|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is vital to keeping Bonaparte from crossing the English Channel?
(a) Reliable spies keeping track of the French fleet's movements.
(b) The French would never dare cross the channel.
(c) Concerted movements of the English fleet.
(d) Good cannons along the shore.
2. Why is passage aboard the water hoy uncomfortable?
(a) The Captain will not give Hornblower quarters.
(b) She has no ballast and thus rides rough.
(c) The hoy only has one place to stand comfortably and that's where they ship's owner stands.
(d) It is very damp and smelly.
3. Of what does Hornblower despair the next morning?
(a) Of ever reaching home.
(b) Of being on his own vessel again.
(c) Of getting used to the movements of the Princess.
(d) Of having a civil word from Baddlestone.
4. Who is better informed than Hornblower?
(a) No one.
5. With what do the men arm themselves?
(b) Whatever they can find.
(c) Pistols, swords, bayonets and staffs.
(d) Mostly pistols and one repeating rifle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Calder?
2. What does Princess do?
3. How long has Hornblower been involved in the blockade of Brest?
4. How does Bush react to Hornblower's teasing?
5. What does Bush signal to the captain of the Princess as Meadows is reading orders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the new commander of the Hotspur, Captain Meadows.
2. Describe Hornblower's leave-taking from the crew of the Hotspur.
3. How is the space allocated aboard the Princess now with so many extra men?
4. What does Hornblower wonder about the court martial and who answers his question?
5. How does Hornblower learn that Baddlestone overcharged him tremendously for passage aboard the Princess?
6. What are Hornblower's thoughts about the Hotspur as the Princess pulls away from the other vessel?
7. How do the English plan on destroying Villeneuve's fleet?
8. What bothers Hornblower about what Baddlestone tells Hornblower?
9. What happens when Captain Meadows begins to read his orders of command and what does Bush do?
10. Describe the interaction between Bush and Hornblower when Bush comes to tell Hornblower the water hoy has arrived.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)