|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the storekeeper ignore the situation with Lonnie and his friends?
(a) There are no cops around.
(b) They are basically good boys.
(c) The two women are obviously prostitutes.
(d) The Texans generally have more money.
2. How do the boys amuse themselves back in Thalia?
(a) Rating girls.
(b) Spitting contests.
(c) Peeing contests.
3. What makes the strain less dangerous?
(a) If it kills within 5 days.
(b) If it can infect across species.
(c) If it can be passed by touch.
(d) If it takes a couple weeks to kill since it then infects more.
4. Of what does Jesse complain?
(a) That his brother took most of the family's money.
(b) That he has the worst luck.
(c) That his brother does not share his wages with their mother.
(d) That the girl he wanted to meet is with some other man.
5. Who is looking into other options for Granddad?
(a) Grandad's accountant.
(c) Granddad's lawyer.
(d) A Judge.
6. How does Larry feel about Hud?
(a) Envies him but avoids him.
(b) Adores him.
(c) Hates him.
(d) Looks up to him and hopes to be like him.
7. What do all the men start doing the next morning?
(a) Rounding up cattle.
(c) Fixing their riding gear.
(d) Culling young bulls from the herd.
8. Who counsels Lonnie to not waste time thinking about "what if?"
(a) Mr. Burris.
9. What is Granddad's response to Mr. Burris?
(a) He will do what he can to help eradicate the disease.
(b) He has no response.
(c) He wants to try the experimental vaccine.
(d) He won't raise any more cattle and will go for the oil.
10. What does Jesse do as the others return to the house?
(a) Go to search for the heifer.
(b) Go to visit his girlfriend who is the cook at the nearest neighbor's.
(c) Go into town to call the state vet.
(d) Stay in the pasture.
11. What was life like before the arrival of mass communication?
(a) Families were closer.
(c) More interesting.
(d) More dangerous.
12. What happens when Lonnie's father is shooting a snake that is about to bite Lonnie's grandmother?
(a) The snake bites Lonnie's father who later dies.
(b) The bullet ricochets and kills Lonnie's father.
(c) The bullet ricochets and kills Lonnie's mother.
(d) The bullet ricochets and kills Lonnie's grandmother.
13. What does Lonnie do with his buddies?
(a) Goes to a dance.
(b) Searches for clues in the hills of the source of the diseaese.
(d) Goes to the state line to get beer.
14. Why does Hud stay in town the night before he is to take Granny to the city?
(a) He is with a woman.
(b) He gets drunk and falls asleep.
(c) He runs out of gas and has to wait for the station to open.
(d) He is avoiding a storm.
15. What is Halmea doing in the kitchen when Lonnie carries in groceries?
(a) Sharpening a butcher's knife.
(b) Making biscuits.
(c) Crying and holding her breast.
(d) Sitting at the table drinking coffee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Burris say needs to be done?
2. For what does Lonnie get permission the night after the state vet comes back?
3. Who does Lonnie see in Thalia?
4. Who returns as Lonnie is just getting up the next morning?
5. Of what is Granddad suspicious?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)