|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Pat and Meg say about Monsewer's history?
(a) He was born in England but was Irish on his mother's side.
(b) He was born in Ireland but was English on his mother's side.
(c) He was born in Irelnad but was English on his father's side.
(d) He was born in England but was Irish on his father's side.
2. How does Pat say he lost his leg?
(a) As a soldier.
(b) As a child.
(c) He had it amputated after an infection.
(d) In an automobile accident.
3. After a brief argument what does Mulleady do?
(a) He refolds his shirts.
(b) He goes without his shirt.
(c) He gets a shirt from Meg.
(d) He goes to buy a new shirt.
4. When he is finished, he and Meg talk further about what?
(a) How strong and powerful is the IRA.
(b) How the IRA continued to fight even after the treaty was signed.
(c) How horrible a place England must be.
(d) How beautiful Ireland is.
5. How does the officer quote a leader of the IRA?
(a) A noble cause must be served by noble men.
(b) A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
(c) A good man is hard to find.
(d) A leopard cannot change its spots.
6. What do Meg, Teresa and Mulleady discuss?
(a) How horrible the Officer is.
(b) How the Irish prisoner must be feeling.
(c) How Pat could go along with this plan.
(d) How the British prisoner must be feeling.
7. What do Pat, Meg, and Monsewer discuss?
(a) The merits of Irish versus English.
(b) How beautiful the French language is.
(c) How strange Monsewer is.
(d) The good qualities of the English.
8. What does Pat say about the tenants' money?
(a) It does not cover the expenses of the boarding house.
(b) It is only good when rent is paid in full.
(c) It is no good.
(d) It is good no matter who or what they are.
9. Why had Teresa left a convent?
(a) She had fallen in love with a student priest.
(b) She had decided against becoming a nun.
(c) She did not find herself attractive in a habit.
(d) She fell in love with one of the nuns.
10. What does Monsewer think about Irish martyrs?
(a) He hopes he will never have to be one.
(b) He would gladly be in the same position.
(c) They are fools.
(d) He would never want to be one.
11. What is Monsewer doing as he comes in?
(a) Arguing with Meg over the dinner menu.
(b) Blowing the first few notes of his song on the bagpipes.
(c) Singing a sad lament.
(d) Asking about the room being prepared for the soldier.
12. Who speaks angrily to the characters?
(a) Two soldiers.
(b) Two prostitutes.
(c) Two caretakers.
(d) Two narrators.
13. Why does Mulleady become angry at Princess Grace?
(a) For not paying his rent.
(b) For telling on him.
(c) For entering the room before him.
(d) For being unkind to him.
14. About what does Mulleady complain, regarding his shirts?
(a) His shirts are all discolored or torn.
(b) Meg has not given him back the shirts he gave her to be laundered.
(c) He has no new shirts.
(d) Meg has not folded them properly.
15. What bad pun does Teresa make?
(a) She calls French bread, a bagette, a bagel.
(b) She calls French fries, pommes frites, pomegranate fries.
(c) She calls French candy, bon bons, bonnie bons.
(d) She calls a French cigarette, a Gauloise, a gollywog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What takes place suddenly in this story?
2. This raucous comedy-drama tells the parallel stories of what two people?
3. Why are they both captured and held hostage?
4. What do they do when music comes on the radio?
5. What does his missing leg have to do with his conversation with Meg?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)