|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who fights a duel?
(a) McCullum and Jones.
(b) McCullum and the Prince.
(c) McCullum and Lieutenant Jones.
(d) McCullum and Eisenbeiss.
2. What will happen to Eisenbeiss if McCullum dies?
(a) Monetary penalty.
(b) Nothing; it was a fair duel.
(c) Imprisonment for life.
(d) Flogging or worse.
3. Where is the fuse placed?
(a) In the water by the hull.
(b) In a floating barrel.
(c) A watertight barrel.
(d) In a hole in the sand.
4. What does the Mudir use as a reason that the Atropos should stay longer?
(a) Food is coming in by overland caravan.
(b) The townspeople are worried about marauders.
(c) A plague.
(d) Pirates nearby.
5. What does Eisenbeiss do as soon as the ship is still?
(a) Tries to slip away from the ship.
(b) Goes ashore to search for laudanum.
(c) Goes ashore to see if he can find a surgeon.
(d) Performs surgery on McCullum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will prevent entrance into the sunken Speedwell?
2. What does Hornblower assume about the Mudir's request?
3. Who accidentally falls overboard?
4. What size guns does the other English frigate bear?
5. Where does Atropos see the Castilla?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Atropos crew pass the time while the salvage operations are being conducted and how much is ultimately recovered?
2. Why does Hornblower believe the second attempt at explosives is unsuccessful and what does McCullum explain?
3. Describe the Atropos' escape from the Marmorice Bay.
4. What does the Mudir tell Hornblower and what are Hornblower's assumptions from the information?
5. Describe the beginning preparations for the salvage operation.
6. What does Hornblower find when he returns to the Atropos?
7. Where does Atropos head after Malta and what does Hornblower do during the voyage?
8. What does Hornblower tell Eisenbeiss concerning the duel and McCullum?
9. Where does Atropos sail and from whom does Hornblower receive a dinner invitation?
10. What does Hornblower suddenly notice about two deserted fortresses?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)