|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cornwallis want Hornblower to intercept the fleet coming from South America?
(a) He knows Hornblower can keep a secret.
(b) He wants his best leaders to take it on.
(c) He wants Hornblower to have a chance at prize money.
(d) He wants Hornblower to have a safe mission for once.
2. How is the second French ship harmed when Hornblower makes his night attack?
(a) All of these.
(b) It runs aground.
(c) It is rammed by the third ship.
(d) It catches on fire.
3. How does Hornblower see Maria on the pier?
(a) He goes to the crow's nest.
(b) He sails into the harbor.
(c) He uses binoculars.
(d) He uses a telescope.
4. What increases around the destroyed semaphore?
(a) French army battalions.
(b) Bad weather.
(d) Ships of war.
5. Why is Hornblower not able to speak with Maria?
(a) Hornblower is promoted.
(b) The French attack.
(c) Another gale blows up.
(d) Cornwallis orders him back to sea.
6. What begins to fall apart when Hornblower has been at sea for six months?
(a) The sails.
(b) The flag.
(c) The food storage.
(d) His clothes.
7. Who is replacing Pellew as Hornblower's commander?
8. How does Hornblower feel about domestic life?
(a) He feels fulfilled, but in the way.
(b) He is afraid of messing it up.
(c) He finds it strange.
(d) He loves it.
9. What does arems en flute mean?
(a) Armed like a flute.
(b) Foot soldiers in arms.
(c) Armories emptied.
(d) Fulfilled armories.
10. What does Hornblower make his crew train in during the Winter?
(a) Sailing techniques.
(d) All of these.
11. What does Hornblower do when he makes certain observations about the French after Christmas?
(a) Makes a French contact.
(b) Writes a letter.
(c) Confers with Bush.
(d) Writes it in his log.
12. Why does Hornblower go to Plymouth?
(a) New supplies.
(b) To train his crew.
(c) Repairs on his ship.
(d) A change of station.
13. What positive thing interrupts the monotony on the Hotspur after they leave Plymouth?
14. How did Grimes die?
(a) He was shot.
(b) He drowned.
(c) He fell from the crow's nest.
(d) He hung himself.
15. What was the biggest loss to the French in the night attack?
(a) The ruined ships.
(b) The damaged weapons.
(c) The loss of lives.
(d) The discovered plot.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hornblower appear on New Year's Eve?
2. Who does Mrs. Mason disapprove of when Hornblower is at home for a time?
3. What is the Butcher's Bill?
4. How does Hornblower want his role in destroying the semaphore to appear?
5. What startles Hornblower about Grimes's replacement?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)