|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Hornblower meet?
(a) The Prince of Wales' aide de camp.
(b) Mr. Marsden.
(c) Admirals Pembrook and Huffington.
(d) Admiral Pembrook.
2. What does Hornblower tell the men on the longboat to do?
(b) Wait for an answer.
(c) Prepare to die.
3. How does Hornblower find McCool to be?
(b) Calm, polite, and likable.
4. What do the English do with the two long boats?
(a) Keep them moored to the Princess.
(b) Board them an head for land.
(c) Take them to the French brig.
(d) They are sunk.
5. What is Hornblower's special duty?
(a) To join the prize crew.
(b) To signal the moment by moment account of the court martial.
(c) He is not given a special duty.
(d) To guard McCool.
6. Who will Hornblower be shortly meeting after he says yes to the mission?
(a) Count Miranda.
(b) Duke Ballard.
(c) Count Velaquez.
7. Who is Mr. Barrow?
(a) The secretary to Admiral Pembroke.
(b) The assistant to the secretary to the admiralty.
(c) The Prince of Wales' aide de camp.
(d) The secretary to Admiral Huffington.
8. Who does Meadows charge?
(a) The French captain.
(b) No one; he is not on the boarding crew.
(c) A large burley seaman.
(d) Three French marines.
9. What does Hornblower order the men to do to the French brig?
(a) Set it afire.
(b) Sink it.
(c) Destroy it as much as possible.
10. How old is Hornblower at the opening of this short story?
(a) About 23.
(b) About 29.
(c) About 31.
(d) About 18.
11. What does Sawyer call for immediately after talking with the lieutenant of the prize crew?
(a) For the Captain of the Epérance to be traded for Sawyer's son who is a prisoner at Ferrol.
(b) For the Epérance to sail for England immediately.
(c) A court martial of McCool.
(d) For the Captain of the Josephine to be traded for Sawyer's son who is a prisoner at Ferrol.
12. What is the end result of Hornblower delivering the false orders to Villeneuve?
(a) Hornblower is promoted once more.
(b) Hornblower is imprisoned for several years as he is caught.
(c) The battle of Trafalgar.
(d) It is never said.
13. What do the English sailors do?
(a) Sink the long boat.
(b) Quietly stike the Princess' sails.
(c) Drop into the longboat and kill the crew.
(d) Change clothes with the French sailors.
14. What does Hornblower decide to do with the sea chest?
(a) Send it on to the widow with the cash.
(b) Give it to Captain. Sawyer.
(c) Toss it overboard.
(d) Send it on to the widow without the cash.
15. What does Hornblower mention about Ferrol?
(a) That he was born near there when his English parents were visiting some family.
(b) That he was a prisoner of war there once.
(c) That he has relatives on his father's side there.
(d) That he spent a winter there before the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baddlestone do to the French sailors who are pouring out from below deck?
2. What do the men confined below decks do?
3. What do the English do after the fighting?
4. To what ship is Hornblower assigned?
5. What is Hornblower contemplating as he leaves the admiralty?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)