|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is so shocking to Hornblower about the announcement from Cornwallis?
(a) He will get more money.
(b) He cannot get new supplies for his men.
(c) He won't see his child till it is much older.
(d) He will have a new leader.
2. Why is Hornblower unable to have eggs from his personal store?
(a) They went bad.
(b) They were stolen.
(c) They are broken.
(d) They are too hard to cook.
3. What gift does Hornblower get from his wife before he sets sail?
(a) A revolver.
(b) A scarf.
(c) Some gloves.
(d) A sword.
4. What does Hornblower have men count as they pass Brest Harbor?
5. What does Cotard claim to be when he is approached by a French guard?
(a) A defector.
(b) A fisherman.
(c) A lost French soldier.
(d) A merchant.
6. What does Hornblower hear from Maria?
(a) She is very ill.
(b) She is leaving him.
(c) She is coming to visit.
(d) She is pregnant.
7. What station does Pellew hold?
8. What is Grimes's first name?
9. How far along is Maria in her pregnancy when Hornblower learns about it?
(a) One months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Four months.
(d) Three months.
10. What is the first order Cargill fails to manage for Hornblower?
(a) A tack.
(b) A realignment.
(c) A watch.
(d) A full report.
11. Why does Hornblower talk to Cotard?
(a) He has worked with Pellew in the past.
(b) He is close to Cornwallis.
(c) He speaks perfect French.
(d) He has a place on the next mail ship.
12. What is the downside of the success at the Semaphore?
(a) Many Englishmen died.
(b) The French caught them.
(c) They could not destroy the code.
(d) A last message got through.
13. What does Bush do after the wedding celebration?
(a) Gathers the seamen.
(b) Hires new crewmen.
(c) Readies the ship for sailing.
(d) All of these.
14. What does Hornblower feel he has to balance at the beginning of the book?
(a) His command and his respect.
(b) His duties and his wishes.
(c) His courage and his fear.
(d) His bride and his career.
15. How does Hornblower fix the trim of the ship?
(a) He has the tack made correctly.
(b) He puts up an additional sail.
(c) He takes down two smaller sails.
(d) He moves two cannons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls on Hornblower shortly after his wedding?
2. Who managed most of Hornblower's wedding?
3. What necessitated the multi-tiered system?
4. What irritates Hornblower about his wife after their marriage?
5. What office does Hornblower hold at the beginning of this book?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)