|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Burris bring with him to the ranch?
2. What is most likely wrong with Granddad's cattle?
3. Who is Hud?
4. What do all the men start doing the next morning?
5. Who is Halmea?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Granddad come to marry his second wife?
2. What do the men on the ranch do the next day?
3. Why do Lonnie, Hud and Granddad go to the stockyards?
4. What does Newt say about the dead heifer?
5. What do the boys do after returning to Thalia?
6. What is Hud's response on the way back from the stockyards when Granddad asks his opinion about the cattle?
7. What does Lonzo suggest and what is Granddad's response?
8. Where does Lonnie go that evening with Jesse and Lonzo and whom does he see?
9. What happens when the state vet arrives the next day at the ranch?
10. What do Lonnie's friends decide to do after a few games of pool and why are they successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Horseman, Pass By based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Horseman, Pass By is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Horseman, Pass By is set in the mid-20th century changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Halmea's relationship with Hud. What are the predominant emotions the two feel towards each other? How does Hud use Halmea to make himself feel better? What are the reasons for Hud raping Halmea (both those stated and those implied). Is the relationship only based upon power?
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Halmea's relationship with Lonnie. How does Lonnie view Halmea? Is the relationship healthy? Would Lonnie have the same relationship with Halmea if Lonnie's mother were still alive? What if Lonnie had a girlfriend?
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Halmea's relationship with Granny. How does Granny view Halmea? Halmea view Granny? Is there any caring between the two? Is the relationship only based upon power? Does Granny care about Halmea?
Essay Topic 3
Three of the main characters, Hud, Granddad and Lonnie have striking contrasts in their personalities. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Granddad and Lonnie. How are they alike? How are they different? Describe and analyze their relationship. What does each think about the other? Is it likely that Lonnie will grow more like Granddad as Lonnie ages? Why or why not?
2. Compare/contrast Granddad and Hud. How are they alike? How are they different? Which is more likable? Or is either character likable? Describe and analyze their relationship. What does each think about the other?
3. Compare/contrast Hud and Lonnie. How are they alike? How are they different? Which is more likable? Reliable? Describe and analyze their relationship. What does each think about the other?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)