Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Granddad have to ask for assistance?
2. What does Lonnie think young people want to do in the present?
3. How do the boys amuse themselves back in Thalia?
4. About what does Lonnie reminisce in the Prologue?
5. What is most likely wrong with Granddad's cattle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hud say about Granddad?
2. What does Lonzo suggest and what is Granddad's response?
3. What does the State Vet tell Granddad about the cattle?
4. What does Halmea think Jesse needs and what is his response?
5. How does Lonnie feel after hearing the conversation between Hud and Granddad and what does he do?
6. Who cooks breakfast for all the men and who is not there?
7. How does Lonnie feel about the new technology?
8. What happens to Jesse and Lonzo, and how does Jesse react?
9. Describe Lonnie's family members who live at the ranch.
10. What do the men on the ranch do the next day?
There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book -- questions that McMurtry may have wanted readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term author agenda mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the author's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss McMurtry's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Halmea's relationship with Hud. What are the predominant emotions the two feel towards each other? How does Hud use Halmea to make himself feel better? What are the reasons for Hud raping Halmea (both those stated and those implied). Is the relationship only based upon power?
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Halmea's relationship with Lonnie. How does Lonnie view Halmea? Is the relationship healthy? Would Lonnie have the same relationship with Halmea if Lonnie's mother were still alive? What if Lonnie had a girlfriend?
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Halmea's relationship with Granny. How does Granny view Halmea? Halmea view Granny? Is there any caring between the two? Is the relationship only based upon power? Does Granny care about Halmea?
Hud cannot forgive Granddad for not helping Hud avoid the draft during WWII. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss what Hud says about Granddad and WWII.
2. Do you think Granddad is right or wrong in refusing to help Hud stay out of the war?
3. What do you think Granddad's motives were in not helping Hud stay out of the war?
4. Do you think Hud uses Granddad's action about WWII as an excuse to behave the way he does to Granddad?
5. Why do you think Hud wanted to avoid going to war? Is it understandable? Is a person who does not want to go to war a coward? Are there honorable reasons for not being willing to become a soldier and go to war?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)