|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many ships of the lines are with the Hotspur's squadron?
2. What happens to Hornblower when the ship hits open sea?
(a) He goes faint.
(b) He gets hit in the head by a wayward boom.
(c) He has to attend to state business.
(d) He gets seasick.
3. What does Hornblower blame for Cargill's first and almost second failure?
(a) Harsh conditions.
(b) Poorly shifted weight.
(c) Lack of skill.
(d) Nervous demeanor.
4. Who blubbers with fear when the mission with Cotard is about to go underway?
5. Who leads the group of men to the semaphore?
6. How many cannons are on the Loire?
7. Where does Hornblower plot a course after leaving England?
8. What does Cotard claim to be when he is approached by a French guard?
(a) A fisherman.
(b) A merchant.
(c) A defector.
(d) A lost French soldier.
9. Where does the semaphore operator live?
(a) In a cottage on shore.
(b) At the base of the tower.
(c) At the army barracks.
(d) In the main control room.
10. Why is Hornblower unable to have eggs from his personal store?
(a) They are broken.
(b) They are too hard to cook.
(c) They went bad.
(d) They were stolen.
11. Who put some personal stores on board for Hornblower?
(b) Mrs. Mason.
12. Where is Cotard hailed by a guard?
(a) The rock beach.
(b) The jetty.
(c) The landing dock.
(d) The semaphore.
13. Why do the French merchant ships stay close to the shore?
(a) So they can accrue more goods.
(b) So they can deliver their goods.
(c) So they are protected.
(d) So they don't get lost.
14. What is Hornblower's wife's name?
15. How does Hornblower feel about the man who was too fearful to go with Cotard?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cargill's position on board?
2. Who calls on Hornblower shortly after his wedding?
3. What does Bush blame for Cargill's first and almost second failure?
4. What was Hornblower's title when he first met Pellew?
5. What is the Hotspur responsible for after the multi-tiered system is in place?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)