|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hwin do when she realizes Rabadash has crossed the desert?
2. What does Lord Darrin compliment Shasta on?
3. How does the King react to Shasta?
4. Why did the Lion chase Bree and Hwin on the night they met?
5. What does Prince Cor ask Aravis to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Aravis get angry with herself after awaking up?
2. What does the Centaur say about Prince Cor?
3. How is Bree changed from the way he was at the beginning of the story?
4. What does Shasta tell King Edmund?
5. Why does Bree have difficulty keeping pushing himself after reaching the valley?
6. How does King Lune react to Shasta's news about Prince Rabadash's army?
7. How does Shasta convince himself that he didn't dream about the Lion?
8. Why doesn't Shasta yell at Bree to gallop faster?
9. What does the Tisroc say he'll do if the Prince's plan fails?
10. What is the advantage to the Tisroc if Prince Rabadash's plan succeeds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In presenting Calormen, C.S. Lewis is contrasting a very different culture to that of Narnia. What are the origins of this world? Write an essay describing the possible inspiration of the Calormen culture.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that examines the tone and voice of the author. How is it different or similar to other fantasy stories? Does it draw the reader into the story, or keep them at a distance. Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay tracking the use of foreshadowing in this book. List the clues that foreshadow later events and explain how they help the reader understand what follows afterward.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)