|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bothers Hornblower a little about his participation in the plan?
(a) That he'll be acting alone and be disavowed if caught.
(b) That he won't be able to tell Maria where he is.
(c) Being a spy.
(d) Not being home when Maria gives birth to his second child.
2. What bothers Hornblower about the letter from McCool?
(a) The pictures.
(b) The platitudes.
(c) The poem.
3. What impresses Marsden about Hornblower?
(a) Hornblower's keen insight.
(b) Hornblower's intelligence and powers of observation.
(c) Hornblower's connections.
(d) Hornblower's willingness to do what needs to be done.
4. What does McCool give Hornblower?
(a) His knife.
(b) His favorite sword.
(c) A letter full of platitudes and a bizarre poem.
(d) His gold cufflings.
5. What do the English do after the fighting?
(a) Prepare for another fight as they let the sleeping watch come topside.
(b) Set fire to the ship.
(d) Batten down the hatches to seal off the watch below.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what ship is Hornblower assigned?
2. What surprises Marsden when Hornblower looks at the document?
3. Who lectures Hornblower?
4. What is Hornblower contemplating as he leaves the admiralty?
5. Where is Hornblower going after he has visited his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final outcome (according to an author's note) of Hornblower delivering false orders to Villeneuve?
2. How does Marsden describe the encounter between Calder and Villeneuve?
3. What does Hornblower do mostly because he is so tired and what is the response of Marsden?
4. Describe the fight to gain control of the French brig.
5. What are Hornblower's thoughts about Ireland's plight?
6. Describe Hornblower's actions up until he meets with Marsden.
7. What does Hornblower do while the men are destroying the ship?
8. What are several factors that cause Marsden to be impressed with Hornblower?
9. What are the setting and circumstances at the opening of this short story?
10. How do the Englishmen get over to the French brig?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)