|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jesse?
(a) Hud's school buddy.
(b) Halmea's grandson.
(c) The new hired hand.
(d) Larry's half brother.
2. Who is Mr. Burris?
(a) The state vet.
(b) The movie theater manager in Thalia.
(c) An old friend of Granddad.
(d) Jesse's uncle.
3. About what does the vet assure Granddad?
(a) He will be able to raise cattle in three years.
(b) The disease does not have a long life span.
(c) Granddad is doing the moral thing.
(d) He will be paid for the dead cattle.
4. What does Hud say to Granddad about the ranch?
(a) Hud could care less about the ranch.
(b) Hud will get it from Granddad by any means possible.
(c) Hud will kill Lonnie before the ranch becomes Lonnie's.
(d) Hud wants to be equal partners in ownership.
5. How old is Lonnie at the opening of Chapter 1?
6. How does Lonnie deal with his restlessness?
(a) Doing drugs.
(c) Shooting frogs.
(d) Riding his horse into the wilderness.
7. Of what is Granddad suspicious?
(a) What has happened to the heifer.
(b) About what Hud will do when his mother dies.
(c) Of Hud giving Larry girlie magazines.
(d) What Hud was doing in town.
8. What does Hud do to anyone who seems weak?
(a) Patiently teaches them.
(b) Ignores them.
(c) Teases them.
(d) Knocks them around.
9. What does the vet want to do to a few of the cattle and horses?
(a) Take them to the state vet ranch for observation.
(b) Nothing yet.
(c) Infect them with blood from the dead heifer.
(d) Shoot them and then examine their brains.
10. What does Halmea do that is meaningful to Lonnie?
(a) She sponges his face.
(b) She kisses him on the forehead.
(c) She brings him lemonade.
(d) She reads to him while he is sick.
11. What makes Lonnie want to travel?
(a) The bad home situation.
(b) Hearing about WWII in Europe from Hud.
(c) Reading travel magazines.
(d) Listening to Jesse's stories.
12. Who is Halmea?
(a) The Black cook.
(b) Hud's current girlfriend.
(c) The maid on the neighbor's farm.
(d) An old Black man who used to be the gardener.
13. Why does Lonnie keep working after he is hurt?
(a) He doesn't realize how badly he is injured.
(b) He fears ridicule.
(c) There is a girl there he is trying to impress.
(d) There is so much to do.
14. Who is looking into other options for Granddad?
(a) Granddad's lawyer.
(b) A Judge.
(d) Grandad's accountant.
15. What does Lonnie think young people want to do in the present?
(b) Experience all the excitement they can find in life.
(c) Eat, sleep and do drugs.
(d) Stay on the family farms and feel connected.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lonnie end up the morning after hearing Hud and Granddad's conversation?
2. What does the state vet take with him for examination?
3. How do the boys amuse themselves back in Thalia?
4. What else has technology done?
5. How long do the men work with the cattle?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)