|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Hornblower search newspapers?
(a) Sightings of French ships.
(b) Mentions of his experiences.
(c) Words from Pellew.
(d) News of the war.
2. What begins to fall apart when Hornblower has been at sea for six months?
(a) The sails.
(b) The food storage.
(c) His clothes.
(d) The flag.
3. Where has Maria sailed from to visit Hornblower?
4. What does Hornblower tell his crew when winter sets in?
(a) They must prepare for surprises.
(b) They must get rest when they can.
(c) They must watch better than before.
(d) They must combat homesickness.
5. What changes at Brest when winter sets in?
(a) The wind.
(b) The temperature.
(c) The visibility.
(d) The number at the blockade.
6. What does Hornblower do while trying to rescue the Grasshopper that amazes his crew?
(a) He returns fire on the French frigate.
(b) He pulls the Grasshopper's captain out of the wreckage.
(c) He puts out a mortar fuse.
(d) He repairs the sails on the Grasshopper.
7. Why was Hornblower looking forward to New Years?
(a) He will receive his promotion.
(b) His wife is coming to visit.
(c) His son should be born around then.
(d) He will get a re-supply for his crew.
8. Why is Hornblower not able to speak with Maria?
(a) Hornblower is promoted.
(b) Cornwallis orders him back to sea.
(c) Another gale blows up.
(d) The French attack.
9. Why does Cornwallis want Hornblower to intercept the fleet coming from South America?
(a) He wants Hornblower to have a safe mission for once.
(b) He knows Hornblower can keep a secret.
(c) He wants Hornblower to have a chance at prize money.
(d) He wants his best leaders to take it on.
10. What negative thing interrupts the monotony on the Hotspur after they leave Plymouth?
(b) Disciplinary functions.
(c) Insect infestations.
11. For what are the changes in winter favorable?
(a) English communication.
(b) English combat.
(c) French offensive.
(d) French escape.
12. What does Hornblower make his crew train in during the Winter?
(b) Sailing techniques.
(d) All of these.
13. What is the smallest daily water ration Hornblower gives his crew during the storms?
(a) 1/2 rations.
(b) 3/4 rations.
(c) 1/3 rations.
(d) 2/3 rations.
14. How many gales come up in the same fall month?
15. How does Hornblower plan to deal with Doughty?
(a) Execute him himself.
(b) Court martial him.
(c) Punish the officer who Doughty stroke.
(d) Let him escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. What increases in the army encampments on shore after Christmas?
2. What is Napoleon's armada made up of?
3. What kind of ship is the Grasshopper?
4. What upsets Bush when the account of the mortar incident is in the newspaper?
5. Where will the story of Hornblower's success be published?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)