|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Lonnie dream?
(a) Moving in the bunkhouse and becoming a real cowboy.
(b) Owning the ranch someday.
(d) He is too drunk to dream.
2. What makes Lonnie want to travel?
(a) Listening to Jesse's stories.
(b) The bad home situation.
(c) Reading travel magazines.
(d) Hearing about WWII in Europe from Hud.
3. What does Lonzo suggest?
(a) Sneaking the cattle off.
(b) Resting the next day until the vet returns.
(c) Fighting the government.
(d) Getting a second opinion.
4. What does the state vet take with him for examination?
(a) Blood specimens from several other of the cattle.
(b) The heifer's tongue.
(d) The heifer's brain.
5. Why is Mr. Burris dismayed?
(a) Because Granny is not there for him to see her.
(b) Because they opened up the heifer's carcass.
(c) Because Jesse is working as a ranch hand.
(d) Because Lonnie and his friends made so much noise in the show.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Burris suggest as an alternative means for money?
2. What happens when Lonnie's father is shooting a snake that is about to bite Lonnie's grandmother?
3. How does Granddad feel about his cows?
4. What does Hud think should be done about the heifer?
5. What does Lonnie do in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hud's response on the way back from the stockyards when Granddad asks his opinion about the cattle?
2. What do Lonnie's friends decide to do after a few games of pool and why are they successful?
3. What happens when the state vet arrives the next day at the ranch?
4. How does Mr. Burris reassure Granddad?
5. How do Jesse's stories affect Lonnie?
6. Who is Newt Garrett and why does he come to the ranch?
7. What happens that makes Halmea cry and what is her response to Lonnie?
8. Where does Lonnie want to go and why does he say he wants to do so?
9. How does Granddad come to marry his second wife?
10. Who is Jesse and when does he arrive at the ranch?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)