|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bush signal to the captain of the Princess as Meadows is reading orders?
2. What is positive about the cabin?
3. Who interrupts Meadows reading his orders?
4. Why does Baddlestone agree to Hornblower's plan?
5. What is the verdict against Meadows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Princess ride so roughly?
2. What are Hornblower's quarters like aboard the Princess?
3. Describe Hornblower's part in Meadows' court martial.
4. What does Hornblower wonder about the court martial and who answers his question?
5. What is the purpose of the water-hoy coming alongside the Hotspur?
6. What is the outcome of Meadows' court martial?
7. What are Hornblower's thoughts about the Hotspur as the Princess pulls away from the other vessel?
8. What does the lookout spy and what becomes obvious to those aboard the Princess?
9. What does Captain Meadows say about Baddlestone when Hornblower asks?
10. How is Hornblower feeling and why is that surprising to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 2 on board the Princess, Hornblower ponders his personal future. He has been promised a promotion to post captain but wonders if the promotion will actually be given. There are many, many captains waiting for a command. Even if promoted, as the most-junior captain he may simply sit ashore and watch the war pass him by. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Hornblower is anxious to go back to war? Do you think he is fearless? Suicidal? Courageous?
2. Do you think Hornblower, as many young people, seems to hold the belief that he will not be the one to be killed? Discuss fully.
3. After returning to England, Hornblower suffers what would today be labeled post-traumatic stress from the memory of the bloody battle on the French brig. Do you think Hornblower is as eager to go back to the war now that he has had an up-close sample of hacking men to death? Discuss fully.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation with Hornblower providing transportation to Napoleon III in "The Last Encounter."
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of Captain Baddlestone's name, Hornblower's name, the weighted packet, the vessel named Princess...and three other symbols you choose to analyze.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in the Hornblower During Crisis, "Hornblower's Temptation, and "The Last Encounter."
Essay Topic 3
Hornblower During Crisis and "The Last Encounter," like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. Do you think "Hornblower's Temptation" ends on a "happy note"? Why or why not?
3. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of HORNBLOWER DURING THE CRISIS, "Hornblower's Temptation" and "The Last Encounter" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why these three titles are or are not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)