|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Monsewer doing as he comes in?
(a) Asking about the room being prepared for the soldier.
(b) Singing a sad lament.
(c) Blowing the first few notes of his song on the bagpipes.
(d) Arguing with Meg over the dinner menu.
2. What does Mulleady reveal about his past?
(a) He was once in prison.
(b) He was once a policeman.
(c) He was once an officer.
(d) He was once a spy.
3. What is revealed about Meg?
(a) She was an orphan.
(b) She was a spy.
(c) She lived in England.
(d) She is a mother.
4. What does Pat sing?
(a) A humorous song about England.
(b) A lament about a laughing soldier killed for the Irish cause.
(c) A dramatic song about the IRA.
(d) A love song to Ireland.
5. Why had Teresa left a convent?
(a) She fell in love with one of the nuns.
(b) She did not find herself attractive in a habit.
(c) She had decided against becoming a nun.
(d) She had fallen in love with a student priest.
6. What does Meg tearfully tell him?
(a) She hopes Monsewer sells it.
(b) She would also like it to be their home again.
(c) She may be a prostitute but she is still a patriot.
(d) She tries to keep the home tidy.
7. Of what is Pat afraid, regarding the IRA's cause?
(a) They will be too powerful.
(b) Their weapons are outdated.
(c) The British will not be able to overpower them.
(d) The will of the IRA is not strong enough.
8. What takes place suddenly in this story?
(a) Violence, music, and humor.
(d) Gun shots.
9. Who speaks angrily to the characters?
(a) Two caretakers.
(b) Two narrators.
(c) Two soldiers.
(d) Two prostitutes.
10. What bad pun does Teresa make?
(a) She calls a French cigarette, a Gauloise, a gollywog.
(b) She calls French fries, pommes frites, pomegranate fries.
(c) She calls French bread, a bagette, a bagel.
(d) She calls French candy, bon bons, bonnie bons.
11. What circumstances do Meg and Pat discuss?
(a) How horrible Monsewer's mother was.
(b) Monsewer's move to Ireland as a child.
(c) The manipulative circumstances of the treaty's signing.
(d) The circumstances by which they came to work at this boarding house.
12. After saying she will pray for everyone, what does Miss Gilchrist do?
(a) She leaves.
(b) She sits on the couch.
(c) She begins to laugh.
(d) She kneels down to pray.
13. Mulleady hurries in shouting for what?
(a) Pat's help.
(b) Monsewer's help.
(c) Teresa's help.
(d) Meg's help.
14. What does Meg tell Teresa about Monswer?
(a) He is a great man.
(b) He is a strange man.
(c) He is a horrible man.
(d) He is a spy.
15. Pat salutes him, sees he has something important to talk about, and tells Meg to do what?
(a) Begin cooking dinner.
(c) Sweep the steps.
(d) Plug her ears.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he is finished, he and Meg talk further about what?
2. What is Miss Gilchrist heard doing?
3. Why is this person playing the bagpipes?
4. What does the IRA officer come in and do?
5. This person who will soon be arriving is what?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)