|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Meg say to Mulleady's complaint?
(a) She could not help it that his shirts became discolored or torn.
(b) He can fold his own shirts next time.
(c) Stop complaining or else she will ask for the rent money he owes.
(d) He should go buy new shirts.
2. Of what is Monsewer the owner?
(a) A restaurant and bar.
(b) A boarding house.
(c) A pub.
(d) A large hotel.
3. Monsewer comes in, checking with Pat to make sure about what?
(a) All rent money has been paid.
(b) The boarding house is full.
(c) His breakfast has been prepared.
(d) Preparations have been made for the arrival of the soldiers and their prisoner.
4. Mulleady hurries in shouting for what?
(a) Teresa's help.
(b) Meg's help.
(c) Pat's help.
(d) Monsewer's help.
5. When the sailor shows a handful of notes, what do Meg and Pat comment?
(a) They do not want his dirty money.
(b) Money is the best religion and the best form of politics.
(c) No amount of money can persuade them.
(d) Money means nothing when one is a Communist.
6. What does Monsewer think about everyone who lives in the house?
(a) They are members of the secret police.
(b) They are all British spies.
(c) They are all rebels on the run from the British authorities.
(d) They are all prostitutes and degenarates.
7. How did Monsewer choose his title?
(a) He wanted nothing to do with anything English such as the title "mister."
(b) He wishes he were French.
(c) He wanted to sound sophisticated.
(d) He grew tired of his name.
8. Why does Meg feel betrayed?
(a) After all she has done for him, he turns out to be a spy.
(b) She wanted to meet the prisoner first.
(c) She has covered his rent before and does not want to do it again.
(d) After everything she said and did to defend Mulleady when he ran away with the church funds.
9. About what does Pat sing?
(a) How he wishes he were an Irishman.
(b) How strong the IRA once was.
(c) How wonderful the Brits are.
(d) How he wonders what life is like outside of Ireland.
10. What do Meg and Pat say drove Monsewer half mad?
(a) His father.
(b) His move to Ireland.
(c) His mother.
(d) The treaty signed by some of the members of the IRA to end the fighting.
11. This story explores themes relating to what?
(a) Compassion and love.
(b) Sin and degradation.
(c) The war between the IRA and the British.
(d) The nature of imprisonment, preconception, and honor.
12. As he comes in, the Soldier does what?
(a) Says, "Long live the Queen!"
(b) Dances an Irish jig.
(c) Sings a song about how good it is to be on earth.
(d) Sings an Irish tune.
13. What is the IRA?
(a) Iranian Ruling Army.
(b) Iranian Republican Army.
(c) Irish Republican Army.
(d) Irish Regency Army.
14. Pat salutes him, sees he has something important to talk about, and tells Meg to do what?
(a) Plug her ears.
(c) Begin cooking dinner.
(d) Sweep the steps.
15. Why are they both captured and held hostage?
(a) The property for which they care is under investigation.
(b) As part of the ongoing hostilities between the Irish Republican Army and the British government.
(c) They are breaking the law.
(d) As part of the ongoing hostilities between the United States and the Nazi party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Meg and Teresa enter the scene at this point?
2. What does Teresa insist will be a shame?
3. Who speaks angrily to the characters?
4. About what does Mulleady complain, regarding his shirts?
5. What does Pat bitterly say about their house?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)