|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the vet want to do to a few of the cattle and horses?
(a) Nothing yet.
(b) Take them to the state vet ranch for observation.
(c) Infect them with blood from the dead heifer.
(d) Shoot them and then examine their brains.
2. How does Lonnie deal with his restlessness?
(b) Doing drugs.
(c) Riding his horse into the wilderness.
(d) Shooting frogs.
3. What do the boys agree to do?
(a) Drive to Cement to see for themselves.
(b) Drive to Oklahoma City to see for themselves.
(c) Have a shooting contest to decide who is right.
(d) Fight for their town's honor.
4. How does Lonnie feel after observing the crowds in Thalia?
(a) As if he will die if he has to stay there much longer.
(b) Like a naive country bumpkin.
(c) Like the whole world is crazy.
(d) Like his town is the best in the state.
5. What happens to the milk cows Granddad bought?
(a) He sends them back to the seller.
(b) Fortunately, he has not paid for them, so he cancels the order.
(c) He boards them at Hank's ranch.
(d) He sells them to Hank.
6. Who does the state vet bring on his return to the ranch?
(a) A bovine epidemiologist.
(b) Several technicians.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) No one.
7. For what does Lonnie get permission the night after the state vet comes back?
(a) To skip dinner.
(b) To go to the neighbor's .
(c) To go into Thalia.
(d) To go to the city.
8. What else has technology done?
(a) Changed things forever.
(b) Helped save Lonnie's sister's life.
(c) Made Lonnie's family lose their farm.
(d) Helped save Lonnie's father's life.
9. What does the state vet take with him for examination?
(a) The heifer's tongue.
(c) Blood specimens from several other of the cattle.
(d) The heifer's brain.
10. What does Hud say about Halmea when Lonnie asks?
(a) Hud does not know why Halmea is crying.
(b) That Halmea probably is having her women's curses.
(c) That Hud had grabbed Halmea's breast.
(d) That Hud asked Halmea for breakfast after the kitchen was cleaned.
11. About what does Lonnie reminisce in the Prologue?
(a) His father's recent death.
(b) His upcoming marriage.
(c) His sister's recent death.
(d) His childhood on his family ranch in Texas.
12. What do all the men start doing the next morning?
(a) Rounding up cattle.
(c) Culling young bulls from the herd.
(d) Fixing their riding gear.
13. Who counsels Lonnie to not waste time thinking about "what if?"
(d) Mr. Burris.
14. What does Hud say to Granddad about the ranch?
(a) Hud could care less about the ranch.
(b) Hud will get it from Granddad by any means possible.
(c) Hud wants to be equal partners in ownership.
(d) Hud will kill Lonnie before the ranch becomes Lonnie's.
15. What is one of Lonnie's grandfather's most noticeable characteristics?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hud stay in town the night before he is to take Granny to the city?
2. What is the one exciting event of the year for the town of Thalia?
3. Why had Hud advised Granddad not to buy the cattle that was infected?
4. What does Lonnie say he wants to do?
5. What has happened to a heifer on the ranch?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)