|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower take care with as far as the loading is concerned?
2. What is the name of the privateer Hornblower captures?
3. Why is Atropos unprepared for immediate departure?
4. About what does Maria fret?
5. What angers some of the onlookers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fascinates Hornblower about the boat on which he is riding?
2. Describe Maria Hornblower.
3. How does Hornblower help the captain of the boat?
4. What does Hornblower do when he hears a shot in the foggy distance?
5. Who and what does Hornblower take on board at Gibraltar?
6. Why does the boat stop and what is the captain's concern?
7. Why is Hornblower introduced to the Prince of Seitz-Bunau.
8. What do the Hornblowers board after the canal board and where does that take them?
9. How is Hornblower feeling and why is it a blessing in disguise?
10. What happens to cause a crisis for Hornblower and what is his first response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
C. S. Forester often uses historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Hornblower and the Atropos qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If many of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. Do you think the culture of that era is more or less advanced than you imagined? Explain.
4. Would you enjoy living in this era? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Hornblower and the Atropos is one book in a series of novels involving Horatio Hornblower. Discuss the following.
1. What is one advantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters?
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Because this novel centers around life at sea, it is quite helpful to have a basic understanding of nautical terminology and the types of ships and their armaments that were used during the early 1800s. Discuss the following:
1. Define ten of the most commonly-used shipboard terms and discuss how those terms are used in Hornblower and the Atropos.
2. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the ships used in the early 1800s? Think perhaps about such aspects as speed, pollution, how easily repairs are made, etc.
3. How is the British navy organized during this period (early 1800s) and how different do you think it is organized today (including how one rises in rank. This may require some research.
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)