|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Larry feel about Hud?
2. What makes Lonnie want to travel?
3. What else has technology done?
4. Why doesn't Granddad want to call the state vet?
5. What is Granddad unwilling to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the vet want to do to determine the strain of the disease and why does he want to do so?
2. What happens that makes Halmea cry and what is her response to Lonnie?
3. What is Granddad's response to Newt's suggestion?
4. How does Mr. Burris reassure Granddad?
5. What happens to Lonnie while helping test the cattle and what does he do?
6. What does Halmea think Jesse needs and what is his response?
7. Where does Lonnie go that evening with Jesse and Lonzo and whom does he see?
8. For what is Hud late the next morning and what is Granny's response?
9. Who is Halmea and what does Lonnie think of her?
10. How does Granddad come to marry his second wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Texas in the mid 1950's is fertile ground for racism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research the existence of racism in Texas in the mid 1950s and analyze Horseman, Pass By for its accuracy and/or inaccuracy in its portrayal of racism.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of racism througout Horseman, Pass By. Who are the most obvious racists? Who are perhaps subltly racist? Are any of the characters free of prejudice? Who? Why do you say so?
3. Halmea leaves Texas for Detroit to start a new life. Research racism in the North and write about the type of racism Halmea is likely to encounter up north. Write a paper comparing racism in the North to that which occurs in Horseman, Pass By.
Essay Topic 2
Horseman, Pass By, unlike perhaps a majority of novels, does not end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Horseman, Pass By and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Horseman, Pass By is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
4. Discuss two ideas from Horseman, Pass By that you find intriguing and why.
Essay Topic 3
Hud cannot forgive Granddad for not helping Hud avoid the draft during WWII. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss what Hud says about Granddad and WWII.
2. Do you think Granddad is right or wrong in refusing to help Hud stay out of the war?
3. What do you think Granddad's motives were in not helping Hud stay out of the war?
4. Do you think Hud uses Granddad's action about WWII as an excuse to behave the way he does to Granddad?
5. Why do you think Hud wanted to avoid going to war? Is it understandable? Is a person who does not want to go to war a coward? Are there honorable reasons for not being willing to become a soldier and go to war?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)