|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hornblower seasick?
(a) Because he celebrated too hard the night before.
(b) Because he is always seasick.
(c) He is not seasick.
(d) Because the princess yaws, rolls and pitches rather badly.
2. Now where is the French fleet headed?
(a) No one knows.
(b) The Mediterranean.
(c) South America.
3. What is vital to keeping Bonaparte from crossing the English Channel?
(a) The French would never dare cross the channel.
(b) Good cannons along the shore.
(c) Reliable spies keeping track of the French fleet's movements.
(d) Concerted movements of the English fleet.
4. What does Hornblower do after his testimony at the court martial?
(a) Gets a boat over to the Shannon to visit his cousin.
(b) Goes to Admiral Leighton's vessel to chat with the Admiral.
(c) Stays on the ship of the line to await a verdict.
(d) Returns to the Princess.
5. Why does the Princess ride high in the water?
(a) Because the hull is narrow.
(b) Because the captain has the sails set for speed.
(c) Because it's trim is set that way.
(d) Because it has no cargo.
6. What does it look like Meadows is doing as the Princess pulls away from Hotspur?
(a) Already disciplining some sloppy sailor.
(b) He's already in his cabin on the Hotspur.
(c) Making his way to the bridge.
(d) Gathering the crew for an inaugural speech.
7. When is it likely the vessel will overtake the Princess?
(a) Within an hour.
(c) The next afternoon.
(d) Several days hence.
8. Who is Prowse?
(a) The sailing master on the Hotspur.
(b) The cook on board the Hotspur.
(c) Baddlestone's source of information.
(d) The judge at the court martial.
9. Who is the Captain of the hoy transferring Hornblower?
10. Why is passage aboard the water hoy uncomfortable?
(a) The Captain will not give Hornblower quarters.
(b) The hoy only has one place to stand comfortably and that's where they ship's owner stands.
(c) She has no ballast and thus rides rough.
(d) It is very damp and smelly.
11. On whom does Hornblower rely in managing the everyday activities of Hotspur?
12. What does Hornblower offer as a plan?
(a) To sink the ship and put the men in the life boats.
(b) To strike French colors.
(c) To hide the number of men aboard.
(d) To abruptly turn windward as the ship approaches.
13. What is watch and watch?
(a) Four hours sleeping in hammocks and four on deck.
(b) A high alert when the French fleet is near.
(c) A way of passing the time by dropping sounding lines.
(d) A game played among the enlisted men.
14. How does Meadows seem to Hornblower?
(b) Competent but cocky.
(c) Highly competent but unsure.
15. To whom is Hornblower wishing luck at the opening of the novel?
(a) Admireal Cornwald.
(b) Lieutenant Bush.
(c) Admiral Nelson.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower learn when Baddlestone demands payment from Meadows?
2. What might Hornblower end up doing?
3. What is Hornblower forced to admit?
4. Why does Hornblower ask permission to talk to Bush?
5. Who pursues the French fleet?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)