of many prisoners.
(c) A kind man.
(d) An Irish soldier.
10. What does Meg tell Teresa about Monswer?
(a) He is a strange man.
(b) He is a great man.
(c) He is a horrible man.
(d) He is a spy.
11. How does Miss Gilchrist respond to angry inquiries about what her name means?
(a) With a haughty comment about her name meaning she is a servant of Christ.
(b) With a haughty comment about her name meaning she is a daughter of Christ.
(c) With a haughty comment about her name meaning she is a message from Christ.
(d) With a haughty comment about her name meaning she is a gift of Christ.
12. When he is finished, he and Meg talk further about what?
(a) How strong and powerful is the IRA.
(b) How the IRA continued to fight even after the treaty was signed.
(c) How beautiful Ireland is.
(d) How horrible a place England must be.
13. As he comes in, the Soldier does what?
(a) Says, "Long live the Queen!"
(b) Sings a song about how good it is to be on earth.
(c) Dances an Irish jig.
(d) Sings an Irish tune.
14. Meg comes back in. About what do she and Pat argue?
(a) Whether the Irish Soldier should be staying here.
(b) Whether Monsewer's kidnapping plan is a good one.
(c) Whether Monsewer's leaving is a good choice.
(d) Whether the British will take them hostage.
15. Of what is Pat afraid, regarding the IRA's cause?
(a) The will of the IRA is not strong enough.
(b) They will be too powerful.
(c) Their weapons are outdated.
(d) The British will not be able to overpower them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mulleady say Colette should not have to service the Polish sailor?
2. About what does Mulleady complain, regarding his shirts?
3. What does Pat say about the tenants' money?
4. Who speaks angrily to the characters?
5. About what does Pat sing?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)