|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Hornblower on the Hotspur before he steps off it for the first time?
(a) Seven weeks.
(b) Nine weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Eight weeks.
2. Why did Hornblower not put personal stores in place for himself?
(a) He was on half pay while on shore.
(b) He has debts to pay down.
(c) He gave money to Maria.
(d) He is still not used to being in command.
3. Who blubbers with fear when the mission with Cotard is about to go underway?
4. What kind of jam is in Hornblower's personal stores?
(b) Black current.
5. Why is Hornblower so tense when the Loire is pursuing the Hotspur?
(a) He has less than half the cannon power.
(b) His ship is half the size.
(c) All of these.
(d) He does not know the political status.
6. Who has made the ship ready to sail?
7. How does Hornblower feel about the man who was too fearful to go with Cotard?
8. How many cannons are on the Loire?
9. What is Grimes's first name?
10. What is the Hotspur responsible for after the multi-tiered system is in place?
(a) Relaying messages.
(b) Scouting for troops.
(c) Gathering information.
(d) Blockading Brest.
11. What does Pellew's ship give to the Hotspur?
(a) Maps and letters.
(b) Water and letters.
(c) Food and ale.
(d) Directions and ammunition.
12. What does Hornblower teach Grimes to do?
(a) Prepare tea.
(b) Slice bread.
(c) Poach an egg.
(d) Make coffee.
13. What does a French war ship do as they pass the Hotspur?
(a) Sing out their own anthem.
(b) Fire a blank shot.
(c) Play England's anthem.
(d) Raise a white flag.
14. How long do Hornblower's personal stores last?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few months.
(c) Half a year.
(d) A few weeks.
15. What happens to Hornblower when the ship hits open sea?
(a) He gets seasick.
(b) He goes faint.
(c) He has to attend to state business.
(d) He gets hit in the head by a wayward boom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower blame for Cargill's first and almost second failure?
2. What does Cotard claim to be when he is approached by a French guard?
3. How is Brest primarily accessed?
4. How does the person Hornblower meets with after his wedding describe the Peace of Amiens?
5. What does Hornblower realize he is doing for the first time as he leaves England?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)