|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Hotspur blockading?
(a) A French merchant fleet.
(b) A French squadron.
(c) A Dutch squadron.
(d) A Dutch merchant fleet.
2. Who huddles below deck?
(a) The extra men on the Princess.
(b) All the officers on the Princess.
(c) Captain Meadows.
(d) No one.
3. Why does Meadows assume command?
(a) Baddlestone asks him to.
(b) Hornblower asks it of him.
(c) Hornblower lets him in hopes he'll regain his honor.
(d) He is senior officer.
4. What do Hornblower and Bush both desire to avoid while saying their goodbyes?
(a) Bringing up some past unpleasantness.
(b) Acknowledging why Hornblower is leaving.
(c) Letting the crew thing the two men are friends.
5. Why is passage aboard the water hoy uncomfortable?
(a) She has no ballast and thus rides rough.
(b) It is very damp and smelly.
(c) The Captain will not give Hornblower quarters.
(d) The hoy only has one place to stand comfortably and that's where they ship's owner stands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hornblower doubt the promise made to him?
2. With what do the men arm themselves?
3. For what does Meadows say he'd give up his prize money for five years?
4. What is Hornblower forced to admit?
5. Who is Prowse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Princess ride so roughly?
2. What are Hornblower's quarters like aboard the Princess?
3. How is the space allocated aboard the Princess now with so many extra men?
4. What happens when Captain Meadows begins to read his orders of command and what does Bush do?
5. How is Hornblower feeling and why is that surprising to him?
6. What does Baddlestone say about the strategic situation between Villeneuve's fleet and that of Nelson's fleet?
7. About what does Hornblower muse?
8. Describe the new commander of the Hotspur, Captain Meadows.
9. Describe Captain Baddlestone.
10. What turns out to be a real challenge for Hornblower in leaving the Hotspur and what does he do?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)