|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 2 and 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rank is Hornblower at the opening of the novel?
(b) Acting Admiral.
2. Why does Hornblower ask permission to talk to Bush?
(a) Because Bush is busy.
(b) To be polite, though it's not required.
(c) So Meadows will realize that Bush is an outstanding sailor.
(d) To ask Bush to have a sailor transfer Hornblower's baggage.
3. What is the Hotspur blockading?
(a) A French merchant fleet.
(b) A Dutch squadron.
(c) A French squadron.
(d) A Dutch merchant fleet.
4. Why does the Princess ride high in the water?
(a) Because it's trim is set that way.
(b) Because the hull is narrow.
(c) Because it has no cargo.
(d) Because the captain has the sails set for speed.
5. What is Calder's assignment?
(a) To take the Admiral's flagship to dry dock.
(b) To reunite two of the smaller English fleets in the Baltic area.
(c) To rendezvous with Admiral Nelson.
(d) To intercept and destroy the French fleet coming his way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower examine aboard the Princess?
2. Who interrupts Meadows reading his orders?
3. What horrifies Hornblower about what Baddlestone says?
4. What puts a hole in the Hotspur?
5. Where does Hornblower invite Meadows to receive the ship's papers?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)