|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Granddad have to ask for assistance?
(a) The United States government.
(b) No one.
(d) The State of Texas.
2. Why is Mr. Burris dismayed?
(a) Because Jesse is working as a ranch hand.
(b) Because Granny is not there for him to see her.
(c) Because they opened up the heifer's carcass.
(d) Because Lonnie and his friends made so much noise in the show.
3. What else has technology done?
(a) Helped save Lonnie's sister's life.
(b) Changed things forever.
(c) Helped save Lonnie's father's life.
(d) Made Lonnie's family lose their farm.
4. What do Lonnie, Jesse and Lonzo do in Thalia?
(a) Have ice cream at the soda fountain.
(b) Try to pick up girls.
(c) Go to the movies.
(d) Register for school.
5. What does Hud do to anyone who seems weak?
(a) Ignores them.
(b) Knocks them around.
(c) Patiently teaches them.
(d) Teases them.
6. What does Hud reply when Granddad asks Hud's opinion of the situation?
(a) Granddad is 15 years too late in asking.
(b) They should go for oil on the land.
(c) They should wait and see what the vet says.
(d) He thinks they should try to sell the cattle across the border.
7. What does a visiting cousin insist?
(a) That Thalia is no worse than Oklahoma City.
(b) That he and his cousin have to get home.
(c) That Oklahoma City is better than Thalia.
(d) That Cement, Oklahoma is even better than Thalia.
8. What does the storekeeper ignore?
(a) Lonnie and his friends are underage.
(b) The boys are not from Oklahoma.
(c) Lonnie and his friends do not live in that town.
(d) The boys treat the two women with them rather roughly.
9. Of what is Granddad suspicious?
(a) Of Hud giving Larry girlie magazines.
(b) About what Hud will do when his mother dies.
(c) What has happened to the heifer.
(d) What Hud was doing in town.
10. What makes Lonnie want to travel?
(a) Listening to Jesse's stories.
(b) Hearing about WWII in Europe from Hud.
(c) Reading travel magazines.
(d) The bad home situation.
11. What does Lonnie do in the middle of the night?
(a) Prays for a way to leave the ranch.
(b) Goes in to threaten Hud.
(c) Tries to write more of his book.
(d) Goes to Halmea's little house.
12. What does Lonnie say he wants to do?
(a) Go right to bed because he's exhausted.
(b) Visit Granny.
(c) Buy groceries.
(d) Ask the neighbor's about their cattle.
13. What does Halmea think Jesse needs?
(a) A job on a more modern ranch.
(b) A wife and children.
(c) To work as a mechanic at the new service station.
(d) To move to California, the land of opportunity.
14. What happens to Lonnie when he is getting a cow into the chute?
(a) He breaks his leg.
(b) He breaks his wrist.
(c) He gets kicked into the fence and gets a concussion.
(d) He slips and twists an ankle.
15. What has happened to a heifer on the ranch?
(a) It has disappeared.
(b) It has dropped dead.
(c) It has been wounded by a wild cat.
(d) It ripped itself on barbed wire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is most likely wrong with Granddad's cattle?
2. What does Lonzo suggest?
3. How does Lonnie feel after observing the crowds in Thalia?
4. What is the one exciting event of the year for the town of Thalia?
5. Of what does Lonnie dream?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)