|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a scimitar?
2. Why does Prince Corin get angry at Shasta?
3. What did Shasta find in the saddlebags?
4. What does Mr. Tumnus think has happened to Shasta?
5. Why does the cat scratch Shasta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aravis sad when she enters the gates of Tashbaan?
2. Why did Prince Corin disappear the day before?
3. What does Shasta find most different about the place where he awakens?
4. What does Shasta agree to do with Bree?
5. What plan does Mr. Tumnus come up with to escape the city?
6. What do the guards notice about the companions when they are passing into the city?
7. What does Shasta learn about himself from overhearing the Taarkaan and Arsheesh talking?
8. How does Shasta recognize Mount Pire among all the other mountains?
9. How do the companions plan to get through Tashbaan?
10. What is Shasta tempted to do after he is left alone to rest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this fantasy story, there are magical beings and there are beings who use magic. And there are humans. Why do you think the author chose to keep the humans non-magical?
Essay Topic 2
In this story, four companions are trying to find freedom, even though only two of them can really be considered slaves, and one of them is an upperclass lady. Write an essay that explores the concepts of Freedom and Slavery in The Horse and His Boy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that examines the tone and voice of the author. How is it different or similar to other fantasy stories? Does it draw the reader into the story, or keep them at a distance. Use examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)