|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower suggest could be used from the document?
(a) That they could set up an ambush at the location mentioned.
(b) That they could use Josephine's signature to make Napoleon doubt her.
(c) That they could use Napoleon's signature to create a false treaty that would then be circulated.
(d) That the seal and signature could be copied and false orders created.
2. What does Hornblower tell the men on the longboat to do?
(c) Wait for an answer.
(d) Prepare to die.
3. What do the English do after the fighting?
(b) Batten down the hatches to seal off the watch below.
(c) Prepare for another fight as they let the sleeping watch come topside.
(d) Set fire to the ship.
4. About whom are the signals concerned?
(a) The Captain of the Papillion.
(b) Barry I. McCool.
(c) The Captain of the Josephine.
(d) The Captain of the Epérance.
5. What is Hornblower to keep McCool from doing?
(a) Writing to the French command.
(b) Committing suicide.
(c) Talking to any crew member.
(d) Writing any letters to his family.
6. What is the end result of Hornblower delivering the false orders to Villeneuve?
(a) Hornblower is promoted once more.
(b) Hornblower is imprisoned for several years as he is caught.
(c) It is never said.
(d) The battle of Trafalgar.
7. What does Hornblower suggest to Baddlestone about the papers from the French brig?
(b) That they should be turned over to the admiralty.
(c) That he should burn them.
(d) That he should try to get a good price for them.
8. What is the most important thing that Hornblower takes from the French brig?
(a) Being able to tell Meadow's wife of his heroism.
(d) A sense of pride.
9. What does Sawyer call for immediately after talking with the lieutenant of the prize crew?
(a) For the Captain of the Epérance to be traded for Sawyer's son who is a prisoner at Ferrol.
(b) A court martial of McCool.
(c) For the Epérance to sail for England immediately.
(d) For the Captain of the Josephine to be traded for Sawyer's son who is a prisoner at Ferrol.
10. Who is Mr. Barrow?
(a) The secretary to Admiral Huffington.
(b) The Prince of Wales' aide de camp.
(c) The assistant to the secretary to the admiralty.
(d) The secretary to Admiral Pembroke.
11. What bargain does McCool strike with Hornblower?
(a) McCool can kill himself by pretending to overpower Hornblower.
(b) McCool will be silent if Hornblower will get him a pint of ale.
(c) No bargain.
(d) McCool's silence for Hornblower delivering a letter to his widow.
12. To what ship is Hornblower assigned?
(a) HMS Renown.
(b) HMS Shannon.
(c) HMS Leopard.
(d) HMS Nelson.
13. What is the most important thing about the letter?
(a) The dates mentioned.
(b) The seal and signature.
(c) There is nothing important about it.
(d) The locations mentioned.
14. What do they need to implement Hornblower's suggestion?
(a) Permission from the Prince of Wales.
(b) Permission from the King.
(c) A forger.
(d) Permission from the Admiralty.
15. How is Hornblower feeling as he arrives home?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will Hornblower be shortly meeting after he says yes to the mission?
2. Who does Meadows charge?
3. What does Hornblower order the men to do to the French brig?
4. How does Maria act when Hornblower arrives?
5. What does McCool give Hornblower?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)