|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lonnie keep working after he is hurt?
2. What does Hud predict about the cattle?
3. How do the boys amuse themselves back in Thalia?
4. What has technology done to the rural way of life?
5. What makes the strain less dangerous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Granddad want to drill for oil?
2. What does the State Vet tell Granddad about the cattle?
3. What does Lonnie think about in the Prologue?
4. How does Lonnie feel after hearing the conversation between Hud and Granddad and what does he do?
5. How does Granddad come to marry his second wife?
6. For what is Hud late the next morning and what is Granny's response?
7. What do the boys do after returning to Thalia?
8. What does Halmea think Jesse needs and what is his response?
9. Where does Lonnie want to go and why does he say he wants to do so?
10. How does Mr. Burris reassure Granddad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Setting as far as place and time play an important role in Horseman, Pass By. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast several aspects of the setting of that day from how it would be today. Consider things such as cultural norms/expectations, technology, religion and medicine.
2. Do you think Horseman, Pass By would be different if it were set in another state in the United States, such as California, in that same era? Consider particularly the fact that Texans often have a strong identification as Texans.
3. What issues that are present in the time of Horseman, Pass By would still be issues today? What would no longer be issues? Consider such things as class, racism, alcoholism, sexual freedom, rugged individualism and integrity.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Halmea's relationship with Hud. What are the predominant emotions the two feel towards each other? How does Hud use Halmea to make himself feel better? What are the reasons for Hud raping Halmea (both those stated and those implied). Is the relationship only based upon power?
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Halmea's relationship with Lonnie. How does Lonnie view Halmea? Is the relationship healthy? Would Lonnie have the same relationship with Halmea if Lonnie's mother were still alive? What if Lonnie had a girlfriend?
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Halmea's relationship with Granny. How does Granny view Halmea? Halmea view Granny? Is there any caring between the two? Is the relationship only based upon power? Does Granny care about Halmea?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 1, Halmea tells Jesse that what Jesse needs is a wife and children, but Jesse answers that he has enough trouble getting by on his own, without having to support a family. Discuss the following:
1. Based on details in the book, do you think Granddad would agree that a man needs a wife? Explain fully.
2. Hud seems the opposite of Granddad as far as settling down goes. He is 35 and has not been married. Fully discuss why you think Hud has not married and if you think he should take Halmea's advice to Jesse for himself. Do you think Halmea would advise Hud to settle down and marry?
3. Evaluate Jesse's reply to Halmea's advice and Jesse's character throughout the book and discuss whether you think Jesse is using finances as an excuse not to marry.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)