|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pat bitterly say about their house?
(a) It once was his and Meg's home.
(b) It once was run properly.
(c) It once housed so many noble fighters and is now little more than a brothel.
(d) It once was beautiful and well-kept.
2. What does the officer tell Meg and Teresa to do?
(a) Leave the room.
(b) Stop dancing.
(c) Keep dancing.
(d) Get his room ready.
3. Pat comments that when he first arrived, Monsewer spoke nothing but what?
4. Pat salutes him, sees he has something important to talk about, and tells Meg to do what?
(a) Begin cooking dinner.
(b) Plug her ears.
(c) Sweep the steps.
5. This raucous comedy-drama tells the parallel stories of what two people?
(a) Prostitutes, one Irish and one British.
(b) Soldiers, one American and one German.
(c) Soldiers, one Irish and one British.
(d) Caretakers, one Irish and one British.
6. How did Monsewer choose his title?
(a) He wanted nothing to do with anything English such as the title "mister."
(b) He grew tired of his name.
(c) He wanted to sound sophisticated.
(d) He wishes he were French.
7. Why can Mulleady not leave with Miss Gilchrist?
(a) He does not want to leave.
(b) He has not paid his rent.
(c) He works at the house.
(d) His things are still in his room.
8. What takes place suddenly in this story?
(a) Gun shots.
(d) Violence, music, and humor.
9. What does Meg tell Teresa about Monswer?
(a) He is a great man.
(b) He is a spy.
(c) He is a strange man.
(d) He is a horrible man.
10. Of what is Monsewer the owner?
(a) A restaurant and bar.
(b) A pub.
(c) A large hotel.
(d) A boarding house.
11. After a brief argument what does Mulleady do?
(a) He goes without his shirt.
(b) He goes to buy a new shirt.
(c) He gets a shirt from Meg.
(d) He refolds his shirts.
12. What circumstances do Meg and Pat discuss?
(a) The manipulative circumstances of the treaty's signing.
(b) How horrible Monsewer's mother was.
(c) Monsewer's move to Ireland as a child.
(d) The circumstances by which they came to work at this boarding house.
13. How does Monsewer go out after hearing this news?
14. When she is gone, what does Monsewer tell Pat?
(a) Two soldiers will be coming soon with a captured English soldier.
(b) A captured Irish soldier is being brought to them.
(c) The British are coming to imprison them.
(d) A man is coming to take over the boarding house.
15. Pat has a long history of disagreements with whom?
(a) The police.
(b) The IRA leadership.
(c) The English.
(d) The French.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Miss Gilchrist heard doing?
2. What does Teresa promise?
3. How does Miss Gilchrist respond to angry inquiries about what her name means?
4. How does the story begin?
5. After saying she will pray for everyone, what does Miss Gilchrist do?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)