|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Meg comes back in. About what do she and Pat argue?
(a) Whether Monsewer's leaving is a good choice.
(b) Whether the Irish Soldier should be staying here.
(c) Whether the British will take them hostage.
(d) Whether Monsewer's kidnapping plan is a good one.
2. Why are they both captured and held hostage?
(a) They are breaking the law.
(b) The property for which they care is under investigation.
(c) As part of the ongoing hostilities between the Irish Republican Army and the British government.
(d) As part of the ongoing hostilities between the United States and the Nazi party.
3. How does Teresa feel about Monsewer?
4. What does Monsewer think about everyone who lives in the house?
(a) They are all rebels on the run from the British authorities.
(b) They are all prostitutes and degenarates.
(c) They are all British spies.
(d) They are members of the secret police.
5. What is Miss Gilchrist heard doing?
6. Why is this person playing the bagpipes?
(a) She is a professional bagpipe player.
(b) He is a professional bagpipe player.
(c) She is practicing to play a lament for a young member of the IRA who is to be executed the following morning.
(d) He is practicing to play a lament for a young member of the IRA who is to be executed the following morning.
7. Pat salutes him, sees he has something important to talk about, and tells Meg to do what?
(b) Plug her ears.
(c) Begin cooking dinner.
(d) Sweep the steps.
8. Who are the caretakers?
(a) Teresa and Pat.
(b) Monsewer and Teresa.
(c) Meg and Pat.
(d) Meg and Teresa.
9. What is Monsewer doing as he comes in?
(a) Singing a sad lament.
(b) Arguing with Meg over the dinner menu.
(c) Asking about the room being prepared for the soldier.
(d) Blowing the first few notes of his song on the bagpipes.
10. What does Pat do when Colette takes the money?
(a) He takes the money from her.
(b) He indicates that the sailor should follow her into her room.
(c) He tells her to return the money immediately.
(d) He reprimands her for being greedy.
11. During the conversation, what does Pat comment about the fight of the IRA for independence?
(a) It is never over.
(b) It is almost over.
(c) It has just begun.
(d) It is over.
12. Who speaks angrily to the characters?
(a) Two narrators.
(b) Two caretakers.
(c) Two prostitutes.
(d) Two soldiers.
13. After Mulleady goes, about what does Meg complain?
(a) How she purposely folded his shirts incorrectly.
(b) She is tired of her job.
(c) How annoying he is.
(d) They will allow anybody to live there.
14. After saying she will pray for everyone, what does Miss Gilchrist do?
(a) She sits on the couch.
(b) She begins to laugh.
(c) She kneels down to pray.
(d) She leaves.
15. Of what is Pat afraid, regarding the IRA's cause?
(a) The British will not be able to overpower them.
(b) The will of the IRA is not strong enough.
(c) They will be too powerful.
(d) Their weapons are outdated.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he comes in, the Soldier does what?
2. As Pat comments on how pretty Teresa is, what does Meg say?
3. What does Mulleady reveal about his past?
4. What does Meg tell Teresa about Monswer?
5. What does Teresa insist will be a shame?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)