|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the person Hornblower meets with after his wedding describe the Peace of Amiens?
2. What does Hornblower teach Grimes to do?
(a) Make coffee.
(b) Prepare tea.
(c) Poach an egg.
(d) Slice bread.
3. How does Hornblower get his last glimpse of Maria before sailing away?
(a) He gets into the crow's nest.
(b) He stands on the foremast.
(c) His uses binoculars.
(d) He uses a telescope.
4. Why is Hornblower unable to recognize the honor sent to him from the French ship?
(a) He is colorblind.
(b) He is on the other side of the ship.
(c) He cannot understand French.
(d) He is tone deaf.
5. What is inside the package with the orders sent by Hornblower?
(a) Gold coins.
(b) A French flag.
(c) A mask.
(d) Some new maps.
6. Why do the French merchant ships stay close to the shore?
(a) So they are protected.
(b) So they don't get lost.
(c) So they can accrue more goods.
(d) So they can deliver their goods.
7. What does Hornblower blame for Cargill's first and almost second failure?
(a) Harsh conditions.
(b) Poorly shifted weight.
(c) Nervous demeanor.
(d) Lack of skill.
8. What is the first order Cargill fails to manage for Hornblower?
(a) A watch.
(b) A tack.
(c) A full report.
(d) A realignment.
9. Who leads the marines after Cotard gets safely on shore?
(a) Captain Jameson.
(b) Captain Jones.
(c) Captain Jenkins.
(d) Captain Johnson.
10. What irritates Hornblower about his wife after their marriage?
(a) Her traditional values.
(b) Her staunchness.
(c) Her passiveness.
(d) Her tenderness.
11. What has caused Hornblower to be away from sea for so long at the beginning of the book?
(a) The end of the war.
(b) The Peace of Amiens.
(c) His lack of education.
(d) His formal training.
12. How does Hornblower feel about the man who was too fearful to go with Cotard?
13. Who managed most of Hornblower's wedding?
14. Who has made the ship ready to sail?
15. What is Pellew's first name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hornblower unable to have eggs from his personal store?
2. What announcement does Cornwallis make when Hornblower leaves the Hotspur for the first time?
3. When does Hornblower think the fleet should attack Brest?
4. Hoe many cannons are on the Hotspur?
5. How many ships of the lines are with the Hotspur's squadron?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)