|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the storekeeper ignore?
2. What does Hud think should be done about the heifer?
3. Who drives Lonnie's friends home?
4. What does Halmea do that is meaningful to Lonnie?
5. What makes Lonnie leave the stockyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Newt say about the dead heifer?
2. What happens when the state vet arrives the next day at the ranch?
3. Where does Lonnie go that evening with Jesse and Lonzo and whom does he see?
4. What is Hud's response on the way back from the stockyards when Granddad asks his opinion about the cattle?
5. How does Lonnie feel about the new technology?
6. How does Mr. Burris reassure Granddad?
7. What does the vet want to do to determine the strain of the disease and why does he want to do so?
8. What does Lonnie think about in the Prologue?
9. Who is Halmea and what does Lonnie think of her?
10. Why do Lonnie, Hud and Granddad go to the stockyards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Define the concept of family and give a few hypothetical examples of how you define a family unit.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of family in Horseman, Pass By. Are Granddad, Granny, Hud and Lonnie a family? Where does Halmea fall in this set up? Jesse? Lonzo?
3. What do you think Lonnie would say about the concept of family in his life? Do you think he sees Granny and Hud as family along with Granddad? Why or why not.
4. What do you think Hud would say about the concept of family in his life? Do you think he sees Granddad and Lonnie as family? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 1, Halmea tells Jesse that what Jesse needs is a wife and children, but Jesse answers that he has enough trouble getting by on his own, without having to support a family. Discuss the following:
1. Based on details in the book, do you think Granddad would agree that a man needs a wife? Explain fully.
2. Hud seems the opposite of Granddad as far as settling down goes. He is 35 and has not been married. Fully discuss why you think Hud has not married and if you think he should take Halmea's advice to Jesse for himself. Do you think Halmea would advise Hud to settle down and marry?
3. Evaluate Jesse's reply to Halmea's advice and Jesse's character throughout the book and discuss whether you think Jesse is using finances as an excuse not to marry.
Essay Topic 3
Often titles reveal much about one or more aspects of a novel. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think is the purpose of a title? How closely related to a major theme(s) of a book do you think a title should be?
2. The phrase Horseman, Pass By is derived from a poem, "Under Ben Bulben," by William Butler Yeats. Research this reference and discuss the connection it may have to McMurtry's book.
3. If you were the writer of Horseman, Pass By and your editor says the title must be changed, what would you choose? Why?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)