|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hornblower disguise the Hotspur as a French ship during the night attack?
(a) He calls out in French.
(b) He flashes three red lights.
(c) He tells his crew to be silent and pulls down the main sail.
(d) He raises a French flag.
2. What causes the Grasshopper to be bested?
(a) It is poorly handled.
(b) It takes on water.
(c) It runs aground.
(d) It is weighed down.
3. Why does Cornwallis want Hornblower to intercept the fleet coming from South America?
(a) He knows Hornblower can keep a secret.
(b) He wants Hornblower to have a chance at prize money.
(c) He wants Hornblower to have a safe mission for once.
(d) He wants his best leaders to take it on.
4. What does Hornblower think the French are doing when he makes observations after Christmas?
(a) Preparing for assault.
(b) Making land maneuvers.
(c) Trying to escape.
(d) Transferring troops.
5. What was the biggest loss to the French in the night attack?
(a) The loss of lives.
(b) The damaged weapons.
(c) The ruined ships.
(d) The discovered plot.
6. What does Hornblower notice about two frigates in the bay after Christmas?
(a) They seem undermanned.
(b) They are riding more lightly.
(c) Their colors don't change when they should.
(d) They are more weighed down.
7. What is the office held by the man replacing Pellew as Hornblower's commander?
(c) Rear Admiral.
8. What upsets Bush when the account of the mortar incident is in the newspaper?
(a) The Grasshopper's captain gets more exposure than Hornblower.
(b) Hornblower is made to look like a fool.
(c) Hornblower's snuffing of the fuse is not mentioned.
(d) Bush is not mentioned at all.
9. How is the second French ship harmed when Hornblower makes his night attack?
(a) It is rammed by the third ship.
(b) It runs aground.
(c) All of these.
(d) It catches on fire.
10. Why did Doughty commit his crime?
(a) He was angry.
(b) He was confused.
(c) He was hungry.
(d) He was dared.
11. What positive thing interrupts the monotony on the Hotspur after they leave Plymouth?
12. What does Hornblower update over the first summer at war?
(a) The history books.
(b) The journey log.
(c) The crew list.
(d) The naval charts.
13. Who is replacing Pellew as Hornblower's commander?
14. Why can Hornblower not get new water when he first gets into the bay?
(a) They have to fight some French guards.
(b) Another storm comes.
(c) The ship has to be fixed.
(d) The men are too sick.
15. Why does Hornblower go to Plymouth?
(a) New supplies.
(b) Repairs on his ship.
(c) A change of station.
(d) To train his crew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What increases in the army encampments on shore after Christmas?
2. How does Cornwallis appear after hearing about the water emergency on the Hotspur?
3. What is Napoleon's armada made up of?
4. What does Hornblower do when he makes certain observations about the French after Christmas?
5. What does Hornblower tell his crew when winter sets in?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)