|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Princess do?
(a) Stikes French colors.
(b) Has the officers man the guns.
(c) Trims sail and gets ready for battle.
(d) Turns and runs.
2. To what is Hornblower summoned?
(a) Dinner with the Admiral.
(b) A debriefing.
(c) A court martial.
(d) The annual planning council.
3. Why does Hornblower ask permission to talk to Bush?
(a) To be polite, though it's not required.
(b) So Meadows will realize that Bush is an outstanding sailor.
(c) Because Bush is busy.
(d) To ask Bush to have a sailor transfer Hornblower's baggage.
4. What is Calder's assignment?
(a) To rendezvous with Admiral Nelson.
(b) To take the Admiral's flagship to dry dock.
(c) To intercept and destroy the French fleet coming his way.
(d) To reunite two of the smaller English fleets in the Baltic area.
5. What does Baddlestone ask of Hornblower immediately upon Hornblower's arrival on the Princess?
(a) If Hornblower would like dinner.
(b) If Hornblower needed to use the head.
(c) Hornblower's warrant.
(d) If Hornblower could climb the riggings.
6. Who is Calder?
(a) Captain of the Admiral's flagship.
(b) A newly-raised Admiral.
(c) The French general who commands the land troops along the English channel shore.
(d) He commands the passing English fleet.
7. Who huddles below deck?
(a) The extra men on the Princess.
(b) Captain Meadows.
(c) No one.
(d) All the officers on the Princess.
8. What is positive about the cabin?
(a) It is exceedingly comfortable.
(b) It is private.
(c) It has a breeze wafting through it.
(d) It is large.
9. How does Hotspur get off being aground?
(a) Pulled off the sandbar by a merchant vessel.
(b) Pulled off by another vessel in the Channel fleet.
(c) By the action of the rising tide.
(d) Pulled off the sandbar by a French privateer.
10. What is the verdict against Meadows?
(a) All charges dropped without adjudication.
(d) Guilty with extenuating circumstances.
11. What is watch and watch?
(a) A game played among the enlisted men.
(b) Four hours sleeping in hammocks and four on deck.
(c) A way of passing the time by dropping sounding lines.
(d) A high alert when the French fleet is near.
12. How long has Hornblower been involved in the blockade of Brest?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 2 years.
13. How does Bush react to Hornblower's teasing?
(a) With his own teasing.
(b) With umbrage.
14. What does it seem Meadows has done?
(a) Nothing that any other captain wouldn't do.
(b) Deliberately ignore repeated warnings by Bush.
(c) Ignored protocal.
(d) Made a navigational mistake.
15. How does Meadows seem to Hornblower?
(a) Competent but cocky.
(d) Highly competent but unsure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Now where is the French fleet headed?
2. Why is Princess going against her course?
3. What is spotted a few days later?
4. What is passing by as Hornblower comes up on the deck of the Princess?
5. When is it likely the vessel will overtake the Princess?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)