|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the admiral tell Hornblower?
(a) To go get something to eat and then report to his new post.
(b) To take the sealed packet to London.
(c) To go home and wait for new orders.
(d) To wait for his new command there.
2. What does Sawyer call for immediately after talking with the lieutenant of the prize crew?
(a) For the Captain of the Epérance to be traded for Sawyer's son who is a prisoner at Ferrol.
(b) For the Epérance to sail for England immediately.
(c) A court martial of McCool.
(d) For the Captain of the Josephine to be traded for Sawyer's son who is a prisoner at Ferrol.
3. Who lectures Hornblower?
(a) Admiral Nelson.
(b) Admiral Leighton.
(c) Admiral Cornwallis.
(d) Captain Sawyer.
4. What does Baddlestone do to the French sailors who are pouring out from below deck?
(a) Shoots them with a nine pounder.
(b) Shoots the lead men with his pistol to slow the others down.
(c) Throws oil on the deck to make them slip up.
(d) Gives them a cheerful wave.
5. How old is Hornblower at the opening of this short story?
(a) About 18.
(b) About 31.
(c) About 23.
(d) About 29.
6. What bothers Hornblower about the letter from McCool?
(b) The platitudes.
(c) The pictures.
(d) The poem.
7. What impresses Marsden about Hornblower?
(a) Hornblower's willingness to do what needs to be done.
(b) Hornblower's intelligence and powers of observation.
(c) Hornblower's keen insight.
(d) Hornblower's connections.
8. What does Hornblower mention about Ferrol?
(a) That he was a prisoner of war there once.
(b) That he was born near there when his English parents were visiting some family.
(c) That he spent a winter there before the war.
(d) That he has relatives on his father's side there.
9. Of what are the newspapers critical?
10. What is Hornblower's opinion about Ireland?
(a) He strongly supports England's stance.
(b) He strongly supports Ireland.
(c) He is ambivalent.
(d) He has not particular opinion.
11. What does the secretary believe about the weighted packet?
(a) That it is authentic but of no special importance.
(b) That it is of Dutch rather than French origin.
(c) That it is not a ruse de guerre.
(d) That it is not authentic.
12. What follows after Hornblower is shown leaving the admiralty?
(a) A look at how the orders are forged.
(b) Hornblower saying goodbye to Maria.
(c) An author's note.
(d) How he gets to see Villeneuve.
13. How long does the court martial last?
(a) 10 hours.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 3 hours.
14. When is McCool hanged?
(a) An hour after McCool gives Hornblower the letter.
(b) When the fleet returns to England.
(c) McCool jumps overboard and escapes hanging.
(d) In the morning.
15. With what is the document sealed that Hornblower delivered to the Admiralty?
(a) The document is not sealed.
(b) The newest seals of the empire.
(c) The emblem of the Duke of Muscovy.
(d) A seal that Napoleon has not used for several years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Englishmen do upon arriving at the French brig?
2. What does Hornblower decide to do with the sea chest?
3. What is the most important thing about the letter?
4. What does McCool give Hornblower?
5. Who has intercepted Villeneuve?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)