|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bree stop the other horse?
2. What does Shasta do when he is told to leave?
3. Bree makes sure to start their journey by
4. What frightens Bree the most?
5. What is the most likely meaning for the phrase "the sun appeared dark in her eyes?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shasta do when Bree and Hwin show up?
2. Why is Shasta so interested in Sallowpad's description of the different ways across the desert?
3. Why does Bree get worried about his habit of rolling in the grass?
4. What justification does Bree give for using the Tarkaan's money?
5. Why do Aravis and Lasaraleen have so much difficulty understanding each other?
6. Why did Hwin reveal that she could talk to Aravis?
7. What does Shasta think may have happened to the others when they aren't at the tomb?
8. What does Aravis realize about Bree and Shasta after spending time with Lasaraleen?
9. What does Shasta learn about himself from overhearing the Taarkaan and Arsheesh talking?
10. What does Shasta agree to do with Bree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the way information is conveyed from one person or place to another. How is the author exploring the theme of messengers in this story?
Essay Topic 2
One of the major themes in this book is about friendship. Examine the story arcs of the four companions and write an essay describing how they all become friends.
Essay Topic 3
Mistaken identities abound in this story. Write an essay that explores the many times that people (or animals) in this story are thought to be different from who they really are. What conclusions can you reach about these mistaken identities?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)