|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower reminisce about during the storms?
(a) His first days on a ship.
(b) His time off during peace.
(c) His experiences with Pellew.
(d) His wife.
2. Why is Hornblower not able to speak with Maria?
(a) Another gale blows up.
(b) The French attack.
(c) Hornblower is promoted.
(d) Cornwallis orders him back to sea.
3. What happens to the weather when the Hotspur runs low on water?
(a) It falls into a routine.
(b) It becomes erratic.
(c) It gets dirty.
(d) It grows calm.
4. Where has Maria sailed from to visit Hornblower?
5. What does Hornblower do when he makes certain observations about the French after Christmas?
(a) Confers with Bush.
(b) Makes a French contact.
(c) Writes it in his log.
(d) Writes a letter.
6. Who does Mrs. Mason disapprove of when Hornblower is at home for a time?
7. What does Hornblower regret after getting his first dinner from Grimes's replacement?
(a) His sadness about losing Pellew.
(b) His insistence that the new steward stay in Grimes's old cabin.
(c) His pre-occupation with business.
(d) His cold reception of the new steward.
8. Why can Hornblower not get new water when he first gets into the bay?
(a) They have to fight some French guards.
(b) The ship has to be fixed.
(c) The men are too sick.
(d) Another storm comes.
9. How does Hornblower appear on New Year's Eve?
(a) Distracted and upset.
(b) Thin and sickly.
(c) Haggard and strange.
(d) Tired and worried.
10. Why did Doughty commit his crime?
(a) He was confused.
(b) He was angry.
(c) He was dared.
(d) He was hungry.
11. What does Hornblower make his crew train in during the Winter?
(a) All of these.
(d) Sailing techniques.
12. How many gales come up in the same fall month?
13. What does Hornblower update over the first summer at war?
(a) The crew list.
(b) The journey log.
(c) The naval charts.
(d) The history books.
14. What increases in the army encampments on shore after Christmas?
(a) The cannons.
(b) The cooking fires.
(c) The shipping lines.
(d) The training exercises.
15. What do the men on the ship have to man three out of four hours during the storms?
(a) The cannons.
(b) The water pumps.
(c) The forecastle.
(d) The crow's nest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Napoleon's armada made up of?
2. What was the biggest loss to the French in the night attack?
3. How does Hornblower want his role in destroying the semaphore to appear?
4. What month does the Hotspur run low on water?
5. How long is Hornblower told to wait in station when he asks permission to find water?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)