|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is passage aboard the water hoy uncomfortable?
(a) The hoy only has one place to stand comfortably and that's where they ship's owner stands.
(b) She has no ballast and thus rides rough.
(c) It is very damp and smelly.
(d) The Captain will not give Hornblower quarters.
2. Who comes over to the Princess?
(a) Admiral Leighton.
(b) Men from the Hotspur.
(c) Admiral Cornwallis.
(d) Captain Johnson.
3. How does Hotspur get off being aground?
(a) Pulled off the sandbar by a French privateer.
(b) Pulled off the sandbar by a merchant vessel.
(c) By the action of the rising tide.
(d) Pulled off by another vessel in the Channel fleet.
4. What does Baddlestone ask of Hornblower immediately upon Hornblower's arrival on the Princess?
(a) If Hornblower could climb the riggings.
(b) If Hornblower would like dinner.
(c) If Hornblower needed to use the head.
(d) Hornblower's warrant.
5. What does Hotspur's new commander look like?
(a) Short and mousy.
(b) Short and extremely muscular.
(c) Burly and quite tall.
(d) Average height with a full, bushy red bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower learn when Baddlestone demands payment from Meadows?
2. How does Meadows seem to Hornblower?
3. What does it look like Meadows is doing as the Princess pulls away from Hotspur?
4. Why can't Baddlestone or his men be pressed?
5. What does Hornblower do after his testimony at the court martial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Baddlestone say about the strategic situation between Villeneuve's fleet and that of Nelson's fleet?
2. What bothers Hornblower about what Baddlestone tells Hornblower?
3. Why doesn't the Princess set sail immediately for England and how do the naval officers respond?
4. Who arrives at the Princess within a few hours after Baddlestone announces the results and why are they there?
5. What happens to the Hotspur?
6. What does Captain Meadows say about Baddlestone when Hornblower asks?
7. What happens when Captain Meadows begins to read his orders of command and what does Bush do?
8. Describe the interaction between Bush and Hornblower when Bush comes to tell Hornblower the water hoy has arrived.
9. What are Hornblower's quarters like aboard the Princess?
10. How is the space allocated aboard the Princess now with so many extra men?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)