|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Granddad have to ask for assistance?
2. What does Lonnie think young people want to do in the present?
3. How do the boys amuse themselves back in Thalia?
4. About what does Lonnie reminisce in the Prologue?
5. What is most likely wrong with Granddad's cattle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hud say about Granddad?
2. What does Lonzo suggest and what is Granddad's response?
3. What does the State Vet tell Granddad about the cattle?
4. What does Halmea think Jesse needs and what is his response?
5. How does Lonnie feel after hearing the conversation between Hud and Granddad and what does he do?
6. Who cooks breakfast for all the men and who is not there?
7. How does Lonnie feel about the new technology?
8. What happens to Jesse and Lonzo, and how does Jesse react?
9. Describe Lonnie's family members who live at the ranch.
10. What do the men on the ranch do the next day?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Halmea's relationship with Hud. What are the predominant emotions the two feel towards each other? How does Hud use Halmea to make himself feel better? What are the reasons for Hud raping Halmea (both those stated and those implied). Is the relationship only based upon power?
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Halmea's relationship with Lonnie. How does Lonnie view Halmea? Is the relationship healthy? Would Lonnie have the same relationship with Halmea if Lonnie's mother were still alive? What if Lonnie had a girlfriend?
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Halmea's relationship with Granny. How does Granny view Halmea? Halmea view Granny? Is there any caring between the two? Is the relationship only based upon power? Does Granny care about Halmea?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Define the concept of family and give a few hypothetical examples of how you define a family unit.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of family in Horseman, Pass By. Are Granddad, Granny, Hud and Lonnie a family? Where does Halmea fall in this set up? Jesse? Lonzo?
3. What do you think Lonnie would say about the concept of family in his life? Do you think he sees Granny and Hud as family along with Granddad? Why or why not.
4. What do you think Hud would say about the concept of family in his life? Do you think he sees Granddad and Lonnie as family? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Horseman, Pass By, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Do you think it is harder to identify the plot in a fantasy novel than some others? Why or why not?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Horseman, Pass By . They may not contain every element of a major plot. Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
This section contains 3,345 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)