|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Meg tell Teresa about Monswer?
(a) He is a horrible man.
(b) He is a strange man.
(c) He is a great man.
(d) He is a spy.
2. How does Pat say he lost his leg?
(a) In an automobile accident.
(b) As a child.
(c) He had it amputated after an infection.
(d) As a soldier.
3. About what does Mulleady complain, regarding his shirts?
(a) Meg has not given him back the shirts he gave her to be laundered.
(b) Meg has not folded them properly.
(c) He has no new shirts.
(d) His shirts are all discolored or torn.
4. This person who will soon be arriving is what?
(a) A kind man.
(b) The first of many prisoners.
(c) An Irish soldier.
(d) The only man of his kind.
5. How does Meg react to this news about Mulleady?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She becomes angry.
(c) She is jealous.
(d) She is happy.
6. Monsewer comes in, checking with Pat to make sure about what?
(a) All rent money has been paid.
(b) Preparations have been made for the arrival of the soldiers and their prisoner.
(c) His breakfast has been prepared.
(d) The boarding house is full.
7. Of what is Monsewer the owner?
(a) A pub.
(b) A restaurant and bar.
(c) A large hotel.
(d) A boarding house.
8. What serves as a transition into the first scene?
(a) A gunshot.
(b) A loud noise.
(c) A blast of bagpipes.
(d) A scream.
9. When he is finished, he and Meg talk further about what?
(a) How horrible a place England must be.
(b) How strong and powerful is the IRA.
(c) How beautiful Ireland is.
(d) How the IRA continued to fight even after the treaty was signed.
10. When does the Soldier say those who are parted will all be brought together?
(a) When they choose peace.
(b) When they move to England.
(c) When they are destroyed by the H-bomb.
(d) When they die.
11. With what does Princess Grace come in?
(a) Her rent and news that Mulleady is a spy.
(b) Her rent and news that Mulleady has not paid his rent.
(c) Her rent and news that Mulleady has a prisoner.
(d) Her rent and news that Mulleady has a woman in his room.
12. This story explores themes relating to what?
(a) Sin and degradation.
(b) The nature of imprisonment, preconception, and honor.
(c) Compassion and love.
(d) The war between the IRA and the British.
13. What does the IRA officer come in and do?
(a) He asks for a room to rent.
(b) He aks for the prisoner.
(c) He asks a list of questions about the house.
(d) He pays the rent for the prisoner.
14. When the sailor shows a handful of notes, what do Meg and Pat comment?
(a) No amount of money can persuade them.
(b) They do not want his dirty money.
(c) Money means nothing when one is a Communist.
(d) Money is the best religion and the best form of politics.
15. How does the story begin?
(a) A narrator appears.
(b) The actors walk solemnly onto the stage.
(c) Rock and roll music is heard.
(d) The actors dance an Irish jig.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meg say to Mulleady's complaint?
2. How does Miss Gilchrist respond to angry inquiries about what her name means?
3. Pat comes back in with Monsewer and Meg tells him what?
4. What do Meg and Teresa do when they see the British soldier in the doorway?
5. What does Meg tearfully tell him?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)