|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lonnie keep working after he is hurt?
(a) He fears ridicule.
(b) There is so much to do.
(c) He doesn't realize how badly he is injured.
(d) There is a girl there he is trying to impress.
2. What is Granddad unwilling to do?
(a) Shoot his cattle.
(b) He does not say.
(c) Let the government deal with the cattle.
(d) Keep his cattle.
3. What is Larry's grandmother's most outstanding characteristic?
(c) Crabbiness with complaints.
4. What does Hud say about Halmea when Lonnie asks?
(a) Hud does not know why Halmea is crying.
(b) That Hud had grabbed Halmea's breast.
(c) That Hud asked Halmea for breakfast after the kitchen was cleaned.
(d) That Halmea probably is having her women's curses.
5. What does the state vet do to the ranch?
(a) Put it under quarantine.
(b) Tell Granddad that the cattle must be shot.
(d) Temporarily clear it for moving healthy cattle.
6. What does Mr. Burris bring with him to the ranch?
(b) A vaccine for the cattle.
(c) A questionnaire for them to fill out.
(d) An order from the State Agriculture Department.
7. What does Hud predict about the cattle?
(a) They will be saved by the new antibiotics.
(b) They don't have the disease.
(c) They can be sold to Mexicans if Granddad will let him.
(d) They will all have to die.
8. Why is Mr. Burris dismayed?
(a) Because Lonnie and his friends made so much noise in the show.
(b) Because Jesse is working as a ranch hand.
(c) Because Granny is not there for him to see her.
(d) Because they opened up the heifer's carcass.
9. How old is Lonnie at the opening of Chapter 1?
10. Who does Lonnie see in Thalia?
(a) His buddies.
(b) A two-headed cow.
(c) A girl with whom he wants to go out.
(d) A poster about the upcoming state fair.
11. Of what does the state vet think the heifer died?
(a) Hoof-and-mouth disease.
(b) Unguent fever.
(c) He has no idea.
12. Who drives Lonnie's friends home?
(a) A Texas Ranger.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) The cousin.
13. How does Granddad respond to Lonzo's suggestion?
(a) He plans to start moving the cattle to the hills the next morning.
(b) He wants to wait to see the outcome.
(c) He calls in another vet.
(d) He tells everyone they don't have time to rest.
14. How does Larry feel about Hud?
(a) Hates him.
(b) Looks up to him and hopes to be like him.
(c) Envies him but avoids him.
(d) Adores him.
15. Where does Lonnie end up the morning after hearing Hud and Granddad's conversation?
(a) Drunk in the hayloft.
(b) At Halmea's window.
(c) In the city.
(d) In the Northern pasture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the vet want to do to a few of the cattle and horses?
2. What is most likely wrong with Granddad's cattle?
3. What does Newt say about the heifer?
4. What does Lonnie think young people want to do in the present?
5. What if the strain of disease only infects cows?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)