|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the storekeeper ignore?
2. Why doesn't Granddad want to call the state vet?
3. What does Hud reply when Granddad asks Hud's opinion of the situation?
4. Who returns as Lonnie is just getting up the next morning?
5. What makes the strain less dangerous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Granddad want to drill for oil?
2. What does Lonzo suggest and what is Granddad's response?
3. What does Lonnie think about in the Prologue?
4. Describe Lonnie's family members who live at the ranch.
5. What is Granddad's response to Newt's suggestion?
6. How does Granddad come to marry his second wife?
7. What does Newt say about the dead heifer?
8. How do Jesse's stories affect Lonnie?
9. For what is Hud late the next morning and what is Granny's response?
10. What happens that makes Halmea cry and what is her response to Lonnie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Texas in the mid 1950's is fertile ground for racism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research the existence of racism in Texas in the mid 1950s and analyze Horseman, Pass By for its accuracy and/or inaccuracy in its portrayal of racism.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of racism througout Horseman, Pass By. Who are the most obvious racists? Who are perhaps subltly racist? Are any of the characters free of prejudice? Who? Why do you say so?
3. Halmea leaves Texas for Detroit to start a new life. Research racism in the North and write about the type of racism Halmea is likely to encounter up north. Write a paper comparing racism in the North to that which occurs in Horseman, Pass By.
Essay Topic 2
Some plots seem to be more character-driven and some more action-driven; some seem balanced. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. What type of plot do you think Horseman, Pass By is? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the character Granddad. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Do you think he is a protagonist or antagonist? Why
2. Thoroughly discuss the character Hud. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise? Would you want him as a friend? As an enemy?
3. Thoroughly discuss the character of Lonnie. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise? Would you want him as a friend?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)