|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower suggest could be used from the document?
(a) That they could use Josephine's signature to make Napoleon doubt her.
(b) That they could set up an ambush at the location mentioned.
(c) That the seal and signature could be copied and false orders created.
(d) That they could use Napoleon's signature to create a false treaty that would then be circulated.
2. How does Maria act when Hornblower arrives?
3. What does Hornblower order the men to do to the French brig?
(a) Destroy it as much as possible.
(b) Sink it.
(d) Set it afire.
4. How is Hornblower feeling as he arrives home?
5. Who is Mr. Barrow?
(a) The Prince of Wales' aide de camp.
(b) The secretary to Admiral Pembroke.
(c) The assistant to the secretary to the admiralty.
(d) The secretary to Admiral Huffington.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will Hornblower be shortly meeting after he says yes to the mission?
2. Who does Meadows charge?
3. When is McCool hanged?
4. What does Hornblower do with the sea chest?
5. What impresses Marsden about Hornblower?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight to gain control of the French brig.
2. What do the formerly sleeping watch sailors do as Hornblower is contemplating what to do with the ship?
3. What do Hornblower and his men do when the prize crew arrives?
4. How does Marsden describe the encounter between Calder and Villeneuve?
5. What indications are there that the weighted packet Hornblower takes off the French brig might be important?
6. Why is Hornblower privy to the information passed with the signal flags?
7. What is the final outcome (according to an author's note) of Hornblower delivering false orders to Villeneuve?
8. What does Hornblower hand over to Marsden and Barrow, and what do they make of it?
9. What does Hornblower do mostly because he is so tired and what is the response of Marsden?
10. What is most useful about the document that Hornblower brings to the admiralty?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)