|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Hornblower search newspapers?
(a) Sightings of French ships.
(b) News of the war.
(c) Words from Pellew.
(d) Mentions of his experiences.
2. What is Napoleon's armada made up of?
(a) Overtaken French ships.
(b) Captured Spanish frigates.
(c) Old slaving vessels.
(d) Very small boats.
3. What positive thing interrupts the monotony on the Hotspur after they leave Plymouth?
4. How many gales come up in the same fall month?
5. Who points out the change in Hornblower on New Year's Eve?
6. What does Hornblower order his men to sleep next to after New Year's?
(a) Their bunks.
(b) Their clothes.
(c) Their guns.
(d) Their bunkmates.
7. What is the smallest daily water ration Hornblower gives his crew during the storms?
(a) 2/3 rations.
(b) 1/2 rations.
(c) 1/3 rations.
(d) 3/4 rations.
8. What does arems en flute mean?
(a) Fulfilled armories.
(b) Armories emptied.
(c) Armed like a flute.
(d) Foot soldiers in arms.
9. What month does the Hotspur run low on water?
10. What American ship is anchored in the harbor with the Hotspur?
(a) The Eagle.
(b) The Liberty.
(c) The Constitution.
(d) The Interceptor.
11. How did Grimes die?
(a) He drowned.
(b) He hung himself.
(c) He was shot.
(d) He fell from the crow's nest.
12. What kind of ship is the Grasshopper?
(a) A sloop.
(b) A man of war.
(c) A lugger.
(d) A frigate.
13. What is the punishment for Doughty's arrest?
14. Where will the story of Hornblower's success be published?
(a) The Minutes of the Navy.
(b) The Gazette.
(c) The War Times.
(d) The Continental Journal.
15. How does Hornblower disguise the Hotspur as a French ship during the night attack?
(a) He flashes three red lights.
(b) He raises a French flag.
(c) He calls out in French.
(d) He tells his crew to be silent and pulls down the main sail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower have to do after sleeping a few hours after destroying the semaphore?
2. How was the frigate run aground destroyed?
3. What do the fall gales prevent from happening?
4. Who is Doughty's replacement?
5. Why does Cornwallis want Hornblower to intercept the fleet coming from South America?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)