|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Hornblower try to convince the Turks?
(a) He is fleeing a French man-o-war.
(b) He is searching for a French squadron.
(c) He is waiting for a French privateer.
(d) He is fleeing an American privateer.
2. Where does Atropos go with the treasure?
3. How does Hornblower gain information from McCullum?
(b) McCullum is still too ill to be of any help.
(c) By threats.
(d) Patience and humility.
4. With whom is Hornblower invited to dine?
(a) The Governor.
(b) The Captain of a Dutch merchant vessel.
(c) The Admiral of the Maltese fleet.
(d) The chief of the predominant native tribe.
5. What surprises Hornblower?
(a) The French man-o-war Lafayette is attacking the Castilla.
(b) The Castilla chases the Atropos.
(c) There are two English frigates surrounding the Castilla.
(d) The Castilla is listing badly in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much fuse do they need for the explosives?
2. Where does Hornblower take Atropos in her bid for freedom?
3. What does McCullum determine has to be done to recover the last container of gold?
4. To where does Atropos set sail?
5. Who goes ashore to make purchases?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe McCullum and his divers.
2. How does the Atropos crew pass the time while the salvage operations are being conducted and how much is ultimately recovered?
3. Describe the capture of the Castilla.
4. What does Hornblower think is good news?
5. What besides the fortresses has appeared to cause problems for the Atropos?
6. What does Hornblower see at Cartagena that surprises him, and what does he do?
7. What does Eisenbeis explain to Hornblower about McCullum's wound?
8. What does the Mudir tell Hornblower and what are Hornblower's assumptions from the information?
9. Describe Eisenbeiss.
10. What does Hornblower suddenly notice about two deserted fortresses?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)