|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Hornblower been in gales when he is allowed to seek water?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) Seven weeks.
(d) Four weeks.
2. What is the Butcher's Bill?
(a) The list of prisoners.
(b) The list of damage to the ship.
(c) The list of dead and wounded.
(d) The list of needed provisions.
3. What country is the Félicité from?
4. Where does Hornblower go to get fresh water for his ship?
(a) Port Tallin.
(b) Tor Bay.
(c) Ushdale Bay.
(d) Uchtine Harbor.
5. What is Napoleon's armada made up of?
(a) Very small boats.
(b) Old slaving vessels.
(c) Overtaken French ships.
(d) Captured Spanish frigates.
6. Who is replacing Pellew as Hornblower's commander?
7. What does Hornblower hesitate to add to the Butcher's Bill?
(a) The damaged captain's cabin.
(b) Cotard's name.
(c) Grimes's name.
(d) Fresh beef.
8. For what does Hornblower search newspapers?
(a) Sightings of French ships.
(b) Words from Pellew.
(c) Mentions of his experiences.
(d) News of the war.
9. What kind of damage does the Hotspur get during the storms?
(a) Bent masthead.
(b) None of these.
(c) Ripped sails.
(d) Leaking storage units.
10. What do the fall gales prevent from happening?
(a) Effective blockading.
(b) Clear sights.
(c) Practice runs with the guns.
11. What does Hornblower do while trying to rescue the Grasshopper that amazes his crew?
(a) He pulls the Grasshopper's captain out of the wreckage.
(b) He puts out a mortar fuse.
(c) He repairs the sails on the Grasshopper.
(d) He returns fire on the French frigate.
12. What does Hornblower and his crew spend the first summer at war doing?
(a) Scouting the shore units.
(b) Destroying all progress on the semaphore.
(c) Sending information.
(d) Working the blockade.
13. What does Hornblower do when he makes certain observations about the French after Christmas?
(a) Makes a French contact.
(b) Writes a letter.
(c) Writes it in his log.
(d) Confers with Bush.
14. What do the men on the ship have to man three out of four hours during the storms?
(a) The cannons.
(b) The crow's nest.
(c) The forecastle.
(d) The water pumps.
15. How does Hornblower see Maria on the pier?
(a) He uses binoculars.
(b) He sails into the harbor.
(c) He goes to the crow's nest.
(d) He uses a telescope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the punishment for Doughty's arrest?
2. What kind of ship is the Grasshopper?
3. What startles Hornblower about Grimes's replacement?
4. Why did Doughty commit his crime?
5. What is the French identification and follow signal?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)